Selected matured Virginias aged for a long period under pressure. This blend offers a subtle aroma of honey and orange

Packaging50g/1.75 ozTin
None Detected, Very Mild, Mild
Unnoticeable, Pleasant, Tolerable
Big Train Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Train (42)

If you like F & T Vintage flake you will like this too . That is because , in my considered opinion , that is exactly what it is . Now this is a superb tobacco . What I do not understand is exactly why k & K needs to market the same 3 flakes under many different names . Not that it matters , the same excellent quality for the same price . And I was thinking , when I ordered it , that I was going to discover something new .

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Being a fan of much of what Sillim’s has to offer, 1814 somehow slipped under my radar. Buying three tins late in 2010, tossing them in the cellar and then somehow forgetting about them, I finally opened one a couple of days ago. In the tin, the appearance of it reminds me of one of my all-time favorite aged VaPer’s, Solani Virginia Flake 633. However, it’s not really in the same ballpark. The golden colored flakes appear to be of high quality and the tin scent, even with slightly more than five years of age, offer more of a grass/hay scent than other similar aged flakes. The subtle sweetness seems to be of a topping more along with the hay. This holds true in the pipe as well. I choose to partially rub them out with a medium pack for my best result. The citrus topping, leaning more toward orange (although I wouldn’t call it straight orange flavor) add to the mainly high notes of a brighter Virginia. As a reference point, I wouldn’t say that the topping is as heavy in flavor as Orlik Golden Slices. It smokes sweet with little to no complexity, but I find it enjoyable just the same. There is no bite although I wouldn’t push it. I enjoyed this flake, although I have the same issue with this as I do with Golden Slices in that when aged, the added amount of flavoring makes the flake a tad bit too sweet (and I like sweet!) to be an everyday smoke for me. I do wish I had cellared a few more tins just the same.

½ bowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
½ bowl (66)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Unnoticeable

Two stacks of neatly manicured flakes greet the nose with a bouquet typical of fermented, grassy Virginias; but Mayor 1814 smells a bit sweeter and more raisin-like than most, and that translates faithfully into the smoke stream as well. There is the merest suggestion of pungency in the background, but it’s more of an impression than a sensation.

Mayor 1814 is outstanding for the clarity and brilliance of its flavors – a truly harmonious mix that is softly grassy, but not particularly sharp; wine-like, if slightly citrus; and as sweet as honey. The flavor matrix holds together from start to finish, with perhaps a slight deepening of the sweetness. It delivers a medium-full Va. flavor with great body, good volume, medium strength, and luxurious full mouth feel.

It smokes coolly, dryly, and bite free whether folded and stuffed, or rubbed out. Nicotine level is medium; and there are no rough edges, which makes it ideal for breath-sipping, and a joy to channel from mouth to nose and back. In short, there is very little to criticize here: it lights and burns well, whether folded or rubbed; it performs nicely in both wide and narrow tobacco chambers – deep or shallow; and it always smokes to the very bottom of the bowl, where an amazingly small amount of ash is scant evidence of the 45 minute ecstasy that produced it.

This is a very tasty and well behaved Va. flake at a best buy price – which is unusual for a tinned tobacco of this caliber.

doc pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
doc pipes (17)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

These neatly cut flakes smell sweet and only vaguely orange-like. They are mostly bronze colored Virginia with a few punctuations of bright and near black (perhaps Cavendish?). Taste is fairly mild run of the mill Virginia with some nice earthy undertones of hay and light spicy orange. Yep, I will not be spending money on this one again.

Pipe Used: numerous

Purchased From: iwan ries

Trippwire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Trippwire (58)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

Big, wide, pale flakes, stacked neatly in the tin. First few smokes had a distinct citrus tang about them, I didn't really like it. I smoked this over a few weeks, mainly in an ozark mountain hardwood pipe and found it to be a sorta cigarette replacement. It tastes like a ciggie, the nicotine is in there but not massive amounts, just pleasant. A few inhales throughout the smoke goes well if you're into that sort of thing.

This is not the best Va flake by a long shot, fresh out of the tin, I thought it was a dud. Dried out (in the tin) it's pretty good, but not earth shattering. Recommended for people wanting to come off cigarettes.

I will not be buying this again, my money will go on dunhill flake.

Wood Chuck Gardner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wood Chuck Gardner (6)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Unnoticeable

This is a very nicely presented flake.

It smokes evenly and smoothly from top to bottom.

Overall a pleasant biteless and bland Va flake. Like a very good Cigarette. This would be a fine flake for the beginning pipe smoker.

Setting: Driving the car and running errands.

SmokeQuest Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeQuest (10)

This is a very nice tobacco, mild but full of flavor, it burns amazingly cool and has a very nice natural sweetness to it. The flavor and quality of this tobacco reminds me of old Murray's era “Dunhill Light Flake” which I smoked exclusively for many years.