A mild, lightly sweet blend of choice Virginia leaf. A satisfying, refreshing blend for the all day smoker.

BrandDavidoff

2.4
TheAdversary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheAdversary (4)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

I find it amusing that Davidoff Mild mixture seems to be universally maligned, and reviled with an average rating below 2.0 yet Davidoff Red mixture is rated above a 3.0, but it is exactly the same tobacco! Just in the EU it is called Mild mixture and in the U.S. it is called Red mixture. I don't know where the other reviewers are shopping but a 50g tin sells for about $8 NOT $14. About average, even a bit low in comparison to similar brands.

I did not find it to be heavily topped or cased, what little topping there was seemed to have applied with a deft hand and very light, the tin note was mostly tobacco with maybe a slight hint of vanilla, a hint of nuttiness and that was really stretching my nose to find even that.

It lit well and did not bite whatsoever through the entire bowl, rarely needing a relight. Very pleasant smoke, a bit on the light side, not heavy in vitamin N. It also has an inoffensive room note, keeping "She Who Must Be Obeyed" happy. It is a good "anytime" tobacco for when I can't decide what I am in the mood for and don't want to put a lot of thought into it. I know I can reach for this tin and enjoy a nice predictable thirty minutes or so. Burns well in everything from my cobs to my finicky Ardor Urano. It is also good for trying out and breaking in new pipes. I am smoking it as I type this and all I taste is good quality tobacco. I will be ordering more of this in the future.

Pipe Used: MM cob, peterson Kinsale, tsuge billiard, etc

Age When Smoked: One year

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

poupehan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
poupehan (23)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This one is sold as red mixture as a result of the EU ban on "mild, light, strong,.." etc in tobacco products naming.

I find that a lot of the Davidoff tobacco's are underrated. Price is often a concern, but a tin of red mixture is no more expensive than 3 packs of cigarettes here. I'm not complaining.

Then there is the Davidoff philosophy. Never, in none of their tobacco products (except maybe their cuban cigars, that I never had the opportunity to try), have they done anything other than providing finesse and subtelty and mildness. The crux of their blending wheter it be pipe tobacco, cigars or cigarillos is always a product for which you ought to take your time to savour and enjoy the ride. Do not expect peak experiences in terms of one specific domain (strength, taste, latakia content, spiciness etc...), the essence here is balance. All this is in contrast with another famous brand name (and if you think about it very similar in a lot of ways) : Dunhill (please let the record show I love quite a few dunhill blends). Dunhill will often do the opposite: deliver blends with a lot of latakia, nicotine, extreme toppings,... I supose that if you try davidoff expecting dunhill you will be dissapointed.

So red mixture. Well in short: a typical danish cavendish AROMATIC (there is also a round tin danish mixture, and the difference is not very big). It is indeed a vanilla plus something in aroma, and will taste like coffee with a touch of chocolate. For an aromatic it is average in sweetness. I does not bite the tongue and the room note is agreable. I suppose this is the smoke of choice I you are a diplomat ;-) . I personally love those danish aromatics and in it's genre it did not dissapoint me. Very recomended for lovers of refined (danish) aromatics.

Note. I find it curious that a blend like amphora (red) which I find similar but inferior gets better reviews than this one. But like they say: to each his own.

Note2: The description above could be confusing. I don't remember seeing it described as above. And the davidoff site describes it more aptly as : "This mixture owes its distinctive aroma to a luxurios blend of Black Cavendish tobaccos and the interesting contrast of Virginian Ribbon Cut. This is an exceptional mild blend, which burns smoothly."

Extremely Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I thought this blend would be a virginia mixture of some sort...Imagine my surprise when I opened the tin and discovered it was virginia alright, mixed with some cavandish and sweetened to the point of being sickening.

This is a lite blend that did smoke cool, perhaps because I puffed so slowly. I wish I could tell you I finished the bowl, but frankly, fell short by about half a pipeful.

I hate wasting tobacco, but since I'm not sure this is tobacco, I threw away the tin.

muntajab Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
muntajab (11)

My first experience of it was like that: Well it is a fine tobacco. It leaves a good smell. It burns so hot, and leaves a tongue bite as well. I recommend it for those who use carbon filter pipes; they won't be affected with the tongue bite, and will only enjoy the great taste.

BUT, with the passage of time, i got a totally different experience: After I applied salt cure to my pipe, the Red Mixture or the Mild Mixture burned much better. Of course the secret is not only because of the salt cure, something else also changed. I think my smoking pace was slower. You know it burned so smooth and dry till the end. It seldom went off. I enjoyed the taste so much. The tongue bite might be due to the packing; it might be packed tightly. Another reason of the tongue bite might be that the wetness, but the tobacco dries out in a short time after you open the tin, and you will soon (four days maybe in summertime) enjoy a smooth smoking without tongue bite.

Now I would prefer it even to the Danish Mixture as it is milder and much delicate in flavor. # to enjoy Davidoff MIld Mixture # ?All you need is to open the tin, pack a bowl then close it for about a week. After this period of time it gets dry inside the tin, and then you can enjoy a wonderful taste without a tongue bite whatsoever. Try this and you will know what I am talking about.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (191)
Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Overpriced the same for their cigars. I'll stick to real pipe tobacco thank you.

Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Not my kind of stuff, but still an interesting aromatic. On the same line that Danish Black Vanilla, but relying more on the Black Cavendish and less in the vanilla flavoring. A must try for those who love Planta's offering (and believe me, I know a couple). For the rest, just another decent aromatic worth sampling.

LondoMollari Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LondoMollari (11)

Please see my review of Davidoff Light Mixture. It is much the same, but the Mild Mixture has a slightly more flavorful taste, although this is still a pretty light blend. The tin aroma is still fruity, but this time some depth is added by what seems to be vanilla flavoring. When lit, it burns dry for me and leaves me looking for a glass of water afterwards.

constantsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
constantsmoker (65)

A very pleasant, light Danish-type aromatic. Easy to miss subtle aromas (vanilla and a fruitiness) and taste hints of a 'something else' I can't categorize. After the first couple of puffs, I tasted something akin to stale beer (!), but that (thankfully) disappeared. My sample lit easily, burned steadily and did not bite. A nice blend of Virginias with a light, fragrant aroma and taste that was consistent for the entire bowl. My sample did not seem to have the level of moisture or sweetness reported by other reviewers. However, if you are not into any type of aromatic, the room note might put you off (although, in my experience, women liked the aroma).

This is one of those 'love it or hate it' mixtures. IMHO, this tobacco is worth a try IF you are looking for a mild aromatic.

Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Oh, come on, this tobacco is not as bad as some are saying! I received a tin as a gift from my in-laws, and decided to smoke it even if I don't usually care for aromatics. This one is very typical in its genre, not worse than many others... and at times also decent.

It's a very sweet vanilla-something else flavored blend (with lots of black cavendish), but it's not goopy or sticky. If you smoke extremely slow, it remains moderately sweet and tasty to the very end: of course, if you puff it fast it will become very empty tasting, even a bit sour, and terribly wet. But this is normal: with lots of self-constraint in your smoking pace, this is actually better than other aromatics I have tried.

Of course it is quite boring and monodimensional, and there is little to no tobacco taste... but at least it doesn't bite.

I would never buy a tin, and I wish my in-laws had found something more to my taste... but it was not a bad experience.