A full-flavored and wonderfully soft with a high proportion of Latakia Mixture under pressure fermented medium brown Virginia tobaccos, which harmonizes perfectly with the natural sweet flavor note of Latakia. Slow and low residue burning, cool smoke.

BrandTorben Dansk
Blended ByDan Tobacco
ContentsVirginia, Latakia
Strength
Taste
3.4
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is indeed a very nice combination. I purchased my tin thinking it was either a straight Virginia or a blend of various Virginia leaf. I was totally surprised by the Latakia.

If you enjoy Rattray's Red Raparee, this particular blend might be a good one to add to your cellar. It is a "dummied down" version of Red Raparee, but only from the condimental leaf standpoint and frankly, the Virginias here are more refined and tasty (IMO, of course.)

It is easy to load, burns easily and finishes with a flourish!

NapaWineLover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NapaWineLover (66)

Terrific blend. The VA is tasty and deep and the Latakia is extremely light as a condiment. Another mature VA that has a unique twist. The transition via pressure lends itself to a very creamy smoothness. You hardly hear that with blends that are half VA ... in this case it's predominantly VA and its smooth as silk with hints of a tang, hints of Latakia and all in all a very nice smoke. It's moderate in strength yet very satisfying.

The ribbon packs easily and burns very well to a light gray ash with no back talk.

Cheers, VC

I had to upgrade my review of this tobacco. It is absolutely great stuff.

After having (finally) tried this blend from the sample jars at DanPipe, I bought the bulk package. The name is, in my estimation, about as far off as is that of MacBaren's Latakia Blend curly cut, though.

Opening the package, there is a dark-with-bright ribbon in there. The nose reports copious amounts of Latakia as well as a good VA sweetness (the latter no doubt the reason for the name), and a slight liquorice note that tells me at least some of the Latakia is Syrian.

The leaf is ready to light out of the new package, lighting is a one-match affair, and it burns down to just about nothing with little maintenance; full points on handling. The taste is everything I expect of an after-dinner mixture; as such, RVS is in a lighter vein than, say, Sundowner or Nightcap. Still very satisfying to me, though. The VA used makes for a relatively sweet smoke, with the toastiness and maltiness of the blend continuing to the last embers. The room note... oh what the heck, it's an English. Learn to live with it.

Overall, this blend was a very pleasant surprise for me, as I had expected more VA and less BOOM! I obviously like it (or I wouldn't have given it four stars), and normally enjoy it alongside a good Pilsener or a dry Ale.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)

I bought TD no. 3 by a pure coincidence, and called by its promising title: Red Virginia Superb. I was expecting a pure Virginia, sweet & mature (a sort of Skipper Flake in rubbed form), this is a mild EM instead… truly disappointing !

Medium ribbon, very easy stuffing & burning.

A blend of medium Virginia and Latakia (no Orientals) smooth as silk and moderate in strength. Latakia is used as condiment, but not exactly a whisper.

The flavour is malty, salty & smoky, slightly piquant to the palate and metallic to the tongue. The smoke does not evolve during the bowl, it's good but not satisfying, leaves me wanting something more. Monochromatic but not monolithic. Uninspiring but not dull.

This is not a blend I would deliberately choose, but I have to say it's not bad a all, and may have a small share of devoted estimators. I'm not in that group at the moment… I also agree with the esteemed Pipestud that TD3 is some flattened Red Rapparee, the latter being a VaOr thing instead.

The weed is good quality as one expects from D.T.M.

Archimagister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Archimagister (4)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

My tobacconist has been trying to push this on me for a while, but I had a large backlist of more famous blends to try out, and I didn't listen to him. Now I finally yielded I have one more reason to thank the old man: this was a case of love at first bowl. Torben Dansk #3 is all that Rattray's 3 noggins is trying to be, without coming even close to the mark. You could say it keeps all the promises that 3 noggins makes when smelled but never rises to when smoked, and with a vengeance! The spicy, raisin-like fragrance I associate with red Virginias is backed-up by a generous helping of latakia, with its incense-like note. The result, however, is a rather “manly” smoke: strong, full, coarse on the edges, intense throughout, creamy but deliciously aggressive. If the tin keeps this consistently good down to the last pinch, I think my desert island list will have a new entry. The stuff comes in a XL and slightly dry ribbon cut that immediately smokes fine and for some reason I find a pleasure to manipulate, so rough and thick it is. The look of the tin is no- nonsense and attractive, and it doesn't carry those huge stickers we're getting in Europe. The ominous prophecies are exiled to smallish stickers on the back. Way to go. I can imagine some may find this kind of smoke monochromatic, but it's monochromatic the way a good Renaissance print may be: simple volumes, thick and powerful contours, strong and ascetic effect. Discovery of the month.

This is how I like my Latakia: in small amounts. Virginia predominates, and is not overwhelmed but rather complemented by the Latakia. I found it to be a mellow yet engaging smoke and would certainty recommend it to anyone who likes this type of light English blend.

pipewhisperer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipewhisperer (6)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

I just opened a tin which is at least 4 years old, I believe. It was easy to detect the Latakia and Virginia leaf, however, I was thrown off by the bright leaf. Now, after firing up a bowl, I suspect the bright leaf may be an Oriental; just a bit of tang to the taste. Regardless, the components are well balanced and yield a bite-free smoke that alternates between the Latakia and Virginia flavors. I cannot take a high percentage Latakia blend, so this condimental use of Latakia is right down my alley. The middle of the bowl gets a bit fuller in strength, but not in an annoying manner. Tongue aftertaste is almost nil - for me, the mark of quality leaf. I recommend this blend as a nice change of pace for a devout Virginia smoker like myself.

Stycle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stycle (6)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I received my first taste of no. 3 as a free sample with a large tobacco order. The taste prompted a purchase. This blend seems to me to be an excellent crossover for a hardcore latakia loverlike me into the world of straight va. blends. There is just a light touch of latakia in this blend but it does something to temper the heat I have so often encountered in the more purist oriented va.s.IMHO you get the sweetness of va. with smoothness and without the constant threat of tongue bite.This is a mild tobacco however and I give it three stars only because I regularly smoke the strong stuff. I would also observe that after a week or two of drying in the tin this tobacco burns very evenly. The ash resembles a cigar ash making #3 an excellent break in tobacco.

Fazby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fazby (36)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

Delicious latakia blend without being overpowering. Virginia base. Not a balkan blend but I switch off with Bailey's Balkan and Gordon Pym. This one is the most refined and balanced inmy opinion.