This easy smoking tobacco blended from top quality Virginia leaf affords the smoker a smooth cool tobacco with added Banana flavour.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
FlavoringFruit / Citrus
2.5
meerkat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerkat (64)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Gawith, Hoggarth produce a small range of excellent quality shag tobacccos (Kendal Kentucky, Dark Birdseye, Kendal Dark, Kendal Mixed & Kendal Light (also called Kendal Gold)). The Dark, Mixed and Light are also available with a huge range of added flavours which I intend to work my way through over the coming months.

Banana up first and it's an odd one...

First of all, the quality of the leaf is above reproach, although the taste of the unflavoured gold is a bit flat for my preferences this seems to make it well suited to working with added flavours.

The added flavour here is very natural so look elsewhere for banana candy tobacco. The strange thing is that the taste they have given it isn't of the flesh of a banana but the dry tasting pith that you find between the skin and the meat. It really is an excellent and exact representation of it but when I want a banana I eat the meat not the pith... (You could say the flavour takes the pith!!!! Sorry...).

As with all shag cuts packing in stages with more than usual firmness gives an effort free and long lasting smoke. Overall this is a good tobacco with many perfect smoking qualities and as for the taste; it's not horrible but you really have to be ok with it because it is constantly very present in the smoke.

It's odd but not bad. I can't see myself buying it again though.

who broke my clay pipe? Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
who broke my clay pipe? (45)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Wow is all i can say.

I have bought a few loose tobacco's to jar lately to build up my tobacco library/bar.

I was intrigued by the excellent review below and knew this was going to be one i had to try. It totally delivered according to how my minds eye(or minds palette)imagined this would taste.

Made by gawith and hoggarth a brand i totally trust from smoking some of their really strong and potent offerings,this is quality as well but with the taste on the other easy end of the taste spectrum.

I consider myself a serious non aromatic smoker for the main, but i do make a few exceptions sometimes and have a few aro's on hand for when the aromatic urge strikes.

The appearance and handling of this reveals a quality product. A totally yellow golden blond shag of thin ribbons,fluffy,moist and pliant but not sticky and with a realistic genuine freshly peeled ripe banana aroma.

Lighting is easy and produces a naturally tasting toasting sucrose sweetness on the tongue. The taste stays consistant down the bowl as well as the cool smoking properties and clean and no dottle nature.

I smoked this in an unknown brand vintage butterscotch stem and brown bowl bakelite nosewarmer(WDC pipe?)

Such an honest well behaved tobacco.This is the bright unspoiled virginia i have been seeking but have only tasted so far in small amounts in other mixtures. The tobacco has a golden cornflake/cornflour golden virginia purity like nectar. The added banana essence adds to this yellow experience,to produce a combined taste that makes the banana seem a part of the tobacco or the tobacco a part of the banana.

The room note is fantastic and just like the taste,also when i leave the room and re-enter the smoke has no rotten sweaty leather shoe factor or any cigarette-ish eye stinging properties that other blends can produce.

Easy on the eyes,nose ,tongue and ears(you won't get negative comments except from anti tobacco health freaks).

The room note is akin to a banana fritter(banana in a deep fried batter). Hard to say if its a casing or a topping because it burns so clean i am inclined to think its a topping essence.

Even without the banana factor you still have a really good basic tobacco underneath.

This is pure virginia which tastes in my imagination as the archetype of natural tobacco itself(mother tobacco). All my other tobacco's seem fortified and processed which although interesting smokes, i have wanted to taste the quintessential example of a non mixture,non processed,elaborately cured,pure virgin pipe tobacco that you would taste if you grew your own and pulled a fell leaves to dry and tried it in your pipe.

This should of been my first pipe tobacco i feel,and its also a pleasant choice for experienced smokers like myself who like the look of aromatics but who have had bitter taste experience with them.

I totally like this simple tobacco and the banana topping creats a nice fruit overtone to the golden buttery virginia. This isn't a smoke thats going to offer much to smokers seeking a moody visionary experience.This is the rising sun and glowing warming rays of spring and youth.

For myself or any curious visitor who wants to try a first blast on a pipe,i totally recommend this because it tastes true. No tongue bite,bitterness or soap,and what micro amount there is of soap there is (if any)is more like a gentle sweet baby shampoo.

I have a use for this tobacco in my rotation for certain and will keep a jar on hand.

Three stars for being the aromatic that i wish other 'aromatics' should of been.

I may try some of the others in the range actually(some medium and darker tobacco's),but i feel i will just keep to this banana and bright virginia combination because i don't want too many aromatics with exactly the same tobacco base incase i get bored,but as this is,it offers something very unique to assert its own persona amongst my other heavier company.