Over the past decade, the popularity of the Lakeland tobaccos, with their stout body and unusual flavors, has exploded. In fact, they’ve grown to such a point that availability is now a big issue. What differentiates these blends from everything else are their strength and the old-fashioned “scents” they use. They also make quite a few of their tobaccos in the form of flakes, cakes and ropes. Due to numerous requests, we have developed a new tobacco called Lakeland Brickle. We start with a combination of Virginias (mostly red), along with dark, tangy Burleys (which add depth, spice and strength) and infuse them with traditional Lakeland-style flavors such as Rose and Tonquin Beans (among others), but with a light hand to avoid the “soapiness” that some people dislike. We then heat-treat it and put it under pressure to further develop the flavor and body, and finish by vacuum-sealing it in 8 oz. bags. Since we don’t use humectants in the making of the blend, the tobacco should be transferred to an airtight resealable container upon opening the vacuum bag. When you remove it from the bag, it will be in the form of a thin, squarish crumble cake which can easily be cut into strips or cubes for easy packing. The mildly sweet but robust flavor is intriguing, and seems to get better with each successive bowl.

BrandHearth & Home
3.1
DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Mild Strong Medium Tolerable

I love G&H's "Lakeland" blends. I could smoke Ennerdale and Kendal flakes all day long. I love the flavors, love the aromas, and love the "mouthfeel" that is the polar opposite of tongue bite. Call me a freak if you want to -- this style has caused me to completely re-evaluate how I look at virginias and aromatics.

That being said ... this stuff really turned me off. The texture is off-putting (particle board, anyone?), the smell is cloying and the flavor is, well, disgusting. I don't know what the floral additives are here, but they don't smell or taste like any Lakeland I've ever tried. Worse, they don't seem to go well with the tobacco itself -- the components don't "synch" with one another. I had hoped for a burley-based version of, say, Kendal Flake, but this is a far cry from that! The fact that I had to buy a half-pound just to sample it hasn't exactly endeared me to this stuff, either....

I respect Russ Outlette as a blender, and I really appreciate what he was trying to do here. The concept is good, and I hope he continues to experiment with different base tobaccos, processing methods and flavoring agents. I would love to have anAmericanized version of the Lakeland style that was cheaper and more available than those produced across the pond ... but this isn't it. I don't think that I've ever given one of Oulette's blends a "one star" rating before, but I feel that's all this one deserves.

MDP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MDP (37)

I received an 8 oz. bag from the first batch of Lakeland Brickle pipesandcigars put up for sale in early 2011. The presentation and cut are exactly as described by the manufacturer. It is rather easy to prepare to one's desired state.

I smoked two ounces initially and aged the rest in a sealed jar until this past weekend. After two bowls of three years-aged LB, my initial opinion remains consistent. This is a grand, heady tobacco.

There is subtle sweetness from the Virginia leaf and creaminess with toasted spices from the burley. It has a medium punch from the nicotine and is at the same time smooth. The botanicals are noticeable and not overwhelming, providing interest to the palate and pleasantness to the room note. This could very easily satisfy even if the only tobacco in one's desert island survival kit.

Elwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elwin (10)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

In my review of LB Fortissimo, my one complaint was that while it was a fine tobacco, I thought that the Lakeland flavor and aroma was lacking. When I received a sample of this, I was afraid that it also was too weak in essence for my tastes. I was wrong. While the scent was all but unnoticeable, the flavor is definitely in full force. The rose, tonquin, and gardenia make themselves known from first light. And while the Virginia's could use some aging, this is a worthy Lakeland blend, albeit American in origin.

LV9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LV9 (59)
Mild Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A good introduction to Lakeland blends, the sample that I got was dry which is pretty good in my opinion for this blend; easy to light, I mostly get burley, vanilla and something floral, my wife says the room note is interesting and does not bother her at all, it leaves a funny taste on my mouth and a little bit of dottle in the bottom of the pipe. The longer you smoked it the more pronounce the rose essence comes to the front. I read there is a perique version of this but I don't think I'm interested in trying it.

Would I buy this again? maybe... I really wish the nicotine was higher on this one.

WmZiggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WmZiggy (66)
Mild to Medium Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

I followed the suggestion on the “tin” description (this comes vacuum packed in plastic) and cut the cake on a paper cutter into 2 inch strips, which I placed in a quart mason jar. A wide mouth jar makes it easier to pinch off tobacco and rub it out prior to loading the pipe. On opening the bag/jar one is hit with a strong aroma of Tonquin Bean and floral notes, perhaps Rose. It is unusual, not an aroma I would seek out. However, it works when smoked, at least for me. I would not label this crumble cake as sticky to the touch, but it has an unusual feel. A little moist – yes, but this works too. On lighting the taste of Tonquin and Rose is strong, but as the smoke settles in this lightens to a background note while the sweetness/spice of the VA/Burley blend carries the day. It has a complexity I liked. The blend burns cleanly and cool to a grey/white ash, and does not grow bitter in the bottom of the bowl. Nor did it bite me in spite of some hard puffing. I'm a lover of flakes and crumble cakes.

I like VA/Per and Burley blends, but I'm not a big fan of aromatics, especially tobacco flavored with Tonquin Bean and other floral notes. If I hadn't tried Lakeland flakes and Russ Ouellette's other crumble cakes, I would have never tried this tobac. But it works, at least for me. This was a good, cool, and enjoyable smoke and I give it 4 stars.

I got this as a sample from a pipesmoking buddy. It came still packed in its cake form and was easily broken off and rubbed out for the pipe. Light in color, this loaded and packed well, and burned perfectly.

The flavoring was very close to my experience with lakeland blends. The flavor/scent was perfumy and flowery but not soapy... fairly heavy but not overpowering. It acted like a velvety smooth layering of flavor that softened as the bowl progressed. It never dissipated; it just sort of "melted". That's the best way I can describe it. It was sort of ice cream-like in that sense, with a flavor burst at the onset and a slow lingering finish. My taste buds were bathed in the flavoring, and it was quite a uniqe experience. Towards the bottom of the bowl, the flavoring had melted away and the natural sweetness and robustness of the VA and burley took over. And not a moment too soon! As the flavoring took over center stage in my brain and just before it wore me out, it ended and I found myself with a natural smoke. Nice! And it refused to bite or become bitter, no matter how much I purposefully provoked it on a couple of occasions.

If you enjoy Lakeland flavorings, you MUST try this! It's ridiculously cheap (for now!) and it has the essence of the Lake District offerings, although it isn't the same. I view it as an American's take on the venerable Brit recipe. And I find it to be very well done indeed! I can't smoke this all day, just as I can't spend all day with any type of flavoring - sometimes "au natural" must take over. But this is something I don't intend to have very far from my tobacco jars.

1-22-12 Edit: I think I finally figured out why Lakeland Brickle is an inspired, yet ultimately failed experiment in creating an American Lakeland. Tonight, I smoked some in an old estate Yello Bole I recently spent a lot of elbow grease making smokeable again, and a couple hours later, followed up with a bowl of GH Kendal Flake in the same pipe. Now, Kendal Flake is a real Lakeland. The difference in these last two tobaccos I've smoked, a real Lakeland and an American imitation, is in how the scents are married to the flake (or "mat," in the case of Lakeland Brickle). In Kendal Flake, the tobacco is good and the flavors are strong, but the marriage is perfect. I like both the tobaccos used and the scents employed in Lakeland Brickle, but sadly the marriage is troubled and discordant. Divorce is always a threat with Lakeland Brickle, when the scents seem to stand so far removed from the tobacco as to create sort of a conflict between the two. With Kendal Flake, no matter what smoking rate I employ, I can enjoy both the strong flavors and the underlying more basic flavors of the quality Virginias in perfect harmony. Still, I'll leave my rating at three stars for effort, and because it is an intriguing experiment, and because despite Lakeland Brickle's faults, I still get a good smoke out of it.

(I wish all blends would be listed by the blend name only, not by the name of the "series." This makes it really hard to look up tobaccos sometimes.)

The flavors are very much like a GH Lakeland Flake, but the presentation is much different. Lakeland Brickle is like a crumble cake, but really sort of more like a "crumble mat" of tobacco pressed into that vacuum bag. As to the tobacco itself, it's pretty mild. No nicotine spins here, but still the tobacco is there through all that rose and tonquin. It's really cheap right now, and was fun to play with as I cut it into chunks and put it in a mason jar. I have had maybe 5-6 bowls by now, and have enjoyed this blend so far. I said the flavors are very much like those GH flakes, but still this is not an exact match. It is an American imitation, but good in its own right. If you like the Lakeland flavors, you won't go wrong here, but there is one thing that stands out for me: with those GH flakes, the flavors can be strong, but they seem to be "married" to the tobaccos. This blend is more like tobacco with Lakeland flavors poured on top. I wouldn't really call it a quality issue-flake takes a lot of time to make properly, and I think this blend was more of a quickie. Since most of the blends we most associate with the Lakeland style are presented as flake, and since I suspect Pipesandcigars didn't have time to mess with a flake, they pressed this one into a vacuum-sealed bag for a rough-and-ready crumble cake presentation, and voila! American Fakeland Crumble Cake! Now that I've had my fun, I don't mean to deride this blend. It's really quite nice, and a great value. The flavors remind me more of Samuel Gawith Cannon Plug (yeah, that's a rare one, but the topping is redolent of Patchouli!) than the GH flakes such as Kendal and Ennerdale that I've tried. This stuff is kind of chunky, like fish food, when rubbed out. It burns a little fast, but that is ok by me, since this one seems to be more suitable than the GH flakes for heavier puffing, and does not seem to have much bite potential. I know tastes (and smoking rate preferences) can be highly subjective, but I have to say again that this is one more element this blend shares aside from its topping with SG Cannon Plug. (Again, I realize not too many folks have tried that one!) All in all, I think this is really good for a "house blend," and though there is bound to be some disagreement as to how close it comes to traditional British Lakelands, it can still be enjoyed for its own merits. I'm leaving the rating at three stars for now, but really every bowl is growing on me, so you never know.

vinnie799 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vinnie799 (33)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild Pleasant

As soon as I saw the ad about Lakeland Brickle I had to order 8oz ! It came in a vacuum packed slab about 8"x8". I cut the slab into about 2" strips just long enough to fit into tall mason jars. It arrived moist and easlily flaky. I thought Oh man I'm going to have to dry this stuff out a while. But like anything else I had to dive straight in and fire up a bowl just to see where it's at. Now, considering it's moistness , we all know that when packing moist tobacco we fill'er a bit loose. To my surprise it took a light really well and no drying for me is necessary. Brickle Does have a very slight across the pond soapiness and that's a good thing for me. The soap's alright but Russ's level is good in my opinion. I was surprised that it is as mild tasting as it is. What comes forward Va or Burley , heck I don't know, I was hoping for more strength. But to no avail it's a medium to mild smoke. However, I did find it starts to get stronger towards the last 1/3 to 1/4 of the bowl, Hmmm. Now what I did was to load up a TALL bowl with Brickle and this just happened to be MM General a 2 1/" bowl. This does the job nicely as it seems to resinate as the bowl is smoked and therefore gets a bit stronger alot quicker. But that's my take on Brickle. And that's how I smoke it. The General is only about $8USD so for any who finds Brickle not up to snuff IMHO the Genreral is the ticket. I' giving it a THREE star rating in the General.

Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

It takes an amazing aromatic to make me smoke it on a regular basis. I have found one in the new Marquee Series blend, Lakeland Brickle. This is a very perfumed, Lakeland style aromatic that is outstanding. Unlike the tobacco's in this class, this one lacks the "soapiness" that is the chief complaint of many that dislike this type of tobacco. I was very skeptical as the cake was sticky and moist when I rubbed it out. However, once rubbed out, the stickyness disappears and it packs very nicely. LB starts out sweet and grows sweeter and stronger as the bowl progresses. However, it lacks the nicotine and body of the Gawith Hoggarth blends which is a good or bad thing based on individual tastes. I would prefer a little more strength. I enjoy it most "sipped" in a churchwarden. Pipes and Cigar's blender Russ Ouellette has always made some good bulk blends, but all three of the new Marquee Series has raised Pipes and Cigars to a whole new level. This tobacco won't be for everyone, but if Lakeland tobacco's are something that you enjoy or if you want to try a totally different type of aromatic, this is a good start.