Light to medium English blend.

BrandGolden Leaf Tobacco

3.6
Irish Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Irish (5)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Right off the bat, I really enjoy trying shop blends. I came upon a new blend recently called Shipwreck. This blend is a combination of latika, 2000, Red Cake, and perique all from McClelland. When I opened the pouch a wonderful medium English aroma greeted me. When I smoked a bowl, I noticed that the flavor was full but not overwhelming and there was no bite. All tobaccos came out in a very well balanced manner. The tobacco burned to the bottom of the bowl and was very good all the way to the bottom. Those around me seem to enjoy the aroma. This is a wonderful shop blend at Golden Leaf Tobacco, 277 W. 7th St. in St. Paul, Minnesota. Highly recommended.

JimInks (1986)

The very smokey, woody, musty, lightly floral, sweet Cyprian latakia is the lead component. In an important support role is the very tangy, dark fruity, earthy red Virginia which also offers a bit of the “McClelland” vinegar, though it does fade some as you go along. The spicy, raisiny, stewed fruity perique is a noticeable background player. The strength level is medium, and the taste is in the center of medium to full. The nic-hit is just past the center of mild to medium. No chance of bite or harshness, though it does have a rough edge here and there. Burns cool, clean, and slightly slow with a deeply rich, consistent flavor all the way to the finish. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires a few relights. Has a very pleasant, lingering, vampire after taste and room note. Can be an all day smoke for those experienced in English blends, and is repeatable for those who are not.

FP Stew Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FP Stew (19)

This is in my Top-Five English and Top-Ten of the 150+ blends tried to-date. Irish’s review has this one nailed perfectly!

Yesterday I happened to be in downtown St. Paul, Minnesota. After a meeting, I grabbed my half smoked AM Pipe which happened to be filled with Shipwreck, so I thought, I’ll go over to Golden Leaf and finish the bowl while I write up notes from the meeting. The Golden Leaf Tobacco Shop is a really nice place to pass an hour and Man was that I nice bowl … even after about 1 ½ pounds of this blend I still find that I really enjoying the complex nuances of this blend, This blend is my 4++ of 4.

If you are traveling through my beloved homeland of Minnesota and are in the neighborhood of St. Paul or Minneapolis … you will not be disappointed if you stop in at the Golden Leaf (both shops are great!). There are many house blends, and if you like nutty Virginia, Burley blends, be sure to try “Frog Town” too. (I have expanded the brotherhood of pipe smokers by offering an ounce of Frog Town to several friends … a real crowd pleaser that tastes better than the room note)

Pipe Used: Many - Works well in all sizes

Age When Smoked: Bulk smoked fresh to 2 years old (All Good!)

Purchased From: The Golden Leaf in St. Paul and Minneapolis, Minnesota

Similar Blends: Seatle Evening and McClelland's Dark English.

Pat1075 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pat1075 (2)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Very Pleasant

This is by far one of my favorite house blends nationwide. The boys at the Golden Leaf have always made some of the best house blends. This is smoky, earthy and just a little peppery.

Pipe Used: Dunhill billiard

Purchased From: Golden Leaf Minneapolis

Similar Blends: Night Cap, Crown Achievement.

AdminDavid Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AdminDavid (1)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Very Pleasant

For some reason I was drawn to this jar of tobacco on the counter when we first stepped into the tobacco shop. It was the name "shipwreck" that caught my vivid imagination and the scent was amazing - dark, sinister, mysterious Latakia (which I didn't know then). I waited for David to converse with the owner behind the counter and sample a few other tobaccos before insisting he try the Shipwreck. It really was love at first smell. I adore the masculine aroma when David smokes this blend. He says it leaves a pleasant but strange taste in his mouth. We went back yesterday and bought some more and for us the expense is quite a naughty luxury.

Pipe Used: Savinelli de Luxe