A really special Flake tobacco, made from the best Virginia Grades with 10% Latakia and a pinch of Perique, sweetly seasoned with natural Plum extract.

BrandLondon Blend
Tolerable, Tolerable to Strong
puro66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puro66 (73)
Medium to Strong Extra Strong Overwhelming Pleasant to Tolerable

This has been an odd revisitation of a tobacco I first tried in the late nineties. At that time I remember it being a blonde to light brown virginia flake with faint black stripes of latakia and perique and faint sweet smell of the plum extract. The taste was mostly of virginia with a pleasant flavor from the extract, very subtle in it's application. It was long flakes (ala MarlinFlake) rolled up in a 100gr. tin. I smoked the tin but found other interests and moved on.

In 2012 I decided to try it again. LB1000 gets lots of push in the U.S. but the rest never have, so I bought it from a prominent e-tailer who surprisingly had it. However, what I got was not what I remembered. The flake cut was the same but the color was incredibly dark almost black. The tin aroma was quite strong with a casing, the taste was also quite strong on the flavoring side. I could taste the latakia and viginia but they were mostly overwhelmed by the flavoring. Either the blend did change in those intervening years or there is another possibility. I am certain that the tin I smoked in the nineties was relatively fresh. The 2012 tin had all the tell tale signs of having sat on a shelf for a verrryyy long time. So perhaps that's what happens to this blend with serious age on it, if so it was not for the better.

As it stands what I have is not great and I probably will never get it all smoked. I would try it again from another tin if it were free just to compare but at 20.00 a tin I will not do this again. I am giving this 2 stars because I don't simply want to trash it as it is difficult to believe this is what the blender had in mind.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

First of all: London Series is not a brand. It is a serie of three blends (no. 250, no.750 and no. 1000) under the the name Timm, produced by D.T.M./Dan.

No. 250 is correctly described above as a Virginia Flake seasoned with Latakia & Perique, and a very light flavouring. I would think to something of the league of Old Ironside – or Latakia Flake no. 9 by Brebbia , just to call something of the same manufacturer – just the Latakia is more condimental (but enough to have SWMBO saying it stinks). Perique is just a trace, nothing to talk about other than some piquancy added.

It lights and burns very easy, cool & dry. The flavour is sweet, soapy and smoky. Seems to me I'm smoking some St. Bruno Flake, but no. 250 is consistently milder and has a clearly detectable latakia note. A bit piquant and astringent, but nothing really annoying. It nicely build during the bowl to a dark creamy smoke, leaving a very pleasant palate.

All in all this is a nice blend of it's own style, and I would suggest to Virginia flake lovers.

Three stars, no doubt.

Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable

I hate to go against the grain here ...but I have to do so. This really is a Rubbed Out Virginia Flake with some Latakia and Perique added to it. I guess you can consider it "An English Blend" in the very broad sense of the word. I found it to be a little too sour and bitey for my tastes. All I tasted was VIRGINA with some of the Condimental tobaccos wafting in and out. I can say with certainty that this is for the Virgina Flake smoker. A possible nice diversion- kind of unique. However, for the Aromatic and English crowd this will probably not register very high on the taste scale. 2.5 stars for using quality tobaccos.

bigjonburley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigjonburley (64)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is I high quality "English" that is sure to please the latakia lover. Upon opening, a wonderful tidal wave of English essence oozes from the tin. There is a heaping helping of latakia in this blend. I love this blend alot yet I prefer many other English mixtures. Don't get me wrong though, this is top knotch stuff.

Fazby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fazby (36)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Excellent blend. Virginia and latakia plus a casing that has only a slight flavor. The Virginia is consistent. The Latakia comes and goes so there is some variety as one progresses through the bowl.