Typical air-cured aroma, enhanced with the sweetness of chocolate flavouring.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
FlavoringCocoa / Chocolate
CutShag
Strength
Very Mild, Mild
Taste
3.6
Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

These Kentucky-cured shags by GH such as this, KK, and Dark Birdseye all taste very similar to me. Granted, they are not everyday smokes; I smoke the occasional bowl and use them a bit in blending. I tried an experiment last night and mixed the three blends I mentioned together, and really think I would have a hard time tasting the difference between the mixture and any one of these shags on its own! Even if they are not my everyday choice, I wouldn't be without something like this in my collection as a "change of pace" (yes, that expression is very overused). Actually, if I were exiled on a desert island (also an overused expression), and could only take perhaps five blends with me, I would choose this, or the Dark Birdseye, or Kendal Kentucky, just because they are such pure examples of this particular style, are high nicotine (economical), and are shags, so one can even roll a knockout cigarette from them; something I have done, and believe me, it's a cigarette that should be smoked in stages...

Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I agree with DK about the similarities between this and Kendall Kentucky. I also sensed no cocoa or chocolate, but I do like what sweetness there is in it. I've grown tired of the Lakeland essence, but it's mild here, so I don't mind it. I prefer it lightly moist and not dry because I find it more flavorful that way. Being a shag, it's going to burn well anyhow, but I wouldn't puff it fast because it does have a good nic hit and you want the fullness of its rich flavor anyway. There is a cigar note or two in here if you smoke it fast.

Underrated outside of this review blog, it's a world class smoke that is enjoyed best with hot coffee.

Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This one appears to have fallen under the radar here at TR.com with only 5 reviews so far. My review is based on a one ounce sample that I quickly parlayed into a 2 pound purchase. This stuff is indeed that good.

This is Kendal Kentucky's cousin from one state over. Both are shag cut, fairly dark in color and high in nicotine. Both are barely sweet, although this one is a tad sweeter, and both have nice cigar notes, but not too cigar-y. I did not taste any chocolate or cocoa in either one but if I had to choose one that was closer, this wouldn't be the one. This is just a beautifully rich and rewarding smoke that tastes of tobacco, virginia tobacco in place of KK's burley, but keep in mind that these are the African strains. The reference to Gallahers Rich Dark Honeydew is well taken and I basically agree, although my memory of what RDH tastes like fresh is hazy. My last 4 tins of RDH were all at least 10 years old, some of them closer to 20. But based on memory, this one is indeed close. But it isn't a sweet melon flavor to me - it's more of a brisk lightly sweet iced tea. Or something. I'm so terrible at placing flavors. I'm fine with what things ain't but not so good at what they are. :)

The chances are good that if you enjoy Kendal Kentucky, you'll like this one as well. Just a bit of a different take, but with a lot of similarities. A 4 star blend, without a doubt.

Bluenoser Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluenoser (34)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Pleasant

There are some things in life we never forget. For pipe smokers, specific to pipe smoking itself, I believe our desire to start smoking a pipe begins at a very young age. I know most if not all of you often reflect on those joyous and perhaps distant memories of our fathers, grandfathers, uncles, family friends ‘et al'.....smoking their briars intently, methodically, peacefully and without any form of prejudice whatsoever. The fragrant and pungent odors from pipe tobacco has no memory jolting-olfactory equal, save perhaps mom's apple pie or the baking of bread in a wood stove oven on a cold winters morning. I started smoking a pipe some twenty-two years ago and of course, like all those before me, began the hunt for that magical tobacco. My transition from aromatics to English was rather swift where I eventually settled very comfortably in the world of English Virginia blends. My absolute favorites were St. Bruno, Condor and Three Nuns but I would sometimes try another blend in the same genre.

Getting to the point of never forgetting some things in life, I will never forget the absolute pleasure I experienced with my first pouch of Gallaher's Rich Dark Honey Dew. Simply, for me, one of the best Virginia tobaccos I had ever had the pleasure of smoking. I was so impressed I returned to my tobacconist following my first bowl and bought the last three pouches he had in stock. Little did I know at the time, those would be the last packets of RDH he would ever carry. I would never forget that deep, naturally sweet, powerful and sophisticated taste. RDH simply elevated my taste buds to another level and left me with a deeply seeded memory I thought would remain as a memory only...................until I opened the bag of No. 7 Mixture.

No. 7 offers an exceedingly close resemblance to Gallaher's RDH in all categories. It's dark brown shaggy cut and faintly restrained Kendal casing along with it's soft velvet texture smacks of RDH's long lost twin. While smoking No. 7 it's medium-to-strong strength and billowing white spicy smoke with that underlying sweetness of rich deep flavor adds yet further dimensions to the overall cloning effect to RDH that I am getting. No. 7 does not evolve significantly during the smoke and I am thankful for that as I truly enjoy the experience of its' original flavor right from the charring light. No. 7 has, for me, brought back those wonderful elated memories over two decades ago when most of the UK's tobacco offerings filled the shelves of Canadian tobacconists. God bless the internet and thank goodness for the plethora of e-tailer tobacconists. No. 7 is most highly recommended!

Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I, like Pipestud and Steverino, didn't taste much of a chocolate flavor in this blend but there is an undeniable underlying sweetness that comes along with a pretty good punch of Lady N. I do detect a very light chocolate scent in the pouch and strangely after many bowls, I did get some of the taste after using a large, wide bowl. When completely dried, the shag cut makes for a quick and if one is not careful, hot burn. Smoking Kendal's #7 quickly can make this go from sweet to bitter fast! I do not detect any of the soapy smell that GH is often known for having. This blend is not related to GH's #7 Broken Flake. I'm not a big Virginia smoker, but this one is a keeper for me. Recommended.

Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

The descriptive says Cocoa and Chocolate flavoring have been added to this blend. I tasted neither. I got a rich, deep Virginia flavor and a fairly quick burn from the shag cut. The strength and flavor combination was delightful. A deep dark sweetness enhances the already strong tobacco presence. This stuff is just flat wonderful!

Steverino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steverino (6)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

“Kendal No. 7 - Typical air-cured aroma, enhanced with the sweetness of chocolate flavoring.”

When I first saw this tobacco, I immediately thought Dark Bird's Eye. No. 7 resembles DBE's fine, hair-like constitution, but without the “bird's eyes”. The aroma of the tobacco is similar as well, as both tobaccos are made from dark leaf. With these similarities, I expected No. 7 to taste very similar to DBE. There is some similarity in flavor but there are additional characteristics that give No. 7 its own personality.

The fine cut makes it easy to load the pipe and the tobacco takes to flame readily. One match will usually do if you don't feel the need to tamp after lighting. Upon ignition, No. 7 produces a large volume of smoke. This may be due to the fine cut burning relatively quickly.

The Lakeland scent is what I first notice after the tobacco is burning. It never gets strong or dominant in this blend but you probably won't miss it. It seems to diminish somewhat as the bowl progresses. There is also a subtle sweetness in this blend which is present throughout most of the bowl. It too is mostly a background player. One interesting taste I noticed is pepper, as might be experienced with a perique blend, and not a little bit. I've noticed this in other dark fire-cured and air-cured blends and it is apparently a characteristic of that leaf. An aspect of No. 7 that is an enigma to me is the “chocolate flavoring” mentioned in the manufacturer's description. I've smoked quite a few bowls and haven't been able to identify anything that resembles chocolate. This may have something to do with what I'm perceiving as sweetness but it just doesn't come through as chocolate to me.

*We are not told directly what the components of this blend are. As mentioned earlier, since No. 7 resembles DBE in both appearance and aroma, it is logical to assume that the same dark leaf is used, though it is air-cured rather than fire-cured as with DBE. The overall dark color of the tobacco seems to confirm this. I find the taste to be similar to burley as there is no Virginia grassiness or tanginess.

As for nicotine strength, this is a tobacco that can sneak up on you. If you pay attention and smoke at a reasonable pace, No. 7 is your friend and shouldn't overpower experienced smokers. If you get busy doing something else while you smoke, it can come up behind you and slap you on the back of the head.

This offering from Gawith, Hoggarth is a good blend for the smoker who enjoys a Lakeland-style tobacco but prefers the scented flavor in a more moderate proportion. The medium to full flavor and substantial nicotine level should satisfy all but the most demanding of smokers. Recommended.

*Addendum

When I wrote this review, I had not seen a description of this tobacco that listed the constituent tobaccos. I recently found such a description on one of the etailers' web page:

"The main distinguishing feature of this mixture is the high proportion of Indian dark air-cured tobacco in the blend (35%), which lends a certain 'cigar-type' aroma to the smoke. Combined with 27% dark-fired leaf and only 38% flue-cured Virginias the blend provides a fairly strong smoke." I was close!