Made from matured Virginia's and just a whisper of Perique from St. James Parish gives this blend a refreshing smoke that's medium to full bodied. A broken flake.

Brand4noggins
Extremely Mild
Taste
2.7
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Small sample from 4noggins. Most of mine had turned to close to ribbon but there were still some chunks of broken flake. Chestnut brown in color with a bag aroma of high quality Virginia, the barest of dashes of perique and some type of casing I couldn't identify, either by nose or taste buds. No problems keeping this lit.

The Virginias used tasted just wonderful! Not too grassy or sweet, not an overabundance of citrus... in fact, none of the typical Virginia adjectives really describe this one, or at least, this one doesn't lean in any of those directions. Then again, perhaps an ounce isn't enough to get its full measure. But the Virginia flavor was excellent, indeed. The perique was present in each puff but very much in the background. I taste some sort of topping/casing but can't say what it is. Some say floral or Lakeland, but to my tastebuds, either it's something else or not enough was used for me to distinguish it. It was not a detractor and may have in fact been beneficial. This is recommended for those who want a good tasting Virginia with a very light dose of perique, just enough to pique the interest but not enough to steal the show. I'm not yet sure of this one's place in my rotation but it's worth picking up another 8 oz or so just to see. I have to say this one seems very well done! This one isn't quite a 4 star blend (yet) but it's definitely better than the average 3 star blend. Call it 3.4 stars for now.

Pipe Used: meerschaum

fireball Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fireball (36)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

This reminds me of Hal o The Wynd in appearance and flavour. It's a kind of malty virginia, not tangy or bitey in any way, but also not really that sweet either. I don't feel any of the perique personally, and Alamosa stands up well to the delayed gratification technique. Burns well all the way down with a rounded flavour. Not as floral as Prairie Wind IMO, which for me is a good thing.

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)

I like VaPers and this is a decent one, if I could, I'd give it 2.5 stars but choosing between 2 and 3 I'll take 3.

A red Virginia based blend, I prefer Cool Hand Fluke to this one. There's something about the particular Virginias in this blend that make it a bit edgy -- the perique does help, but I get more mouth fatigue from this blend than from other blends that have more perique.

It does burn well, and the cut is easy to work with.

Legend Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Legend (3)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I too, have detected a floral, almost "Lakeland" aroma in this blend. It is not at all unwelcome or unpleasant though. It tastes like good sweet VA to me, and the amount of Perique is barely detectable. The "tin note" is very similar to McClelland's 5100, and I think those who like the Red Cake may enjoy Alamosa as well. The cut is similar to Mac Baren's broken flakes. I got this in a sample from Rich at 4Noggins, and I'm going to get summore! Recommended.

Serpico Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Serpico (1)

As mentioned above, there seems to be a slight floral taste. Just the right amount to make this a very enjoyable blend. I'm glad I bought this blend before reading anything about it as the "floral" thing might have put me off of trying it. A very nice blend from 4noggins!

gildervoigts Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gildervoigts (16)

This is a great smoke. It is naturally sweet with a taste that is smooth and easy to smoke. It has a little floral taste that I like and the crumble flake makes it easy to pack and keep lit. It smokes down to a fine white ash with no gunk left in the bottom of the pipe.

djh985 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
djh985 (2)

If you like a nice mild Virginia with just a small amount of Perique then this blend is for you. I find it smokes best in small bowl pipes and with just a little bit of age on it this baccy will perform nicely.This is a blend I would definitely put someone on that is just venturing into va's and vapers. A solid 3 star perfomer for me.

oregonpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oregonpipe (13)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Alamosa came as a sample with an order from 4 Noggins. First impression was a nice broken flake VA. Pouch note was very typical of 4 Noggins' VA blends (several of which I have tried so far) that is, a dried fruit smell of topping or humectant. I let this air and dry as I had the other blends. This dissipated nicely. In my experience smoking these blends straight from the pouch without some dry and air time will cause that dried fruit aroma to come through in the smoke and lead to bite. My first bowl started out nicely but later on seemed to be permeated with a flavor that I found rather unpleasant. It's hard to put a finger on but I would describe it as floral or perfume-y. Frankly, I was a bit disappointed, having really enjoyed other 4N VAs. I gave it several more shots over a period of a couple of months thinking it might improve. It never did. That taste stayed. I can't say it was awful but not what I would expect in a straight VA or Vaper. It is as if were meant to be a mild aromatic. Not my cup of tea. And not something I would purchase. Unfortunately, this is one 4 Noggins blend I can cross off my list. Much more pleased with the likes of Weybridge and Prairie Wind. I think these provide a much more "natural" tobacco flavor. But for those folks who can appreciate an aromatic component Alamosa might be just the ticket.

Edgy6gun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Edgy6gun (7)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

First thing, the description says there is no flavoring. If that's true, then my sample accidentally got some bug spray in it -okay, it's not that bad but I was hoping for a nice, straight VaPer and instead got a Lakeland VaPer. As others have mentioned, this is because of a light Lakeland flavoring. In my opinion, this ruins an otherwise nice Virginia tobacco. If you like Lakelands (like Gawith's Ennerdale) but would like less of the soap/perfume/dryer sheet flavor, this one might work for you. For me, the Lakeland flavor is the one tobacco blending element that I cannot stand in any amount without it turning my stomach and feeling the need to check the bowl to see if I accidentally loaded it with a dryer sheet instead of tobacco. Rating it one star for not warning people about the flavoring in its description.

½ bowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
½ bowl (38)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Unnoticeable

Roughly rubbed out flake -- almost chunky, it would be ideal as an outdoor smoke. For indoor smoking I need to rub this out more. Great VaPer taste where the Perique is subdued and the Vas remind me of Mac Baren HH Matured, but with the happy addition of a smidgeon of some kind of Lakeland style essence. This topping is very, very restrained, and merely borders on the Lakeland flavor, so don't dismiss this one out of hand.

Pipe Used: Radice, BC

Age When Smoked: 3 yrs.

Purchased From: 4noggins house blend

Similar Blends: Mac Baren HH Mature Virginia and Peterson Hyde Park.