A true aromatic Danish Blend of choice bright Virginia and flue-cured tobaccos flavored with a Cognac base, using the traditional Cavendish process.

Notes: Introduced Circa 1977

BrandTinder Box
FlavoringCognac
CountryUnknown
Strength
Taste
Very Pleasant, Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable
2.0

The flue cured Virginias are processed in the cavendish style, and provide a little honey, grass, and citrus along with a slight bread note. Their impact is dulled by the cognac, which has an unattractive sourness that translates to the after taste, and sports a slight bitterness. Has virtually no nicotine. Won't bite, but can warm the tongue. Burns at a moderate pace with a consistent flavor. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and needs an average number of relights. An all day smoke.

Oldharley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Oldharley (1)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Possibly JD has killed my taste buds over the years but I enjoy the taste and smell of Aalborg. Several years ago while attending a British motorcycle ralley in Hiawassee GA, a lovely young lady walking behind me asked "is it ok if I walk behind you all day, I love the smell of your pipe tobacco". My reply was she could follow me back to IL if she wanted.

Pipe Used: Corncob

Purchased From: Tinder Box

Similar Blends: .

Kribbage Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kribbage (31)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

A Tinder Box staple that actually works for me as a mixer. I think I have smoked straight Aalborg once, but have used it in a three equal parts mix of Skilling, Lamplighter, and Aalborg for years......more so when I was younger, but I still get a hankering for it.

jonnysmokestack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jonnysmokestack (1)
Medium Medium to Strong Very Full Pleasant

This tasted too much like a cigarette to me and disliked it. The small was great but the taste wasn't pleasant to me.

ArchtopBill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ArchtopBill (16)
Extremely Mild Very Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

I worked at a Tinder Box when this was originally introduced in the late 70's and Tinder Box International as well as the shop owner had high hopes for the stuff. The boss insisted all of us "enjoy" a couple ounces. At the time, my regular smoke was TBI's Philosopher that I beefed up with extra latakia, which was about as different from Aalborg as a tobacconist could get. (If the blend does not have latakia and/or perique, why smoke it?) I HATED it. It was essentially tasteless, bit like a snake and the bottom of the bowl would get as soggy as pond algae. Did I say I HATED it? I have no idea if TBI was able gain market share from the corner drug store with this stuff, but if you manage to come across any, do the pipe smoking universe a favor and dispose of it.

azguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
azguy (18)

Fond memories of this blend. Not your typical danish; less casing. Sweet but not cloying. The perfect blend when stuck in a town where a Tinderbox is the only store that sells a smokeable smoke.