A delightful aromatic blend of burleys and black cavendish infused with the flavor of pomegranate, an exotic fruit originally from the middle East that was a particular favorite in the 18th Century and found growing on the grounds of Mt. Vernon, Monticello and around the homes of other Founding Fathers.

Blended ByCornell & Diehl
Taste
Tamper Dan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tamper Dan (8)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I ordered this blend in bulk form along with a handful of other tobaccos I had never tried. After smelling and inspecting each bag, I held the Founding Fathers blend under my nose and held it there for about ten minutes. My wife asked me to stop because it was "creepy". She said I looked like a drug addict huffing spray paint out of a bag. This stuff seriously smells and smokes amazing. I'd rather not smoke at all than smoke a sticky, sweet, aromatic blend, so I was very pleased with this tobacco. It touches that "middle ground" balance that I look for in a pipe tobacco. Also, for the very first time ever, my wife walked outside while I was smoking this and said that it smelled good. This may not seem like a big deal, but keep in mind that she's smelled the room notes of dozens of different pipe tobaccos and claimed that they all smell the same to her, like cigarettes. So just a warning: if you buy this blend your wife may want to hang out with you while you smoke.

Pipe Used: Savinelli, Viking , Cob

Age When Smoked: 1 day

TheWoodwose Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheWoodwose (17)
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

An excellent mild aromatic.

It does not smoke hot or wet and and smells great while burning. I only notice the fruity notes of pomegranate occasionally but it very nice when I can and it gives a more exotic quality than just your standard vanilla Cavendish.

Plus, you can buy it in bulk for a great price. It's hard to beat that!

Kraft1994 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kraft1994 (54)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

Let me start by saying, Cornell & Diehl are the best at what they do. So much respect it owed to them for the hundreds of fantastic blends. However, this blend was a bit of a let down. I've been on the hunt for a good aromatic as a break from my steady diet of heavy English, Virginia and Deer Tongue blends. This blend was yet another one I can check off the list of candidates. For the positives it is very well cased. Didn't leave a pool of aromatic goo as most cased blends seem to do. It also burned very cool with no tongue bite and gave a fantastic room note. On the down side there is no noticeable flavor to the smoke. The cavendish is bland while the burleys go unnoticed. The pomegranate casing is also not very noticeable in the flavor. Its was there but you really have to do some searching to find it. I enjoy strong bold flavors in my tobacco and this blend just did not cut if for me. However if all you are looking for is a blend with a fantastic room note for smoking around non smokers then this would be a suitable choice. For me though, my hunt for a suitable aromatic continues.

codyp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
codyp (65)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

The tin note of this blend I found very interesting. A pomegranate and sweet virginia tobacco.

This blend did burn smooth, and was pretty free from tongue bite.

The room note was pleasant and different from other tobaccos. Wouldn't really know how to describe it. The taste was alright, but not as good as I would hope for. I think this blend was kind of hard to pull off, even for such a great blender such as C & D.

I wouldn't say to not try this blend, but not one I would buy again.

Pipe Used: H.I.S Egg, Peterson System (Bent), Cob

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (51)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a good aromatic blend. It does have the right amount of Burley and cav. to allow you to taste the tobacco and still burn evenly all the way to the bottom of the bowl, clean and dry. The topping is pomegranate and while sweet has that slight bitterness to it as well. It is always present throughout the bowl but at times is stronger than others. This is not a bad blend I would be good from time to time as a change of pace. However, the wife did not care for the room note and as I near the end of the tin I find it harder to go back to. I doubt I will order another soon.

Age When Smoked: Tin was 6 months old

Burn = 9

After Taste = 9

Raw Score = 54

Rated Percentage = 90%

Comment = Smooth, Mild, very slight fruity Flavor, a whisper of a Bite, McCelland M55 is better

bteddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bteddy (20)

Occasionally I will turn to an aromatic for a change of pace from my steady diet of heavy english and baltic/oriental blends. Through the years I have only found a few blends I could actually smoke and this blend is near the top. Easy packing, easy burning, and a taste that doesn't overwhelm the senses. It is truly an all day smoke. Very little bite if smoked properly and the hint of flavoring is just enough to make you wonder. Delightful.

Paleoman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paleoman (7)

After 5 good pipes of Founding Fathers, I feel better able to give an accurate assessment. I used the same pipe for all five puffs, a Savinelli Oscar Aries 122 billiard.

After my first 3 bowls I would have given it 3 stars, but after settling in to the last 2, I would back off a bit and give it a solid 2 stars. For me, the newness of a blend tends towards the extremes, and by about the 5th bowl I usually, but not always, migrate toward the middle.

What this blend does best is mix the right amount of burley and cavendish to achieve a consistent burn all the way to the bottom of the bowl, while retaining the flavors of the tobacco throughout. The pomegranate flavoring presents most in the first quarter of the bowl. Unlike other reviewers, I never noted the flavoring after that, which is fine because it does not interfere with the tobacco.

As others have noted, the blend does not burn too hot or wet and therefore does not leave the stereotypical aromatic "goop" in the bottom of the bowl.

Now, while the blend of tobaccos and topping is just right, I found something lacking in the overall flavor. It was not unsatisfying, but it was not completely satisfying in overall experience. Perhaps a wee bit of Virginia may give a bit more to the body of the smoke.

I do recommend this for aromatic smokers who are migrating toward the Virginia/Burley/Perique blends as a way to transition their palate, but I will probably not buy another tin as a personal puff. I would like to have had more of the flavoring present throughout the smoke in the absence of the missing element.

Overall, very good, and I will enjoy the rest of tin, but it did not leave a lasting impression.

CowBoy From Hell Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CowBoy From Hell (12)
Strong Very Mild Very Full Pleasant

taste of burly and cavendash, with a sweet fruit taste not too overwheelming but just right smooth a all day smoke

ap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ap (56)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This is a mild smoke with a fresh tart/sweet taste that burns cool and dry. Good aromatic and not an overly sweet flavour.

Kyrob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kyrob (21)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I realize to some in the pipe world, liking an aromatic is akin to someone telling a hard core foodie that they like sliders. I like a good gourmet meal, but sometimes a craving for sliders overtakes me. It's the same with me and aromatics. I get burned out on the Va-Per's and the heavy latakia blends from time to time and I want an aromatic. Founding Father's by Cornell & Diehl certainly has satisfied this urge.

When I opened the tin I was confronted with the standard burley based aromatic look. Loose ribbons in various lengths, with a couple of stems visible, with the various brown hues of the burley dominating the small ribbons of black cavendish. I could definitely smell the pomegranate topping when I opened the lid, and putting my nose to it was very satisfying. It was clean feeling to the touch, and slightly moist like most aromatics, so I let it dry out for about an hour before loading my first bowl.

An unlit sip brought a faint tartness of the pomegranate flavoring to my lips, and the initial puffs filled my mouth with the same refreshing tartness. After the biggest part of the flavor burned off I was left with a simple and uncomplicated burley/cavendish blend that delivered the occasional whiff of the topping. It did not burn too hot for me, and gave me no bite through various bowls, even when I became vigorous when I had it loaded in cobs and meerschaums. It left no residue in my mouth, burning to a gray ash, and none in my bowl. There was none of that sticky goop I often find from aromatics. The room note was very pleasant, very similar to the smell of cranberry oatmeal cookies baking.

I like this blend. It has no bite for me, the simple burley/cavendish mixture it becomes part way through the bowl was satisfying on the nicotine delivery level, and the pomegranate was a pretty refreshing flavor on these hot and humid Kentucky evenings. I would recommend this blend to anyone who likes aromatics or the flavor of pomegranates or for someone who is looking for an aromatic that doesn't deliver a scalding bite. If you are in search of a good cherry aromatic, the flavor is close enough to a tart cherry to be a nice substitute, and the room note is top notch. I will definitely be buying more.