The blend brings together well matured Virginia from Zimbabwe and flue-cured Italian tobacco. The blend has a unique character and is flavored with whisky and maple.

"The pipe tobacco with unique aroma." Clan has it's own character - we use no less than 14 different tobaccos from all over the world to create the special taste of Clan.

BrandScandinavian Tobacco Group (STG)
Blended ByScandinavian Tobacco Group)
Manufactured ByScandinavian Tobacco Group
ContentsKentucky, Virginia
FlavoringMaple, Whisky
Packaging50g Pouch
Strength
Extremely Mild, Mild
Taste
Mild, Medium
Unnoticeable, Very Pleasant, Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable

2.0
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Scandinavian Tobacco Group - Clan.

Ok, so I reviewed this a few years ago, was fairly brutal, and when I read it back I thought I sounded like the proverbial tobacco snob. So, I deleted my former review, opened a fresh pouch up, and thought I'd be as impartial as is humanly possible.

To begin on a good note the blend has an appealing appearance: snippets of all shades of weed, and to be fair the moisture's good. The pouch note was made a little tricky to identify by the smell of plastic/chemicals from the seal glue, but forgetting those there isn't anything particularly preeminent about the note.

The smoke isn't as bad as I remembered it to be, as an otc blend it isn't in the league of St. Bruno or Condor, they get four stars but I wouldn't rate Clan with only one star. The added flavourings are very mild, the main tastes are the tobaccos: I get a very toasty note from the Burley/Kentucky. This seems to me the stronger of the leaves, the rest make a cornucopia of flavours: I guess that's the polite way of saying it tastes a bit messy! As subjective as it is, the tongue bite deters me somewhat: it's ok for the first quarter, but does begin to give me grief after that. The burn from Clan is reasonably good, but it tends to be a touch quick.

The room-note from Clan is its best feature, and the nicotine's below medium. This isn't THAT bad, nothing spectacular, but not the worst:

Two and a half stars.

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: Various

Purchased From: Various

Intrigued by the German importer's second attempt at landing this blend in Germany (the first one was aborted sometime last year), I bought a pouch.

Opening which, the pouch note is nice, very fruity, but I can still make out the VA beneath that. The 'baccy is mostly a ready rubbed, with some short ribbons in there. I can't make out the KY from the blend description, neither in the pouch note nor in the smoke. Stuffing is easy, and the burn is uncomplicated. Fast puffing will get your tongue burned, but that's my only complaint there.

The room note is quite nice, which is more than I can say about the flavour; it reminds me a bit of the tutti frutti chewing gum of my childhood which weaned me off chewing gum. I get a somewhat chemical aftertaste, too. Mind, it's sweet, and the VA does get through to the tastebuds. Those who enjoy fruity aromatics should probably try CFA out once, but there's not much there for the likes of myself.

Pipe Used: DB Commander, DB Mayfair

Age When Smoked: Fresh from new pouch

Purchased From: Appelhans, Lingen, Germany

Similar Blends: Plenty of other fruity aromatics.

o3Ho3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
o3Ho3 (28)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

This is a fair tobacco blend but... only that. Not particularly good in any direction. Price is low so... fair enough for that. But with a little more money you can certainly find a better one; and there are many...

GrowingMyOwnFood Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GrowingMyOwnFood (14)
Strong Extremely Mild Mild Unnoticeable

This is my first review, so my opinion may be biased by my inexperience. I find this tobacco not particularly aromatic, despite the name. The smell in the pouch is smokey, relatively mild. The cut is in strips, it's very dry and lights up and keeps burning easily and not excessively hot, producing an extremely rich and satisfying smoke. It is a strong tobacco with little tongue bite.

BROBS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BROBS (30)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Upon opening the pouch I was struck with mainly the scent of the Virginia, not much of anything that I would call 'aromatic'. Maybe mildly aromatic. The flavor can get a tad spicy and bite if pushed but if smoked at a slower pace it's OK. Room note is somewhat decent but not 'tutti frutti' as someone has described in my opinion. More tobacco in the room note than many aromatics. It's an alright tobacco which was one I picked up on a whim in Paris as not much was available. Not one I would buy again unless I had to as there are many better options out there. Perhaps it would benefit from some drying as it comes fairly moist from the pouch.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Diplomat 5th Ave