PipesAndCigars

The Latin term Magnum Opus loosely translates to “masterpiece”, and this is how we, and our early testers think of this new release. Magnum O! is a blend of Cyprian Latakia, excellent yellow Virginias from the U.S. and Bulgaria, Izmir, Basma and the “Queen of Tobaccos”, Yenidje. Then we add some Perique to give it more depth and smoothness. Here’s a quote from well-known pipe and tobacco collector Fred Goldring, who tested Magnum O! during development: ”I immediately searched my mind to recall what vintage tobacco this sample best represented. Every time I put a name to it the blend again changed and the taste shifted to another and yet another blend from the past, all of which I stock in my cellar and all of which I enjoy very much. I decided to smoke the last half of the bowl that I started the evening before. Believe it or not the second half was more magical than the first. I walked in and out of my smoking room a number of times this evening and each time the exquisite aroma of this blend became more apparent. If you make a ton I will purchase half. This, my friend is a world class tobacco born out of the magic of Russ O”. We sampled this blend to a number of people at the CORPS, West Coast and New York pipe shows, and the feedback was overwhelmingly enthusiastic. The flavor, aroma and burning characteristics have been almost universally praised. Give Magnum O! a try and we feel confident that you’ll be back for more.

BrandHearth & Home

3.8
King Weed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King Weed (40)
Strong Mild Full Very Pleasant

This is another of the modern english blends that I had not gotten around to smoking until recently. I obtained a good sample from Russ Oulette at the 2013 NASPC show and, for no particular reason, had saved it for last. Wow! When I lit my first bowl of this magnificent blend I exclaimed out loud - "Now, that's what I'm talkin' about!" - even though there was no one present to here me. Magnum Opus is the finest and the highest type of english blend made for the english pipe smoker. It is on a plane with the best english blends from the past, as well as from the present.

When you light this tobacco, you dwell in the land of: old original Balkan Sobranie 759, old original Balkan Sobranie Mixture, Dunhill Standard Mixture Full, John Cotton 1&2, John Cotton 2, the oldest and most original Dunhill 965, the oldest and most original Dunhill Durbar, the oldest Bengal Slices (the one with the wax-paper inner wrapper and not the gold foil wrapper), old Smokers Haven 20th Anniversary Mixture, John Sinclair Rubicon and Constantinople (even though I can't remember who made it). There is only one modern english blend that even comes close to Magnum Opus - Fred Hanna's Wilderness. Get the picture?

All positive qualities and no negatives - it is a shame that I can only give this mixture four stars. I highly recommend this blend to english smokers and invite all pipe smokers to at least sample this mixture to gain a modicum of understanding as to what life used to be like in the twentieth century english pipe smoking world - and what we have lost.

Thanks Russ for the trip down memory lane.

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I recommend a large round bowl or billiard for this blend. It's very good in a meer, too. I suggest a large bowl because Magnum Opus has a fair amount of Latakia and with more room, you have a greater opportunity to taste the other components. It's fairly complex, but in a subtle way. I had to moisten the tobacco when received - which I recommend - and once done, I notice a slight soda-like taste I didn't quite get when I tried smoking it dry. There's not much sweetness in it, but it has a dry and smokey quality that I like quite a bit. I would not use it to break in a pipe, but would ream the cake well on a broken in one and after a couple of bowls, you'll start noticing the various flavors better. I dedicated a pipe to it and am sure that makes a difference. The flavor does change as you smoke down to the bottom. I also recommend you smoke it slowly. I find that really makes a difference in this particular blend.

haredawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
haredawg (46)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This one I picked up to fill out an order from the store. I happened to order during the very week they were moving to Pennsylvania, so through a series of understandable mishaps and the confusion of moving it took me a couple of weeks to get this. I just mean there was anticipation and anxiety built up. Oddly enough I didn't read any of these reviews, just the description on the site and the one or two reviews on the site (ever notice those tend to be a bit biased?) I didn't read the conflicting reviews below about the best pipe to use; I didn't read the ones calling it complex or the ones calling it boring. I would have been a bit shocked at the one suggesting moistening it. The tobacco does come dry, I think maybe if I cellar some I might throw a little humi-pillow in the jar, but it comes at the perfect dryness to my tastes for an English blend. I could go through all the smoky leathery latakia, and light strips of different Orientals, the charring, the blossoming of flavors, slow reflective sipping, or how very difficult it is to get to burn hot. The deeper I would go into any of that the more classical and traditional an English blend this is. I won't name drop about all the older blends this tastes like, but tastes just like them. When I think of an English blend this is the presentation, the flavor, the pouch scents and burn I think of. Ok, a zip lock baggy may not be how I think of an English presentation, but you know what I mean, the look and scent. I can't really imagine why this wouldn't get four stars and any other English would. Someone compared it to artisan's blend, a blend I've been smoking fairly regularly. Psychologically I think of Artisans blend as a bit more elegant and refined, but honestly I think it's the tin and the name. I suppose I have the same block with other similar blends, Solani and Dunhill flakes so neat in the tin and the white wrapper with gold crest makes the va/per or just VA flakes seem so elegant. I don't know. Whether I ever get more of this or not (and I don't see any reason not to) this is what an English blend is, the quintessence of an English blend, even down to the moisture level.

Theodore Moore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Theodore Moore (10)

Magnum Opus is Russ O's second best blend. It may have been his "Magnum Opus" at the time of this creation, but that was before he won the Sabronie throw-down later with Black House. Even "early Russ" must come in second to "vintage Russ!" When Magnum Opus hit the circuit most of the solid reviewers where wowed, and rightly so. It seems that Russ Ouellette is leading the charge in recognizing that "Balkans" are not just a synonymous misnomer of nomenclature for "English." Balkans should differ from standard English blends in that they are to be defined by their Oriental and Turkish base. In M.O. Russ raised the bar and re-established this differentiation. Still, Black House doesn't go so far as to border on the extreme as Russ does here in Magnum Opus. (Maybe its the Perique, which adds that "edge.") The only down side to M.O. is that it drys the mouth out for a whole day, unlike anything else I've smoked. Just the same, M.O. is in a class by itself, and hence, 3.5 to 4 stars. If you like exotic Turkish/Orientals to be in the lead, you will praise M.O. If you like a more balanced, smoother, "tweaked Balkan," with richer room note, go with Black House. (See my review on Black House.)

Uban Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uban (34)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

Just cracked a tin about 1 yr old. All I can say so far is that this is magnificent. I do not find it one-dimensional, as the orientals keep poking around the latakia with an almost impish hinting at sweetness followed by pleasant sourness. Smoke volume is full & rich, moisture perfect. Cut is lovely. The aroma surely reminds me of the great blends of old, but, as another reviewer noted, my memories of BS & 759, Durbar & Standard Full, Cotton's, State Express, etc are quite foggy by now. This is their equal in modern guise. The Golden Age is NOW.

Pipe Used: Dunny Gp 5, big meer

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Purchased From: P & C

Similar Blends: Old Good Stuff.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

There has been a push recently, led by Greg Pease and a few others to drop the "English" and "Balkan" designations in favor of the general term "Latakia Mixture". I find this a sane alternative to the former, which has led to innumerable acrimonious threads debating the merits of each term. That said, if this is the direction that future Latakia Mixtures are moving, then we are very lucky, for there is so little of this that falls into traditional categories.

First, it's almost a full circle, here. To have old time, and now defunct, favorites like Balkan Sobranie embrace a leaf like Yenidje, to see it fall away as a component, and now find its way back into blends like Magnum Opus--we are a fortunate bunch. It is spicy! I mean, my God, if you are unlucky enough to miss the boat on this one and want to mimic a similar experience, pinch several nose hairs and pull, all at once. As you await an imminent convulsion, take that deep breath before the purge and then congratulate yourself. That is the onslaught to the senses you can expect from the Orientals in Magnum Opus.

Now, aside from this strange sensation, Magnum Opus is similar to Westminster, in strength and body, but is really something of a brash cousin. The flavors, so unfamiliar, will tease one endlessly, and I have found myself smoking bowl after bowl attempting to nail down the essence of this unfamiliar leaf. Upon first light the smoke initially remains fairly consistent, doesn't seem to change or build much in the bowl. The Latakia will assert itself early on, and then quickly move to the background as something amazing happens.

The Orientals, a slight spicy note which begins to fight with the smokiness for dominance more than halfway through, will build and build, and it never relents. Your nasal passage will tickle up, similar to eating a mildly hot dish, yet the strength remains subdued. That spiciness will grow increasingly pungent two thirds of the way in and really seems to put everything else at a distance, to the extent that other components wash away into the background, so much that I ultimately begin to ignore the Latakia.

Magnum Opus is dry, in the sense that I don't taste much sugar--the Virginias are muted in favor of the Orientals and Latakia, and you have all high notes here, there is never a deep caramelization that develops as a product of a high Red Virginia count. To me, a blend like Odyssey presents a sweeter smoke with heavier Latakia flavor, yet this is very different, unique, and as a consequence more interesting.

There is a fragrant element to the smoke that almost drives me to inhale the contents through the nose, further enveloping the senses. What is truly remarkable is the effect this has had on my smoking habits. I no longer seem to crave nicotine, instead preferring the rush of novel sensations that Opus delivers.

Ultimately, Magnum Opus successfully bridges together the more recent traditions in micro blending with the nostalgia of favored old time blends-- it's a curious beast. So I have to ask, where the hell is Russ finding this leaf, and how will other blenders respond?

CFAF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CFAF (4)

This tobacco has grown on me. Good, but note overwhelming presence of latakia, and the orientals add some nice spice. Much more comfortable with this Russ blend than Black House. (I've been on a bit of a jag trying his blends.) I ordered two tins of this as I do when trying blends. I've gotten through the first, will look forward to smoking the second, and likely order several in the future for storage.

Pipe Used: Various pipes

Age When Smoked: About four months old

Not your typical English and that's a good thing. Otherwise it wouldn't stand out in that crowded field as well as it does. My taste buds inform me that there are two main things going on here. First, there is a base created by the melding of the Virginias and Perique that has a wonderful sweet spiciness to it. This is not a weak base, but a very solid one. Second, the Latakia and the very fine Orientals are nicely balanced and meld together to provide the most dominant flavor. It's kind of like a smoky cheese. Put them both together and you get one helluva great English. Just a wonderful smoke. Medium in body. Medium to full in flavor. Tasty, tasty blend.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman, MM Freehand

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

M42 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
M42 (11)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Excellent. From the wonderful tin aroma to the fantastic room aroma this blend leaves this is another superb creation by Hearth and Home of Pipes and Cigars dot com. Most oriental/latakia tobaccos seem to me to be very one dimensional varying only by the strength of the latakia applied. But Magnus Opus is a complex blend with a variety of oriental leaf that offers a complexity of flavors that change as you smoke the bowl down.

I generally tire of these types of tobaccos and switch blends often, but this one will stay in my rotation and be smoked on a regular basis.

WellingtonIdolizer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WellingtonIdolizer (3)

I smoke this almost every Sunday. I put room note as pleasant to tolerable, because, for an English tobacco it smells nice even to a non smoker.

One of the many things I like about this tobacco is when smoked through a well pipe (all I smoke), after a full 45 minute smoke there is 0 moisture in the bowl. It smokes very dry, thus creating a non-burned mouth.

There is a perfect balance of latikiah and Virginia. What can I say, just smoke it and give it the 4 stars it deserves.

I typically don't require two tins in order to have some thoughts about a blend, but this one was an exception. I'm not sure I'm very close to figuring it out even now. This seems to be about 60/40 of light tobaccos vs dark and the tin aroma is extremely intoxicating. Very oriental forward with the latakia riding shotgun. The blend came dry and the ribbon cut makes for easy loading.

This blend was seriously complex but wasn't brazen about it. The flavor was smoky and dry as opposed to sweet. I can't say I tasted the perique but I'm betting it's a big part of the overall profile. It definitely reminded me of blends from yesteryear but I couldn't determine which ones - John Cotton's #1 and 2, perhaps? But it's been too long since I smoked that one. At any rate, this was a very good blend but I'm not as taken with it as the other reviewers. There was a strong hint of bitterness underneath this offering, and I couldn't get that to go away. I'm also suspicious of blends that work only in briar pipes, and this bitterness was more apparent when smoked in my preferred meerschaum pipes. Briars tended to mute this effect somewhat. While this won't unseat blends in my rotation such as Charing Cross, Exotique or Bishop's Move, this is one I'm going to buy more of to experiment. There were several instances of my wishing there were more latakia, which is something I don't often do. I may try adding some myself.

All this said, there is something about this blend that smacks of blending genius. Like GLP's Abingdon, I may not smoke a lot of it down the road, but do add a 4th star if you're one who loves complexity and true art in tobacco blending.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)

I've been smoking a pipe since 1990, and I was fortunate enough to discover latakia almost immediately. I've seen a lot English/Balkan mixtures come and go, but I have never seen such a profusion of top quality blends as have appeared on the market in the past few years: McClellands Wilderness, Legends and Three Oaks Syrian; GL Pease Maltese Falcon, Chelsea Morning, and Quiet Nights; Hearth and Home's Larry Blend, and Boswell's Northwoods, to name just a few ....

And now there's Magnum Opus. If ever a blend deserves its name, this is it.

This stuff leaves the rest of Russ Oulette's offerings in the dust, IMO, and stands shoulder-to-shoulder with the absolute best that Pease has produced. The virginia base is sweet and flavorful, the latakia is in just the right proportion, and the orientals .... well, let's just say that the orientals don't so much "sing" as put on a full-scale Broadway production. This stuff is as complex as Wilderness, but with more high notes that give it a livelier character. The perique adds just a hint of stewed fruit but primarily serves to enhance the body and strength. This has far more body than any of McClelland's mixtures, and is a little less full than GLP's Odyssey or Westminster. The nicotine level seems to be a solid medium.

There is a wonderful synergy here that I rarely encounter. To top it all off, the burning characteristics are literally flawless. This burns with almost the same ease of a drugstore burley and doesn't have a bite in it, even when smoked hot or in back-to-back sessions. This is a meditative smoke ... I think you could smoke it all day, but I prefer to save it for the evening when I can concentrate on it.

Overall impression? I love latakia mixtures, especially the more complex ones that tend to be labeled "Balkans" (although that term seems to be going out of vogue). I have smoked a LOT of them, and I can say without reservation that I would put this in the top 5 mixtures of its type that I've ever had the pleasure to smoke. I plan on cellaring as much of this as I can afford, and hope that someday it's available in larger tins.

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)

This stuff is fantastic! It's aptly named as I don't see how Russ could possibly do any better. It's complex, but not in the way I normally use that word. At any given time I only experience a couple different flavors and can pick out the various types of leaf, but the complexity comes in the changling character of this awesome blend.

Although some Virginia sweetness comes through at times, it's not a particularly sweet blend. In wine terms it's more dry, but absolutely overflowing with flavor. As the bowl progresses, it just gets better, richer, more complex, and more enjoyable as it wanders from Virginia to Latakia to Orientals and back again. It works in every pipe I've tried to far, but I love it in my big Laird with a two inch deep bowl, just because it stretches out the experience as long as possible.

My first encounter with Magnum Opus, part of the new tinned Marquee Series was at the 2010 West Coast Pipe Show. Just based on a couple of bowls I knew Russ had another winner. Now, after a couple of tins more, I can't speak highly enough of this blend. There is a lot of different tobacco's in MO so it's no surprise that this is a complex, smokey English blend with a nice underlying sweetness. The tin arrives at the perfect moisture level and packs easily. The wide range of flavors play off nicely with each other, but the Basma is what makes it for me. Flavors build somewhat as the bowl progesses but for me it never reaches beyond medium strength. I think that those that enjoy Fred Hanna's new blends from McClelland, will find a lot of enjoyment in this as well. Highly Recommended!

Geronimo Von Klaus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Geronimo Von Klaus (57)

What can you say that has not already been said? I just hope they never change the formula and that all of the components continue to be available.

Its very oriental forward, but where Black House shouts, this plays a violin in exquisite fashion.

Highly refined, subtle, with enough bang to make you notice, but so much class that you appreciate it throughout.

Big opening, Latakia of epic quality springs out, then the orientals start to warm up and mingle with the Lat in very nice ways to form an initial bond. That keeps going and you think this is a nice Lat/Oriental like Yenijde Highlander and are ok with that. The show isn't over though, those continue to warm and play, and then out from the back comes the VA which has been growing in the furnace, and is sneaks out near the middle of the bowl and the sugary sweetness brings this into the stratosphere.

It goes on and on until right near the end its just everything in full force, like the end of the Ode To Joy. A finale that you just think is smoking heaven.

Its classier and more refined than Black House. Doesn't get dirty or bitter near the end, no residue in the stem, at the end you are satisfied with a pipe you barely need to clean........and memories to savor!!

Wonderful.

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (59)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is an absolutely beautiful smoke! Lat. is there but not overwhelming everything else. Perique adds spice, the Turkish brings that characteristic herbal sourness but in a good way that is more in the background then anything. The VA's are present but I have to say that they are not quite as sweet as I would like. This however, is the only small negative. I think this will be an outstanding blend to age. The VA's will get sweeter and they blend is already very balanced. No tongue bite at all, even when pushed. I will not wait to see how it ages it is very good now, hopefully blow your mind great in 5 years. I will be cellaring several pounds of this.

Age When Smoked: 2.5 months

cobacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cobacco (48)

I think if there was ever a perfect blend to make a tobacco potpourri this would be it. Pour some in a bowl, put some inside your pillow case, maybe sprinkle a little on the dog and you're in tobacco heaven. I smoked some in my natural Missouri Meerchaum Freehand and I think it may have my best experience to date. Perhaps Ill try it again to see if it can be duplicated. I plan to stock Magnum O and BlackHouse regularly.

Pipe Used: cob

Purchased From: pipes and cigars

smoke'a'bowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoke'a'bowl (3)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm relatively new to pipe smoking, so much of the complexity of this blend is lost on me. But I really enjoy it. The spiciness and richness is just really nice. I like to enjoy this on my patio after a long day at work. It's just very relaxing and pleasant.

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (73)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

Enough has been said - I feel this tobacco is very, very close in taste to Balkan Sobranie white except for the perique.

Wonderful, wonderful tobacco. I always get a compliment from a fellow pipe smoker when I light this up. Masterful blend.

I also like to blend this with Rattray's 7 Reserve. The 7 Reserve takes out some of the perique and adds orientals. Me Gusta!

puro66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puro66 (73)

I have been remiss at posting reviews for quite awhile so it's time to catch up.

Magnum Opus is certainly a bold (and dangerous) name but Russ has the skill to back up the marketing.

The tin aroma has a fresh, almost floral (good floral) bouquet begging you to jump in. I find this to be very well balanced with no single tobacco being a brute toward its fellow components. I will say that the perique is to me almost non-existent, but that may be because I also smoke alot of VaPers and therefore am accustomed to it.

There is no nic hit of consequence which pleases me greatly and burns cleanly to the bottom of the bowl with no fuss.

A very enjoyable smoke and worth exploration and keeping some on hand.

brogreggblues Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brogreggblues (45)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

After almost finishing a tin of Magnum Opus, here are my thoughts; This blend is very, very good, but...to me there's nothing special about it. Very well blended, no one component dominates. Nothing really stands out, just a nice, mellow, rich English blend with no bite. Recommended, but I won't buy it again, simply because it doesn't "grab" me. I'd rather smoke Artisan's Blend. Three stars.

=UPDATE 11/17/2012 I think I finally figured this blend out. It took patience, slow smoking (I tend to hurry), and the right pipe. None of my briars really brought out the fine points of this blend, but once I loaded Magnum Opus into my well-aged Meer, all was well. I finished half a tin in a couple days. Not enough improvement to warrant a fourth star, but it's knocking at the door.

Renfield Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Renfield (1)

I have to admit that the initial several bowls of this didn't blow me away. It was very good but not great. Then I found the right pipe for this blend and suddenly all was revealed. In my Peterson Bulldog Magnum Opus came alive.

As others have noted the flavors morph continuously through the bowl in a truely pleasureable way. At different times the various tobaccos come to the forefront but always in perfect harmony with the rest of the flavors. Smoke gently and Magnum Opus sings in subtleties, more aggressively and it plays along with a sturdier presentation and no tendency to bite. A masterfully created blend. I can easily see this becoming a classic.

bteddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bteddy (20)

Just received my tin and after two bowls I'm not sure if I can put a finger on the most outstanding ingredient in this blend. Emphasis seems to change with every draw. At first light, Latakia jumps up and gets those taste buds moving, then magically it fades to something else, you can still taste the strength, but it is now rounder? Simply fantastic! Not sure if I taste an easy going English, or a tasty Balkan, or a spicy Virginia playing in the background. Just when you think it reminds you of some past favorite, it lulls you into another area. Face it, It just works. This is my second tobacco from Russ O. and I couldn't be more impressed. A definite master at his craft. G.L.Pease was my benchmark for these types of tobaccos of late, but no longer. A solid winner.

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (49)

This is my first time trying a blend by H&H (Russ O.). I have to say that I am definitely impressed. The smell from the tin is quite interesting...smokey, with a wood/earth aroma I haven't experienced in any other blend. Each time I have smoked it, as another reviewer has more eloquently stated, the flavor seems to shift. It definitely has Latakia in it, but the orientals are very much playing a large role. There is almost a floral hint to this blend, not like the 'lakeland' blends, but more of a subtle effect...I think from the Basma and Izmir?? Has a little sweetness and burns excellent from start to finish...no relights needed and no tongue bite.

I feel perplexed by this blend...I can't put my finger on it. But it's definitely one that I have thoroughly enjoy. Definitely plan to have a few tins available.

Brekken Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brekken (11)

Firstly i want to rush the fact that i am a new pipe smoker.

The first time i tried this blend i liked it, but it was nothing out of the ordinary. Put the tin away for a month and tried a couple more bowls and i was hooked! Smokes great in any pipe. Fantastic all day smoke.

If you have not tried it, do not hesitate to do so!

Budman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Budman (24)

We are truly blessed to have so many good blenders out there, and Russ is one of them!

I have smoked many blends offered by Russ and have been very pleased by many of his offerings.

If you want to dive into the world of English Blends this would be the deep end of the pool. No overload on any one ingredient, no bitterness and a cool clean smoke. The ribbon cut comes fairly dry and packs and lights well. The leaf is top quality and the blend is consistent.

Magnum Opus has surpassed my expectations and is truly in a class by it self! Bravo!

zwolanek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zwolanek (18)

On your feet and hats off, gentlemen.

Russ Ouellette will be either sainted or arrested for this one.

Incomperable.

The reviews which note that it is a complex, constantly-shifting, delightful blend which defies simple description are spot on.

When put in a great pipe, this blend cannot be exceeded and will offer an aesthetic experience impossible to describe with words.

Category: Masterpiece

Mild None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

I'm halfway into my first tin and Wow, great stuff. The taste just jumps from one tobacco ingredient to the next. First a little LataKia, then the Orientals, like maybe Dunhills EMP, no like Margate, no wait it's back to Latakia, maybe Midnight Ride ,no here comes some sweetness from the Virginias, I'm so confused, delightful . Burns very slow, without a lot of smoke. I keep thinking it's going out but now I realize that's the slow burn , no heat ,no bite, maybe a very little spice from the Perique. I've reached for this as a first pipe and a last pipe of the day any, it all worked. I will buy more, hope it will come in bulk as it's a little pricey for H&H, but you don't pay for water weight .

Updated 2/28/12- Into my 4th tin and I just wanted to add that this is still a 4 star blend. I find it has a similarity to some of G.L. Pease's blending techniques (Odyssey, Blackpoint, Lagonda, it's more airy than greasy like Penzanze is),but I think this is smoother. Good job Russ

cranziron Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cranziron (9)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

If you like latakia blends you must try this tobacco! There's some rich, rich flavor here. The tin aroma initially had me skeptical because, compared with my favorite, Samovar, (till I tried Magnum Opus) it didn't smell as smoky or rich. But, to the contrary, this is a wonderfully deep and rich smoke. I can't add anything that hasn't been so eloquently stated before, except-- Russ, you're the man!! This is indeed a masterpiece.