A classic dark, rich matured Virginia flake made from mellow premium orange and red Virginias seasoned with the finest St. James Parish Perique

BrandNording
Taste
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable
bob323 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bob323 (44)

Not having smoked a blend with perique I was perhaps a bit anxious and leery about this blend. I must confess that the only reason for trying this was that for years I raised beagles and figured what the hell I love the breed so the blend must be good. Opened the tin and was met by a strong vinagery aroma...must be the perique...a little off putting. Packed well, lit well and God, I was in heaven. Surprisingly the smoke tasted of green olives...not a bad thing...love green olives. I wouldn't call this an everyday smoke, but it does well when layered or mixed with your regular blends. By itself I would call it a very good change of pace smoke. Rating is 3 stars only because I can't see smoking this daily by itself.

5/15/13...have become a Perique junkie...God, help me...Has made it into my daily rotation and deserves an unqualified 4 stars.

halpuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
halpuff (9)

Too bad only four stars are available to rate this incredible VaPer blend. I absolutely love this stuff. I'm not really a fan of Perique but I find its presence in only the first quarter to one third of the bowl or so and nearly non- existent thereafter. After the presence of perique burns off you are left with nothing but smooth and creamy sweet Virginia for the rest of the experience burning down to a fine gray ash. I discovered Beagle when a trader friend tossed some in as an extra sample for a try. Wow!, was I glad he did. I immediately sent off for a tin. Before Beagle came along I had tried some Va/Per's but was not impressed at all. With some the perique presence nearly ripped my sinuses out of my head and others had something going on with the Virginia that created some terrible stuff. Beagle is truly a Va/Per masterpiece.

RupturedDuck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RupturedDuck (6)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Unnoticeable

The tobacco arrives as a broken flake, and not as wet as some flakes can be. It is broken to the point that makes additional rubbing out unnecessary. I usually smoke this directly from the tin without drying, gravity filling the pipe with just a little compacting with my pipe tool. The tobacco will expand during combustion, so I'm careful not to pack too tightly.

The tin aroma is a slightly sweet hay, and a hint of that sweetness is carried into the burn. I cannot pick out the spiciness of the perique as this is a smooth and mild smoke. The tobacco is easy to light for a broken flake and burns completely, with minimal condensation and absolutely no tongue bite.

It is a quality leaf, but the flavor profile is a little boring for my abused palate. I enjoy it to absently puff upon while my mind is otherwise occupied, however it is not a tobacco that I find myself craving.

The tobacco was in very broken flake form, but perhaps that was just this tin. A very straight forward VaPer, the Virginias were darker than I expected, so for me this would have been better as an autumn smoke than a summer one. The Perique was far from overpowering, but provided a very nice structure for the Virginias. VaPer fans, and those who like Va's on the slightly darker side would likely enjoy this.

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (49)

I do believe that this is the same blend from McClelland... Bulk No.2015 Virginia Flake. Can anybody confirm or deny? :)

They both look identical. Smell identical and smoke the same. Wonderful VaPer blend. See my review of McClelland Bulk No.2015 Virginia Flake to see my comments. Sweet, rich, pleasant... Good stuff!

Nicely prepared pressed flake with yellow to dark brown strains from McClelland made for Arango Cigar in IL. Ideal moisture content straight from the tin that I just packed without rubout. Also lacked the intense ketchup aroma that I dislike of some other McClelland blends although it's there to some degree. Cool, even smoke in all sized bowls without the need for relights. Nice balance between the VAs and Perique resulted in an enjoyable smoke.