A full-flavored and wonderfully soft with a high proportion of latakia mixture under pressure fermented medium brown Virginia tobaccos, which harmonizes perfectly with the natural sweet flavor note of latakia. Slow and low residue burning, cool smoke.

BrandTorben Dansk
Blended ByDan Tobacco
ContentsLatakia, Virginia
Strength
Taste
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is indeed a very nice combination. I purchased my tin thinking it was either a straight Virginia or a blend of various Virginia leaf. I was totally surprised by the Latakia.

If you enjoy Rattray's Red Raparee, this particular blend might be a good one to add to your cellar. It is a "dummied down" version of Red Raparee, but only from the condiment leaf standpoint and frankly, the Virginias here are more refined and tasty (IMO, of course.)

It is easy to load, burns easily and finishes with a flourish!

After having (finally) tried this blend from the sample jars at DanPipe, I bought the bulk package. The name is, in my estimation, about as far off as is that of MacBaren's Latakia Blend curly cut, though.

Opening the package, there is a dark-with-bright ribbon in there. The nose reports copious amounts of Latakia as well as a good VA sweetness (the latter no doubt the reason for the name), and a slight liquorice note that tells me at least some of the Latakia is Syrian.

The leaf is ready to light out of the new package, lighting is a one-match affair, and it burns down to just about nothing with little maintenance; full points on handling. The taste is everything I expect of an after-dinner mixture; as such, RVS is in a lighter vein than, say, Sundowner or Nightcap. Still very satisfying to me, though. The VA used makes for a relatively sweet smoke, with the toastiness and maltiness of the blend continuing to the last embers with a very nice, dry, nutty note. The room note... oh what the heck, it's an English. Learn to live with it.

Overall, this blend was a very pleasant surprise for me, as I had expected more VA and less BOOM! I obviously like it (or I wouldn't have given it four stars), and normally enjoy it alongside a good Pilsener or a dry Ale.

Pipe Used: VAUEN Luxus series

Purchased From: DanPipe

Similar Blends: Dunhill - Standard Mixture.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (187)

I bought TD no. 3 by a pure coincidence, and called by its promising title: Red Virginia Superb. I was expecting a pure Virginia, sweet & mature (a sort of Skipper Flake in rubbed form), this is a mild EM instead… truly disappointing !

Medium ribbon, very easy stuffing & burning.

A blend of medium Virginia and Latakia (no Orientals) smooth as silk and moderate in strength. Latakia is used as condiment, but not exactly a whisper.

The flavour is malty, salty & smoky, slightly piquant to the palate and metallic to the tongue. The smoke does not evolve during the bowl, it's good but not satisfying, leaves me wanting something more. Monochromatic but not monolithic. Uninspiring but not dull.

This is not a blend I would deliberately choose, but I have to say it's not bad a all, and may have a small share of devoted estimators. I'm not in that group at the moment… I also agree with the esteemed Pipestud that TD3 is some flattened Red Rapparee, the latter being a VaOr thing instead.

The weed is good quality as one expects from D.T.M.

Richard Jhonson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Richard Jhonson (13)

This is how I like my Latakia: in small amounts. Virginia predominates, and is not overwhelmed but rather complemented by the Latakia. I found it to be a mellow yet engaging smoke and would certainty recommend it to anyone who likes this type of light English blend.

Fazby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fazby (66)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

Delicious latakia blend without being overpowering. Virginia base. Not a balkan blend but I switch off with Bailey's Balkan and Gordon Pym. This one is the most refined and balanced inmy opinion.