Carefully blended from the very finest Virginia tobaccos originally reserved exclusively for the directors of Sobranie.

Notes: Sobranie Reserved Blend. Scottish No.3 Original Virginia Mixture. Sobranie of London,34 Burlington Arcade W.1

BrandSobranie of London
Strength
None Detected, Mild to Medium
Taste
2.5
Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (144)

Upon opening the 20 years+ old tin I am assaulted by a sickly sweet smell and right away I thought I made a mistake. I immediately transferred the tobacco into a jar and after a month, that disagreeable smell is almost gone. The tobacco is a fine cut with some coarse strips.

At first light I was expecting an aromatic but to my surprise, a matured Virginia flavor showed up with an extremely mild topping once in a while. It is a pleasant smoke, smooth and delicately sweet with a fermented taste. It's always a pleasure to smoke an historical blend.

Dark brown to black with a heavy topping tin aroma, although a lot of the excess moisture had dried into the paper cover, turning it very dark. Ribbon cut with a few minor clumps. I had smoked a tin of this somewhere around 1990 or so and was apparently not impressed enough to buy more. Found this on Ebay and was surprised at the lack of aggressive bidding, but I guess others were just as disinterested.

This struck me as a nicely matured Virginia that had unfortunately been covered up with too much flavoring. Couldn't place the flavor, and I'd have to classify it as mild, but it was intrusive to the point that it ruined the smoke. So I let it dry some more and the flavoring dissipated but was still noticeable. It was a sweet, fruity taste but not specifically cherry or peach or whatever. The Virginia underneath was quite tasty and someone who can more easily overlook obvious casings would likely have a better time with this than I did. I recall it not being terribly popular, even in its "heyday". Smoking it, I can see why. It certainly doesn't measure up to its two bigger brothers, the White and 759, nor is it as well resolved as Virginia #10. This may have been made for English smokers that liked a sweeter alternative. If you can find a tin on the cheap and you're curious, by all means go for it. But it's not nearly as good even with 30 years of age on it as many, many other current blends are fresh off the rack.