Top quality Green River Toasted Black Cavendish is steamed with the essence of wild berries, black currant and blackberries. The aroma is outstanding and will draw compliments from everyone. The cool smoke allows a subtly sweet berry flavor to come through and is not wet or goopy.

BrandHearth & Home
2.5
Hunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hunter (38)
Mild Strong Full Very Pleasant

Very intense tin aroma. Almost candy-like. I usually don't go for fruity aromatics, but the description intrigued me. So with some trepidation, I filled a small meer to try it out at first.

Very black and clearly heavily topped, it is not sticky or overly wet for an aromatic. I can really taste the berry and black currant while smoking. Wife comments the room note is very hookah-like, but in a pleasant way. Rich, pleasant amounts of smoke and burns to a fine ash. Very mild with no bite, but also very little tobacco taste or aroma. Certainly one to smoke around others. Leaves a slick, somewhat floral aftertaste, the flavor and aroma stays with you throughout the bowl developing evenly to the bottom of the bowl. Finish is slightly tart with overtones of port wine.

Overall, this is a high-quality, mild, balanced and tame aromatic. A nice departure for me, and highly recommended for new aromatic smokers. I will likely keep this in occasional rotation.

Pipe Used: briar, meerschaum

Age When Smoked: Fresh tin

TobaccoMan2012 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TobaccoMan2012 (28)
Mild Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

After smoking a pipe for 3 years now I really have an understanding for what I prefer in terms of tobacco. This blend is probably one of the most unique aromatics I have tried. The strength is rather hard to describe.. almost like some really fine sweet wine. If you are a wine connoisseur or simply want a good blend that tastes like wine, it's definitely this one. To simplify that it is basically like smoking wine but in a good way. The flavor reminds me alot of Middleton's WineBerry but much more complex and rich. In my opinion I have to give it four stars. For all pipe smokers who read this, my message to you: please consider trying.

colonel jpl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
colonel jpl (14)
Mild Very Strong Mild Pleasant

I gave this tobacco a try with great expectations but I came up somewhat disappointed. Heavy berry flavor which covers up the tobacco taste. It hits you when you open the tin strong berry note. It burns well and the room note is nice. The cavendish doesn't come through enough for me.

Pipe Used: briar

Purchased From: smoking pipes

camillako Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
camillako (9)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

I like , I like and I like.

This should be a mandatory first aromatic smoke for all beginners as it has nothing in common with the Mac Burn and other commercial tobaccoes out there that in my opinion are ever so disappointing once lit up.

Aroma is indeed outstanding but kick back and relax once lit, as it is smooth and cool burning and without any afterbite.

One little problem is that the flakes are rather small and hard and thus dont compact well enough to prevent sometimes some of the smaller ones from ending up in your mouth.

quality wise it's extremely even burning (even in the low oxigen air of Bogota, which is an extreme test) and the taste profile is very pleasant and geared towards sweet wine/porto notes.

expect little evolution though thru the bowl as it is what it.

and what it is is berry, berry good.

meerschaumRider Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerschaumRider (5)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

A little harsh when you first open the tin, but levels out nicely after a few days, no bite, wet even after 3 weeks. A customer requested we use this blend to color his bent billiard meerschaum, it was nearly impossible to keep lit, left a gum in the pipe stem that required bristle pipe cleaners to remove and after 4 weeks of coloring (2 on and 2 off) it developed a blue/green (bread mold) color. pipe had to be discarded and a new one started...I wouldn't smoke it in a meerschaum regularly, but it might be ok in a cheap briar.

unixhelp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
unixhelp (7)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Lovely berry, mushroom and port wine flavor, but gooped up every pipe I tried it in. A friend familiar with the blend also had the same problem with this tin and said it wasn't typical of the blend. The blender responded to my inquiry about the quality by politely suggesting I didn't know the chararistics of an aromatic.

Potentially a very nice blend but I question the quality control and consistancy.

mackaydjames Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mackaydjames (10)
Very Mild Extra Strong Very Full Very Pleasant

Let me arrive by mentioning that I'm taking pleasure in a bowl of this blend as I type. Perhaps THE most sumptuous blend I've ever indulged in; it won me over as soon as I busted the seal on the tin. I picked up a sample of this at a recent pipe show; delivered to me by the noble folks at pipesandcigars.com. The blend is perfect for anyone with a head full of sweet teeth; like myself; a SUPER aromatic, if you will. The aroma from the opened tin will perfume your living space almost instantly; BEFORE you set it on fire in a pipe. The taste that comes along with each draw... is like having a glass of tropical fruit juice; one has to try and remember that he/she is smoking. This blend is a cinch to pack for it trickles down into the pipe... like it's anxious to be cremated almost.

It's been granted my passage and... it has made it to the foremost of my personal favorites list; first class.

ewlship Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ewlship (14)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is the first "hearth and home" blend from pipesandcigars.com that I have tried. When I first opened the tin I was overwhelmed by the fruity smell. The first few bowls didn't have much of a berry flavor to them, but sure did have a nice aroma. Earlier on in the tin I found the tobacco to be woody and even mushroom tasting, however after letting it sit for two weeks the mushroom flavor disappeared. At that point the berry flavor really began to come through. The tobacco itself is nice, dark, and chunky. The 1.5 oz tin is lasting me longer than expected. The tobacco stays lit nicely and doesn't leave any dottle or goo. It is a nice clean smoke that doesn't get too hot or bite the tongue. I am going to be sure to try more of this brand, but doubt I will rush out to buy this particular blend again.

bertran Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bertran (6)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The only reason I braved this blend was that it's made by Russ Oulette, a man who has earned my faith time and again. Jet black cavendish cut into big chunks of leaf. Was pleasantly surprised to find that the tobacco was not sticky to the touch, as is so often the case with aromatics. On lighting, the berry flavor starts out clear, then settles into a general sweet flavor. The berry room note is clear and pleasant, to the point that my fiancee has insisted that I maintain a stock of this blend on hand at all times. There is a floral or soapy aftertaste, but its a very mild aftertaste as opposed to being front and center in Mixture 79. Happily, this blend burns clean, generating white ash and little/no dottle. As an aromatic it does tend towards hot, so slow and steady is the name of the game. I also noticed that the slower I smoked it, the more berry flavor I got.

Looking at previous reviews comparing it to Mixture 79, let me say that I am one of the Mixture 79 haters, and I liked this blend.

chetking Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chetking (54)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Any blend that the iconic Russ Ouellette concocts in his mixing parlors at the Habana tobac emporium in Albany, New York has to be taken seriously - this one further enhances his reputation. This is a sweet, almost sugary aro that captivates pipeful after pipeful. I am so tired of fellow scribes who try a bowl or maybe two of a sweet aromatic and their first reaction is: let's trash it! Berry Nice has a delightfully soapy but fragrant topping taste that resembles the much maligned standard (among my fellow reviewers) Mixture 79 - hope this blend like 79 is as resilient. Fact is this is unusually "good stuff" as the advertisement for Snapple says. Smoke it in a hand carved Rhamnus wood pipe you can still buy for cheap from the People's Republic of China on E-Bay. This rough hewn Rhamnus is dedicated strictly to Berry Nice and the flavour continues to flourish. The pipe and leaf combination are complimentary. A heavenly choice especially during summer heat wave weather or for that warm vacation spot. Happy hunting!

BrSpiritus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BrSpiritus (18)
Very Mild Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

When I first opened the bag I was greeted by a rather unpleasant perfume/cologne smell that overpowered the berry flavouring. First bowl confirmed this as the taste was 20x worse than any Lakeland soap I've ever tasted and hence the bowl was dumped out halfway through.