Virginia pipe tobacco.

3.6
Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (77)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

A deep, dark, brooding flake - by VA standards. Tin note is traditional VA aromas of hay, sweet feed, earth, with subtle chocolate sweetness and the citrus notes buried deeper in the background. Similarly, the flavors are more robust: not the fresh baked bread and sugar of, say, a Royal Yacht. Rather more earthy: aged (rather than fresh cut) hay, leather, dark cacao. The Port analogy in a review below is apt. The citrus notes are in the background, emerging more expressively at mid-bowl, but always in the background- the more earthy flavors being dominant. I get a bit of licorice in the final third.

Overall a first class VA flake. A bit on the moist side relative to other Dunhill offerings, but nothing like the temperamental SG flakes. Living in a humid climate, I dry this for roughly an hour before smoking and that seems to do the trick. Burns well, smokes cool, almost impossible to create a bite with this one. I enjoy this flake both rubbed out and cube cut, without significant flavor variations. The cube cut expresses a bit more sweet citrus, but it's marginal and, as always, subdued.

A stout VA flake of complexity and substance without the preparatory drama of other flakes in its class. Highly recommended.

CriolloCorojo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CriolloCorojo (16)

let's face it, Dunhill produces some great tobaccos. This blend is no exception. Only dark fired hints of blessed pure tobacco bliss await the smoker. This one only gives as much as one accepts, and then surpasses that expectation with delicious spills on the taste buds. Virginia lovers rejoice!!! This is your howled home. Even after leaving it in cold climates unattended, it reveals its full flavor with little or no relighting and minimal tamping. It is as close to pure tobacco bliss without being too over the top. This one delivers the goods and there is no ketchup or vinegar on the tooth. It is the real Virginia experience with nothing to wane. A++++++

Pipe Used: various

Age When Smoked: 6 months to a year

Purchased From: various sources ( I can't recall, I stock and reload)

LondonCalling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LondonCalling (6)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Of late this has become my go-to smoke when my palette has wearied of latakia or Lakeland flavours and I want a straight, no-nonsense virginia. The term "plain" can be taken as something of a criticism in certain circles. But it's exactly how I'd describe Dunhill Flake, in the sense that it shows an admirable reserve and understatement, whilst delivering more than it at first promises. There's nothing fancy here, and nothing to distract from the enjoyment of the pure leaf. To my nose, the scent from the tin is grassy, even a little on the thin side. But once one sets a match to it, it takes on greater depth, more woodsy and nutty, while there's a peppery tang towards the bottom of the bowl. I find on occasion, particularly if it's my first pipe of the day and I'm craving a bit of a nicotine lift, that I can smoke this too fast, as I enjoy it so much. But be warned: not only is it a tobacco which will only reveal its true dimensions if savoured properly; like many straight virginias, it can also bite back a little if it's taken too fast.

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: Smoked from date of purchase

Purchased From: Various

balkan_boy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
balkan_boy (29)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm halfway through my first tin of it. Although a great fan of Dunhill english mixtures, I've always been sceptical about other types like this one let's say. I always thought of it like fancy snobbish smoke that is never too bad, but not too good either.

I've decided to give it a try, and I wasn't disappointed at all. I got pretty much what I was expecting, but also i got surprised by it's quality. I don't know why this tobacco is marked as non-flavoured, since there is a lot of casing or maybe even topping added to it.

Flakes appear visually similar to Orlik golden sliced and also smells similar. First part of the bowl, you can feel some "Danish" flavouring" which fades away and disappears completely at the middle of the bowl. And then something very strange happens. Floral aroma comes up to the front, as in the first lit of the Lakeland tobaccos. After the danish taste, this is awesome. Not overpowering, but pleasant. And this goes for about a third of the bowl, then the pattern changes and darker VA's come upfront, all until the end. Burns perfectly to white ash, comes in a perfect moisture condition ready to pack immediately, doesnt dry out easily and stays in perfect condition for a week or two. Dunhill and Orlik guys have done wonderful job, by creating a very good flake that can be smoked all day, every day regardless of the mood and situation. It's "danish" flavoured, I guess that's the only negative, everything else is good. Highly recommended from me.

Pipe Used: various

Breizh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Breizh (7)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a truly magnificent flake, not too strong, tasty & smooth. A very relaxing smoke every time. It has a strange fruity aroma, akin to lemon, with a fresh hay undertone. It is a classic VA that deserves its place in anybodies collection.

I vary the way I smoke this, but usually just gently rub a flake out and stuff it into the bowl, not too tight and off I go, absolute bliss.

Pipe Used: Peterson Kapet 606

Age When Smoked: Straight from the tin & 1 year later.

Purchased From: James Fox Dublin.

Similar Blends: Erinmore Flake..

mo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mo (78)

I cannot and will not be drawn into the old vs new regarding this blend and its previous incarnations.

This is the most anticipated blend i have ever smoked. I finally got my tin as a gift

The presentation was in line with what one would expect from Dunhill and Petersons, first class in all respects. I appreciate this. Samuel Gawith take note

The Flakes were neatly cut and the smell promised a lot in that is was very similar to F&T Cut Virginia Plug, a firm favourite.

I left the tin open for a few hours as per my normal ritual with all blends to allow moisture to evaporate then loaded my first bowl.

Upon lighting, the taste was the first thing i noticed, it was a beautiful, deep, nutty Virginia and produced a LOT of smoke. Unfortunately the bite was there too and that is why i marked it 2 stars instead of 4

Bite is a personal thing and it applies to this piper. Do not let this discourage you from trying it.

Unfortunately for this Dunhill Flake, my vote for the Best Brown Flake still goes to the appropriately named " Best Brown Flake" by SG no less. Hideous presentation and all.

Mo, South Africa

Pipe Used: DB's and Petes

Purchased From: Got it as a gift

Similar Blends: F&T CVP.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (121)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

One of the best straight virginias on the market today I would say. You can see the quality of the leaf as soon as you open the tin. It has a just right portion of Vitamin N for my taste and it leaves for me a nice room note as you smoke it. It lights well and stays lit with little effort. Highly recommended.

cjone107 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cjone107 (14)

Athough I'm primarily an aromatic smoker, this provides quite an enjoyable smoke. It smells okay and the dark, natural taste can be a pleasant change of pace from my super-sweet cavendish blends. I can see how somebody who doesn't like aromatics would love this. I, on the other hand, still prefer something a little sweeter.

Purchased From: Smoker's Choice - Bloomington, IL

pDzine Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pDzine (12)

Deep dark earthy... call me crazy, but I think Pecan Pie best describe the array of flavors that dance in and out when this tobacco starts to sing.

I folded stuffed and tufted this fresh from the tin into an orlik rhodesian. The first part of the bowl was very woodsy and dark with hints of leather and essential oil very little sweetness. It gets a bit dry and campfire towards the burn out of the first relight. However, beyond the first light when the bowl starts to heat up and the tobacco hits its stride, I taste dark cocoa, with creamy top notes and a hint of a sweet nut meat that permeates the palate. As this progresses the flavor intensifies and the taste of toasted coconut or pecan pie is incredible. A dark savory meal with a side stream of biscuits and sweet hay.

The burn characteristics out of thr tin are phenomenal and if you stick wiith it past the first few lights it will reward you with a treat. I will try a few other methods to see if I can get past the admittedly rough front end.

Definitely a 3 star blend that will probably earn a 4 star if I can massage it into its zone sooner.

Pipe Used: Orlik Rhodesian

Purchased From: Uhles

Kraft1994 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kraft1994 (54)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A great virginia classic from one of the tobacco greats. A dark yet sweet virginia flake. very similar to Samuel Gawiths Full Virginia Flake. A little lighter and milder. A nice all day smoke for the Virginia lover but not quite to the level of Full Virginia.

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (109)

Pure tobacco, notes of ketchup and vinegar delivered in tin aroma, and, when smoked in the bowl. Nice spice note on retrohale. Not as complex as other VAs (example - SG Best Brown Flake), but good pure flavor all the way through. Packs and lights well. 3+.

Pipe Used: Bjarne Stove Pipe, MM

Age When Smoked: undated tin; bought 2 months ago

Purchased From: Corona Smoke Shop, Battle Creek, MI

crackonosh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
crackonosh (6)

Beautiful, colorful flakes with a wonderfull layers of virginias. Easy to crumble (if you want to) and easy to light. Gives smooth, pleasant smoke. Great tobacco for virginia suckers.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (96)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

A good rendition of Light Flake with a bit more topping and overall a fuller taste. We approach the classic Danish Flake. More sweetness an almost tart aroma, with figs and hay that stay with you for the entire smoke. Considering that things change and that the past is gone, it's better to concentrate and enjoy the present. Unless of course you have those precious tins of Light Flake made in the U.K. that have now matured into an unforgettable Virginia Flake tobacco.

Ciall agus neart Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ciall agus neart (7)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a great VA flake. Opening the tin greets you with a touch of sweetness and smells and tastes amazing. One of my favorite VA's for sure.

Halbarad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Halbarad (3)

Very delicate and nuanced Virginia. When I first opened this tin I was struck by how much this smells like a champagne or maybe a nice crisp hard apple cider. It is wonderfully sweet, but in a natural way. Most aromatics that are almost sickly sweet, this Virginia, on the other hand, is just sweet enough for you to taste but is not overwhelming at all. Could easily become my go to smoke.

Blue Bayou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blue Bayou (59)

Nice, soapy baby powder undertone, light airy ash. Woodsy campfire notes. Great!

moniker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moniker (31)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Dunhill Flake is all about having your cake and eating your gateau, too. It is good on a "simple" level from beginning to end, and its depth and complexity quickly mount for a rich smoke that is interesting and also quite satisfying to the end, especially given its profile.

Tin note is not unusual for a 1st class, aged VA flake, namely golden cake, with just enough hay and soaped saddle leather so you know it's tobacco, with maybe just a drop of rum (or the like). Tobacco, preparation, presentation and smoking qualities all do Dunhill proud. I like to fold and twist a flake (or part of a flake). It "packs", lights and smokes without its own demands, so you can concentrate (or not) on the tobacco. There is some sort of treacle (or something) that sweetens the smoke and the taste from the get-go; but one is not simply left with this. Rather, the aged VA taste and smell deepen and enrich, and the side notes unfurl, including some citrus. Unlike many VAs, DF never really gets bitter, or sour, or ashen. The only downer for me is an unoriginal, spent-campfire aftertaste that lasts a good 20 minutes before it fades back to VA sugar and citrus, and a now-darker cake.

While I want to compare DF to Astley's 109, I will instead refer readers to that review. IMO, Dunhill Flake is 4 star tobacco with a 3- aftertaste; still, a 4 star recommendation.

who me? Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
who me? (8)

This was the first pure Virginia that I had smoked after returning to the pipe a little over a year ago. At that time I thought that it was pretty good but did not want to review it until I had tried the gold standard of Virginia flakes (SG FVF). The flavor and nicotine hit is a little milder than FVF but the poor smoking characteristics of the latter made Dunhill Flake my favorite by a mile. It is a shame that I have a pound of FVF to get rid of now! We should all have this kind of a problem, right?

CThomas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CThomas (1)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Tin purchased in August, 2012. Stored in mason jar.

Appearance: Brown with khaki tan streaks with lots of pockets of whitish flecks.

Tin note: I LOVE the tin note on this. Milk chocolate with raspberry fruitiness. A floral undertone. This is a rich tobacco. Reminds me of port: big, sweet and fruity.

Comes out of the jar fairly wet, so I let this dry a bit. Slightly rubbed into smaller strips and gravity packed into my Brebbia Fat Bob Bulldog. Probably got about 3/4 of one flake into the bowl. Topped with some extremely rubbed for easy lighting.

Taste: Start: On the charring light you're hit with that great VA sweetness. I recommend being a bit judicious with your initial light, it can be a bit stubborn in staying lit. Pepper and chocolate starting off with a apple/pear flavored sweetness. Now don't think when I say sweet that I mean saccharine. Think rich sweetness ala honey.

Mid bowl: Fairly straightforward. Sweet and rich with just enough twang so as to not make the sweetness cloying. Lemon and orange flavors starting to come through more too.

Final: The acidity is starting to pick up, not in bite territory though. The nicotine is starting to ramp up royally so I'm taking this last third rather slowly. It seems like everything is starting to concentrate nearing the end of the bowl.

Thoughts: This blend does it all. Rich yet sweet, light yet full bodied. I love latakia but this is tobacco at its unadulterated finest.

430pat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
430pat (39)

Great Virginia 3 stars only, I reserved 4 stars for SG FVF.

Adjectives like sweet, clean, light, and elegant all come to mind when I think of Dunhill (Light) Flake. It is a high quality Virginia that just might be my favorite in the category. The flavors are a mix of a little bit of fruit and a little bit of hay. I prefer it to Samuel Gawith's Full Virginia Flake for a couple of reasons. The first being that when fresh from the tin as it isn't sopping wet and packs with ease. It is also much easier to find. When it has some age on it, I find it sweeter and more flavorful that FVF. Every Virginia flake fan should have this fine flake on the must smoke list.

Mateo Torgy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mateo Torgy (7)

"Barnyard." How many times have we used the word to describe pipe tobacco or cigars? Too often. And I'm not an innocent party. It's a vague word in that it encompasses everything in the barnyard from the barn's hay loft, to the calf barn, to the machine shed, to the silo, to the cow pasture, and even to the cesspool. Dunhill Flake is the sine qua non of so-called "barnyard" tobaccos, in pipe or cigars. It is the beam of light illuminating the hay loft on a 65-degree autumn day. Okay, that's over the top. But not really.

When I opened my first tin of Flake, I was mesmerized by sweet earthy grass and hints of natural spice. The medium chestnut flakes are consistently beautiful and well constructed. I've learned that folding, twisting, and rubbing one flake yields a mound of magic that fills a compressed 3/4-inch diameter bowl just fine. The rubbed-out tobacco strands burn cool and slowly. Allow a char light, tamper, and second and third lights and tampers while using a match and shallow puffs to ensure coolness, lest face bitterness, bite, and ash, as is standard for all Virginias.

For a Virginia, it's remarkably complex. You will detect sweetness but also dry cocoa, white pepper, cream, and yes, everything good about barnyard. It's a fresh, sun-grown style Virginia that evokes memories of visiting my uncle's farm on a September Saturday afternoon.

One of only two tobaccos that I'm willing to rate four stars.

Even the flake hater who posts negative reviews for every flake tobacco he's tried ought to like this one. It breaks apart very easily, burns well and cool; a gentle smoking experience. I definitely taste the natural Virginia sweetness, but I think there's a light topping of some kind here. I get a little grassy, lemony taste with a mild, slightly noticeable honey essence. I couldn't quite put my finger on the other taste note I detected, but an earlier reviewer seems to have figured it out when he suggested a ginger bread hit. I agree, though it's not in every puff, and is a slight accent from time to time as you smoke down to the bottom. This tobacco ages wonderfully, and should appeal to both the all day smoker as well as the "change of pace from heavier tobaccos" puffer. A first class smoke; one of the best Virginias on the market.

BurgundyRed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BurgundyRed (2)

When I first smoked this I was not too happy. The problem was my ignorance about smoking flake. Through my reading I found someone suggesting this should be smoked in a pot shape pipe. The large area is favorable to this tobacco. Another suggested to cut up the flake into small cubes and gravity pack the pipe with only a slight packing down before you char it and tamp it down ever so slightly for the second light. I also let the tobacco dry out a little. At least for me this made a very big difference. It smoked down to the bottom. Small puffs never heated up the pipe to the point it was painful to handle. It actually was pretty cool. I'm really enjoying this mild and flavorful tobacco and now understand the high rating.

CubanPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CubanPiper (6)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

This is a good tobacco, sometimes is a little boring but must of the time is really good. the more you let it dry, the more taste you get

Russell Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Russell (62)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Strong

Originally posted under the "Light Flake," but now produced under the name "Flake."

On opening this tin, you get a scent which is very acidic (it almost smells like perique but is even more sour, without the same level of fruitiness), but only slightly fruity, and to me, a little foul. As expected from this smell, at first light the taste is about as bland and one dimensional as it gets. However as the smoke progresses it starts to taste just like the tin note, about 1/3 of the way through the bowl. Sour, fermented, slightly foul. I personally don't enjoy it, as it reminds me of the rotten fruit taste of Dunhill's other Virginia, royal yuck.

Then there is the tongue bite, which is vicious. I enjoy a lot of vapers, virginias, and lakeland flakes, and this is one of the most biting flakes I have tried over the years. You can tone it down somewhat by thoroughly drying it, using the fold and stuff method in a filtered pipe, and smoking it very slowly, but you will have more than your fair share of relights.

The ash is of a very dark grey colour, which indicates that it is leaving a lot of solids behind.

I enjoy most of Dunhill's excellent offerings, but this is not one of them. There are a lot of better virgina flakes out there on a similar theme of sour, such as St. James flake, by Samuel Gawith, which smokes particularly smooth, has more nicotine, and a much more agreeable flavour.

The room note is of old damp cigarettes, and won't win you any friends walking by. I'll store the rest of this tin in a mason jar until it changes color, and see what happens when it has some age to it.

Update 6/03/13

What a difference some new air in a mason jar has made in two months! The foulness is gone, and has been replaced with an acidic fermented fruit scent. I was looking for something light to smoke this evening and thought I'd give it another try. It now has become a much better smoke - but this still bites worse than most aromatics. Thus no fourth star. I originally gave this flake 1 star, but will now upgrade it to three. Load this one in a very well broken in cob (to the point the walls have gone porous with charcoal) remove the filter, and sip it very slow. It is not half bad, but keep it outside as the smoke it produces is still very strong and smelly, I'd compare it with a wet dog that rolled around in the mush beneath an apricot tree in the fall. Will likely buy more for a light outdoor smoke on warm evenings. Dunhill makes all my favorite English blends but they need to work on their virginias.

Tuckers Gpa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tuckers Gpa (29)

I find this flake to be milder and lighter than Orlik. Although the taste is mild, it is no doubt a Virginia flake. I find milder tastes, and in this form an entirely mild experience to repeat

Great tobacco. Very similar to Orlik Golden but a very subtle difference can be distinguished only when smelling the tin or blowing smoke through the nose. Orlik is a little on the brighter/lemony side. Even if you prefer Dunhill flake a little I doubt it can be as good of value as Orlik.

Smoking Sam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smoking Sam (20)

This is my favorite Virginia flake, followed closely by FVF.

I usually prepare this flake by folding it and cutting it into small cubes, then packing it loosely. It seems to burn better for me this way, versus the fold and tuck methods which necessitates frequent relights.

I like the honest, straight tobacco taste. It burns cooly, and a bowl lasts a long time. As other reviewers have noted, a little drying time is rewarded in a better burning mixture.

Usually easy to find in stores and on line.

Currently, my favorite Dunhill tobacco. Highly Recommended.

macpuffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
macpuffer (17)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Dunhill flake...lovely flakes of pure Virginia tobacco. Smokes very well with a lovely sweet flavour. I used to love Benson and Hedges OVF but alas this is no longer available...this is a good substitute. Interestingly this flake tastes to me identical to Richmond flake which I purchased in Germany (only available there I am led to believe?)

alesouza Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
alesouza (4)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my mixture of choice. It is a high quality VA. It is almost pure virginia tobacco. It is perfect in many senses! I usually smoke it in a Corn Cob pipe and it tastes very, very good. It easily heats the bowl a lot, so one has to smoke slowly. Nevertheless, it does not bite the tongue. I highly recommend it.

Balisong Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Balisong (3)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Definitely an A list tobacco. I prepare one half of a flake for the type of pipe I want to enjoy. For a 3/4 by 1 1/4 or so deep bowl, I fold the half flake twice against the grain and stuff into the pipe with the grain parallel to the rim. For wider bowls I'll start the same but rub it between my palms to make a ball to stuff into the pipe. The charring light is a bit harsh, but the next light tones down to a crisp, smooth, and sweet smoke. If they fuel the fires of hell with this one I'll be in heaven!

Bingobaron Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bingobaron (5)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

Death row smoke! If its the last thing I smoke, I'll die happy.

Ludwig Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ludwig (1)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This has to be one of Dunhill's classics. If you love the taste of tobacco and like the less aromatic blends you should definitely try it. The tobacco has a subtle hint of pineapple and honey. It has a medium to strong strength and the flavor is very mild. The room note is tolerable and tends to give a hint of cigarette tobacco and cigars. I highly recommend it.

II Stormy II Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
II Stormy II (14)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

Subtle ammonia aroma when smoking a large bowl. All in all a good smoke with a nice tin aroma.

Kruppstahl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kruppstahl (3)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Upon opening the tin I found the scent to be "cigarettish", and thought "oh no". I was pleasantly surprised to find, half tin done, that the tobacco finished with a wonderful pure tobacco sweetness,and the scent from the tin had also transformed into something with much more character. Maybe the tobacco just needed some air time. So, though my first impression was not the best, I now rate the product quite highly. As others have noted its moisture level is about perfect, it rubs out easily gaining lots of loft in the process. It burns perfectly leaving only a little white ash in the bowl. Having dedicated a pipe to it, I'll always have some of this stuff around, pricey though it can be.

ivycap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ivycap (63)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

An all around quality VA. Of quality, I would put it above Orlik Golden Sliced and below SG Full Virginia Flake. It is very smooth, and aged to perfect natural sweetness. I seem to get a hint of ginger bread cookie in the finish, but not in an aromatic way.

johnstaf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
johnstaf (12)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

The beauty of the (almost) pure VA in Dunhill Flake convinced me, once and for all, that tobacco is one of the great gifts given to mankind. It's up to us to use it wisely. This realisation rid me of any guilt associated with being a smoker, along with any desire to stop. It might have the same effect on you, so proceed with caution...

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (37)

This is a quality VA flake. It is topped with something. I cannot quite put my finger on it. I wish someone would. Whatever it is, in my opinion instead of complementing the VA's it actually seems to mute their flavors. It is a good flake to be sure sweet and at times very sweet, perhaps it is simply a sweeter that is added? In any case I think this takes away more than it adds. I would recommend this to anyone starting out looking for a good VA, I simply prefer others.

TheSmokinDragon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheSmokinDragon (56)

Pop tins like PEZ...'nough said...if you love pure Vs and have not had this one yet...buy a sleeve of it for yourself

henwrench Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
henwrench (16)

Clean. That's the key word with this one. Pure too. Fantastic tobacco, try it straight outta the tin if you like but I found it to be very slightly 'young'. As I do with all my baccies, jar her up and leave her in the dark for at least a week or two. Really, the quality is top. Yes, not particularly complex, no rising and falling overtones, but for sheer consistency and smokeability, this tobacco is very highly recommended. Good all day smoke and a superb first of the day bowl.

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (83)

After decades of pipe smoking I am embarrassed to admit that this is my first straight VA flake. Heavy English/Oriental blends are my usual smokes with VaPers (ribbon cut, flakes, krumble kakes, spun coins...all really) being an occasional bowl.

I pretty much am saving time and verbage and will just say Jallen49 below pretty much nailed my impressions of this one.

dnietosi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dnietosi (11)

This is just a perfect smoke! Opening the can you feel like you have jump into a pool of dried fruit. Smokes great, tastes better. No dottle at all, just thin grey ash. Will I smoke it again? I have dreams about smoking this thing!

Jallen49 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jallen49 (22)

Fantastic Virginia for either those who know they love Virginias or for those who would like to try a virginia for the first time.

Upon opening the tin one is greeted with a lovely light, sweet, dried fruit smell. At this point, none of the typical grass/hay aromas come through.

The flakes themselves are lighter than are normal Virginia flakes, and are presented in near optimal moisture, ready to smoke at once!

It tastes wonderful. I get a dash of the fruitiness from the tin notes, supported by a lovely natural earthiness/hay note, and all wrapped up in a nice easy sweetness. For me that is what makes this blend stand out from others I have tried thus far: the light, sweet tasting notes.

The nicotine has never been all too noticeable to me, and normally I am sensitive to it. For a straight Virginia, it is quite cool smoking.

All in all, I highly rate it. I really don't think you can go wrong with this one.

Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

A classic that will almost always satisfy. Although it can be pricey at times, it is worth it. The somewhat mild flavor almost seems sweet at times with can be very relaxing. The lighting and tongue bite is never a problem. A classic, perfect Dunhill.

AlexL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AlexL (26)

This is my first flake tobacco. I've deliberately decided to begin my flake career with this sort knowing the quality and consistency of Dunhill.

On opening the tin smells fresh straw and some tutti frutti. I've loaded my pipe with two flakes using fold and twist method (hooray to YouTube) and after a number of relights got it properly. It burned right to the bottom of the pipe with ease.

It's for pure Virginia lovers, straight and simple tobacco with typical sweet aftertaste. I personally prefer more complex mixtures with higher nicotine content. If I invest a full hour in global warming, I'd like to get at least some punch. But given the high quality of this tobacco and ease of use, I give it 3 stars.

Update 05/03/2013 Now it became my favorite. 4 stars and not less.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (120)

I didn't get this blend at first. It seemed flat. After finishing a tin and buying another, it became more obvious. A good flake that doesn't require a lot of fussing to enjoy it. A fruity Va that doesn't have a ton of punch. The flakes rub out easily, and 1 flake is enough for any of my bowls! Burns nice, clean, and without bite.

english fox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
english fox (6)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

one of the greats . as a returning pipe smoker after 20 yrs where do you start . i first smoked this 40 yrs ago and its as good now as it was then . a classic !

This is an incredible tasting tobacco. I could be quite content sitting upon a pile of this on some deserted island. It is plain tobacco, nonbiting, but full flavored. Easily an all day smoke. I can't say enough good things about it and can't wait til I get my next tin.

Luke Duke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Luke Duke (1)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

New to pipe smoking, and didnt like this leaf at first.Then I realized how to pack and smoke it. Smoke it like your making love to a woman ; SLOW take your time it wont disappoint.I found it to be on of my Favs so far next to Londen Mix.

bman64 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bman64 (44)
Mild to Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Bought this from seemingly reputable tobacconist who hooked me up with a pound of Penzance when no one else had so much as a tin. Bought this and EMP, both of which I could smell thru the tin :( So upon opening, no swoosh, tin top even loose, equating to dried out flake. Tried a bowl anyways, pathetic in every way. Going to try to get a swap for another tin, wanted to compare to Orliks other Va, Golden Sliced. This not a fair match. Hope to update with onther tin later.

Updating my review as I recd another tin for Christmas, this one properly sealed and smelling and tasting like the highest quality Vas should. I have been mixing it 2:1 with Solani Aged Burley Flake and the combo is as perfectly matched as peanut butta & chocolate. Very good stuff indeed!

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (98)

I won't bother going on one of my usual rants, the quality of this speaks for itself. Classic virginia.

SmokingMySav Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokingMySav (9)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

If you want quality and consistency - Dunhill is your guy. And the Flake doesn't disappoint. It's a pure Va mix, so the taste is pretty one-dimensional, as others have mentioned. If you like the taste of pure Va tobaccos, this one is the best you can buy.

I personally smoke a few tins of Flake come summer time, even though I am not a fan of pure VAs, but sometimes I long for something simple. If you need a bit more complexity out of your Va baccy, Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls or the Royal Yacht are great options, as well.

derlict311 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
derlict311 (65)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Comparing Dunhill Flake to other fine Virginias, I would say it is nearly as good, but not quite. It is up there with other quality, straight Virginias (Blackwoods Flake, FVF), but kind of like the Nebraska Cornhuskers when they were in the Big 12, they just can't whoop Texas. There are moments that will bring "much happiness", but it doesn't leave me spellbound like FVF. It is satisfying, so I smoke this when I want a Virginia and nothing better is available. It has its character and that makes it better than Opening Night, which was flat to me.

Taipanmamba Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taipanmamba (16)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I love this and it is simply put one of the best Flake Tobaccos money can buy. Beautiful presentation in a simple but elegant square tin. I find it needs a little drying out and straight out of the tin it can be a little harsh on the tongue. With patience though and a week or two to "air out" this becomes a magical experience. Smooth and pure - the essence of a a pure virginia smoke. I made the mistake initially of smoking this after having been smoking Rattrays Accountants mixture ( a very full blend )so my initial thoughts were that this was a little bland. When smoked on its own though one really begins to appreciate the unaltered flavour and heavenly pure virginia taste. I get hay and straw with just a hint of pepper from the smoke. Personally I find this does better when more fully rubbed than other flakes and with simple fold and stuff the burn rate could be slow. Highly recommended . Going to stock up on this as I have a feeling it will be even better with a few years of age on it. Another Dunhill legend fully deserving of its reputation.

firmitas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
firmitas (6)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I love this flake. I love that every so often I get a gift of sweetness from one of its puff. Great taste, it burned great. It was a calming, pleasant smoking experience.

machinebcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
machinebcon (50)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Quite big, thin, beautiful reddish-light brown flakes. In my tin these flakes were not perfectly cut through at one edge. Dunhill Flake smells like dark German bread out of the tin. I rubbed it out slightly before putting the baccy into the bowl, it needed a little bit of drying time. The smoke itself is very enjoyable, cool but tasty, and reminds me somehow of Golden Sliced sans the "citrus" edge. A smooth, creamy and sweet, very peaceful and honest tobacco with - as most VA's - a tendency to bite (and to taste one-dimensional) if smoked too hastily. Personally, I didn't find the Vitamin N to be too much, but I'm coming from cigarettes, so YMMV. Cannot comment much on the room note, it smells quite neutral. So far, this has been the best pure VA flake I had. I'm giving it a full score and warmly recommend it to the relaxed smoker.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

My thoughts on this are close to many previous ones, esp those by Michael and (minus the 'lemony' note) ErichPryde. A well-made but very one-note tobacco. Your rating will depend on how you respond to that one note. For me, a B- solid, somewhat enjoyable, but in the end really nothing more for me than 'all right'.

Aussie-man-die-as Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aussie-man-die-as (13)

I was lucky enough to run into an original red tin on ebay recently in Australia for under $10. This must be many years old - the tin was rusty and the tobacco was dried out, but responded superbly to rehydration. My review is based on this one tin. Dunhill pipe tobaccos are not currently available in Australia, to the best of my knowledge.

So: delicate, thin, perfectly formed little flakes, crammed into the tiny tin. A hay-like, refined tobacco tin note, inviting the smoker to dip in. The flakes rub out very easily and pack well.

From the first charring light the quality of the tobacco is obvious. Clean flavors of hay-like pure tobacco, reminding me of what a really good Virginia cigarette used to taste like 40 years ago, but several degrees better. Every puff is a blissful, subtle experience, from char to dottle.

This is a refined, subtle, character filled smoke, and I hoard the pipefuls I have left like a miser, for when I think I really deserve them.

This too shall pass.

zacchaeus11 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zacchaeus11 (3)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This was one of the first flakes i ever tried, and wow did it surprise me. i was expecting an overwhelming nicotine hit, and granted being a new pipe smoker it did have quite a bit of nicotine, but once my pallet started to become accustomed to it, it took my tastebuds on a ride of utter bliss. it has that kind of hay/straw/barn-like smell to it, which i am assuming is in all virginia blends. it was one of the best smokes i have ever had. i highly recommend it.

Brown Pipeman 1940 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brown Pipeman 1940 (40)

There is not much to say about this excellent flake, other than it is well worth your money. I'm always hesitant about buying a tin of tobacco - even with such a legendary name as Dunhill attached to it. This flake is some high quality Virginia with typical Virginia tobacco flavors of hay, citrus, and butter. Sound odd? If you have not tried flakes, do so and you'll see what a delicious combination those can make!

under the arbor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
under the arbor (12)
Extremely Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

As my readers hold their collective breath as to what the sage of New England will write (while knowing full-well his weakness for all things "Dunhill") I must confess; this is not going to dethrone any of my favorite "flakes" other than to say that the blend is far, I say far more conducive to "anytime" (so long as it's not with morning coffee) smoking. I should explain; DF is much more one dimensional than say Gawith or Reiner's. DF has all the positives that we seek yet it's more subtle far less demanding of a mid-day, after lunch palate. Whereas my beloved Cluney, HOTW or Blend 71 demand a wee bit o' whiskey to keep them company, DF can get by with just a spot of sweet tea. This does not disappoint. DF has not the "tin - nose" of FVF or MacBarens Navy Flake for that matter, but there's no bite no need for drying- rubbing or overworking. You simply open the exquisitely packaged flake fold-twist-stuff and light. Marvelous,smooth and comforting. Orlik knows it's stuff.

Mike__P Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike__P (87)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Sigh. Emboldened by my recent experience with FVF, Blackwoods and many VA/Burs, I have been venturing more into Virginia territory, and I had high hopes for this one. I'm still scratching my head over how many of the reviewers compare Flake to FVF or propose it as an alternative to the perenially-sold-out Gawith blend. To me, these two are as diametrically opposed as a ribeye steak is to turkey breast. Not that there's anything wrong with turkey . . . or breasts.

DF comes in the most elegant tin I have ever seen, from the graphics to the sealed inner liner, and the flakes themselves would appeal to even the most fervid obsessive-compulsive. To me, it all looks and tastes similar to Golden Sliced (Red) - - not a bad thing, but there's just not enough oomph for my palate. The constituent flavors are all here and very pleasing; it's just that everything is muted to a low hum. It's well behaved, vegetal yet not too grassy, and dry with a mellow, dried-fruit undertone. If this sounds like your cup of tea, go for it. In fact, tea would be a good choice to pair with this blend. But I'm no teetotaler.

DrCHicks Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrCHicks (9)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

After a long day filled with disappointments I arrived home and opened my first tin of this blend. I packed a bowl and poured a drink. The first few puff did not impress me at all but the longer I smoked this bowl the better it got. I think we all relate our pipe and tobacco to time and events. This smoke simply relaxed me and helped me forget the day. I rather pleasant way to recover don't you agree?

Petersons&Virginias Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Petersons&Virginias (4)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I never tried the old Dunhill stuff, so I can't speak to the "closeness" of this vs. the old Light Flake. And I'm no expert. What I can tell you, is I smoke this 3 out of 5 times I smoke anything. It's just good. It's easy to find, not insanely pricey, and simply tasty. I've used it to introduce some of my new-to-pipes friends (who usually smoke cloying syrupy sweet things) to the wonderful world of straight VAs, with much success. Nothing extreme or intense here, just good, non-bitey, flavorful but not overwhelming baccy. Won't win any wife awards, but it's far from stinky. If I have to run into the store or gas station and leave my pipe in the car with the windows up, I LOVE the way it smells when I get back in.

palm springs piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
palm springs piper (12)

I haven't found a better, more well rounded, and generally available Virginia than this. From price, to tin note, to burning characteristics, flavor, strength and room note - ACES.

photomann Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
photomann (2)

This tobacco does seem to have changed! i always remember DF as a very straight and pure virginia and smoked a lot approx 10 years ago. This is my first tin and without wishing to jump to a premature conclusion: there seems to be a taste present that is unfamiliar - a sort of syrupy/sherbety tang that coats the mouth and pallete. Still a pleasant tobacco, but not as nutty and pure as i remember? maybe i need another tin for comparison.

ARIMA Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ARIMA (12)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

I expected a little more taste with this one, but still a good mild to medium smoke. No bite. Smoked well outside even in the strong winds of southern Minnesota in early October.

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (72)

A VA on the milder side.

When i first smoked it i was quite disappointed as i was expecting something stronger and i puffed away too hard in my search for strength. A tin later and slowing down has brought out the great subtle flavours. Smoke to hard and this is on or two star baccy. Slow down and it's sublime. Yes, it's one of those tobbaccos. Same packing format/tin as Irish Flake which is great.

Withnail Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Withnail (16)
Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

I really love this blend! I have been working my way through various different flake tobaccos and would compare this to another firm favourite of mine, Peterson University Flake. This Dunhill Flake has less of a nicotine kick, but makes up for that with a wonderfully smooth flavour.

There is a very pleasing mushroom / woody flavour that lasts to almost the end of the bowl. It burns well, even when only slightly rubbed out and takes on a woody / nutty flavour as you reach the end of the bowl. I highly recommend this blend!

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Go figure... All Dunhill blends have undergone a steep decline in the past ten years, while this one actually seems to have IMPROVED.

I hadn't smoked it in a long time, since it was actually called Light Flake and I had found it extremely underwhelming. Now I got a free tin with the purchase of a new Dunhill pipe, and I am enjoying it quite a bit.

Lower nicotine content, easier to keep lit, less sweet/soapy and more salty/sour, and definitely tastier. It tastes like Orlik (who makes this one for Dunhill) has added some (more) burley to the bright and red Virginia base. Ok, maybe now it's a bit less unique and it tastes more like other similar products... but it's much more enjoyable and less bland to my tastebuds.

Still not my benchmark flake, but not so distant from the very best ones (MacBaren Mixture Flake, Samuel Gawith's Full Virginia Flake, Rattray's Marlin Flake). Even if you despise the bastardised new version of the old Dunhill blends like I do (they are true abominations), give this one a try: evidently the Danish manifacturers know a trick or two about flakes, and know how to still make good ones while they suck at making replicas of the historical Dunhill latakia mixtures...

ErichPryde Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ErichPryde (9)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Good, plain tobacco here. The tin note is fig newtons, dried cake and sugar. After leaving the tin open for several days it became more inviting. I used stuff and roll to load the pipe and once it was lit it was fairly well behaved with little bite. It probably could have used half an hour's drying time. The ease with which this flake lit and stayed burning with no dry time, and the fact that tongue irritation was minor (I could see it biting if it was pushed!) wins it major points.

The tobacco is somewhat grassy, lemony, and like burning hay. Very pleasant, somewhat sweet room note of just tobacco.

Definitely a well done virginia flake, but not nearly interesting enough to justify the price... Or maybe it is, it's better than orlik golden sliced in my opinion. I would recommend it as something to try for the straight va smoker.

A good Virginia, comes with the right moisture content and a nice flake. I just don't find this tobacco exciting or interesting and is very one dimensional. It's not real sweet ( actually it's salty) it burns well and doesn't bite (smoked in a cob). It reminds me of Orlik's Golden Sliced Red but without as heavy a citrus topping and a higher price. If I want a sweet Virginia I'd buy McB Virginia No.1, if I want a tangy Virginia , I'd buy McC 5100 Red Cake, If I want a strong complex Virginia it's FVF or Solani's 660 Silver. However , if I want Orlik's Red, I'll buy Orlik's red. This reminds me of a Peter Stokkebye product.

I'll probably always call this "Light Flake" but I'm reviewing the newer version, so I'm putting this review where it belongs. The tin has changed - it's now shallower and wider - but the flake appears the same as I remember it. I didn't smoke a lot of this "back in the day", as I preferred other VAs, just as I do now. But this one is easy to recommend.

Nice golden brown flakes with the tin aroma of citrus. As I'm not a huge fan of overly-fruity VA's, I wasn't encouraged. Ultimately I found that this one liked to be rubbed out to perform at its best. No extra drying needed, either.

Citrus flavor, for sure, but also a wonderful earthy undertone that kept this one from being monotonous. The lemon and bronze virginias play to a draw here, with neither holding sway. It's a medium strength blend that doesn't overpower. It starts out fairly robust, with that sweet yet masculine flavor, and only slightly strenthens as it is smoked. I guess it is sort of monotone and non-complex but it's a great classic virginia. The flavor never wavers, but a little more zealous puffing takes it to another level, as long as you don't overdo it. I'm giving this 4 stars even though it's probably a 3 for my taste because I think every virginia smoker should give this a run. It's a venerable blend that appears not to have been messed with by the new blender, and it's a lot better to me than several other highly regarded VA's I could name.

Trippwire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Trippwire (58)

This is awesome, very pure tobacco taste. A little bit sweet with enough nicotine to keep my happy. The flakes are pretty big, and I have only smoked this rubbed out. Moist or dried out, it smokes well. I thought I didn't really like virginia tobacco.... I was wrong, I will be buying heaps more. This is a winner for sure.

furious Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
furious (29)

Great flake from the newest incarnation of Dunhill. Very mild aroma from tin promises a nice, easy smoke ahead. No drying time needed--just separate a couple of flakes, rub or fold and stuff, and you are off to the races. Very high quality Va. leaf here that just barely makes its presence known initially. Strength increases slightly as you work through the bowl. Nice ending. A staple of my rotation and a classic.

Duke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Duke (39)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Light Flake vs. Flake: I never bitched or moaned as much as I did during the recent US, Dunhill absence. If I had to pin a date as to my earliest Dunhill Flake smoking I'd go back to 1976. I remember as if it was yesterday the tin aroma of a newly bought can. Its smell reminded me of a freshly sharpened new pencil. I know, crazy? I never imagined Dunhill not making pipe tobacco. I never stocked up much because it was always available. Well, anyway, I didn't catch the fresh tin scent of a Dixon #2 pencil, freshly sharpened, from the newly opened Dunhill Flake tin. I did find the pseudo (read: fake) “Royal Warrant” stamped on a shallower tin- oh well. Anyhow, I like it. Is it the same? It's too soon to tell. I found the tangy taste and the advancing strength I loved. Yeh, I like it. I need to finish a few more tins to give it a fair review. How do folks submit 10 to 15 reviews at once- it's baffling to me?

This latest rendition had me looking at the flakes to a point where I consciously book-ended the flakes rather than as they are tinned, fanned or staggered. What I glimpsed was I wide variety of tobacco leafs making up these slices of the original cake. Some light, some dark, some with a greenish hue, my imagination soared at the thought of the subtle and complex recipe coveted by Dunhill.

Thbg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thbg (25)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I get this going real strong after the false light and then just sit back and slowly puff... and it is just magical.

Highest quality of tobacco = natural sweetness (no topping), not too strong, no bite and organic/ earthy/ zesty taste. Room note is not overly offense to others.

A lot of other VA Flakes are good but are way strong in the nicotine department. I have smoked this at all times of the day and it has always satisfied without knocking me over.

This is pretty much the perfect pipe tobacco.

cfbender Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cfbender (2)
Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

First review on here, gotta say I love Dunhill flake. I smoke it mainly in my dedicated VA Savinelli and I love every minute of it. Medium Virginia with a good dose of Vitamin N, and a cool easy smoke. Love the flake, I usually just rub it out, but have tried folding it, seemed to stick to the side of my bowl a lot, probably just need to dry it out.

Will definitely be getting another tin of this soon.

ijustknewit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ijustknewit (4)

My first review on here, hello everybody. I am comparing this highly-rated Virginia to another highly-rated virginia, namely Samuel Gawith's Full Virginia Flake, which is actually the only other pure virginia tobacco I have smoked so far. I have put this review in the Gawith's section also.

I have only been smoking a pipe regularly for about three months having first purchased my old Duncan Delta filter pipe 37 years ago at the tender age of 16. At that time I dabbled with Clan (as you would expect, what a disappointment when that lovely sweet room-smell wasn't replicated in my nose when smoking the stuff), Holland House, Three Nuns, St. Bruno, Erinmore Flake, and Tetley's loose tea when skint, only once. It has been used on and off over the years for the smoking of various herbs legal and otherwise and has now returned to its intended use as an incinerator of fine tobaccos.

Here we go then for my first simple comparison of two virginia heavyweights. The big picture for me is that the Dunhill Flake is much sweeter and milder than the Gawith's. It is better presented in smaller more regular flakes and is overall much more delicate, or dainty. This presentation in a smaller tin, full of smaller flakes, gives an impression that in comparison to the Gawith product in its larger tin full of big rough meaty flakes, you are being short-sold. Not being a sad enough person to weigh the net contents, I cannot confirm this and I am sure the effect is purely one of perception.

The Gawith flake is much moister in the tin and I find that it does need to be dried for an hour or so before smoking to avoid your pipe gurgling, tongue bite and bitterness. The Dunhill requires less drying and you have to work it hard to get any tongue-bite.

The Dunhill in the tin smells much sweeter and milder although the Gawith smells more complex and fruity, like dried apricot and raisin. Not yet possessing the olfactory skills of other reviewers I am not able to offer any more elaborate distinctions once the tobacco is alight.

Both tobaccos are highly enjoyable smokes. Of the two I prefer the Dunhill.

Kyrob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kyrob (21)

Opening the 10 month old sample of Dunhill Flake I had revealed lovely compressed flakes of browns and yellows giving an overall orange cast to the tobacco. It smelled the way a Virginia flake should, faint citrus odors with hay dominating. It was very clean felling and the moisture level was just about perfect. I prefer to rub out my flakes, so this review is based on this blend being fully rubbed out.

An unlit sip brought the familiar Virginia tastes to my lips, and the initial light produced the taste of fresh hay. The overall taste was of hay, with a nice intermix of sweetness and citrus flavors fading in and out. This tobacco burned to a clean white ash, and left an oily finish at the back of my mouth. The room note was acceptable, but not wonderful.

I really love this flake, it has great taste and the nicotine hit is just about right for me. If you are looking for a straightforward, sweet tasting Virginia flake, this would be a good candidate. I will definitely be looking forward to how the other tins develop in my cellar.

Once more, finding myself out of VA flakes, I decided to experiment. This time, with this blend.

Opening the tin, my nose detects VA. Straight VA and nothing but VA, slightly aged. Some grass in there, but also lots of sweetness. The presentation is typical fold-and-twist slices, so fold and twist I do, using my taller bowls.

The taste is excellent; grassiness is in there, but not too much, and the sweetness I expect from a VA is there in abundance. This blend has been compared to Full VA Flake; it is comparable, but in my estimation does not quite reach that gold standard.

A really good blend, but not so outstanding that I would buy again: other blends compare very well and are a lot less pricey. Sam Gawith's FVF is only minimally more affordable, but that blend actually manages to justify its price. This one, sorry to say, does not; it's a close call though.

joeljcj2 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
joeljcj2 (8)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

as a decades long admirer of the old dunhill flake, i was heartened to see it reintroduced. i see very little difference--even in smoking the new very soon after smoking one of my very few remaining tins of the old. i do not find any added flavoring or casing. it is a clean , bright virginia flake. i compare it favorably -to gawith fvf and gawith best brown ( a bit heavier and more complex) and iwan ries flake.--although i still smoke both of these frequently. orlick golden seems to me to have a bit much of a flavor added,and reiner golden flake, a marvelous tobacco, also seems a bit sweetened. as a lighter - morning smoke dunhill is still unrivaled just a note on packing. i find folding and rubbing just a bit , with the grain and then sort of stuffing it in so the grain is in essence running down the pipe, provides a long continuous burning , quite cool ,flavorful smoke.

brigstowe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brigstowe (5)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Learning how to smoke this tobacco was a rewarding (if at times frustrating) experience. It is by no means a strong smoke, but it must be treated with care if its full potential is to be realised.

The packaging is just gorgeous: a dainty tin filled with neatly sliced and arranged flakes. On a visual level, this tobacco makes a great first impression! The aroma in the tin is very fruity with raisin and apricot notes predominating. In fact, it's almost too fruity. Have Orlik added a mild topping/casing to this 'pure VA' flake? I'm too inexperienced to say for sure.

It took considerable trial and error before I really began to enjoy this blend. Packing, lighting and puffing cadence were the major obstacles to overcome. I experimented with various methods before settling on one which worked for me.

I used the following 'half-and-half' method to pack the tobacco:

1) I split one of the flakes in half 2) I rolled, folded and stuffed one half into the bowl (leaving an air pocket at the very bottom) 3) I rubbed out the other half and sprinkled it on top, pressing down very gently to level it off.

Lighting-up usually required three matches with some gentle tamping in between. Once the tobacco was burning evenly, the biggest challenge was keeping it lit without letting it get too hot. Tongue-bite wasn't a major issue, but I found that too much heat destroyed all the subtle nuances and left the tobacco tasting rather bland. With gentle puffing, however, this blend really comes into its own. Drawing the warm smoke over the tip of the tongue is an utter delight. It is naturally sweet with a gentle fruitiness to it. There's also an underlying hint of toasted bread. Apricot jam on toast, anyone?

This slow-burning, long-lasting flake is highly recommended. I want to concentrate on Latakia blends in the immediate future, but if this is what a 100% VA flake is supposed to taste like, I may consider branching out and trying another - perhaps Gawith's FVF.

DTJ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DTJ (4)
Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

A lovely smoke, one of the best flakes, I have smoked others and I really like this one a good strong taste

Aviator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aviator (3)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Just bought a tin because I have heard a lot of good things about this blend. I have been wanting the SA FVF but cannot find any so this was recommended. I have several Virginia flake blends and brands in my cellar however this might just be my new favorite. I folded with the grain first then against the grain and then rubbed it gently and packed it into my Stanwell 63M. It took one false light then after the second light it stayed lit for about an hour and 15 minutes. I didn't notice any dottle even though I didn't dry it out before stuffing in the pipe. The taste is remarkable. Very smooth with fantastic taste and note.

I highly recommend this if you are a fan of Virginia Flake as I am. I don't know that you will find a more premium blend of flake than this.

PastorPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PastorPipe (17)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I enjoy smoking flake tobaccos, and this one is of a very high quality. Pure Virginas with pure tobacco flavor. It lights well and is long-burning. My method is to rub out one flake for the bottom of the bowl and then fold and pack the second flake. This insures a nice draw (flake tobaccos can get plugged up easily). The tin had a hay-like aroma. The first third of the bowl or so was rather uninteresting (just some mild sweetness), but the more I smoked it, the more tobacco flavor came through--smokey with almost a bourbon flavor However, there was no real complexity about it--just a good honest Virginia flavor. I just found this tobacco to be a little monotonous after a while, and a little boring. I am partial to Orlik's Golden Sliced flake which, to me anyway, has more character with it's delightful citrusy tones. Would I smoke it again? Of course. Do I think others should give it a try? Of course. I am going to try blending it with some black Cavendish and maybe just a hint of Perique. I also think it would be nice to smoke this with some Latakia in the bowl to make it more interesting. I'm used to Dunhill Standard Mixture and Royal Yacht, so I get bored with plain-Jane Virginia tobaccos. Nevertheless, this is good stuff and I recommend it. Also, it has no bite, and that's always a good thing.

Katharsis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Katharsis (39)

Good straight Virginia. Lighter in flavor than say, FVF, but delicious. If FVF is the de facto standard for darker VAs, then I'd say this could be a standard for bright/golden VAs.

Nicely prepared flakes ~ 1"x3"x1/16" that are slightly moist right from the tin but have an inviting aroma. I didn't rub out and the inital lighting was a bit difficult but no relights required. A cool, naturally sweet VA smoke without condensation or bite. If I could find it in bulk, this would be a steady. Give it a try if you like straight VAs.

klong807 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
klong807 (1)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

I have to give this 4 stars. This is my first flake, so I have nothing to really compare it to. When I opened the tin, I got a nice fruity smell. For my packing method, I have a large bowl, so I folded one flake, then on top of that, I rubbed out another and packed it normally. At first, it wasn't so spectacular. No real flavor at all. But once the coal began to hit the folded portion at the bottom, I began to notice the flavor. It tasted almost as if I was smoking sugar cane. It tasted naturally sweet, like most Virginias seem to do. Although the flavor itself was not much to right home about, I knew that it was what pipe tobacco was supposed to taste like. It was like eating a really great bowl of mashed potatoes; nothing inherently special, but you can tell when it's done right. Great job, Dunhill.

nitekrawlr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nitekrawlr (26)

I normally purchase all my pipe tobacco and smoking needs on-line, as the price is considerably less. However, I caught myself short this time, in that my current order wouldn't be arriving for a couple of days.....and I was out of pipe tobacco. So I went to a local pipe & cigar shop, that had a fairly decent selection of tinned tobacco's....but the prices....WHEW. So I saw this 50g tin of Dunhill Flake for $19.95, and I thought.."Dunhill....it can't be bad." My normal favorite is MacBarens Navy Flake (still is), but this stuff is so good, I'm not sure whether to smoke it....or, eat it!! Nice, smooth, full flavored smoke, with absolutely no bite. This is some no-sh**, high quality Virginia. A little moist out of the tin, but light once, tamp it down, light again, and you're good to go.

Billy777 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Billy777 (14)

This benefits from quite a long drying out period before smoking, about an hour is good or 30 mins if you are in a room with air con. I found that it was better if rubbed out, rather than folding and stuffing. Gentle puffing is the way to get the most out of this blend; fast or hard smoking gives nothing.

It's not an amazing smoke, just a light, easy going one.

Update: this blend grows on you. The fact that it's so much lighter than most other blends means that I am beginning to find most other blends too thick and tarry, even Tudor Castle seems too heavy.

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)

I wanted to like this more, but...I guess I just need a bit more flavor in the Virginias I smoke. It's obviously a very high quality VA and for those looking for a mild to medium-flavored weed this is perfect. Flavors are there, just not in the proportions I like. Very grassy and hay-like in the tin, and also in the pipe, it could easily be an all day VA for those who like this genre. I'll age the rest of the tin and see what happens...

aviviljoen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aviviljoen (18)
Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

Heavenly. This is the best blend I've ever smoked.

It comes very neatly packed in a handy, reusable, rectangular tin with understated design. The flakes rub easily, and its good to let it dry for just a few minutes if the tin is new. Rubbed properly, it packs easily. I use a large bowl for this tobacco to let the flavours develop properly, and I pack it tightly.

The pipe lights very easily and you are ready to go within seconds. It burns consistently and effortlessly and produces white, even ash. This is pure, high quality tobacco, with nothing added. It smokes like a dream, and tastes the way top grade tobacco should.

I taste hay, maybe a hint of raisin and nut. The only sweetness here is the natural sweetness from the Virginia leaf, and it tastes just right. Leaves a pleasantly tangy and clean aftertaste in the mouth. Everything is perfectly balanced here: just strong enough, just enough nicotine. The room note is nothing spectacular, but it is certainly not unpleasant.

While writing this review, I am enjoying a bowl in my dedicated Savinelli Accademia 141, which is just right for this tobacco, with a glass of fresh apple juice. Almost anything could compliment this tobacco, especially whiskey, fresh ceylon tea with milk, or your favourite brand of bottled water.

To me, this is pipe smoker heaven. If I could afford it, this is the tobacco I would smoke 90% of the time. If you haven't tried this blend, you should. This is my all-time favourite pipe tobacco.

N7COF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
N7COF (56)

Based on previous reviews and my fondness of virginia tobaccos I just got seven tins of a tobacco I'm a bit disappointed in. Good quality, easy prep and behaves well but not terribly interesting -- a good all day smoke but doubt I'll order more.

Pipesrevisited Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipesrevisited (45)

The perfectly cut flakes look boring compared to the attractive wild variety of SG's flake presentations.  Seems a bit wet at first tin opening, but smoked great right away.

Taste nowhere spectacular, but friendly and complex enough to keep giving pleasure. Dare i say tart? Yes, in a good way. A nice companion when busy although I keep being nicely distracted to contemplate the taste of the baccy instead of the substance of my reading.

Clearly Dunhill Flake goes against my protestant upbringing that taught me that one has to suffer before reaping any reward. Smooth, sweet, fresh, complex and yet immediately smokeable right out of the tin, easy to load, easy to light, easy to smoke. Could this be true? I would never have believed it but Dunhill cracked it, highly recommended!

Relighting after a few hours rest, is not a pleasure, while this is absolutely not a problem with Best Brown.

Still Dunhill Flake went straight up in my favourites list.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

High quality Virginia blen, composed of mostly bright leaf. Hayey and mildly sweet. It burns evenly and with no tongue bite, providing a pleasant smoke anytime of the day. Very nice, but not quite on a par with FVF, Cut Virginia Plug or IRC Flake.

I was at JR Cigar today and spotted Dunhill Flake and purchased a tin. I am happy I did. The flakes were arranged neatly in a row with a tin note of hay-like Virginia. It folded and loaded very easily and took to the match without effort. The taste was perhaps one of the best straight Virginias I have ever smoked, and it wasn't at all hay-like in taste. It was spicy and had a raisiny presence. I couldn't detect any other flavors. If you like a straight Virginia with natural sweetness - and not over the top - Dunhill Flake is surely one way to go. It is sweeter and more flavorful for me than Pease's Union Square by way of comparison. Also, much better than FVF and BBF from Sam Gawith. A bit stingy if puffed on too fast, but one need not worry. There is enough flavor to satisfy with slow puffing. Not a hot smoke by any means. Really smokes best for me when near to brittle dry. A superior offering all the way around. Very nice DGT by the way.

adjman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
adjman (7)

For me as a new pipe smoker, this tobacco was a little strong at first, but now I find splitting a flake down the middle and carefully folding and packing that it smokes very nicely and gives me just the introduction to flake tobacco I was looking for!

meerkat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerkat (64)

I really don't want to be one of those pipe smokers who write prose poetry to the blends of the past and engage in much wailing and knashing of teeth at their demise.

We have lots of great tobaccos available now.

Dunhill Flake is a good tobacco. You should try it. If you like straight virginias you'll find much to admire here. It seems to offer the full plethora of flavours available to the virginia smoker.

That said...

I have done side by side comparisons of it with the last incarnation of the blend (Orlik and Murrays, respectively, I believe). This involved two identical and unghosted meerschaum lined billiards. The new version is almost identical to the older one. Almost. There seems to be somehow less flavour here. The experience is slightly thinner, flatter, less rich. There also seems to be a light casing (an attempt to replicate the exact flavour profile?). I don't want to overstate the differences, they are only slight and should not put you off smoking this wonderful (and, crucially, still available) tobacco. In the interests of fairness I should say that the differences experienced could be due to the effects of aging on the older blend and I am certainly intending to lay down some new tins for future enjoyment.

In conclusion, (Light) Flake was my favourite pure virginia flake, just beating Full Virginia Flake. The new version (Light Flake Lite?) probably comes in just behind FVF in my estimation but I'll still buy them both for their differing flavour profiles. DF is strong with plenty of body but has more brighter, fresher, sweet flavours as well; more lemony/grassy, bready, sweet hay, no florals. FVF is darker; more raisiny/toasted, hint of lakelands, more woodiness, slightly oily...

Happy smoking.

UPDATE...

The more I compare this with FVF the more I favour the Dunhill offering and the more my affection for the Samuel Gawith product wanes. This has more varied levels of complexity and refinement to the flavour and mouthfeel.

Bigdude007 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bigdude007 (3)

Apart from the initial problem of packing my pipe with this fine blend I have nothing but good things to say. Nice medium strength flake with a pleasant room note. A highly pleasant smoke

yinyang Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
yinyang (45)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

OK, this one was love at first puff. I've smoked enough to say that while the honeymoon is over, there still is reason for me to be in love. (This, as opposed to my marriage.)

Kidding(?) aside, Flake is a blend that doesn't bore me. A beautiful tin with beautiful flakes, it has a tin note and moisture level that says 'Good times ahead.' (Betcha this will age like a dream, too.) Vaguely similar to Orlik's Golden Sliced, I find DF to be superior, if only ever so slightly. Whereas OGS is a perky, citrusy mild VA (from start to finish), DF is a medium bodied VA with a wider range of notes. While not overly complex, DF does build in strength and flavor down the bowl, ending with a sweet baked bread taste that I can't rightly describe. Now, seeing as the reviews on the old production of (Light) Flake seem to echo my thoughts on the new version, I'm guessing I'm essentially smoking a faithful rendition of the original. Not that it matters, I suppose, but it is a nod to Dunhill for (finally...)being faithful to their loyal customer base. Seeing as I fully intend on stockpiling this one, I guess Dunhill can count me in as a loyal customer too. They best not muck it up...

Four stars for a new favorite.

PipesterJim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipesterJim (44)

I wasn't sure whether to put this review under 'Flake' or 'Light Flake'. They are essentially the same blend, but since this is what it's currently sold as it makes sense to record my thoughts here.

Well, Full Virginia Flake this ain't, but that isn't to say that it isn't clearly a high quality tobacco. All the flavours that I associate with a good VA are there at light up, and my only criticism really is that they don't seem to maintain down the bowl - things become a bit homogenous and flat, rather than building.

Nevertheless, it is a good smoke with good presentation, and a distinct plus for me is that it is the only genuine straight VA I can get locally without resorting to mail order tactics. I still prefer the Gawith offerings overall, but when I want something that sits squarely between Golden Glow and FVF in the strength department then this will be the one I go for.

I suspect that it would age very nicely, so laying down a tin or two might not be a bad plan.

Definitely worth a shot. For some folks this could be their ideal VA flake - Recommended.

BingCrosby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BingCrosby (48)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Quite simply put, and excellent flake.. This is the former light flake.. and it is well not exactly light but then again not strong a true medium smoke.. but the flavor complexity is what makes you really question the lightness.. there are plenty of beautiful moments to be had trying to figure out what you are tasting (which is not always possible but an interesting adventure nonetheless).. All of the virginia notes are here just as in full virginia flake.. it is just much more subdued.. the quality is immediately evident. Hard to light at times and keeping it lit can be a chore.. but this is a virginia afterall so you will want to take your time anyway. This is one of the best true virginia smokes i have tried so far.. I will age a tin for a year or two to fully appreciate it.

milos359 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
milos359 (4)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

I have been smoking for over 30+ years and there has been a lot of Virginia tobaccos in my pipes. I recently tried Dunhill Flake after CAO started importing it. WOW! With diligent rubbing and careful packing in a Meerschaum pipe I could not believe the range of flavors. I tasted all the varietals inherent in this blend and I did not blister my tongue. If you are new to pipes or a hard smoker I would stay away from this and all Virginia tobaccos as they will burn your tongue good. On the other hand if you are itching to try a Virginia and want to spend the $$ on Dunhill do try this. Flake could use a bit of drying and it most certainly will lend it self to being put away for a while in the cellar.

TOGaPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TOGaPipe (5)

Smells like a mix from every spectrum of virginias. From the bright golden/hay smell, the orange/red, and the darker tangy smell. VERY MOIST in the tin. After 15 minutes of drying it was still pretty moist. I rubbed out a small strip from a flake and it felt wet :/

I used the fold/stuff method. With a little more drying it would have packed much better. The taste also covered the full spectrum of virginias. Notes of hay and slight sweetness mixed with the buttery and leathery taste of the darker virginias. Nothing too surprising or extra special about this blend, just a great straight forward virginia. The "room note", which i experienced by smelling the bowl, was AMAZING! Reminded me of fresh baked bread and every flavor mentioned above! I could not stop smelling it, it was that good. Not much of a nicotine kick until the last 1/4 of the bowl i could feel the strength get a little more intense.

Definitely recommend this to anyone who likes virginias! Especially in the absence of FVF.

Dunhill flake . The unlit tobacco gives a full Virginia aroma with a certain "earthy" quality to it . The actual flakes are of a perfect thickness and moisture content to rub and fill with . The smoke is (as you expect) a full Virginia flavor and unless you "strain" the draw you get no bite . It is steady to smoke and burns very evenly .The room note is as you would expect from a full Virginia .Considering I favour Cavendish and Latakia I am surprised with my liking for this one ! If you like a straight Virginia then go for this !

Pipe Used: Falcon

Purchased From: Smoke King

Coltrain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coltrain (8)

Great tobacco. Probably one of the best straight virginias on the market. Would loved to have tried it in the old days on Dunhill. Must have been amazing. A must tobacco in my opinion.

Quaffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Quaffer (15)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

It is a decent blend, but there are many better viriginia's out there. This blend lacks complexity and I seem to detect a slight bit of flavoring added. I'll smoke it if I have it around, but I don't plan on buying more of this because there are just so many better choices of tobacco.

Age When Smoked: N/A

Similar Blends: Orlik Golden Sliced.

samantabhadra411 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
samantabhadra411 (6)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

A great Virginia blend, That is all it is, Virgina. If you like Virginia you'll love this. If you don't you'll either hate it or find it boring. No flavoring on it, Virginia is naturally sweet. Plenty of Nicotine, very flavorful despite its lack of complexity. Good.

Mild tongue bite on this one but good overall.

Tobacconists Aprentice Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tobacconists Aprentice (20)

A valued customer shared some of this with me the other day.

I'm not a huge flake fan as a rule finding them either rather too heavy or too banale and just not worth the time spent rubbing them out. I had also heard damning criticisms of Dunhill for meddling with their blends, so I was doubious to say the least.

This tobacco proved to be a different kettle of fish. The Tin-note was of mild figgy fruit and slightly tarry, nothing new there. but it rubbed out well and made a good fill lighting reasonably easily with 3 matches.

It was a very smooth smoke burning down to a clean grey ash with no dottle worth talking of. The taste was clean, that of an excellent virginia cigarette with a chocolate note and a slight spicy aftertaste. Very,very pleasant. The room note was clean and subdued with a slighlty vinus/chocolate smell. Unlike other flakes I tried it did not burn hot and bite towards the end of the pipe and the flavour was pretty consistant throughout.

A very clean-tasting, well-balanced flake. I will certainly smoke this again if I have the chance.