Great care is taken in slow-stoving beautiful, sugary Virginia until it is jet black; then, it is mixed with high-sugar bright Virginia to achieve a perfect balance. Never sharp, always mellow and rich, this exceptional blend has the qualities necessary for perfect aging.

Notes: No longer produced. Reproposed by McClelland under CORPS Series.

BrandLevin Pipes International
Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Strength
Taste
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

For the Virginia lover, I can highly recommend Sophisticate if you can find this old, no longer produced classic. The contents demanded long-term aging and my tin was about 20-years old. When I popped the top the smell was so wonderful, I couldn't decide whether to smoke it or eat it. I did finally opt for the former and went through the tin in a hurry. I really don't know when I've smoked a smoother, more flavorful Virginia blend. Just enough strength to keep me interested, and just enough flavor to make this one a candidate for multiple bowls in the same day... and in the same pipe as it smoked to a gray, dry ash with each bowlful.

I compare this one favorably with the first and less sweet 1983 Crop McCranie's Red Ribbon.