Hollandsche Rooktabak Fijne Snede

Notes: De ze tabak , een melange uit de edelste soorten, is met de grootste zorgvuldigheid bereid volgens een oud hollands recept. This tobacco, a mixture from the noblest species, is prepared with the greatest care according to an old Dutch recipe.

Blend TypeOther
Taste
1.8
Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (132)

I bought a pouch for 6 euros in a Tabac shop in France. A shag cut, light aromatic tobacco. The taste reminds of cigarettes but without the awful aftertaste. There is a light licorice topping and maybe other flavors to hide the fact that this tobacco is made with lower grade leaf. In other words, a shag cut made for the masses with lower income in mind. That said, I like it for what it is. Do not expect a mind blowing experience but, I could see why this is a popular tobacco in France. Cheap, good burning qualities and a decent amount of flavor that is not overly shadowed by the topping. One of the best drugstore pipe tobaccos available in Continental Europe. Recommended for it's kind, a traditional Dutch blend.

L'Italiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
L'Italiano (52)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I smoked one and a half kilos of this Dutch tobacco (this tobacco is produced in France, but the recipe is dutch). Really it is a tipical dutch taste. Lightly flavored, it is an all day long tobacco and it doesn’t cloy. The taste is almost neutral. You can smoke it straight but it is also good as a blending tobacco specifically to dilute the other mixtures (too strong or too expensive). In my personal rating (from 0 to 10) my score is 6 and two stars.

Raines Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Raines (27)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Strong

This tobacco is probably a best seller in France. Actually it's the most known. It's sweet and rather tasty. It's a good tobacco for beginners because of its low nicotine strength and its taste that isn't disgusting.

Julian Arden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Julian Arden (8)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

My experience with this tobacco reaches 80-s, when Amsterdamer was available lightly pressed in vacuum packed pouches, and was made in Switzerland, not in France. I remember this tobacco well, as relatively light, golden shag of a very pleasant, subtle sweet "grassy" flavoring. As I suspect, it was mostly kumarine. Just recently I had extremely different affair with this stuff. After a long gap, last week in Paris I've bought one pouch of Amsterdamer, which surprised me as dark, harsh, of cheap impression tobacco, something like really bad cigerette. Previous aroma was not detected at all, another one was barely present, but in any case it was nothing pleasant. Generally, it is different and significally worse tobacco than 20 years ago, made by different company, of different tobaccos and with different (if any) flavoring. It is bad thing, which shouldn't be considered as pipe tobacco.

Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (86)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

When I saw a pouch of this on the shelf of a tobacconist it was half buried in the midst of other pouches, I haven't seen it before (or, to say better, probably I always ignored it) and in effect this pouch was a sort of archaeological find cause it was produced by the French Seita no longer existent, so before opening the pouch I did a brief research cause honestly I was totally ignorant about it, what I found is that Amsterdamer is an historical tobacco on the classic Dutch genre (obviously due its name!) : shag cut, many tobaccos employed no one leading the theme but fused with other and completed with the traditional Dutch flavoring: tonka – coumarin-vanilla-mint. Well opening the pouch I found a dark brown tobacco with just a ghost of flavoring (yes, was vanished), the feeble tobacco smell was mostly reminding of “tropical” varieties such Java, Sumatra etc… so often present in Dutch tobaccos, sadly (how predictable) it was so dry to being powdery under my fingers, I smoked a couple of bowls just as it was then I tried to moistening the rest with almost decent results but the taste was in any case dull, a pity cause the trace of flavour still detectable tells me that it has been a pleasant tobacco, I don't know if it is still produced and I'm sad having not tried it years ago. I am very curious to know the thoughts of others about Amsterdamer.

Sorry, I'm not able to give a sincere rating based on a such poor test, just a Solomonic two stars.