Cornell & Diehl pays tribute to our African-American sailors with a flavorful blend dedicated to the crew of the Mason, the first US Navy ship in WWII manned by an all black enlisted crew. A combination of Virginias and Burley with a touch of Latakia and Perique topped off with a sprinkle of Brandy for room note.

Blended ByChris Tarler
Blend TypeOther
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Perique, Virginia
FlavoringBrandy
Packaging2 oz tin.
Strength
Mild, Medium
Taste
Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium, Medium to Full, Full

3.4
CoolPilot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoolPilot (65)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

The scent out of the tin is exactly the same you find in the C&D Afterhours : rum in that case, brandy they say in the USS Mason. So let's call it Brum. I like the C&D Brum flavour. The USS Mason is just great for me. Perique is here. Latakia is somewhere else, with the brandy maybe. But nevertheless, the smoke is excellent, just excellent to me. Loving the VaPer stuff like Dunhill DeLuxe Navy rolls, this is similar in taste, but with addictional Brum flavour. Burns out to ashes, leaving nothing to clean. Super. Now, if someone at C&D can explain where has the latakia gone..

nitekrawlr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nitekrawlr (26)
Medium Very Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Well, I'm glad the previous reviewers liked this mixture, and I, in no way wish to diminish their take, on this smoke. My take, is a bit less enthusiastic. The first smell upon opening the tin, is that burnt rubber smell of Latakia. This stuff smells, and tastes like perfume....cheap perfume. I discovered, that if you leave the tin open for 2 or 3 days, to air dry, it will eliminate, most, of the perfume "stank", and then, you're left with a rather strong Burley, but smokable. On the "plus" side, my wife likes the "smell", so maybe I'll give it to her, and she can huff it, straight out of the tin. This stuff, is an insult to my garbage can.

Judge Adams Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Judge Adams (16)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

What a delightful blend! This ought to please aromatic and non-aromatic smokers alike. It has a very light touch of flavoring to create a nice room note, but the taste is all fine tobacco--essentially a light American-English. The many components (virginia, burley, latakia and perique) work together to produce a surprisingly complex pipe experience for such a smooth smoke. It is much closer to the original Revelation than the C & D Epiphany blend. It has the promise of being a successful everyday favorite. Great job!

Coyote Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coyote (7)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Very burley. I smoke a lot of burley and I like it. This is a quality burley. The taste is very nut-like and it's a little astringent like walnuts, not sweet like almonds. It's got a very slight sweet taste of the VA's and the Latakia and Perique were very subdued. The room note was quite nice, very little Lat or Perique. The brandy adds to the room note but I didn't taste it in the smoke. And that's comparing this to Barbary Coast that has a 'splash of brandy' and I can taste that in my mouth as well as smell it in the room note. This is a very good tobacco, mild, no bite what so ever. You can definitely taste the burley but it's a nice high quality burley taste.

Captain bob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain bob (38)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

This delightful new blend reminds me a lot of another very popular C&D blend named Epiphany. If you enjoy Epiphany, you will enjoy U.S.S. Mason.

Light brown in color, coarse cut and perfect moisture for an easy pack and light. One light and I can enjoy this blend for an hour. Very smooth, comfortable and appealing. A very enjoyable smoke.

Don't let the reference in the description to Latakia, Perique or Brandy flavor scare you off or you will miss an exceptional experience of pleasurable pipe smoking. The elements of Latakia, Perique and Brandy flavor do not stand out. Rather, they combine with the Virginia and Burley to deliver a well married tobacco flavor with just the very slightest touch of sweetness.

I reserve the four-star rating for only those blends that are truly exceptional and that I will smoke again and again.