A full bodied blend of exceptional dark air-cured and the finest flue-cured Gold Leaf tobaccos. Combined with rare and flavorful Perique tobacco and Samsun Oriental tobacco.

Notes: This is, ostensibly, a re-creation of the blend found in the very old, regional, cult cigarette of the same name that was discontinued some time ago.

BrandD & R Tobacco
Blend TypeOriental
ContentsBurley, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Packaging1.42 oz tin, 14 oz bag
Strength
Extremely Strong
Taste
Very Full

2.9
cobacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cobacco (52)
Very Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I was expecting strong, but what impressed me is flavor! I bought 4oz bulk from Pipes and Cigars and it's the biggest 4oz I've ever seen; perhaps due to the low moisture level. Bag note and flavor remind me of Cornell & Diehl Bayou Night, but this stuff kicks butt! Picayune has an initial flavor of cigarette, but the perique kicks in after a few draws. There's also a very tasty sweet aftertaste which I really enjoy. The shag cut is deceiving when packing the bowl, so go easy and check your draw as you go. Lights easily and behaves very well in the pipe, but it does smoke fast. Flavor is sweet and peppery; good to the bottom of the bowl. Relight is tasty, so if you do get overwhelmed you can set it down and come back later. Strength is Strong+ and I need to take it easy after a third of a medium bowl, but I can enjoy the whole pipe if I pace myself. Great with pale beer or cold water. Nice with coffee, but treat this stuff with respect in the morning! Leaves the pipe clean and dry.

Pipe Used: MM DIPLOMAT COB

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

Purchased From: pipesandcigars

Yellowfan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Yellowfan (5)
Very Strong None Detected Extra Full Strong

I was talking with Mark Ryan about this blend in which he relayed a story to me about a gentlemen who actually passed out smoking this blend. Whether it was the speed at which he smoked it or the device in which he smoked it in, the story does carry with it a certain amount of warning and truth. Truth be told, this blend is spectacular both in it's strength and complexity.

I first smoked this stuff in a car on my way to work one morning and I was salivating at the mouth 10 minutes into it. I typically smoke strong English and VAPE blends. The overt Samsun orientals notes combined with the strong Perique combined so well I was enthralled at the flavors despite the strength. The "room note" is much more milder due to the air and flue cured Gold Leaf tobaccos, providing a smell akin to a smokey/spicy cigarette.

The second time I smoked Picayune was in the evening after the sun went down. I had some espresso roasted coffee and a good book. The slight movement in the air provided a much more rewarding experience since the nicotine content did not hit me as hard. With these conditions, the Oriental and Perique tobaccos really showcased the exceptional quality of this blend.

Overall Impressions - make sure you have some air flow and a nice beverage to counter the strong nicotine content. If you can get past or through the strength you will encounter a most enjoyable and unique pipe tobacco.

Pipe Used: Ben Wade Freehand

Age When Smoked: 32

Purchased From: In bulk, at Indian River Tobacco Traders in Grand Rapids MI

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I absolutely loved Picayune and burned up the tin quickly. I need to get more. The heady strength, high flavor and nostril tickling sensations will peak the senses. Yes, I know some people consider this to be a gold star roll your own and perhaps it is, I just know it to be a gold star performer in my small bowled pipes. For that time when a quick smoke is necessary to stifle the cravings when your wife drags you off to a wedding.

Pipestud

JeffinChi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JeffinChi (1)
Extremely Strong None Detected Extra Full Very Strong

Im going to estimate that for 99 out of 100 pipe smokers out there, this is the strongest tobacco you can stuff into your pipe and smoke. I have never had such a strong pipe tobacco in my life. This is the strongest of the strong, the fullest of the full. A Nicotine "hit" to say the least, more like a rapid injection of vitamin N from an epi-pen. This blend disappeared in the 1960's and originally came in the form of cigarettes. D & R brought it back in the form of pipe tobacco, though I imagaine you can still "roll your own" with this stuff. Except for some obscure foreign tobacco out there that few have heard of and even less have tried, this stuff will probably flatten a good 90-95% of pipe smokers. The only reason I didn't rate it as "overwhelming" is because, for me, its not. I actually enjoy the stuff, maybe because I'm a former cigarette smoker, or a current cigar smoker. I've always enjoyed full strength blends, and this is it. I bought it in a 50g can, the baccy is brown/orange in color and with thin long strands. It looks like a birds nest in a can and its very dry. It's so dry, the "false" light is the only light I use in an entire bowl if I don't neglect it. The taste? As you can imagine, a strong tobacco taste with some acidic dark dark expresso. It's really too strong to detect much else - perhaps some aging will tone it down and bring out some other flavors (if there is anything to bring out). I recommended it because it's a powerhouse blend that one can actually finish (at least I do). The blend is something every full strength loving experienced pipe smoker should try, even if its just one time. If you enjoy only aromatics or light/medium blends, I wouldn't jump into to this as your first "full" strength tabak. If you are looking for an "ultimate" strong strength and flavor blend, this is a great place to start. This tobacco may even be a nice segue from cigarette smoking or full strength cigar fans. Eat a full meal, put an empty bucket next to you, and proceed with caution. You've been warned.

OsborneCox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OsborneCox (4)
Extremely Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

I sure do love me some Picayune. You'd never know that from seeing how much of it I go through - two 3.5oz tubs have lasted me over a year. Yet I smoke it nearly every day. I'm the kind of guy who likes to splash habanero hot sauce all over various foodstuffs, and Picayune has come to serve the same purpose in my tobacco rotation. It's a perfect little shot of hot sauce that goes with anything, in a pipe or a tube.

On its own, Picayune is a beast. The day the first tub arrived I tried it solo in a paper tube. I got about 1/3rd way into it and had to set it down. I felt like I had just had 3 or 4 whole tubes of something else in just a couple of drags, nicotine-wise. (Now, the only time I ever stuff straight Picayune in a tube is when I'm going out someplace where I expect a lot of bumming. I make 4 or 5 Picayunes and when hit up I say "here, if you can finish this you can have another one". A second one has never been requested.) Every once in a while I'll load up one of my small cobs with straight Picayune when I'm in the mood to get shot with the flavor cannon. If one can handle the onslaught, there are a lot of wonderful flavors lurking in there. But I mainly use it to add spice to other blends. Just a tiny little half pinch goes a long way. It goes especially well with Bob's Chocolate Flake.

In a tube I blend it with D&R Three Sails at anywhere from 10-50% of the blend, depending on how much strength I want.

I just purchased my first 1lb bag and plan to age it in Mason jars. I'm very interested to see what a few years does to this stuff.

Pipe Used: Cobs, briars, tubes

M.Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
M.Toney (59)
Extremely Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Strong?... extremely. After a few puffs, I finally found my way to the lounger without aid from anyone... did it by myself. Wow, this is the strongest blend I've ever stoked into a pipe bowl. Has a slight cigar aroma to it & is shag cut. It has a good flavor for such a strong blend. I'll keep a tin of this on hand at all times.

This blend is good to smoke by itself, if you dare, or can be used to add extra strength to wimpy or aromatic blends without changing their flavor all that much. The moisture content is just right for smoking right out of the tin. If you like extremely strong blends & think you're tough, give Picayune a try.

If you roll your own, one king sized cigarette might last you all day long... it's that strong. Was that poetic? You'll only be able to inhale a very small sip, either rolled or stoked & this is undoubtedly one of the strongest blends on Planet Earth. OK... this one merits four stars for flavor and strength.

Pipe Used: Dr. Grabow Size Two

Age When Smoked: Fresh Tin

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Similar Blends: Nothing to compare..

shagsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
shagsmoker (6)
Extremely Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

Holy cow! This stuff will curl your toes on first puffs. Peppery?heck yes tickled my nose just like black pepper. Not sure where the oriental was as mentioned I let it go out at half a bowl. This blend is not for the faint of heart or weak palettes. I will have to give it several more trys before it gets 4 stars. Who on earth would roll this up for a stick of pure power? Complex flavors and a sense of quality tobacco make this worth exploring more, along with a strong cup of coffee.

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (86)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

...Wow! this is a fine ribbon cut tobacco that is robust and definitely full-bodied...Since I enjoy strong Plug/Flake tobaccos, it does not come close to overwhelming me at all...However, I can see that many smokers would find Picayune too far over the top as a regular smoke.

It can burn hot and quick...therefore, I use moisture to control both those aspects...as I do with most Plug/Flake tobaccos. Rather dry in the 14 oz. bag, a few quick sprays was all it required to provide the moisture needed.

To be sure, sipping this mixture is recommended, and bowl size doesn't really make a difference to me...I usually smoke this in a group 4 to 5 size bowl with no issue. It does carry a high nicotine content and I can see where this may be a bit "heady", with the perique.

I give this 4 stars because it is an exceptional mixture, quality tobaccos, and presents itself well. Mark Ryan has done a fine job with this re-creation of the original Picayune tobacco and it will stay in my rotation on a regular basis.

Very much worth a try for those who can appreciate a strong smoke!

...a pipe is to be savored...

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (143)
Extremely Strong None Detected Extra Full Strong

You want to smoke a cigarette with this stuff? By all means! Picayune comes in a fine shag and little moisture in the tin, perfect for rolling papers. It is composed of dark reds, with errant strands of the Perique's blackened leaf hidden deep within the darkened range of colors. The tin note reveals a robust, earthy scent, somewhat tangy, and smokey, similar to a pouch of Levi Garrett or any other variety of chewing tobacco. Perique and Samsun? Sounds like an interesting combination, which was my primary motive in picking this one out, that and the purported strength of the blend, which some have described as intolerable.

This is, by far, the most cigar tasting pipe tobacco blend I have smoked--the flavor is almost identical to that of a strong maduro. I say that having smoked a few bundles of Consuegras from JRs (don't judge me), which is a bit strange, as the blend does not purport to have any cigar leaf, nor even account for that sort of flavor profile. It's an odd smoke when I consider that the few cigar blends I have tried do possess actual cigar leaf, and yet haven't gone any further insomuch as a suggestion of a cigar. Perhaps the inclusion of Latakia in such blends has muddled the character, I can only suppose. Even stranger, the Oriental leaf comes through, to add even more complexity and spice.

The strength is certainly strong, in my opinion, nothing far over the top, if compared to some of the ropes out there, but the blend is so rich in flavor that it would be best smoked by most people in a smaller bowl, and one in which you'd rather isolate what ghost this will obviously impart.

I have never tasted a pipe tobacco like this, and the novelty is full of charm, though likely an occasional smoke, given the described properties. I cannot imagine anyone with the fortitude to make Picayune a regular cigarette--for what purpose does this blend exist other than to test our resolve? Be warned, the strength builds, to the point that I am now wishing for one of those ropes...to put me out of my misery. I'm sorry, I had to put the pipe down. I need a drink.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (127)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

This is wonderful stuff. I buy it by the pound, and it has taken over my pipe smoking from 5 p.m. to dinner time. When the sun gets low, and it's time for an adult beverage, this is the tobacco that stands up to a wee dram and sings. Smooth flavorful tobacco taste in the mouth with just a hint of perique and oriental spice, plus a long, zingy finish in the nose. This tobacco does work best for me with something to cleanse the palate after almost each puff. I find this tobacco very similar to Cockstrong, but a bit more robust with the added zip of perique. In the bag it does have the aroma of some type of essence added, but no flavoring comes through in the smoke. It is a flavorful tobacco with power.

Pipe Used: Deep Bowled Bents

Age When Smoked: Fresh or Aged

Similar Blends: Cockstrong.

Evidently, judging from other reviews, this used to taste pretty good. What I was sent taste like burning paper with a Perique-like flavor. Dry, hot, harsh. Thankfully, I'm now through with these D&R bulk "blends". Never again.

Pipe Used: MM Mark Twain

Age When Smoked: fresh??? bulk

Mr. Bentley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Bentley (17)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

UPDATE: I have to say, as I've been smoking through my tin of this, I am starting to like it better. I'm getting used to the harshness; and it's kind of fun picking the other characterisitics out between bouts of harshness. I'm getting to where I kind of look forward to smoking this- may have to up it to 3 stars soon.

Now here's my original review:

I've been trying all the "strong" tobaccos. In my opinion, this one is not the strongest- but it does possess some harshness; and the shag cut, with it's hot, fast burn tends to accentuate that aspect of it- which, I believe fools a lot of people into thinking that this is stronger than it actually is.

It's not a bad smoke- it's rather hard to classify- as sometimes the harshness is obvious...then you take another puff, and it seems more "English". There's a lot going on in this tobacco....but that harshness manifests itself a little too often and sort of ruins it.

You have to pack this one tight to have any chance of keeping it under control (and tamp it frequently and deeply). There are things I like about it...and things I don't- seems to vary with every puff or two- but overall, I'd say that a rather raw burley seems to pervade.

Would seem more like a cheap old strong drug-store tobacco, were it not for the intermittent kaleidoscope of more refined flavors that alternate through it.

Definitely interesting- I'll smoke my tin, but won't be buying it again. I can get more strength and a much more consistent quality flavor without the harshness from my GH&C ropes or from Irish Flake- but it was interesting to try.

I remember as a teenager I had tried piping- and I had some cheap strong shag tobacco in a can which was harsh and tasted like raw crumbled-up burley leaves...this reminds me of that...only with an overlay of some nicer traits. Too rough around the edges for me.

longlost00 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
longlost00 (22)
Extremely Strong None Detected Very Full Very Strong

OK. This stuff has its place, but it isn't straight into the bowl of a pipe. I tried it the first night it arrived in a cob and managed to make it through a quarter bowl before having to go lie down. It tastes fine, burns well, and generally behaves itself, but the nicotine is overwhelming.

I have since been using this to add to some of my milder burley blends (Uhle's #300, Uhle's #00, H&H's Classic Burley Kake) to give them some strength. This only requires a half pinch, but does require some significant preparation as Picayune arrives in a shag cut and is difficult to break up.

Bottom line is that this is a fine blend but its nicotine content demand it be either smoked sparingly on a full stomach or blended in minute quantities into other blends.

oldcodger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldcodger (63)
Extremely Strong Extremely Mild Very Full Pleasant

D&R Tobacco Picayune pipe tobacco presumably recreates a regional brand of cigarette (also named Picayune) which faded away sometime in the 1960's. When I started college more than a half century ago I also started smoking. Initially I smoked both pipe and cigarettes, but eventually went over to the pipe exclusively. In the mid 60's I happened to be living in a town in West Tennessee which had a store that sold Picayune cigarettes. Although by that time I seldom smoked cigarettes, I bought a pack out of curiosity. The pack proclaimed both "Extra Mild" and "Pride of New Orleans." Extra mild? The Pride of New Orleans was by far the strongest thing that I had ever smoked! I'm not sure where it was produced. This regional brand was manufactored in its final years by Liggett and Myers.

Does this D&R product recreate the now long defunct cigarette? I'm not sure. They both are strong and have a distinct perique wallop. The D&R recipe of burley, oriental, perique and Virginia may or may not be the same. But the D&R offering certainly offers a unique pipe smoking experience.

Open the tin (or bag, I tried the tin) and the tobacco does not have a very distinct aroma, partly because it is unusually dry. It is a shag cut, ribbons of orange and brown with a few dark strands. A blend so dry lights easily. It also burns way too fast, so it demands a very subtle puffing regimen to prevent uncomfortable hotness. The room note presents no problem. It is very much akin to that of the pleasant smell of an unfiltered cigarette (as opposed to the obnoxious bitterness of filter cigarettes).

The taste is full, and the perique is obviously there. Pay attention to your smoking and you can also detect the burly, oriental, and Virginia. It is a full taste albeit not one of outstanding nature. What you note most is the nicotine. The Vitamin N blast of this mixture is awesome! (The only other smoke I have encountered that can match the strength of the nicotine is the French Gauloises cigarette, which I tried several years later out of curiosity.) I am not sensitive to nicotine, but I do not think I could possibly handle back to back bowls of Picayune.

Can I recommend Picayune to other pipe smokers? Yes, but only to that segment that enjoys perique. Those who do not care for the Louisiana weed will find Picayune an abomination.

But what about the potent nicotine wallop? Picayune is not a smoke intended for regular use. It is a change of pace. For those who are sensitive to nicotine, try mixing it with Prince Albert in a 50-50 basis. The taste remains remarkably the same, but the heart palpitation diminishes greatly. Or you could use a Virginia such as McClelland 5100. This provides a reasonably toned down blend, but the Virginia changes the taste somewhat, although not in a bad way.

I have smoked this both in my pipes dedicated to burley and those dedicated to Virginias without ghosting problems.

AcworthAl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AcworthAl (27)
Very Strong Extremely Mild Very Full Unnoticeable

Received a pound of this yesterday from Pipes and Cigars. Love Perique and the price was right. I am not a smoker who can differentiate subtle tastes, e.g. it has a faint taste of Makers Mark with a hint of Dove chocolate. Picayune Pride of New Orleans taste like a burley with Perique. I did not find it overwhelming strong, like Peterson’s Irish Flake. Overall this is a very decent pipe tobacco. Smoke it slow it can bite.

Update you must try this in a corn Cobb!!

Pipe Used: MM Freehand

Age When Smoked: New out of tin

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (104)
Very Strong None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

A good friend of mine gifted this to me and asked me to try this tobacco to see what I thought. Based upon that premise, I really wanted to like this tobacco...

The tin was brimming to the top with a nice shag/ribbon cut of dark black, medium brown, and light brown tobaccos. The moisture level was fairly low, but seemed perfect for packing and lighting. The tin note is slightly sweet, very earthy, with hints of leather and hay. Packs and lights extremely well.

The flavor is almost absent and the only flavor that exists just tastes like smoke. Reminds me of cigarette smoke, but even lighter than that. There definitely was a nose and throat tickle which became more and more pronounced through the bowl. This is very strong tobacco and gave me an almost instant head rush.

The tobacco is of fine quality, but it just didn't suit my tastes or preferences. If you like strong tobacco that will remind you of cigarettes, this may be the one for you. Either that, or perhaps my tastes are just completely off, which I'm not opposed to either.

I have mixed this tobacco with a few other blends that need a bigger kick and are too sweet. It seems to work well to mellow very sweet blends and give them a boost.

Pipe Used: Cob, Billard

Purchased From: Gifted

DeathMetal.org Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeathMetal.org (78)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

Summary: the cross between peppery Perique, dark-fired and Orientals provides a cigar-like flavor to this rich Burley-Virginia mix.

To my taste buds, this blend has a cigar-like taste from the burnt dark-fired colliding with peppery Perique and warm Orientals, but the dominant flavor is Perique. The Burley is thrust into a supporting role, but even the Virginia is dwarfed by the condimental flavors, resulting not in a smooth blend but a rich flavor with undertones clashing at random. Balance will not be found here, and in fact, the unstable flavor profile creates a rancid taste and aftertaste.

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (85)
Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is a good blend overall, if you are looking for St. Nic. It comes close to the nic in G&H and SG blends of ropes and plugs but not quite as strong. It also lacks some of their complexity. I do think it has been topped with licorice root but it is a very light topping that does not interfere with the tobaccos. Yet, it is a good quick smoke that satisfies the cravings. Room not is a little strong so if you are going to be around others that object to smoke a quick shower would be in order before company arrives. I really cannot see this as replacing the stronger blends I have in my rotations but it is a good quick smoke and if money were tight I would pick it up again as it is about 1/2 the price of G&H, SG blends. Still, when I need a quicker smoke I find myself reaching for G&H Dark Bird's Eye over this but that is just my preference. If you like good strong tobacco this is worth adding to an order to try for yourself.