Hot-pressed, dark-stoved Virginias are supplemented by Burley varietals and flavored with licorice, maple and tonquin bean essence.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blended ByGawith, Hoggarth & Co
FlavoringLicorice, Maple, Tonquin Bean
Strength
Taste
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable
cobacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cobacco (48)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

It's really nice to find another aromatic that I actually want to smoke. I put this on the shelf with my Old Crooner, GH Twists, 1792, etc. Those black plasticised creations that smell like cough syrup can sit in the fridge or perhaps become car fresheners. Scented Flake is truly unique and high quality tobacco. I found it very easy to roll and stuff into my pipe. Easy to smoke and very long lasting with no bite and no mess in the pipe. And this is 100 percent smokable tobacco right to the bottom of the bowl. The flavor reminds me of spice gum drops and becomes more intense during the last half of the bowl. Medium strength with a very nice predictable build up of N. I keep mine double bagged as the scented can easily fill a room, but you'd have to say pleasant bag note, room note, and beard note. Excellent before bed as one can spend the night not smelling like a camp fire. I've smoked this with peppermint tea and chamomile tea and it was quite nice.

Pipe Used: MM Diplomat COB

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

Purchased From: smokingpipes

Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

Russell's reviews of both the scented and aromatic versions of this one piqued my interest so I placed an order. I couldn't find the aromatic, but I did find the scented and unscented versions.

2 ounces of the scented version arrived in a zip lock baggie and although damp to the touch but not wet; very pliable as a flake. The bag aroma was strong on something (which I smelled through the closed baggie) - Russell called it myrrh and he may be right in that. Overall it had a strong presence of forest - pine but not pine - with a faint sweetness. Admittedly, as a scent it was a bit off-putting. I ripped a chunk off an end of two flakes that were stuck together and loaded a slim billiard I use for new blends that I am not sure whether or not I will like. Pre-draw revealed more of the myrrh and I thought, "Oh, no. What have I gotten into here!"

Surprisingly, this was tasty in a way never before experienced by me. It certainly wasn't Lakeland in the traditional sense, meaning it wasn't perfumy nor over-the-top floral. It was more incense-like and quite enjoyable. Very hard to categorize for me in this regard. I, too, could not detect the tonquin. However, it had a persistent sweetness which was from time to time reminiscent of vanilla, but I feel it was more of the maple. I think the licorice in this is what I am calling myrrh since the taste of it while smoking is reminiscent of Sen Sen gum which is licorice-based and has a similar taste. When you have this many flavorings in a tobacco, you have to have an expert blender behind it otherwise it would become intolerable. It smoked cool and considering the casings, there was no moisture buildup in the bowl or goop left over. I can't say at this early stage that BFS would ever become an everyday smoke for me, or a favorite, but it was very good. The room note was excellent and the smoke only got better as it progressed to the where there was no tobacco left to smoke - plus great for DGT! A nice sweetness throughout and never cloying. Nothing remotely ashy about this one. If G&H had a flake named Irish Flake, to me, this would be it. A very high quality offering from G&H that deserves nothing less than a highly recommended with 5 stars!

UPDATE 3-8-13: After only two days, this stuff can grow on you in a way that I wouldn't have thought from my initial reaction to the aroma eminating from the baggie it was contained in. The flavor is so good that you will find yourself at times smoking fast to get more of it, resulting in your being hard pressed to get a tongue nibble let alone bite! As I reconsider this becoming an everyday smoke for me? A resounding YES and another 5 star favorite!!

William H. Hardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
William H. Hardy (31)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

I'm a fan of just about all the tobaccos I've tried from GH. As always, I love their flake presentation and love thier tobaccos. I've ordered Brown Flake, Scented more than once and have enjoyed it every time that I have smoked it. The Lakeland treatment is not overdone, it's quality tobacco, and there's not a whole lot of other tobaccos that i like better. If you're put off by all Lakeland essence tobacco, then don't try it. But, if you're curious about Lakelands, this would be a very good one to start with, along with #7 Broken Flake. It's not over the top, like Ennerdale, but it's a really good flake tobacco with a little flavor that you probably aren't used to. I have a few pipes dedicated to Lakelands and I advise others to do the same, if you plan on smoking them. Anyway, love it or hate it it, it is what it is.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 9;

After Taste = 9;

Raw Score = 54;

Rated Percentage = 90%;

Comment = Very Smooth, Medium Strength, has the Famous Lakeland Floral Flavor, No Bite

Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

You'd better like tonquin or you're wasting your time here. Too much of that topping that overwhelms the high quality tobaccos and diminishes any chance of complexity that the Virginias have to offer. The other added flavors are buried by it, too. Buy the unscented version, which gives the ingredients a fair chance to shine. I only rate this with 2 stars instead of one because it is a quality product, but it's too much of an acquired taste for me. Your mileage may vary.

This is a Virginia/burley flake top flavored with tonka bean oil, in lakeland style, it is very similar to dark flake scented, however, the flake color is brighter than DFS and it is milder in nicotine.

I find the Dark flake scented tastes much better.