Latakia is now much less than everyone. We have let us therefore come up with a bright, very soft compound, all of the advantages of an "English Mixture" embodies typical center section for all pipe sizes, slow and clean in the burn-up, soft and cool in the smoke. Influential here is a delicate natural sweetness that a balanced composition of different grades Virginia, is achieved primarily with Maryland. The right mix for a real tobacco pleasure without gravity.

BrandTorben Dansk
Blended ByDan Tobacco
ContentsLatakia, Maryland, Virginia
Strength
Mild to Medium, Medium to Strong
None Detected, Medium to Strong
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full
Tolerable, Tolerable to Strong
2.5
renwardhoop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renwardhoop (114)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

My brief foray into latakia is at an end with this, a somewhat lighter, latakia and oriental mixture from Torben Dansk.

This isn't a Latakia bomb like the heavies from Dunhill, but till packs a middling punch that would please the all-day latakia smoker. I found it bearable if a little harsh and yes there are certainly nuances to this one that I think are lost on me, a seasoned latakia/oriental philistine.

All the usual culprits for an english are here, the orientals, latakia, virginia all giving it that tarry scent so enjoyed by many. I found this an absolute swine to keep alight, ironically answering my self asked question about freshness of tobacco in tins.

I didn't get to see if this mixture remained viable (and let's face it was destined for the back of the cupboard) before I gifted it to my latakia-expert son, who I know will give it a good home.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum lined Brebbia

Purchased From: DanPipe, Germany.

Many out there may think I am perpetrating heresy, but I find this one a not too far relative of Pease?s Renaissance. It may not have the same hidden complexity and deep subtle undertones, but it is as smooth and tasty. To a certain extent milder, this is really a wonderful English smoke, with that plum, slightly sweet and slightly bitter note that some Latakia mixtures achieve. I find it quite fragrant, supple and intriguing.

Different to London Mixture, Standard Mixture Medium or Squadron Leader, N°6 achieves a notable interplay of flavours and textures. The Vas. and Maryland leaf provide a peculiar richness, that IMO has nothing to do with the Cavendish sometimes added to English style mixtures. The Orientals and the Latakia (I believe this could very well be of Syrian origin, due to its sour-sweet complexion) impart depth, mystery and an earthiness that set it apart from the more toasty-like varieties.

The whole blend is smooth and velvety and it smokes very well. Its only drawback is a tendency to bite the tongue due to the mildness of the blend. Other than that, I would highly recommended it as an exciting change of pace within the English style tobaccos.