A full-bodied dark colored after dinner mixture. African Virginia and Turkish tobaccos with high amounts of Latakia.

BrandLondon Blend
Blended ByDan Tobacco
Strength
Taste
2.9
dallaspipehead Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dallaspipehead (12)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This fine english style mixture reminds me a lot of DT's Bill Bailey's Balkan Blend, being rather dry but it does not crumble. The moisture level, or lack thereof, convinces me that there is no casing or topping involved, be it alcoholic or otherwise. It also contains a good portion of fine latakia, which seems to be mellowed brilliantly by the subtle turkish and mild african virginias. The germans (Dan Tobacco in particular) seem to be quite capable of recreating the traditional tobacco styles of other cultures, and you know what they say: imitation is the highest form of compliment. I personally think that they deserve more credit and less condemning criticism. So they have taken over where many failing companies faltered- so what! More power to them! The bottom line is, they like pipe tobacco and so do I. Somebody has to make it, and they do it well consistently. Although I wouldn't argue that this was the best I'd ever tasted, it is an exeptional award winning blend. The flavor is mouthwatering, and contrary to the belief that it is a good after-dinner smoke, I find it to be a powerful appetizer. The only other blend that I can think is capable of inspiring such a ravenous hunger would be Mac Baren's Plumcake. London Blend #1000 is a perfect afternoon smoke in the gloomy November weather. So the cold rain is coming down in sheets and the landscape is drab and waterlogged. When I stuff my antique meerschaum billiard with this heady delight, my seasonal woes seem to melt away. Keep up the good work, Dan Tobacco!

L'Italiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
L'Italiano (35)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Without any doubt a pretty good quality. Classic english mixture, it isn't a kick ass blend, but it is tasty and it doesn't cloy. An all day smoke, with a big ammount of Latakia. For english mixtures' lovers. In my personal system rating (from 1 to 10) my score i 7 and two stars.

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (100)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I picked up a 14-buck sack of this pleasant English recently when I was wantonly adding this and that to a big order. Caught up in the spirit of SCHIP I was, despite the negligible increases it promises. The nice thing is that the buying fury SCHIP has inspired may provide a second life to nice but forgettable blends like this. (Hey. I'm Canadian. I know all about nice and forgettable.)

There is absolutely nothing special about this straightforward English blend. It smells like the first-riser's first morning of a camping trip. The grey fire pit, after some rooting around, yields a little orange ember to start up the new day's blaze, the bacon starts to sizzle, the day is all sweetness and smoke. Standard Latakia + Virginia English fare. It smokes cool (though these Virginias seem a little more heavily cased than most and can be a little tongue nippy), produces lots of smoke, and it burns like a charm.

I'm going to smoke the rest of these 8 ounces with pleasure and then, I suspect, I'll never give it a second thought. It has that strange quality about it for some reason. If it were the only English available, I'd be content. If I never smoke it again, I'll also be content.

Ah, but who knows. Maybe the right pipe or the right bevvy or the right mood will lift this blend above the big crowd of nothing-special but perfectly enjoyable English blends.

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (111)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Tolerable

Ok this is as good as Dunhill's London Blend use to be. An enjoyable English Blend no matter where was made. A good amount of latakia mixed with just the right portion of Orientasl. The Virgina keeps this blend from getting to out of control while smoking. This is a full English blend but to over powering for the novice English Smoker. Good stuff!!!!!!!! Packs easy and lites quick.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is a beautiful tobacco blend. It has the body of a t-bone steak and a very good balance for a strong latakia blend. The African Virginia's give an almost sweet and creamy note to the blend and the Turkish tobaccos cool the mixture down from getting out of control. I would not smoke this blend often in the summer, too full but boy is it nice at other times.

furious Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
furious (29)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

Full English as its moniker implies. Does not disappoint in the flavor department with latakia decidedly in the forefront. Smoky, spicy, chewy, and dense flavors abound. I usually don't migrate to latakia-heavy blends, but this one is special. Great Va. and Turkish leaf tone down the lat just enough to make the blend work.

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

With the reduced number of Timm's London Blend blends available, I thought it high time I tested the only "full" English offering left in the line.

Opening the tin, I realise I have so far cheated myself: this is a Lat bomb in the best sense of the term. Full, salty, smoky, sweet tin aroma, with spice from the Turkish (yes, it's in there...)

For an English, the leaf is a little moist out of the tin, but only a short drying time in the bowl takes care of that. 1000 will take to the match nicely and burn down without any intermissions, albeit slowly, with a good solid flavour and sweetness and strength that I otherwise associate with the likes of Bill Bayley's Balkan Blend or Sam Gawith's Balkan Flake (though the latter is not really a Balkan). It comes over as a much more civilised blend; if you like the heavy Lat notes of, say, Holly's Discovery, you will not be disappointed, but the Orientals turn it into something pretty special; I would classify it as a full, deep Balkan blend.

For me, once more, Dan Tobacco have put out a classic in the genre of the Full Lat Bomb, which they seem to be one of the few masters of. I am still in love with it after half a 100 g tin; I may order in bulk in the future.

Note 2012-08-20: ordered two bulk packages since, still in love. My favourite Lat bomb by a fair margin.

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: Fresh from new tin

Purchased From: Dan Tobacco

Similar Blends: Bill Bailey's Balkan Blend, CAO Old Ironsides.

solafide Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
solafide (1)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This blend was recommended to me by a tobacconist in Santa Monica. I was asking for his recommendation on a full-bodied English. After I described what I was looking for, he put some tins on the counter and this was one of them. I didn't open the 100g tin for over a year. It just sat on my shelf. Then one day as I was nearing the end of another English tin I popped it open and packed an old Savinelli Autograph. I was very impressed.

It has been said that this blend is nothing special. I disagree. I think this blend is very special as an English because it has complexity, strength, full-flavor, traditional English characteristics, as well as some of the most interesting notes I've had in an English. The blend is balanced nicely with the Africans and Turkish, producing almost sour, vinegar-like flavors that compliment the salty latakia. Through the nose I detected classic latakia and some kind of green olive, again, one of the more interesting blends.

If you're interested in English blends, I don't think you'll be disappointed unless you're looking for something with truly full body and taste.

LaneCenturion Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LaneCenturion (11)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

Delicious. Has the flavor you'd expect from any English-style tobacco, strong and dry. This stuff was outrageously expensive, but was well worth it, as the can will easily last me several months. I noticed the can at a cigar store, so I went home and started searching reviews. Seeing that this blend included African tobacco, I had to try it. In my experience, anything with a bit of African tobacco in it is normally delicious.

Go Africa, go London. Definitely recommend this one.

RM Bittner's review says it all. A good solid mixture that doesn't need to be rushed. Big and beautiful, I highly recommend it.

RMBittner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RMBittner (66)

Review based on a 2008 8oz bag, opened 3/10/10.

I am dismayed at the low ratings this blend has received from some reviewers. It is a high-quality, latakia-forward English -- with NO added casings/flavorings/sweetening of any kind, despite what some here have noted -- that delivers a wonderfully rich, consistent, and satisfying smoke.

I should note that I prefer English blends that put the Virginias a little bit in the background; too much in the background, and you start to move into Balkan territory. . . too little, though, and I lose the smokey oriental aromas and flavors that help to make an English an English. So I look for balance.

Dan Tobacco's mixture delivers beautifully. For me, it helps that the Virginias being used are African; they naturally have a darker flavor that helps them sit nicely in the mix.

For me, this is a fine example of a standard English blend, and I highly recommend it as such.

Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

A very nice German take on EMs! This is an excellent tobacco, very "traditional" in cut and feel but with something different from your average latakia blend. The difference lies in the Virginias, probably from African crops, which impart a weird but pleasant toasty sweetness. A healthy dose of latakia and orientals completes the picture. A good, tasty blend: it comes at right moisture level in the tin (weird, for a German blend), burns fine (thanks to the coarse but balanced cut) and is very satisfying. It may lack some body compared to some classic English mixtures, but other than that I would recommend it to anyone.

2008 Update: Well, the last couple of tins was a bit disappointing. It clearly looks like they are striving to do some money saving here, already from the tin: no longer a metal strap lid, but an aluminum foil to be peeled off (bad for long time aging). It still is a very nice tobacco, but it has lost something in terms of Latakia fragrance and nutty-earthy Virginia flavour. It has become a simpler, duller, more monochromatic smoke. Still very decent and, as English blends nowadays go, quite enjoyable and balanced (better, for example, than the abominations under the Dunhill label). But I feel cheated nonetheless, as it used to be so much better. My rating has been downgraded to "Somewhat recommended" from "Recommended" accordingly...

petersonsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
petersonsmoker (9)

This is a nice late night smokey tobacco which is best smoked in large diameter pipes. It doesn't seem very popular but I think it is worth the price ($15) I pay for it. It does not bite and is full of leathery latakia and quality Virginias. Give it a try! Better than, but similar to, Dunhill middle strength English blends except of course 965 which contains cavendish.

Upgrading my rating of this tobacco. Blend stays consistent from tin to tin. A lot of complexity, becoming my regular English.

Ben Rich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ben Rich (34)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Very Pleasant

This is a very good blend; I've gone through almost a pound of No. 1000 in a variety of pipes and it has always delivered a good smoke. It was my enjoyment of Dan Tobaccos Bill Bailey's Balkan Blend that led me to give this blend a try and it has not disappointed me. I would say it is a little more "full" than BBBB; perhaps a little more astringent and not quite as sweet. It's moisture level has always been just right out of the mylar bag; it burns and behaves very well, does not bite and leaves clean dry ash when you get to the bottom of the bowl. There is just a hint of an elusive taste or essence that I have not been able to pin down; it reminds me of Samuel Gawith's Perfection. Perhaps it's vanilla? Whatever it is, it provides this blend a uniqueness lacking in a lot of English Mixtures. Highly recommended.

dualkarnain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dualkarnain (74)

I'm enjoying this mellow latakia-heavy blend which tastes as if it sourced from Syria. It canjoles, not rakes and it has an aura around the latakia taste that runs deeper than most, albeit it is still non-raping.

This is like an orientally upped pirate cake with subdued latakia.

Recommended.

Images evoked include an amputated elf using a proesthetic burnt log to run the Elves with Disabilities olympics.

Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

Compared to other German attempts at English mixtures this is certainly a good one. It has it all: a decent deepness, some nicotine punch, it is nicely balanced towards the latakia and oriental components, a perfect cut and a fine burning... So, where's the problem? The problem is that this blend is heavily cased, though not flavoured in a strict sense. You can clearly detect an alcoholic background note and I tasted a strong plastic note, probably due to the excess of casing agents.

Mr.Vince Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr.Vince (11)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend was a bit of a disapointment for me, a lesson in not buildig up expectations. It has all the right stuff on paper, but the execution is a dud. The casing is the let down, in my opinion, masking the natural flavors of the tobaccos in the blend. this could be a nice mild oriental instead of a failed aromatic.

Lochinvar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lochinvar (71)

This used to be one of my favorite blends. It was a great strong and unigue English, much akin to the Rattray, Cotton, & Sobranie mixtures. Recently it was changed, and now it..uh..sucks. It would seem that they let the leaf quality fall substantially, and may have even changed varietals of Oriental leaf. The persistent exotic flavor the Izmir used to infuse this blend with was gone, replaced with a rather bland Camel taste. The Latakia went from dry and rich tasting to a steamy, weak, 3rd class cyprian type (the kind usually reserved for keeping bugs out of the garden). All in all, this is took a huge dive and I will not waste further pipe time on it.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)

This is a very unusual tobacco. The flavors I pulled out of it were light latakia, marijuana and rose water. Don't fret, for like Bill Clinton, I never inhaled. At first I didn't like or understand this mixture, but as you get down the bowl, it's an intriguing blend, and it leaves a pleasant aroma in the room. I don't think I'd want this all the time, but every once in awhile, when I'm in one of my blue light and psychedelic be-in moods, this might work. If you've ever eaten east Indian food, it's almost like putting a drop of latakia inside of a rose milk lassi. Yeah, I know: weird!

Two of five stars

I just got this in bulk from the Briar Patch in California and it is good!An aromatic English,my guess is the slight topping is vanilla.It is very similar to Pipemaker's Choice from Wilke.It burns very cool and has a wonderful Turkish -Latakia flavor to it.Better as an all day smoke,it isn't quite full enough for after dinner.It is slightly aromatic ,but not at all sweet. An excellent change of pace.

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This is a great outdoors tobacco. With it's smooth and sweet delivery this makes for a wonderful all day tobacco. It stays rich and heavy but doesn't ever get overwhelming. It's too bad that they are discontinuing this in the states, I went down and bought the last tin my tobaccanist had on stock. The cost is a little high but worth it. This blend needs to be dried out just a tad, however this is the only bad thing I can think to say about it. The cut lends itself to easy packing and it stays lit well. Hurry and get some before you have to import it!

UPDATE I had to come back and lower my rating after opening up a recently bought tin of this. I believe they have drastically lowered the quality of leaf in this blend and it is a d@#$mn shame! It now tastes like an out of control fireball. I will not buy it again.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

This is another "english" type blend among the legion. Upon opening the tin(which is too pricey IMO) you are greeted with short broad ribbons of the light, medium, and dark colors typical of this type of blend. This one seems to have a topping of some sort, I can't seem to put my finger on it, but it sure reminds me of "liquid smoke" flavoring you can put on your steaks(perish the thought!). Anyway, on to the flame. Packing is easy, lighting is fairly easy. Initial flavor is of a typical smooth english. Nothing fancy, but good for an all day smoke. Because it is so smooth, you can finish the tin very quickly, at least I did. Flavor is consistent all the way down the bowl. Ash is grey and dry, no dottle detected. This blend seems to be in the flavor category of "Old Dog", "Frog Morton", "Latakia #1", etc... Overall, this is a good intro to "English" blends, no tongue-bite, but due to its price, there are others that I would recommend first. Rating 3 out of 5 points. Enjoy...

BriarLaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarLaw (85)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

This was a weird experience for me. I loved the initial taste and loved the smell. Rich, dark, smokey and just a little sweet. Easy to pack and easy to keep lit. At first I thought I had found another favorite.

Then it hit me. This tobacco left an off/unpleasant aftertaste in my mouth. In some ways, it was like I had just smoked a bowl of some goopy sugar-coated drug store tobacco. You know . . . the kind that no longer looks like natural tobacco but some semi-translucent perma-moist stuff that will last forever. In all seriousness, it's almost as if the tobacco was cased. Strange because the tobacco smoke is not really sweet like it was cased, it's just that after I finished the bowl, it sure seemed like it was. Very odd and I can't explain it.

But for the aftertaste, I would keep this around.

Rev. Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rev. Smoke (18)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

If you want a Latakia blend that is smooth and tasty, reach for this. It isn't overwhelming and delivers a nice, satisfying smoke. It even has a fairly decent room note to it.

I like the balance of the sweet, nutty, and smoky.

Too bad the price is so bloody exorbitant, I might stock up on some.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

Dan Tobacco is to be commended for the many truly fine tobacco blends we have available to us on the market today, including Timms London 1000.

This heady brew contains a moderate amount of high quality latakia and sumptuous Turkish leaf that combine with the Virginia base to make this one really shine.

There are many fine English blends on the market today, but to find one with this much strength is rare.

pokrsmokr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pokrsmokr (32)
Medium None Detected Very Full Strong

Another incredible blend from Dan Tobacco, London Blend #1000 delivers the goods. A very full English blend with enough latakia to make any wife scream. Despite the heavy load of latakia (which is more evident in the aromas, both tin and room) the other component tobaccos hold their own rather wll and #1000 is surprisingly balanced. It is definitely full, very rich and luxurious. To quote many reviewers, this tobacco is a symphony of flavors which tantalize as well as satisfy. This is also a favorite winter smoke of mine. There is nothing like sitting by a burning fireplace reading a book, or listening to some Bill Evans, with a large pipe filled with #1000; as whiffs of the powerful smoke bellow from the bowl. Life is good.