The Cary Grant blend is Kramer's English (medium strength) Blend + Irish Aromatic tobacco.

BrandKramer's Pipe and Tobacco Shop
Taste
WillBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillBrown (48)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Very Full Tolerable

Back in late February of 2014, I visited LA and Kramer's Pipe shop. The shop was interesting, full of memorabilia of the days of yore. The lady behind the counter was very friendly and allowed me to test drive as many blends as I wished before making up my mind on which blend to take home. I ended up buying all three of the one's I test drove, which were Father Dempsey, Danny Kaye's mix and the Cary Grant blend.

All three blends tasted similar to me, the only main difference between them all, in my view, were the strengths of the blends. The Cary Grant blend was the milder of the three, and, my favorite. It's an English blend with some mild aromatic qualities to it. Really, Kramer blends remind me of something you'd buy at a tobacco shop decades ago, they're really Old School type tobacco's rich and full, something you don't run into very often these days. I liked the taste and the richness, but I found all the blends really high in nicotine (Father Dempsey has a nic-kick that would satisfy just about any sea-dog out there).

So, if you're looking for Old School, like taste and fullness in a blend, these three from Kramer's are right up your alley. I'll give a solid three stars to all three of the blends, Father Dempsey, Danny Kaye mix, and, my favorite Cary Grant Blend.

Pipe Used: Several different types

Age When Smoked: ?

Purchased From: Kramer's

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Kramer’s in Beverly Hills sometimes names blends after Hollywood Stars or describes which stars smoked which blends. It’s a bit of a shame that there aren’t many pipe smokers among Hollywood celebs that there once were as the names are from a golden era gone by. After Fr. Dempsey, I think that Cary Grant blend is my second favorite offering from Kramer’s of Beverly Hills. I think it is a great and accurate observation by thedstnguishdgntlmn below that this rough cut tobacco looks very similar to some of the Peretti blends. CG blend is a light aromatic that could be enjoyed by both aromatic and non-aromatic smokers alike. It is lightly sweet, but leaves room for the tobacco flavor to come through. It some ways it reminds me of Steven Book’s light aromatics of old. The flavor and body move toward the medium side of the spectrum as each bowl progressed past the midway point. CG can burn hot if pushed, but I wouldn’t let that be a deterrent as long as it’s smoked slowly. My wife loves the room note of this blend. All in all, Cary Grant is not a bad smoke from a shop that has been in business for sixty five years.

Purchased From: Kramer's Pipe and Tobbaco Shop www.kramerstobaccoshop.com

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I loved Father Dempsey and Danny Kaye Blend. This is somewhat different.It is a light/medium English with some type of old fashioned non-aromatic AROMATIC! VERY PERETTI like in all its qualities. A little heavy on the Virginias and light on the Latkia for me. Room note is tolerable. A bit of a nicotine wallop too. Good for the Virginia crowd branching out into English mixtures. A Good smoke for when you need a little flavor and do not want to devote too much attention to your pipe.!