An outstanding blend of sweet Virginia that is infused with Scottish Single Malt Whisky.

BrandThe Malthouse
Blended ByDan Tobacco
Strength
Taste

2.6
Uban Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uban (38)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I have had a lot of malt Scotch whiskys in my day, & I never smelled one like this! It reminds me of Jucyfruit more than anything else in the tin. The smoke, though pretty cool & light, smells like something else, not Scotch, but fruit IMHO. Very decent & light Va flavor, though the casing gets in the way. Very little to no bite. For an aro smoker as a transition to straight Vas, not a bad choice.

Pipe Used: Large Lane era Charatan bent billiard Gp 6

Purchased From: JB Hayes Tobacconist by a pal

Tuckers Gpa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tuckers Gpa (29)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Very mild, light tasting almost a sweet that tastes more like sugar than scotch. Pleasant to others, not overpowering, and easy to smoke. Tobacco quality is evident in the taste, and I could smoke this everyday. Compared to other scotch flavored smokes, this is a smaller taste and more of a VA type taste. I do enjoy this on warmer days, and it doesnt bite like some of my more aromatic blends do.

Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (85)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

With Founder Reserve at Dan Tobacco they pay homage to Whisky flavoured blends, but to be honest on a “blind test” I wouldn't be able to recognize the topping as Whisky! FR is flavourful and with a good tanginess (even too much) surrounded by an elusive sweetness not easy to describe (not for me at least), I've experienced just little tongue bites and no gurgles, it's quite easy to maintain at the right temperature and it leaves a pale grey almost impalpable ash. Definitely quality is there for sure but it doesn't completely fits my liking, perhaps I missed something but now I can rate it just two stars. I'll revisit it again.... one day.

Davetopay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davetopay (42)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

A 2 star blend at best. The cut was a bit thin for my taste, almost a shag that made me think of RYO ciggy tobacco. Kind of flat, slightly bitey, somewhat hot, and rather shallow blend. Not my thing at all.

Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I met a couple of forum members in an old pipe shop today and we spotted some older dust collecting tins sitting on the floor behind the couner. This was one of them and we split the contents of this aged tin. It had some age on it and the blend inside was on the dry side, but i like my tobacco that way and we fired some up. My first impression was Oh MY! What a flavor! Now i know this is aged but this suff knocked all three of us into the the bliss mode. The VA in this blend is very sweet and mellow and the scotch topping gives it a smoothness and a sweet note that was simply delicious. It is there but not cloying or overwhelming, still letting the VA do it's act. The smoke is fantastic smelling, even better than it's aroma in the tin. It burns down to a nice grey ash with minimal relites. I had a rather long drive home and smoked another bowl during the drive. I enjoyed it a second time and was just impressed and it had my car really smelling good. After arriving home and having had my sinner, I just smoked another bowl and it held it's own again, a very enjoyable blend. I will be cellaring some of this just as soon as i can place an order and I have to highly recommend one to try. While it may not be an all day blend, it is for sure a blend to enjoy with fellow pipers.

Tallman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tallman (35)

Nice, uncomplicated smoke. I'm a big Virginia fan, not a big Scotch fan, but this doesn't overwhelm at all with the topping. Easy to light and keep lit, puff slowly and no bite at all. Not one I currently smoke often, but a good change of pace!

Xweet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Xweet (1)
Mild Mild Full Pleasant

Personal favorite blend. Mild favoring, not to strong, not to weak. After smoking leave nice, almost white ash. Smoking is slowly and cold, teaste not change so from first to last we can enjoy great taste

vincenzo peruggia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vincenzo peruggia (13)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I must say I generally don't care for blenders tinkering with good virginia! I must say I have had the pleasure of having many superb blended and single malt whiskies and never any bad ones ;but I am not a scotch snob and think there are no truly bad scotches or whiskeys' only O.K to awesome! This tobbaco has done a real good job of mixing the two! I have tried many whisky/scotch blends and so far this one suits me best!I really get after it being a reformed cigarette fiend so I have to temper my vigor or the tounge will singe! I put it in a big bowl thick walled old hard castle from pappa d and try to take it slow! I haven't aged any yet' this can only get better ! Get some VINCENZO1

LearnedHandsome Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LearnedHandsome (10)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

Malthouse is presented well and looks like first class tobacco. The tin aroma is very nice, it has a tangy scent not particularly reminiscent of scotch. There are some broken flake pieces that need to be rubbed out to get some consistency, but it packs and lights easily once done. My tin was too moist and it did not burn well at first, but once dried out it burns well. The flavor is mild from the start and does not really change. I could not taste any scotch flavoring when I smoked malthouse but maybe it is there somewhere. It is not at all a bad tobacco, but it fails to achieve its goal: adding whisky flavor to good tobacco to make it even better. The tobacco does not have enough flavor to stand on its own and the flavoring is too light to improve the experience. In light of countless better options for a straightforward virginia, malthouse is not a very worthwhile smoke. Spot on is the fellow's suggestion to smoke an unflavored virginia and sip scotch on the side.

loosewatches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
loosewatches (108)

This is one of the few virginia blends availabe in my neck o' the woods that isn't cased to the gills. The casing itself is a little bit whiskyish but more along the lines of Dan tobacco's Daddy' favo(u)rite Baccy, which no one (except one other prolific reviewer and myself) has ever smoked. Malthouse has very little casing. The tobacco is high quality. If this didn't bite so much, I would smoke more of it. I have this problem with all of Dan's virginias. They bite. Otherwise, a good, cheap smoke. I say try it. If you like slightly cased blends with good tobacco taste, and if it doesn't bite you too much, you might just be in whisky virginia heaven.

Tiepolo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tiepolo (40)

Tin aged for 6 months, aired well before smoking. Had a little trouble rubbing this out correctly for loading, but was well worth the effort. I don't smoke aromatics but I always try them hoping to find one that tastes good and also pleases the crowd. I believe this one fits the description quite adequately. I could swear there is a slight pinch of Latakia in there too, but I guess that this is just a personal perception of the rendering of flavors. In any case, apart from VA smokers like me, it could be a blend worth trying by English smokers too. I think they could find a nice change of pace there.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Rubs out and packs easy, takes a few lights to get going but well worth the effort. Tasty, super smooth, mellow and of tangy red virginia. Wont goop the pipe and burns cool and even with no bite if sipped slowly.

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)

A very nice Red Virginia,dark,and flavoured with just a wee bit of single malt Scotch Whisky. Rubs out well,packs easy but will take a couple matches before lift off. The taste is M E L L O W red virginia tangy. The single malt plays in and out of the and slip stream smoke,and is heavenly. I think that single malt whisky and red virginia just may the perfect marriage in tobacco. It's good,it's really good and not to sweet,but just right.

Keep your stick on the ice.

SFC Psaki Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SFC Psaki (7)
Medium Mild Full Pleasant

Cut & Color: Red Ribbon Virginia, about 1.5" flakes Hand: Good mositure, not damp, rubs out easily Tin Aroma: Wonderful tangy smell of aged, pressed VA mixed with Scotch Pack: Easily rubbed out, fills nicely, springy. Holds a dense pack well, which I like for VAs.

Char: Like a lot of flakes, takes its time getting charred. I start it, tamp, and let it set for five minutes. First impression is sweet, with a tangy taste kind of like the lemon filling on a meringue pie. Sweet, tart, smoky, and, yes, a little peaty.

Main event: Relights and it is smooth, mouth-filling rich sweetness. It is pleasantly pungent throught the first third, but not overbearingly. The topping was applied with a judicious hand. The VAs are obviously high quality, and smoke like well-aged McClellands to me.

2/3: Flavors are still compelling, and getting richer and deeper as the tobacco stoves. Caramelization enriches this stuff a lot. Very high sugar content.

Bottom 1/3: Still going strong. A delightful smoke, with seriously rich flavor at the bottom. No ashy taste. Easy to control the temperature. No bite, and I'm sure the dryness and preparation contribute to this. The room note reminds me of gingerbread, spicy, sweet, a little tang to it. This is an excellent smoke.

Medium Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Who knows what kind of Scotch was used to flavor this... but it sure ain't a rare single malt! What a boring tobacco! It's not a sticky or sweet aromatic, it simply is watery and dull, very bland. It provokes some tonguebite, and even smoking slowly you can't either feel the whisky or a nice and rich virginia base. All is very subdued here, and at the end of the bowl you can even feel some unplesant off-notes.

I'd rather pick a nice unflavored Virginia with some real taste (like Marlin Flake) and a glass of Sprinbank than this unspectacular blend!

Bobbior5907 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bobbior5907 (24)

This is a high quality broken flake VA from Dan Pipe doused with Scotch whiskey. I believe the tobacco here would be too mild without the addition of the Scotch. Howver, the whiskey makes all the difference. I can't characterize this a true aromatic because the sweetness comes from the natural flavor of the VA but it and the aroma are only amplified by the Scotch. While you can taste the tang of the whiskey, it is low-key and doesn't overwhelm the tobacco. It burns well but is moist in the tin and doesn't seem to bite. I give it a grade of "B".

BriarNorth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarNorth (49)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I find I like a lot of the same weed as the Pipestud, so when I came across his review, I said hell what's another 20 bucks on the ol Visa bill anyway? Here we have one of those semi-rare instances where the name on the label actually corresponds with the smell in the tin AND the taste of the smoke--that is, this weed provides a nice, sweet whiskey flavor that complements the already sweet virginias but which doesn't have anything of the sprayed-on-goo dimension that I find unpleasant in most aromatic tobaccos. The moisture level out of the tin was perfect and packing was no problem as is. I smoked this in a deep Savinelli Extra lovat-looking thing that I keep for sweeties, and considering my enthusiastic puffing style, it smoked clean and quite cool. A good change of pace that smoked well at any time of the day--(except at night when I'm looking for something less perky). I loaded this when my tastebuds were stale and looking for a lift and it did the trick. Reach for this when your nicotine level is all squared away, as at first this did not deliver the fix fast enough for me and my tongue was not amused!

Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I don't enjoy Scotch malt whiskey or most aromatic tobaccos but tried this as a possible change of pace. If you favor either of these, you might enjoy this blend of nicely prepared golden to darker VAs. It packed well and smoked evenly and cool. However, the tin aroma and taste had just enough influence from the whiskey to bring back some bad memories of Scotch from my youth. When I find the aromatic blend that has been aged 12 weeks in VO instead, that might be my choice.

Just enough malt whiskey in this blend to improve on the staple virginia component. I know many smokers who like this blend as a nice change of pace. I do too. It smokes cool and dry, and will please both the aromatic and English fans as well as the guys who want a just plain tobacco taste with a solid dose of nicotine thrown in for good measure.

Try it, you'll like it!