A full-bodied traditional flake tobacco prepared from selected Virginia leaf with a high content of natural sweetness. A pinch of Louisiana perique is added to increase the richness in taste. Gently matured to bring out its optimum of natural tobacco flavours. Slow burning in your pipe this tobacco provides a pleasantly cool smoke of full bodied sweet taste with gentle spice in the background.

BrandDan Tobacco
Blended ByDan Tobacco
Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
ContentsPerique, Virginia
Packaging50 grams tin, 250 grams bulk
Strength
Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium, Medium to Strong
Taste
DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (136)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

When my order from Dan Pipe arrived a few minutes ago, I was already very excited to try Peterson's Irish Flake, which was part of that order. But as I sticked my nose into one of the three samples that came with my order I had to put the Irish Flake aside for later.

As I haven't got a tin of it, I can only tell about the "plastic-bag-note". Kriswill's Medium Navy Cut (Blue) exudes a seductive scent of orangy, sweetish fruits. Aromas of figs, lemons, oranges and a hint of hay. Incredible - this must be the most seductively smelling tobacco I've had up to this point. The smell is so appetizing and beguiling, that I had to try this instantly. My girlfirend (who doensn't smoke the pipe) commented on the smell: "mhhhhhh.....FRUITY!"

As Dan Pipe ships samples of flakes as broken flakes I can't comment on the flakes appearance. But the tobacco is medium brown, with some golden and orange/yellow sprinkles. Excellent quality and condition. As usual with DTM -Flakes there's no glue used, so the flakes crumble apart pretty easy. I prefer no glue, even tho it's crumbly then.

On first light you get enchanted by a very refreshing smoke. A deep fruitiness of figs, plums and a touch of lemon and orange in the back. A pleasant pepper-note joins in and leaves a tingling mouth-feel, which I find very delightful. A slight grassy and hay-ish note rounds off the whole thing to make it a (imo) perfect smoke. Very natural, very refreshing and exciting. The Perique really shines in this one. It's very present, yet never obtrusive, nor biting. Just honest tobacco taste.

EDIT: I can't help but notice a chocolate-ish note in this tobacco. This is the 3rd blend of DTM that contains Perique and tastes chocolaty. I start to believe it's either the sort of Perique Dan Pipe is using, or it's some kind of ghosting from a chocolate tobacco thats produced nearby. I don't know, but it's damn delicious! Very tempting aroma of milky chocolate. Just very subtle, yet noticeable in almost every puff. Absolutely delightful imo!

For a VA/PER I find it to be very spicy and tangy with a good pinch of "oomph" in it. For m perception Kriswill Medium Navy Cut is a bit spicier and full in smoke than most VA/PERs I got to taste. Definetly a medium+ strenght.

Oh my...what a smoke this is! I wasn't expecting that much, when I ordered a sample of it, but I got proofed wrong. This is a high-class masterpiece of tobacco craftsmanship in my humble opinion. It's just very refined and simply tasty in it's simplicity.

Clearly a 4/4 stars blend to me and I'm sure I will buy a tin of this as soon as possible.

Pipe Used: Clay Pipe / Bellini Straight Billiard (Briar)

Purchased From: Dan Pipe (DTM)

donmartinthree Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
donmartinthree (21)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

This is great. Very blonde leaf in the tin with a few dark (perique) strips every now and then. it's offered as a flake, however, in my tin, it was almost like a ready rubbed with huge chunks of flake as soon as you touch it, because they fall apart easily. the tobacco, even though on the dryer side, feels soft and smells incredibly delicious. what I get from the tin note is a hint of chocolate, dried fruit, hay - just that general spiciness in smell yopu get with good virginias and vapers. the flavor while smoking after packing (one of the easiest packs ever...)is great. creamy, a little hay-like, surprisingly spicy (not hot!) and somewhat dark, as opposed to appearance. highly recommended and great value for your money!

A gifted tin of the Kriswill line by Dan Tobacco arrived at my home from a good friend in Denmark a few years ago. I recently got a batch of Kriswill pipes to sell on eBay and it reminded me of this Medium Navy Cut. I rummaged through the old cellar and out it came. I do not know if this tobacco is still being produced but it was quite good. The flakes fall apart easily and the Virginia is quite good - Bright with hints of Red. The Perique was very lightly presented and played peek a boo with the smoking experience the entire bowl. Mild in strength and character.

Pipestud

One look at the tin, and you'll know that this offering is aimed straight at Capstan's customers. The tin aroma confirms this impression, though the Kriswill is somewhat less grassy and a little sweeter than Capstan's Original Navy Cut.

Nice, thin flakes with no glue or humectants evident, just twist up and drop in pipe -- my favourite type of flake preparation. The taste is sweet, slightly spicy, room note very sweet, but still typically VA.

There isn't much more to tell. Burns down coolly (for a VA), the Perique works more as a condiment than as a major component of the blend, and I end up with some light grey ash in the bowl when finished.

Good stuff, heartily recommendable as an all-day smoke for the VA crowd.