Kramer's created this medium-bodied mixture especially for one of their customers, the iconic actor Cary Grant. Using our English Blend as a base, they carefully layer in a small portion of Irish Aromatic for a little more sweetness.

Notes: From Kramer's website--I did not find this blend when I first looked through my parent's rolodex. But when a customer noticed Cary Grant's photo and asked what he smoked, I looked more carefully. Sure enough on the back of one of the cards, my mother had written Cary Grant - and what he smoked. My parents said he could not have been more delightful - but my mother did say that when he came in the shop, she had to almost trip my father to be sure she got to wait on him! (It kind of made up for Marlene Dietrich holding my father's hand when he repaired her lighters!)

BrandKramer's Pipe and Tobacco Shop
Strength
Taste
JimInks (2058)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The Virginias are the most obvious component and are grassy, citrus sweet with a touch of earth. The cavendish adds a little honey as a background player. The Cyprian latakia is smoky, woody sweet, playing a middling role in the smoke. The Oriental/Turkish adds a little spice and dryness in support. The Irish mist is very mild, and doesn’t compete that much with the tobaccos as it adds very complimentary flavor. The nic-hit is mild. Won't bite or get harsh. Burns slightly fast and fairly cool, with a consistent taste and leaves little dampness in the bowl. Requires few relights. Has a pleasant after taste. Can be an all day smoke.

WillBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillBrown (102)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Very Full Tolerable

Back in late February of 2014, I visited LA and Kramer's Pipe shop. The shop was interesting, full of memorabilia of the days of yore. The lady behind the counter was very friendly and allowed me to test drive as many blends as I wished before making up my mind on which blend to take home. I ended up buying all three of the one's I test drove, which were Father Dempsey, Danny Kaye's mix and the Cary Grant blend.

All three blends tasted similar to me, the only main difference between them all, in my view, were the strengths of the blends. The Cary Grant blend was the milder of the three, and, my favorite. It's an English blend with some mild aromatic qualities to it. Really, Kramer blends remind me of something you'd buy at a tobacco shop decades ago, they're really Old School type tobacco's rich and full, something you don't run into very often these days. I liked the taste and the richness, but I found all the blends really high in nicotine (Father Dempsey has a nic-kick that would satisfy just about any sea-dog out there).

So, if you're looking for Old School, like taste and fullness in a blend, these three from Kramer's are right up your alley. I'll give a solid three stars to all three of the blends, Father Dempsey, Danny Kaye mix, and, my favorite Cary Grant Blend.

Pipe Used: Several different types

Age When Smoked: ?

Purchased From: Kramer's

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Kramer’s in Beverly Hills sometimes names blends after Hollywood Stars or describes which stars smoked which blends. It’s a bit of a shame that there aren’t many pipe smokers among Hollywood celebs that there once were as the names are from a golden era gone by. After Fr. Dempsey, I think that Cary Grant blend is my second favorite offering from Kramer’s of Beverly Hills. I think it is a great and accurate observation by thedstnguishdgntlmn below that this rough cut tobacco looks very similar to some of the Peretti blends. CG blend is a light aromatic that could be enjoyed by both aromatic and non-aromatic smokers alike. It is lightly sweet, but leaves room for the tobacco flavor to come through. It some ways it reminds me of Steven Book’s light aromatics of old. The flavor and body move toward the medium side of the spectrum as each bowl progressed past the midway point. CG can burn hot if pushed, but I wouldn’t let that be a deterrent as long as it’s smoked slowly. My wife loves the room note of this blend. All in all, Cary Grant is not a bad smoke from a shop that has been in business for sixty five years.

Purchased From: Kramer's Pipe and Tobbaco Shop www.kramerstobaccoshop.com

ashanddottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ashanddottle (1)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I ordered a couple of tins of Kramer’s Blend for Cary Grant from Smokingpipes.com after they announced it. I’d never heard of Kramer’s, and was pleasantly surprised to find such an iconic business alive and well, in California of all places. Allen Kramer personally blended his tobaccos to suit his clients, including the aforementioned Blend for Cary Grant. This appealed to me because it was a blend created for Grant personally, and not a large tobacco company blend that had slapped his name on the label.

Kramer’s Blend for Cary Grant is a blend of black Cavendish, Latakia, Orientals, and Virginia with, as Kramer’s says, a bit of Irish aromatic layered in.

Upon open a fresh tin I immediately smell hints of both sweetness and Latakia, as well as the Orientals. The tobacco is ready to smoke right out of the tin and requires no further drying time. It’s neither too moist nor too dry and takes to the match easily.

I enjoy English and Latakia blends immensely, but the added touch of sweetness was something I found to be intriguing. This turns out to be a lighter English aromatic blend, but it’s nothing like the aromatics I’ve experienced. There’s no over-sweetness and the smoke is cool and dry on the palate. I found there to be no tongue bite and the tobacco did well at a fast pace as well as a slow puff. However, puffing slowly and coolly will bring out more of the flavors and nuances found in this blend.

I would say the blend is a bit more Oriental forward, but with a full roundness that is pleasing to my entire palate. The sweetness is there just on the tip of the tongue and the Latakia plays the bass note, creating a nice, round fullness to the blend. There is enjoyment in every puff, with different flavors popping up and surprising you here and there in a delightful way. As I smoked this fresh from the tin, some time may lead to flavors melding more together, although Kramer’s claims to use tobaccos that are already aged. It does, indeed, seem that some healthy aging has already taken place.

The tin note tended to be one that reminded me somewhat of C&D’s Golden Days of Yore, although the two taste nothing alike, and perhaps that of GL Pease Ashbury. The flavors tend to lean somewhat toward a tin of Ashbury that has been aged in a jar for a good six months or so, but with a roundness of a bit more Latakia and the sweeter notes added. As an English aromatic, this could be seen as a crossover blend much like Frog Morton Across the Pond. ATP was my first English blend and brings back a lot of fond memories for me. Kramer’s has Cyprian Latakia, however, whereas the Frog has Syrian, so there is a noticeable difference there.

I have read that the room note on this blend is quite appreciable, and found that to be true as I smoked my first bowl outside of the local music store in our downtown one evening. A patron exited the building stopping to say my pipe smelled great and reminded her of her late father. She thanked me for the memories.

As stated, I enjoy heavier Latakia blends immensely. I will be trying Kramer’s Father Dempsey when I can get my hands on some. I also enjoy VaPers to a great degree, especially nearer to springtime. But I find Kramer’s Blend for Cary Grant to be a lovely blend that I would like to keep in my permanent rotation. It’s great for anytime of the day, or as an all day smoke if one prefers. I especially see this as great blend to put in my cob and sip on as I go fishing this season.

Pipe Used: Peterson St Pat Day Pipe 2016, Bjarne Freehand

Similar Blends: GL Pease Ashbury and Frog Morton Across the Pond.

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Kramer's Pipe and Tobacco - Blend for Cary Grant.

My first one from Kramer's.

The blend is mostly a mid-sized ribbon, but there's a few twiggy bits that need discarding. The nose from the pouch is quite nice, it has a slightly stronger aromatic character than the smoke. I've had this pouch for a few weeks but when I had my first pipe last night the moisture was good.

On to the flavour: it's a smoke that's mostly composed of Lat', Oriental, and Virginia. The Cavendish sits more than a few rows back. The topping fluctuates: at first it seems almost chocolaty, but then develops an alcoholic sharpness. Cary Grant burns very well, but it can bite.

I find the nicotine medium, and the room-note pleasant.

I think Kramer's Cary Grant deserves three stars.

Recommended.

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: Few weeks

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I loved Father Dempsey and Danny Kaye Blend. This is somewhat different.It is a light/medium English with some type of old fashioned non-aromatic AROMATIC! VERY PERETTI like in all its qualities. A little heavy on the Virginias and light on the Latkia for me. Room note is tolerable. A bit of a nicotine wallop too. Good for the Virginia crowd branching out into English mixtures. A Good smoke for when you need a little flavor and do not want to devote too much attention to your pipe.!

dixcreek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dixcreek (99)

Smooth blend named for one smooth actor. Mostly Hay like citrus Virginia with some attributes of the Cavendish(semi-sweet), the Latakia is mild and a bit woody, the oriental/Turkish adds a wee bit of sour to round out the tobaccos. Says it has a light topping of Irish Mist, and it is light, most noticeable in the pouch nose and on the initial first third of the bowl. Well done indeed! I feel that this is what an aromatic should really be, not to overbearing, just a taste. A solid Americanized English that is suitable any time of the day.

Bowler Hat Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bowler Hat Piper (2)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I must admit, I was expecting more from this blend. From the start, I was surprised by the tin note. The Latakia was very faint and the predominant scent I got was a subtle chocolate and raisin. Smoking mechanics were great; perfect moisture, stayed lit easily and smoked down to a fine ash. However, I was disappointed overall. Having said that, I am a lover of Father Dempsey and GL Pease's Gaslight and Quiet Nights, so maybe I expected too much. However, in my opinion, if you want an interesting English/Aromatic, you'd be better off trying Frog Morton On The Town.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Mark Twain Cob

Age When Smoked: Fresh from tin

Light Virginia/Cavendish ,maple sweetness, no bitterness, no bite ,no complexity , burns slightly hot. Couldn't find the Latakia or Irish Mist topping ? 2 star, won't buy again

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: new Bulk

Similar Blends: American Drug store blends.

AnthonyRosenthal74 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AnthonyRosenthal74 (2)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I just finished my first bowl in a Savinelli 320. At first light, my first thought was quite simply..."Yum!" I was able to detect the smokiness of the latakia, right along with the sweetness of the virginias and the cavendish. Now, I'm saying I could detect the latakia, but it wasn't latakia heavy. I'm not sure if I could get a good handle on the orientals or not... perhaps adding a tangy spiciness... they did seem to play in the background a bit. The smoke off the bowl found it's way to my nose, adding to my enjoyment what seems to be quite a pleasing room note, adding to the sweetness I could detect on my tongue. I believe the Irish aromatic added to the blend does more for the room note than taste. It did get a bit bitey for me, but not terribly so. I had been drinking some juice with pineapple in it, which may have contributed to that. I didn't detect much of a nicotine presence. If anything, there was enough there to help me feel relaxed. Which is fine. Sometimes I want a greater nicotine hit, sometimes I don't.

All in all, it was an enjoyable smoke, with enough going on between the separate components to keep it interesting with flavor I could detect from each (I will try to get a better handle on the orientals next smoke). The room note seemed pleasant... to me anyway. I would easily consider this an all day blend, and I'd recommend it to anyone wanting to take their first steps into blends containing latakia, as the latakia wasn't overwhelming the other components. It's a great blend, and I'm looking forward to my next bowl.

Edit: After smoking through this tin exclusively in the Sav 320, I tried it in a William Anderson pipe that I had commissioned some time ago. A blend like this, I would normally think would be best in the 320 with its wide chamber. The William Anderson has a smaller chamber at about 2 centimeters wide. The blend actually seems to deliver more flavor in the narrower chamber, especially the sweetness of it. While the other flavors continued to sing, the sweetness really came alive, more pronounced. I did have to relight a couple more times, but that's not a problem. A wonderful smoke!

Pipe Used: Savinelli 320 Marte, William Anderson

buroak Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
buroak (16)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

If you are put off trying this blend by the presence of an Irish Aromatic, don't be. The Irish Aromatic component nearly kept me from trying this tobacco, but I had to know what Cary Grant smoked. I am glad curiosity got the better of me.

This is a light English in which the grassy Virginia plays nicely with the fresh, spicy, and mildly tart Orientals. The Latakia lends its expected smokiness. The Cavendish adds some body and smoothness to the smoke. The Irish Aromatic is always noticeable, but its flavor rides alongside the flavors of the tobaccos rather than running roughshod over them.

The strength of the blend in terms of taste is mild to medium. The nicotine level is just barely above mild. This leaf nipped at my tongue when I sipped too quickly, so a slow cadence is recommended. A slow cadence is facilitated by the easy-burning nature of the tobacco.

All in all I would say Mr. Grant had good taste. This will not be a regular smoke for me, but I intend to buy some in bulk to keep around for the occasional change of pace. Blend for Cary Grant is a solidly three-star smoke.