For those pipe smokers who like Burley, here is a great blend. It’s a copy of the long lost L.L. Bean “Special Blend”, a slow burning, slightly sweet, mellow smoke with a pleasant aroma and taste. It’s a great mixture to have with the first cup of coffee in the morning.

This blend has a complete lack of tongue bite...all the way to the bottom of the bowl. It packs easily, lights readily and simply refuses to go out. It burns completely to a fine, white ash, leaving minimal dottle in the bottom of the bowl.

Notes: “This Burley blend is perfect! It's a perfect first smoke of the day. My pipe hasn't gone cold yet today! Enjoying it so much!”...”It's a lovely smoke! I'm going to have another bowl”.

By Duncan Rothery, Cumbria, UK

Taste

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (161)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Although few, the glowing reviews led me to purchase this blend. The Park Lane description is right on: mild, mellow, smooth, slightly sweet, slightly nutty and excellent burning qualities. And it burned to a fine ash with nary a hint of any bite. I detected a very light and mild topping that I could not identify. If there was one blend I would recommend to a newbie, it would be this!

However, my palate demands a burley with more strength. As such, I plan to experiment and bolster and ramp up this blend with either some Five Brothers, C&D Big ‘n Burley, P&C dark burley or their Maduro leaf. But I can’t fault it for what it is supposed to be per the header description. If you like burleys you won’t be disappointed. If you don’t like burleys try it anyway.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this blend 9.9 out of 10

Pipe Used: briars

Age When Smoked: smoked upon delivery

While on a visit to upstate New York, I was given a generous size sample of Fireside at Park Lane's retail store. The pouch scent is slightly sweet. Fireside is a little bit moist and in need of a small amount of dry time. I have never tried LL Bean's Special Blend so I have no basis for comparison. There is a bit of “nuttiness “as you may expect with a good burley, but not quite as nutty as others that I have smoked. The flavor is very smooth and one would really have to try hard to get this one to bite. There is some extremely mild added sweetness to the blend. It's not a flavoring and may simply be the treatment that many burleys undergo to remove harshness, but I am fairly certain it isn't a sweetness that occurs naturally. The bottom line is that it tastes great! I think this well done burley from Park Lane deserves to be included along with some of the great bulk burleys out there like Uhle's and Peretti's. Highly Recommended!

babysinister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
babysinister (46)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

The archetypal all-day burley, this one. A richly flavored, nutty-sweet burley with none of the bitter undertaste that characterizes some other blends with a similar component. Extremely well-balanced and good quality tobacco expertly blended. I never tried the L.L. Bean original, but this one reminds me a bit of the now defunct Edgeworth Sliced, but not as strong in the nic department (few tobaccos are!). Almost gets into the bowl by itself it's so easy to fill. Others have noted that it requires few or no relights and that it burns easily to the bottom. Its all true! A one-word description would be "tasty." Reminds me of what burleys were supposed to be years ago. An extremely relaxing and flavorful smoke for anytime, but particularly on Sunday morning after breakfast, for example. Ah, yes...

Dunc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dunc (9)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

From the description on this blend I knew I was going to like it. Nothing could have prepared me for the hours of peacefull contemplation I have found in this blend. Its a wonderfull smoke. The Burleys taste nutty as you would expect, the room note is of a lovely vanilla. There are no toppings or false flavourings, just pure,down-to-earth, honest tobacco. I find it a great alternative to my usual Balkan & Latakia blends, a lovely change of pace. I firmly recommend it!!