Paul Revere s famous midnight ride is commemorated in this luxurious blend. Virginia grades from three of the finest growing regions are combined with Oriental tobacco, Cyprian Latakia, and a touch of Perique. A relaxing, cool, and medium bodied smoke perfect for quiet, reflective moments.

Notes: Previously released as CAO Midnight Ride

BrandDan Tobacco
Blended ByDan Tobacco
ContentsOriental/Turkish, Virginia, Perique, Latakia
Strength
Taste
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a spicy little bugger. Starts smoky, sour and sweet, and spicy. Ends about the same, but with more intensity in the sweetness and spiciness. A lovely smoke. Medium bodied and full in flavor. A real treat.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman, MM Freehand

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (59)

The tin is just about 1 yr. old. I have to say that I was rather impressed. A very nice change of pace from by usual straight VA's, burley's and Lat. blends. This has Lat. but it is not a Lat. bomb. Rather the Lat. and Orientals balance out with the Orientals leading the way just a little. The VA's are soft and just a little sweet, which is nice as the Orientals add that great bitter finish so the sweet and bitter play with each other throughout the bowl. The perique is noticeable but only so. It provides a nice bit of spice that moves forward sometimes and at others stays in the background but is always present. This one is not one for thinking. I needed to concentrate on the blend to pick up all the flavors. I will be picking some up for cellaring.

Age When Smoked: Tin was 1 yr old

panduji68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
panduji68 (24)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I must say that this is a really really good tobacco. The Latakia and Orientals are in just the right proportion and shine at the beginning of the bowl, then fade to the background as the slightly sweet Virginia leaf makes an appearance tapered by the spicy Perique. The last third of the bowl is an absolutely glorious symphony on the palate. So many instruments playing their part, yet blending together so smoothly as to be almost inseparable and melded.

This is a multi-dimensional treat that I intend to savor on occasion, as I would not want to belittle it's character by being a glutton and making it an every day smoke.

Highly recommended this!!!

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The first time I had a hoppy beer many, many moons ago, it tasted very bitter to my senses. But I couldn't stop drinking it. It grows on you. Now I'm a certified hop head, and the higher the IBUs the better. That is, of course, if it also tastes good. I don't want bitter for the sake of bitter. It's like hot sauces: I like 'em hot, but not just for the sake of hot. They gotta taste good too!

So a few days ago I cracked this tin of Midnight Ride (Dan Tobacco version - no idea if this is the same as the CAO version) and...it was bitter!

But I think I really like this stuff. At the first couple draws I was a bit disappointed, probably because my expectations were set for something different, i.e., just another interesting English blend. But this stuff has some real character once you start paying attention to it.

The smoke seems quite astringent to me. Reluctant to give up its goods. It's got a very earthy kind of smoke, not rich like campfire smoke but strong and austere. Kind of old school. Although discernable, there is precious little VA sweetness. It is quite unlike many other English blends in that it's more "spicy" than "rich." Which makes it a very welcome change when one is in the mood for a change-up.

Consistent from pipe to pipe, and with that trademark sour smell upon opening which I believe portends a significant Oriental-forward experience.

Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Dan Tobacco probably aimed at Dunhill's EMP and Nightcap with this one. To cut a long story short: they scored a direct hit.

The tin aroma is what is to be expected from a full English: Latakia, Oriental, VA -- with the VA in the background. The leaf is a ribbon cut, with almost equal parts of bright, brown and black tobacco. Easy to stuff, light and maintain.

Lighting up, I astonishingly do not get an overload of Latakia, but complex variations on the themes of Orientals and VA sweetness -- the Latakia being quite noticeable, though, adding spice and smokiness. The room note is as would be expected, but due to the high proportion of Orientals seems to be acceptable for most people.

In the overall mix, the taste is engaging (to me, anyway); smoky, sweet, savoury; something to relax with and enjoy. Over the pipeful, some toast develops and the VA sweetness diminishes a little.

What can I say? Top notch leaf. English and Balkan lovers, I strongly recommend.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

Frankly I expected more from this tobacco, at least after reading the enthusiastic reviews here. Old Ironsides is a favorite of mine, but this other CAO offering suits my taste a bit less... It is a good tobacco, but it's not my favorite kind. The tin aroma is very pungent and spicy: lots of red/brownish leaves, and a good dose of black ones (latakia and perique). The cut is rather rough, not as even and fine as in Dunhill's blends. The smoke has a very distinct flavour, just as spicy and pungent as the tin aroma: the problem with me is that while it is pungent, in contrast it sometimes lacks in fullness. A big first moment impact, but then little "meat"... In a similar vein, I prefer Dunhill's Standard Mixture Medium: sweeter and much more balanced, probably due to a stronger Virginia presence in comparison to Midnight Ride. I don't mean that I don't like MR, but it doesn't end up as one of the tobaccos that I'd choose blindly any time for a completely satisfying smoke: I still prefer straight Virginias (especially in flake form) and high-Latakia English mixtures. Anyway, after almost finishing the tin, I must say that it is slowly growing on me (or maybe having left the tin open for a while improved its qualities), especially because of the very pleasant nutty taste, but just falls a bit short of the mark. To end the review, a note on the burning qualities: perfect. Midnight Ride leaves one of the cleanest, driest and whitest ashes I have ever witnessed! This as a consequence of a very cool and dry smoke: a quality that must not be quickly dismissed.

PipePuffin'Finn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePuffin'Finn (2)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

Disclaimer: I am very much a novice piper still, so please take this review with a grain of salt.

i purchased a tin of Midnight Ride as an introduction to orientals, perique and latakia. I have only smoked Virginia/Black Cavendish/Burley blends before this.

Upon opening the tin it was immediately evident that this would be something completely different. Contrary to the rich, sweet and nutty flavours I was used to with the Danish-type blends, MR was not at all rich and sweet, but instead stingy, sour and pungent. I was drawn to this new aroma and kept sniffing the tin for five minutes, trying to figure out what I would be in for.

Upon lighting I was first greeted by a familiar Virginia sweetness, but almost instantly a completely new tingy, spicy, earthy pungency -- to the point of almost being acrid -- pushed through. I was surprised, as I instantly recognized the taste and scent:

When I served my time in the army nearly twenty years ago, we were sent to put out a ground fire in the forest. Upon arrival at the site, the acrid scent of burning moss was everywhere, as the wet, marshy ground slowly and smokily burned away. The scent was very strong, and the smell lingered in the forest as we kept watch through the night.

The strong, acrid smell and the experience of keeping watch in that dark forest has stuck with me through all this time, and this is where Midnight Ride instantly carried me back to.

Pipe Used: Butz-Choquin Manoir

Age When Smoked: 1 mo

Purchased From: Dan Tobacco, Germany

pipelovingcalvinist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipelovingcalvinist (68)

I think that quantumboy's review is spot on. Instead of the usual Guinness Stout like English this is indeed like a hoppy ale. Midnight Ride is currently pretty hard to find but if you can find a tin pick it up and give this tobacco a try.

Soli Deo gloria!

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

First let me say that my tin was purchased a week ago and is from Dan Tobacco with the orange stripe. I believe that many of the reviews posted under the CAO listing probably should be listed under this heading. I am very impressed with this tobacco, its quality, moisture content and taste. Some reviewers claim that this tobacco has no Latakia, well that is not my finding. As a matter of fact, this tin is a full latakia, in a good way. I do not taste the Virginia, or Perique but I do catch the slightest hint of vanilla,nice. The Orientals do get to play but always in the background to the Latakia. This one never bites and burns to a nice ash. I'm the type of smoker who has about ten tobaccos in play at any one time. I find myself grabbing MR, morning, noon and night over the others. One trait I find very unusual is that this tobacco leaves a "Bitter" not sweet after taste. This is not a burnt "Burley Bitter" but a satisfying Bitter. Sometimes you just don't want sweet, you want Brussel Sprouts, Expresso coffee or a Gin&Tonic. Bitter can be good. I find this tobacco similar to H&H's "Ten to Midnight" but more complex and slightly sweeter. A nice change to the rotation.

Update 11/17/11- I really expected with almost 9 months of cellaring, this would really be special, but that was not the case. The flavors became muted, Latakia has faded, oriental is hard to find and the sweetness from the Virginia isn't there. The only thing that has developed is maybe some spice that I don't need, not real smooth. I have to take this down one star, what a disapointment.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

EDIT:

Removed review, as I mis-clicked...original review was intended for "Midnight Smoke" by Altadis.

Fazby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fazby (37)

Will try this again, once I burn up some other tobacco...

This is a nice blend. My initial impression was Dunhill's Elizabethan, but with flavor.

Virginia with a few other additions to add some depth. English/Virginia smokers should enjoy this one.