Another of Wilke's old recipes, a more than generous amount of Latakia mixed with Virginias and Perique makes this one of Wilke's fuller English Blends.

BrandWilke Pipe Tobacco
Blended ByCarole Burns
ContentsLatakia, Perique, Virginia
Packaging2 oz. bag, 4 oz. bag, 8 oz. bag 16 oz. bag
Strength
Taste

I am surprised I like this one, but I do. Normally Lat and Per mixed with VA is not something I enjoy, perhaps it is when Orientals are thrown in the mix that I really don't like. Further experimentation may be necessary.

This is a creamy smoky blend that puts off a lovey sidestream. I find side stream is very important when it comes to my enjoyment of lat blends as I like to occasionally take a whiff off the top of the bowl. This one is fine. The perique was not overtly evident with its spiciness, but must have been that something other that sets it apart from the many Valats I have tried. Also, setting it apart is the abundance of lat; whereas, many blends such as SG Navy and MCC Anniversary tend to use the lat as an enhancement. The lat in 622 stands out strongly.

It is what one usually looks for in a lat group creamy, smooth and smoky. I am giving this one four stars based on the sizable sample I had and upon hearing the news that Carol will no longer be blending tobacco, I added 8oz of this to a large order I placed a few months back.

I have yet to have a blend from Pipeworks and Wilke that wasn't of very high quality and #622 is no exception. Like most P&W blends, it arrives a bit moist and will need some dry time. The blend arrives with mostly dark leafs with some tan mixed in for good measure. The pouch scent is leathery and the ribbons are cut short and require no rubbing out. The Latakia and Perique take more of a dominate role in #622 with the Virginia's filling out the blend. As one would expect with a Latakia heavy blend, #622 smokes cool with no bite. The Virginia's only offer a very small touch of sweetness. Carole uses high quality baccy that can best be described as "rich" and it produces large plumes of smoke. I don't find #622 to be as complex as my two P&W favorites, #524 and #10. Lovers of full English blends should have this on their "must try" list. Personally, I would prefer a bit more underlying sweetness so it won't be a rotation regular for me. Recommended.