Kramer's Extra Smooth, a special, balanced combination of cavendishes and Virginia tobaccos, is ideal for a gentle, smooth smoke — and has been enjoyed by Corey Allen, Jesse Lasky, Jr. and Aaron Spelling, to name a few.

BrandKramer's Pipe and Tobacco Shop
Blend TypeVirginia Based
ContentsCavendish, Virginia
Packaging2 ounce tin
Strength
Taste
2.5
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A touch of honey and sugar bread from the cavendish, and some citrus and grass from the Virginias are joined by a topping of some kind to create a smooth and moderate burning mixture with a consistent flavor, and no bite. There's a bare touch of earthiness from the dark Virginia for balance. Has a mild nic-hit. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires few relights. Not a complex mixture by any means, but it's a pleasing all day smoke. I don't know why it's labeled as being extra mild, because it's got a little more strength than that. It also sports a very pleasant after taste and room note.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

There's something about this blend that makes me keep coming back to it. There's nothing amazing about its taste or aroma, and it's not really complex in any way. But there's something comforting about its incredible consistency.

A straight virginia with some unsweetened cavendish, Extra Mild has a nice, straightforward taste and aroma that resembles a good cigarette (similar to some C&D virginia blends). I've been smoking it nearly every day for the past couple of weeks, and have found it to be a nice, reliable smoke.

The complaint I have about all Kramer blends is the terrible bit I get. I've been smoking on and off for several years and don't have problems with too many blends (I even do okay with some of the Mac Barens), but these really bother my tongue. It's a shame because I think I could really settle in for this blend on a regular basis.

Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Kramer's - Extra Smooth.

Note: from bulk.

Quite a coarse cut blend, there's a few twigs, it's constructed of black, brown, and yellow pieces, and my bulk pouch's moisture's good.

The overriding tobacco taste is doughy and pleasant, with a slightly nutty quality to begin with. There's a notable casing, being sweet and not too sticky. Although it contains black Cavendish I'm not swamped with vanilla, it gives the smoke a thicker consistency, and just a nudge of flavour. My biggest gripe with this is the burn, it's too fast and too warm.

Nicotine: mild to medium. Room-note: tolerable.

I don't loathe this, nor do I love it. Two stars:

Somewhat recommended.

Pipe Used: Caminetto

Old Codger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Codger (8)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I like it but will only give it two stars do to TWIGS Now Kramer's Father Dempsey had none in my tins so I'm comparing with that. Extra Smooth has a nice nutty flavor with that it's almost hard to describe other flavors. It does burn hot even with dipping the pipe. I may buy again after these two tins are gone then again I may not.

Pipe Used: Savinelli