The Punchbowle is a classic Mixture, carefully blended with Virginia and a good presence of Latakia. It is a well balanced blend, which smokes cool and has enough body to keep the taste buds occupied without affecting your day to day activities. A great regular smoke for the experienced smoker.

Notes: Blended for John Sinclair Ltd., originally produced in UK by Murray & Sons Ltd.

BrandScandinavian Tobacco Group (STG)
Blended ByBarney's
Taste
1.0
Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (113)

Quite tragic really. This is the first opportunity I have had to kickstart reviews on a particular tobacco and I think it's going to be a bad one. Nevertheless, I must maintain my pretentiously ambiguous journalistic integrity and give this tobacco the full force of my opinion, even if it means putting folk off who might like this or a reduction in sales of this stuff. Aw, who am I kidding? I'd be lucky if anyone to pay attention to me anyway.

Anyway, down to business. I bought this otc to keep me going to till I received an internet order of more amenable stuff. Was a little surprised on opening, the aroma made me wonder if I had got boot polish by accident, a quick peek at the ribbon (this is a ribbon, not broken flake as described above) proved that I had got the right stuff. Packing and lighting were easy as per normal. First smoke was not impressive, there were odd hints of a nice tarry flavour with a dash of cream here and there, but general, pretty hacky stuff. I thought this might be down to residue from my previous smoke in my pipe, even after a good pipe cleaning, so I kept going. Sadly I was much mistaken. The flavour actually got worse in subsequent smokes, even a change of pipe did nothing to change that. After ten smokes, I gave up and took the very sad step of depositing the remains in the bin instead of giving it the viking funeral pyre that any half decent pipe tobacco richly deserves.

Now I hear you say, ten smokes is hardly enough to judge a tobacco and, normally I would agree. I like to think that a full 50g tin is required to properly get to grips with a tobacco, discern it's quality, it's flavour, get the measure of it. However, With every tobacco I have tried, I can firmly say that, by the fifth smoke, I pretty much know whether or not I like a tobacco. After that it's just working out the fine detail. So, yes, ten smokes is enough. One star is about as good as it gets.