A mix of Virginias and Burleys with the hint of Rum.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blend TypeVirginia/Burley
2.0
beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (100)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

If I'd bothered to do just a little research beyond this site to explain why this tobacco has sat here unreviewed lo these many years, I probably wouldn't have bothered ordering it.

Failing that, however, I decided to tack 2 oz of bulk Rumbh to an order a few months ago. I'm an outright fanboy of G&H and I figured I couldn't go wrong.

Rumbh is really a cigarette tobacco and is listed as such on some UK-based tobacconist sites. It's a fine cut shag mix of Virginia and Burley with an almost non-existent rum flavoring that is perfect for rolling or stuffing into tubes. But like Kendal Kentucky, a tobacco with which it has some things in common, it can also be seen as a dual purpose, or crossover leaf.

That said, it's not nearly as enjoyable as Kendal Kentucky. Rumbh is a little harsh in both pipe and rolling paper. And the rum topping is barely there at all. I only notice it in the pipe and then as a sort of fugitive sweetness that pops up about as often as Jimmy Hoffa. This ain't no Whack-a-Mole aromatic. But it does smell nice. And it's really quite strong. So I'll have no problem smoking it up either on its own or tossed into a mild aromatic blend to give it some oomph.

I can cautiously recommend this to any pipe smoker looking for a fast burning shag with a very light rum topping that is useful for both cigarettes and small-bowled pipes. Heck, there must be millions of those guys out there.