A rich Virginia tobacco with 5% Perique added to keep the mixture cool on the palate. A dark, smooth, wonderful flake tobacco.

BrandTreasures of Ireland
Taste
Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

I bought this one because it was a VA/Périque blend and the name was appealing to my dominant Irish roots.

Despite being a genuine flake, this bakkie reminded me of Old Gowrie because of its grassy smell and medium brown colour. However, there was a sweet/fig and spicy underlying aroma that could only be from the Périque.

I can believe there is only 5% of Périque in this blend. But it's just enough to perk it up a bit. As the flakes are rather thin, they rub out really easily and can become like cigarette tobacco - shag cut- because the moisture level is rather high.

Anyhow, the lighting is easy and it smokes dry all the way down. The taste is subtle and ageeable. Grassy, a tiny spicy and sweet. Of course, the Périque is not really perceptible but there is this little extra compared to Old Gowrie.

This flake needs to be smoked slowly so it can be enjoyed fully. With a glass of Bushmills single malt 16 years, for example. Relaxing, in other words.

This is not a strong, nicotine punch VA flake. However, it has its elegance and merit.

I first smoked this out from a vacuum sealed tin that was dated 10/97, making it slightly over 11.5 years old. Upon opening the tin, the flakes were of a medium brown color at just the right moisture level for smoking. There were no detectable sugar crystals and the tobacco looked almost dullish (matted and on the gray side) in color. The tin aroma was reminiscent of something I've had in the past - like peat and wine. I'm thinking the original Mac Baren's Plumcake, not the newer incarnation), and a bit funky (I suspect from the Perique). This "funk" did translate at times into the taste as peaty. Although I wouldn't classify this one as a true VaPer, the Perique did make its presence known, but minimally. It had a very subtle hint of fennel in the aftertaste, but I think this was the Perique. It was also a bit like licorice/chocolate in the aftertaste. This was overall one of the smoothest Virginias I have ever smoked, and with enough Virginia tobacco flavor to satisfy. The Perique did add a nice spicy presence that I found enjoyable (not really peppery or salty), but unlike any other Perique blend I have ever tried (good for me as I am not a huge fan of Perique). I don't know what the top dressing may be, but it was pleasant. Before lighting, sucking on the stem revealed a molasses-like flavor presence. After lighting, slow puffing produces an almost chocolate-like taste and aroma. Very delicious. I will purchase a newer tin to compare the characteristics. As stated, I never was a fan of perique, but this one works for me.

UPDATE 5-23-11: Now that my 11.5 year old tin has been opened for a time, I am enjoying this tobacco more and more. The peaty mustiness is ever present. I feel that it is not entirely due to the Perique and still a bit chocolate-like. I tried a newer tin just purchased and honestly find it the same as the 11.5 year old tin. The older tin had a more darker appearing flake (assume from the aging) and a more, musty-molasses-like tin aroma. By the way, a very nice side-stream sweetness when you take your time with this one and a great room note.

UPDATE 5-30-13: Beautiful smell of figs upon opening my last of six (purchased 2 1/2 yrs ago) 50gm tins. Wonderful smoking experience and that's saying a lot from someone who doesn't care much for Perique. I have a one pound slab of this that is over 2 years old, sealed, and in my tobacco storage unit. Can be hard to come by these days. It is different from what I'm used to, but very nice.

Smokey the Werewolf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smokey the Werewolf (3)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

So I was in the tobacco store and looking to pick up a tin of something new to try. The owner always keeps lots of Dan blends in stock, mostly aromatics like Da Vinci, which is the favorite of many of his regulars. I see the Limerick, which I've overlooked many times before, but this time I pick it up and read the tin description. Says it's a Virginia flake. Well, I like Virginia flakes, my favorite being Full Virginia Flake by Samuel Gawith. This, I decide, might be worth a try, so I buy the tin. I sit down in the smoking lounge, open the tin, and pack a bowl.

For that first bowl, I don't think I really "got" this tobacco. It was enjoyable for sure, but I don't think I really got it. Very mild flavoring of some unidentifiable sort at the beginning of the bowl that burns off before mid-bowl. All-in-all a pleasant smoke. Packs easy and burns great. I had no complaints, though it wasn't like the VA flakes I was accustomed to.

I get home and pack another bowl. Still packs easy, lights well, and burns well. Still tastes good, but this time it hits me -- there's perique in this. There is the unmistakable spicy, tangy deliciousness of perique. And that realization made a world of difference. I guess it's knowing what I'm supposed to be tasting, but the blend became much more enjoyable. The perique makes itself known all thru the bowl, and especially toward the end. It's not as prevalent in the taste here as it is in Butera's Kingfisher and certainly not as much as my staple VA/per, SG's St James Flake, but it's there, and it makes this blend really, really good.

Highly recommended to the smoker who is new to flakes because this one burns so easily and to the Virginia smoker who is looking to expand into VA/per's, but just overall recommended on it's own merit as a nice, enjoyable smoke.

I like the flake presentation. It burns cool and slow, so expect to spend some time with it when you light up a bowl. There is a topping with some sweetness that melds with the natural sweetness of the Virginia. There's some light grass and woody notes, but that flavor is a minor player. The perique is barely noticeable, and has a slight sweet note and very little pepper when it does show. Very little nicotine content, but it's a pleasure to sip and savor. More of a restive, relaxed smoke meant for times you aren't busy with very much.

Spirit pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Spirit pipe (4)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Limerlick virginia perique tobacco =Fruity taste just a little bit similar to Erinmore flake less burley, the Perique is not powerful just a little to give it a cool dry tobacco is smoked without bite a simple sweet smoked all day,dark fruity floral subtle peppery taste of tea less orange than orlk golden slice it does not compare to a dark solid viper example bayou morning flake Cornell&Diehl , 2015 mcClelland 3stars for its zest and daily ease any possible way.

Pipe Used: Savinelli bing favorite

Similar Blends: .orlik golden slice,solani 633,enrimore flake and more,more,more,more,more.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Once I opened the tin I got the taste of fig. It was the first time this scent was so clear, even my wife recognized it immediately. The tobacco is in flakes with brown and dark brown color. Its humidity is good and it contains Virginia and 5% Perique, according to the description, which you can feel easier in the morning smoke. After a meal and a glass of wine, the flavors emerge better. Maybe because I am not a Perique fan. For me, it's not an all day smoke, but I will try to find and store a couple more tins, believing that I will be rewarded, taste wise, for my effort. It is packed quite easily, but the first light-ups were a bit difficult.

Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I am just now smoking the last bowl of what ended up working out to a five-bowl sample of very crunchy, dried-out flakes. No problem, that's how I like my flakes! Obviously, then, this review is based on limited experience, and I can't say anything about tin note or appearance, though these are rather typical, well-formed Virginia flakes. I'm glad I waited to review until the last bowl of my sample. The first bowls were not promising, but that is only because I have had limited opportunity to learn this new blend (to me). Much better to smoke a bit more of course, but I can see now how some folks seem to like this. I probably puffed too hard on the first bowls. I think I left the dry flake out too long on them as well, and it probably absorbed some tainted moisture from the room or something, because those first bowls were harsh. I packed this last bowl right out of the bag, and am sipping it more slowly. I am getting much better flavors now. In fact, the casing and style of this kind of reminds me of MacBaren, and I am treating it accordingly! Nice VAPER for sipping. I say VAPER, but being somewhat jaded to Perique, I would have to say this one is like PSLNF: if they say it has Perique, I'll just have to take their word for it! The person who sent me the sample thinks there's burley, but I would have to say based on this last bowl, no. There's something in the curing of this flake that causes a little burley-like roughness when it's puffed heavily, but that is all. All in all, though I really haven't smoked enough of this for a proper review, this farewell bowl of my first introduction to Limerick is good enough for me to recommend it to the lover of milder VAPER flakes, and I will probably buy my own tin of it sometime. Very nice sweetness from the Virginias, mild and pleasant topping which is not overbearing as long as you behave yourself, and a very good burner.

vinnie799 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vinnie799 (33)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Given the oppurtunity to smoke Limerick I am grateful. The gracious sample that I was given is aged 7yrs. I've not smoked a fresh tin of this blend. The flakes I have are dark brown, not black like Dark Star though, and crystalized with sugar comng to the surface. This is one ssuh-weet smoking experience here. The flakes broke easily and I rub them out all the way as I fill my bowl. I did let a couple bowls worth dry to almost crispy as I do most predominately VA blends. To me it just seems to open the bouquet of flavor in a VA. It lights very easily and burns without a lot of fuss with relights clear to the bottom. I can't say that I've noticed much strength but as for taste I'm satisfied with this VaPer.

This blend obviously ages well. And I would heartily recommend what I'm smoking here to anyone who appreciates a fine tobacco. Again, I just can't vouch for a fresh tin but if you have the patience to age some, a person won't be dissappointed. And, if you're aging some you are probably a VaPer smoker to begin with. I'll recommend this blend and give what I have Three stars.

ELF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ELF (40)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This is an Excellent Virginia Tobacco.I've always Been a huge fan of Dunhill's Elizabethan Mixture(This tobacco I find almost a'Twin')Limerick has More ZING...'Elizabethan' is a Tenor,While 'Limerick' sings like a 'Baritone'...Highly Recommended!!

Plus Twos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Plus Twos (6)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have just discovered this flake on the internet in a 16oz bulk pack which arrived by post in very good condition. It's also very good value compared to Irish tobacco prices.It's a little weaker that I usually smoke but a nice long ribbon flake which rubs up well and packs nicely. Gives a reasonable nicotine hit and is a smooth smoke with no bite so far. I often smoke outdoors when shooting or fishing and this burns well outdoors without 'flaring'. It's a nice 'all day' smoke. The wife says it has a tolerable room note so I can keep it going at the computer.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

In my quest for the ultimate VaPer, I was gifted a tin of this blend to try and to review. It only contains 5% perique so it's more of a VA Flake than a VaPer and I tasted just a little of the perique in it. It gives more of a peppery note to the blend against a backdrop of a Va flake with hay like notes. The blend in the tin consists of semi rubbed out flakes that I rubbed out farther after letting it dry some. In the tin the flakes were a little too moist for my liking. It is a uniform medium to dark brown in color and when rubbed out it is more of a ribbon cut with nice long lengths of tobacco packing easily into the pipe. It really is somewhat bland in it's tin note, faintly smelling of cut hay. Upon lighting up, one is greeted with a nice even burning smoke, somewhat haylike and with the touch of peppery zest to the smoke. It kinda reminds me of Skandinavik in it's taste with similiar body. It burns down quite well into a dark grey ash and little dottle. It does smoke very dry, i never got any kind of moisture in my pipe at all. My biggest negative is the blend is very one dimentional, it does not change from start to finish and quite honestly, it became quit boring towards the end of my bowls of it. So, while it is a decent blend, it never gave me any excitement or even any "N' factor so I cannot give it more than two stars.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

It does, unfortunately, lack a bit on the nicotine department.

Nevertheless, this is a very interesting flake well worth the try.

Smooth and tasty.

Having enjoyed a few tins of this blend, I find myself at fault for not commenting earlier.

Opening the tin, the aroma is pure VA. Grassy, somewhat sweet, with some acidity to it. I love it. The flakes don't seem to contain anything dark (like, e.g., Perique).

Rubbed out or folded, there is little difference. The smoke is nice and even, no dottle worth mentioning left over, and the taste is steady except for the last bit, where the rather elusive Perique does finally make itself felt in the form of a gentle, peppery note that lingers on for a bit after the pipe is finished.

A great offering, IMHO, with freshness and spice; certainly worth a try for any VA flake smoker. While I personally can stand more Perique, this blend makes me smile while I smoke (few do that), it's easy to maintain, it's satisfying... I don't believe I have anything else that could add to the praise. I like this stuff a lot.

Far as I know, this blend is still in full production, and I can (and do) still get it either by mail order or by kicking my local tobacconist in the right places.

Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I was gifted about 50 grams of this from a friend. I'm not sure what the "flake" looks like in the tin since this was in a baggy but it was long, flake-like strands. It appeared to have been slightly rubbed out but I didn't see it in the tin so I really don't know.

Two things in the below reviews stand out. First, this one does remind me of Dorchester to a large degree in that the perique is mainly a teaser and the predominate flavor is of a sweet grassiness or hay. It's fairly monodimensional but the second item I saw below is someone mentioning the floral, Kendal aroma, which I also noticed. It was very mild but it was consistently there through the entire 50 grams. It added a dimension that the Dorchester does not, in that regard. Coin flip on which of the two I would prefer.

I believe this one is out of production but if you can find it, it's a nice change of pace for either the Gawith soapy flavor lovers and the sweet grassy VaPer lovers, as it combines the two while rounding off the edges of both. Quite an innovative blend, and I enjoyed my time with it. If it comes back, I'd probably buy more.

Logwood Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Logwood (9)

What I immediately notice about this tobacco is that it produces a cool smoke. This is for those who appreciate the flavor of the tobacco itself, rather than any additional flavoring.

The addition of a small amount of Perique to the blend, adds something extra, that is more noticeable as the bowl progresses.

It also produces quite a reasonable nicotine hit, without being too strong.

All in all, a very enjoyable smoke, if you are not looking for an aromatic.

Pure brilliance!!

The Punisher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Punisher (44)

This is a splendid VA flake combined with some Périque. Although discreet, this condiment adds a nice spicy note.

The flakes are rather thin, composed of dark, medium brown and some occasional golden leaf. The moisture level is optimal and the tin aroma is very grassy with the typical sweet/spicy/vinegry smell of the Périque.

I like my flakes with a mixture of fully rubbed combined with partly rubbed. Lighting is easy and the tobacco smokes even all the way. The taste is grassy and spicy with barely any sweet notes.

I doubt very much there is any casing or topping in this flake. It seems like a pure VA/Périque flake and it smokes dry until the last bit of tobacco, leaving a nice gray ash.

To quote Pipe Stud, this, my friends, is tobacco (actually quoted from a different review).

Highly recommeded.

hagen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hagen (91)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

update: going through my reviews here, i find that i'll have to downgrade a good deal of the praise i've given so many blends. 4 stars should, i feel, be reserved for the blends i find truly exceptional. so, this is downgraded a bit. end update.

according to some of my fellow reviewers here on tr.com, limerick has a topping of sorts. i guess that's true, but it is quite limited compared to many other "irish" blends. what i notice is a plum flavour which reminds me very much of escudo. limerick is supposed to contain perique, but only in small quantities, so that can't be the culprit. so, it must be the topping. apart from that, it's a very gentle darkish brown, well aged semi-sweet virginia flake, clean-tasting (in spite of the topping), mild-medium, ideal for all day smoking. the flakes pack and light easily, and dgt'ing works fine.

it has at times a curious but very faint note which reminds me of the "soap" found in nearly all gawith, hoggarth etc-blends. nothing disturbing, though.

i really like it a lot, and will order some more for smoking as well as aging.

Clayman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Clayman (7)

Let me preface this by saying that I've only ever smoked this tobacco in a long German clay churchwarden, so my results may be a bit skewed from the norm.

That out of the way, I really like this blend. I don't know if it's the 18 inches of clay, but I get a very sweet and grassy taste off this blend. It has a relatively unremarkable room note (according to my wife, but then again, I torture her with black rope, so maybe she's just desensitized?) Unremarkable meaning, by the way, that it smells like tobacco (go figure.) It's just the way tobacco should smell (in my humble opinion) and it's the way a nice Virginia blend should taste.

Let it dry and give it a shot in a 'warden if you've got one. Relax with it, like an old friend, and it may soon become one. Not sure if you'd get the same out of a calabash, but since I don't own one, I leave that review up to someone else!

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

This is not a bad flake at all but it could use a little burley for more creamy character. Worths a try..

Slow Triathlete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Triathlete (48)

The review below is part of a VaPer Showdown that I conducted between several VaPer blends:

Well, after a couple of day?s absence, I?m ready to review another blend. This time it is the CAO/Dan Treasures of Ireland-Limerick blend. I also have the good news that the order that I placed with pipesandcigars.com is finally going to get here. Apparently they were waiting on the McConnell Scottish Cake to come in. With that said, I will now be able to review the McC 2015, H&H Anniversary Kake, and the McConnell Scottish Cake.

Right, now back to the Limerick blend. I have to say that this blend smelled better in the tin than any of the others so far. It has a very sweet Virginia smell and to tell you the truth, I didn?t really smell any Perique in there. This blend comes in flake form so I grabbed two flakes and rubbed them out to dry. I let this dry for about 2 hours as it is rather moist in the tin.

It packed decently even with the long flake strands in there. It was a little hard to light up but once it was lit it burned very well. I had mostly sweet Virginia tastes in the first part of the bowl but then the Perique kicked in a bit and stayed present for the rest of the bowl. It may have been that when I rubbed it out and packed the pipe I may have separated the tobaccos a bit. Either way, once it got started I knew that this was going to be a great blend! This blend is kind of in between Escudo and Dorchester as to the amount of Perique involved. It isn?t hidden in the background like Dorchester but it?s not really in your face like Escudo.

This was a well behaved blend and it didn?t require many relights. It burns down to a grayish-white ash that is very easy to tamp. It burns very cool and I never had any hint of bite from this blend. I have to admit that this blend didn?t wow me the first time that I smoked it. But after the first, it got better and better with each consecutive smoke. It took me a while to notice the subtleties of the different Virginias playing off of the Perique. It is medium in strength and can probably be smoked throughout the day.

All in all, I really liked this blend and will definitely buy more. This blend almost unseated Escudo as my favorite. Almost. I rank this one a solid second.

Here are the standings so far:

1) Escudo 2) Treasures of Ireland ? Limerick 3) Dorchester 4) Luxury Bullseye Flake 5) Kajun Kake

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

This is one of my go to summer blends, it is a fairly mild VA, that does have a very mild taste of Perique. I do like the spicy sour tin note. That taste continues throughout the bowl, at the top of the bowl you get bit of sweetness and some sort-of casing (very mild). As the bowl progresses the flavors do richen up a bit, but nothing too strong for an all day smoke. The tobacco burns to a very fine white ash weather you fold or rub it out, my preference is to fold you get a bit more subtleness that way.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Original review 1/23/2007:

One question please: is this really a Vaper blend ? I?m not accustomed to dark Virginias that much, but several things in this blend make me think there is Burley in it. I like to smell the tin aroma of bitter chocolate and raisins/figs, sour and pungent. I don't trace any superimposed topping while sure there is some casing. The flakes are soft and fibery, stuffing them into the pipe is children play and burn very well, leaving a light grey ash. But it's not so easy to reach the end, because the strength develops from medium to strong. It's good as after a dinner, better accompanied by a glass of white wine which helps to clean the palate. Not for an empty stomach nor for the beginner! The flavour is of dark tobacco, woodsy, musty and bittersweet, sometimes ashy and piquant. It easy becomes bitter if you sip fast. In no case it bites the tongue. It's an experience quite closer to smoking a Toscano cigar, which is notoriously made of Kentucky... To the nostrils: bitter chocolate, wood, some sweet/piquant notes. The room aroma is surely not a winner. Three stars for the quality of the leaves, two for the smoke. Nevertheless I'll revisit again, this is one of the few blends containing Perique I can find in Italy. Dreaming of C&D's!

Edit 7/18/2009:

two years and more after.

My opinion is not changing that much... just, I would reconsider my opinion regarding the possible presence of Burley. No, no Burley in here.

This is virginia processed in some particular way, a' la Dan, that makes it dark and with a deep woodsy/vinegarish aroma, due to a good help by the Perique. Some sweetness of the Va's shines only during the first third of the bowl.

Such a particular combination that makes me enjoy it just once in a while 'cause it's a bit strong for me. Nevertheless I will always keep a tin of it in my cabinet. Along with Killarney, Limerick is the only non-aromatic blend by TOI, and I consider both being nice blends.

gho Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gho (8)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

The physical appearance of this flake is excellent, a nice interplay of mostly dark-brown, black and some light brown sections. A bit raw and not overprocessed. The flake is covered with tiny little crystals and can be rubbed out to a thick, fibery structure, very unlike some other flakes I have tried, which crumble into small little pieces. Quality here.

The tin aroma is spicy-sour, probably due to the perique, which is very mildly noticeable throughout the smoke.

The burning behaviour is outstanding. Very dry and cool, with no tongue bite.

Taste-wise I like Limerick. A mild, flavouring agent, which I can't describe nearer, seems to be present. At first I found it a bit irritating, but after a few bowls, it's quite pleasent, defining very much the character of the flake.

A good all day smoke, due to it's mildness, taste and well-behavedness. Nothing too fancy, but not boring also. Decent.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Limerick is a blend from DAN

That comes in a 50 gram can

If you?re the kinda fellow,

That likes mild and mellow

Then get some of this while you can.

While this is not the best of limericks, the Limerick tobacco itself is much better. I was not initially impressed with the first few bowls but I did not rush to judgment. Subsequent bowls proved much better. This is one of those blends that grew on me. It is not overpowering nor overly complex. It was hard for me to detect the perique but there is an indescribable light topping that is reminiscent of the indescribable toppings that are present in some of the (Irish) Peterson blends. However, the topping in Limerick was not nearly as pronounced as it is in the Peterson blends. In short, Limerick simply satisfied my palate and provided a most enjoyable smoking experience. You don?t have to ask any more than this from any blend. Nice smoke!

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this blend 9.94 out of 10.

NapaWineLover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NapaWineLover (66)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

What a great Flake this is! The little bit of perique is not quite detectable to me as perique but performs some condimental magic along with the very light casing. While not complex, Limerick smokes cool and is very satisfying, never boring because its just real good. There is no harshness, no steamy heat or anything that slightly nips at your tongue. Which reminds me ... I'm almost out.

Cheers, VC

TheCornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheCornCob (2)

It takes a lot before lighting on, if you smoke it without rubbing out. But once lighted, it burns very easily. Perique taste is well defined resulting in pleasant mild wood aroma. I suggest to air it for a hour before trying. A must for VA/Perique lovers!

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I do not love VA-Perique blends, but this one is one of the most tolerable I have tried. Its great goal is how it burns: I've never seen a flake burning so easy and even, almost like a fine-cut mixture, indeed I used it to run in a pipe and worked great. The Perique is not in a great amount and the Virginias are of good quality. Definitely not for the pipe gourmet, but it can be used by the newcomers as an introduction to flakes with fine results.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Appearance: Small, thin flakes of mostly medium orange-red with flashes of lighter and darker leaf evident.

Aroma: Very rich, well matured Virginia aroma.

Packing: The flakes are thin enough to roll and fold into any normal sized pipe (group 3 and up) for a slow smoke. They can be rubbed out fully, but this leaves a rather fine cut to deal with.

Lighting: Typical two match light if you rub out a little for the top. Otherwise it make take three before you get a good even burn.

Initial flavor: Superbly rich Virginia flavor, mostly middle notes with some low notes and an occasional high note. A slight peppery flavor with a hint of stewed fruit tells me there is Perique in the blend. There is some strength here, but not overpowering.

Mid-bowl: Burns cool and dry if you pace yourself, but can get hot if over-puffed. Flavor remains rich and mouth filling, with some interplay of the different Virginias. The Perique doesn?t dominate the blend, but would be missed if it weren?t there.

Finish: No perceptible change right to the bottom. No gunk, just pale ash.

Summary: This one hits the long ball for me. This is an excellent afternoon or evening smoke, maybe even an eye opener with a cup of full-bodied coffee. I wish DAN put it up in 8 oz. bags.

09-22-04

Appearance and Tin Aroma: Nice Flakes, nice VA hay with a fig-like aroma too.

Packing and Lighting: This blend is not sensitive whether you rub out or stuff. Lights easily.

Initial Flavor: An OK VA flavor, that is nothing special, but nothing harsh either.

Mid-Bowl: Nice round and sweet flavor, Perique is at just the right level for me, didn't trigger my allergies.

Bottom of Bowl: Slight build up of strength, just a little spiciness from the Perique. Burns to a white dry ash.

Overall: This is just a good middle of the road VA/Perique blend. Since I am primarily a Balkan/English smoker, there was nothing really here to keep me coming back. I finished my tin, but I wont be buying anymore. I wouldn't turn it down if offered to me though. As with all flakes, it must be smoked with respect, or you will get tongue bite.

Rating: 3 out of 5 points.

Medium to Strong Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

A soft and easy to rub out flake, very honey-smelling in the tin. Initially dry like a dry martini, then some dark sweetish-honeyish notes which are very nauseating,. Not too strong, but often boring and uninteresting, and headache inducing. Do you know Hamborger Veermaster? Ok, then you have an idea of how this tobacco looks like: the difference lies in the taste, which is drier and grassier, not as sweet. If there is Perique, you can barely feel it. Some friends love this tobacco... I really can't get it, and it irritates me!

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)

The tin of Limerick that I tried had about 8 months of age on it.

For the first 1/4th of the bowl, I would swear that there is a light topping, but so delicate as to defy identification. It crept in from time to time during the smoke, but always as a hint. Light enough to make you wonder if it is really there.

The Perique is mild, and the Va leaf seems to be of good quality. If I was out of Escudo, I could use Limerick to get me by.

While not a heavy hitter in the nicotine department, it?s no weakling. Overall, a pleasant smoke.

I have nothing bad to say about this blend, but it won't replace my current Va/Per go-to blend.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This flake tobacco is cool burning, dark colored and approachable. It comes pretty much at the right humidification.

One whole flake folded and placed into a group 4 size pipe lasts nearly an hour for me. Once I can get it lit, it requires few relights.

TIL really hits no high notes, but does have somewhat of a deep, earthy and cocoa profile (stove Virginias?). It certainly has more complexity and a rounder flavor than the current Escudo (which is heinous in my opinion). Solani 633 does what TIL does in richness, but 633 sings a little higher, sweeter and includes more voices.

If I want to smoke a Virginia/Perique blend in mixed company, this is usually a crowd pleaser. It is rather expensive in the USA, as are all the CAO/Dan offerings I have purchased. It is worth a serious try.

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)

Let me first say that I love flake style tobaccos. This is well blended and is of high quality leaf. The one thing that puts me off about this blend is there is a casing which I particulary did not care for. I may eventually try this one again and see if My opinion has changed. Even though I did not care for the casing on this I would still highly recommend this to virginia and perique lovers to try.

Update 4-14-11: Well, I have revisited this blend and all I can say is either they changed the topping and added less of it or my tastes have changed. The topping is light and has a very mild Lakeland-esque flavor to it. It only pops its head up aver so slightly and I now find it quite enjoyable. I am now cellering up on this because I enjoy it that much. 3 1/2 stars!

Willy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Willy (75)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Having smoked this tabac in the recent past and again over the past coupla weeks, I gotta go along with Johnnyflake and Pipestud on this one. What a pleasant smoke this is, to be sure. Nice tin aroma that reminds me of stewed fruit, rubs out easily, lights easily, nice VA. flavor w/hints of spicey notes along the way, wee bit of tingle at first but mellows out quickly, burns well to fluffy grey ash, leaves the pipe clean and dry, only used one cleaner about 1/2 way down the bowl....jeez, how much more can one ask for? Not a lot of bottom w/this, mostly mid and high notes, but nearing the end of the bowl the flavor becomes a bit more rich and/or intense. That wee bit o' Perique is just enough to do the trick. Some may feel Limerick is a bit plain but there are taste variations that keep the smoke lively and interesting. As I've said before, sometimes simple is best, but this is notches above simple to be sure. I'm erring on the caution-side w/the flavoring because I've seen nothing in print to indicate a flavoring was used. Mind you, that in no way means that there wasn't any flavoring used, perhaps there was and it's very light, but for me, I'll choose to believe that the aroma and/or taste is just good ol' VA fermentation at work. Very tasty stuff and I'll keep some around. Having been gifted w/a 1-2 yr. old 5-pack of this tabac gives me a good start. Could turn out to be one of the favorites. Works for me.

JohnnyFlake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyFlake (17)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I received a package from my son, who still lives in Illinois, in which there were a few tins of some of the tobaccos I had stored when I was living there. One of the tins was a tin of Dan Tobacco - Treasure of Ireland - Limerick, which is identified as a Virginia Flake. I had dated this tin 4/99, so it's been sitting for at least four years. Upon openning the tin I was greeted with a sweet chocolate and appricot aroma, just like chocolate covered apricots or maybe cheeries. Anyway, I've never smelled a tobacco quite like it. It's a very dark brown flake, perfect moisture and it rubs out easily. Once lit the chocolate aroma is not carried through into the flavor but the flavor is very deep, rich, smooth and semi-sweet. I'm not sure if there is a topping or not but I suspect that there maybe, thus the chocolate aroma. I have smoked several bowls of this as of this writing. I do not find this tobacoo to be very complex but it does offer several nuances in the semi-sweet to sweet range and it's very consistent, rich in flavor and very smooth. I tend to smoke on the fast side and did not have any problems with tounge bite. I've never smoke this blend out of a fresh tin so I cannot compare such an experience to this four year old tin, but there is no doubt that cellering has made this blend a winner. I will probably buy a ew tins and simply celler it for a few years or more before smoking it! I'd like to hear from others who may have tried this blend.

JohnnyFlake

This, my friends, is a very nicely put together tobacco blend. The virginia leaf, after a good rubbing out, is exquisite! The burn is quite cool too, thanks no doubt to the delicate sprinkling of perique. There is a bit of some sort of topping that has been added, and it enhances the flavor further.

I can see where the novice might puff this tobacco up into the hot zone...but those veterans who have had time to develop an experienced puffing cadence will find the complexity of flavors to be palate pleasing.

So, if you appreciate a good Virginia flake with lots of flavor and a cool smoke, grab a tin of this stuff. If, on the other hand, you have not yet learned how to handle flakes, get a tin and cellar it until you both mature a bit more :)

Dwise Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dwise (25)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Nice-looking wide flake, typically British, rubs out like a dream, packs just fine...nice aroma, too...

The light: Hmm, slightly sweet. Not what I was expecting. But tasty...could be in for a good smoke...

About a minute in...wha'happen to the sweetness? It's not totally gone, but it's been overwhlemed by the dry, hot, harshness of the smoke...

Ten minutes in: What _is_ this taste, anyway? And why would anybody find it pleasurable? It's putting me in a bad mood...what is it?

Fifteen minutes in: So harsh...so rough...this is -- yes! -- this is just like smoking a _cigar_! And not even a particularly good cigar at that!

Several bowls in several pipes reveal the same thing over and over again: sweet...then harsh. You can smoke Limerick if you like it, or you can save yourself 10 bucks and just crumble a Swisher's Sweet into your pipe bowl.

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

If Limerick is the best of the line as indicated by pokrsmokr, then he saved me the time and expense of trying the others. A nicely prepared, high quality flake that packs easily and burns evenly. However, the taste lacks even a hint of the natural VA sweetness that I favor, is one dimensional and is very dry. I think this is from the processing as I really didn't sense the Perique. Not my idea of a treasure.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)

"Virginia aus sonnenreichen Regionen zusammen mit 5% Périque gepreßt, und unter sanften Druck nachgereift. Ein wunderbar weicher, dunklerer Flake mit harmonisher Süße, gleichmäßig im Abbrand, und kühl im Rauch".

That is how Dan's famous catalogue describes Limerick: "Virginia from sunbathed regions, pressed with 5% Périque,and matured under a gentle pressure. A wonderfully mild, dark flake of well-balanced sweetness, even-burning and cool-smoking".

When reviewing Pease's Cairo I wrote that I did not know anything else quite like it. Well, here is something a lot like it, except that Cairo is considerably livelier and brisker, with the Périque providing a real razzledazzle; one can barely taste it here.

One of the reasons why I seldom describe a tobacco in the tin is that its appeareance tells one very little about what it is going to taste like. Cairo is as golden as a mixture can be; Limerick is as dark as any mature flake; yet, they taste alike. Go figure.

Whatever has been done to the Virginias in these mixtures, they are not sweet. Not in the sugar sense of sweet, anyway. The taste is dry and herbal, almost like burley, but not dusty-tasting. Cairo has a better finish; the Orientals lend it a wonderfully cultured texture. Limerick is almost as flinty as a Latakia mix, except that it is lacking the deep richness of Latakia. Its note is rather top-heavy, more tenor than baritone. But austere. I really prefer a Latakia mix in this flavour mood: this is either too light or not light enough. And, for a long flake bowlful, rather monotonous.

Nevertheless, if you dislike sugary tastes, if you prefer your gin neat and your coffee black, if you like the taste of lapsang sou-tchong tea, you might enjoy it. And it really does burn cool and dry.

Paul Tatum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paul Tatum (86)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

A well put together blend . The tin aroma is a little off putting to me as it smells like chocolate covered cherries , but once lit this pretty much goes away . The tobacco flakes easily and packs well in the bowl . It's easy to light and it burns evenly . A little care needs to ba taken to keep it cool , but otherwise it is a smoker friendly tobacco . It is a nice middle of the road light blend that is a good change of pace for me from latakia blends .

pokrsmokr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pokrsmokr (32)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Limerick is by far the best of the Treasure's Of Ireland line by dan Tobacco. It is a very attractive brown flake which rubs out very easily and very well too. I prefer to smoke it rolled sausage style. The tin aroma is rather rich -though not as pungent as many of the other VA/Perique blends. There is substantially less perique in Limerick than sya 3 nuns or Escudo though it's presence is noticable just the same. This is a very cool burning tobacco considering it's ingredients. Because the conseravtive use of perique, the natural sweetness of the Virginias really stand out, but there is just enough spice to keep things interesting. It is also fairly complex and finishes very nicely, to a wonderful whitish/grey ash. I would highly recommend this to anyone who likes Virginias or VA/Perique blends.