A blend of bright and brown Virginia grades with
Latakia, matured under pressure in the Cavendish
style and blended with golden Virginia Broad
Cut.Slow burning with a cool and gentle smoke

BrandPetersen & Sorensen
Blended ByPlanta
ContentsCavendish, Virginia, Latakia
FlavoringAlcohol / Liquor, Other / Misc
Packaging50g tin, 200 g tin
Strength
None Detected, Mild to Medium
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Last time at DanPipe's shop, I noticed a tin of this lying around, and a friend who was along for the trip said he could imagine I'd like it. So... tin bought. Since then, tin empty, more ordered.

Opening the tin, the leaf is packaged in a plastic liner underneath a piece of cardboard; this is a packaging style that I know from Pöschl, but everybody seems to agree this is put together by Planta. Not going to speculate too much here. The leaf is an even mix of widely cut bright VA, some darker leaf, and Latakia. A little surprising, since most classical English Mixtures come in a medium ribbon. So, large pipes preferred. The tin note is clean (sorry, only word I can come up with to describe it...), with VA and Orientals noticeable, and the Latakia there, but in the background.

Stuffing, lighting and puffing is easy in a wide-bore pipe; in a medium-sized one, this stuff may actually burn hot if not carefully sipped. The taste is nicely sweet, with a good meatiness from the Latakia and a very nice note of black pepper, which I will attribute to the Orientals used. The taste gets a touch deeper, sweeter and more spicy throughout the bowl. The room note is dominated by the VAs, but also shows off the flowery Oriental notes; the Latakia is outvoted by them.

In the end, I do not need to relight; I have a small amount of bright-grey ashes left and no condensation. Beautiful blend for me; I would classify it as a classic English except for the cut, but that is a moot point. An excellent smoke for the larger bowls that I enjoy with a good ale or one of the peatier Single Malts.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

I opened this tobacco in April 2010. I kept it stored (do not know why;) since October 2008 when I bought it. Syrian Latakia and a pinch of Virginia. When I opened the tin for the first thing what struck my attention was the fact that for the first time I saw such coarse mixture that contained Latakia. The second thing was that I did not sense at all the characteristic aroma of Latakia. It is a little moist (do not think anything special) someone else they might consider this level perfect, but not me. Hardly fills the bowl and it is difficult to light. From the first 2-3 puffs I realized that this tobacco is flat, without something to grab my attention but the subtle flavor of latakia and also by the middle of the bowl and after there was absolutely nothing, neither taste nor aroma. Also left - though quite aged - too much moisture at the bottom of the bowl.