Captain Earle's Stimulus Package is a true delight for lovers of Latakia. Rich and full bodied, Stimulus Package is pressed to deliver a perfectly balanced blend to the true aficionado of full English tobaccos.

BrandHermit
Blended ByCornell & Diehl
CutKrumble Kake
Packaging2oz Tin
Strength
Taste
Medium to Full, Full
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable

3.6
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

Stimulus Package from Hermit's Captain Earl's series greets the nose with the usual Latakia forward scent that is similar to the many of the other blends that I have tried in the series. The cake breaks apart with ease and reveals a nice smattering of light and dark chopped ribbons supporting the Latakia. The smoke from SP burns cool and while I wouldn't call it complex, I find it more interesting than the others that I have tried. The supporting tobaccos, for me, extend themselves a bit more, broadening the wonderful flavors. I would call SP a full tasting blend, but not strong in the nicotine department. Having smoked Ten Russians, Private Stock, and Mystic, Stimulus Package is my favorite thus far. If you are a fan of full flavored Latakia blends, this should be on the short list.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Wow, what a find ! The plug is easy to work with; if you first pull it in half thickness wise, then slice it in 3/8 inch wide cuts and rub it out. As you do this, you will have no problem determining that this blend has Latakia in it, you should be able to smell it from 6 feet away, nice.

I tried this back to back with JLP's Odyssey and they are similar but SP I like better ,which is pretty high praise. There is a full flavor blast that stays the whole bowl, powerful but smooth and no bite. What I especially like about this blend is an absence of "Burley Bitters" that I find in many similar blends. I like this blend the most of all the Capt. Earl blends.

One word of caution, after rubbing , take some additional time to further rub out the "Little nuggets" that remain. Otherwise you will have problems with the burn and will require many relights.

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: 1 month open

Similar Blends: Odyssey, Pirate Kake, Quite Nights.

How can there only be 7 reviews on this masterpiece? Maybe we should keep this to ourselves, eh? I'll just keep this short then. This crumble cake is about as well balanced as you can get it. It just doesn't get any better than this. If you are a true lover of English blends you will, without a doubt, enjoy this one.

Pipe Used: MM General

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Now this is a tobacco that I can get behind. Jay and Louise are wonderful people and I try not to let that get in the way of my objective reviews of their tobacco... The blend is packed into cakes and upon opening the tin you are confronted by bricks of Latakia latent tobaccos (yummy). The blend was entirely too wet when initially opened but after a day or so of drying out it became very easy to smoke. The blend reminds me very much of Pirate Kake, but with a twist. It seems the mild Virginia and Oriental tobaccos of Pirate Kake were replaced with fragrant rich and delightful tobaccos. This blend has officially replaced Pirate Kake in my typical rotation.

Tripjoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tripjoker (64)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

This was sent by mistake as part of an order that I got last week. When reaching for 3 tins of Honor Blend, they must have had a tin of Stimulus Package in the pile. The labels are dangerously close in color and design. Instead of throwing a fit, as I am apt to do, I decided to keep it and try it out. I never would have ordered it, but I like English blends, so...

The brick is dark and dense with a heady Latakia fragrance. It breaks apart easily and rubs out well with a minimum of dust. A little bit too moist for me from the tin, so I rubbed it all out and loaded it into a mason jar to place on my tobacco cabinet. I laid out a pipe full to smoke later.

Packed well and took to match better than expected for a Latakia heavy blend. (The smoking fires they use to cure this stuff tends to reduce it's combustion characteristics.) Only had one relight and no bite whatsoever. The smoke volume was a bit low, but the flavor was full. Definately a Latakia bomb with a velvet glove. The effect is so smooth and gentle that you forget how much Lat is in this. The Orientals are very good and keep perfect time with the Lat and Virginia.

Flavors are very typical of a full English blend. A well done one at that. Nothing too remarkable, just really good smoking. One wonders what a little Yenidje would do for this. I can say that I will not be buying more because I have way too many English tins in the cellar to add another label to the mix. But, if anyone is on the fence about this one, rest assured that it will be a pleasurable experience if you try it. Assuming of course that you like English blends to start with.

Cheers!

Based on about 4 oz sample from a friend. Brick of mostly dark tobacco, easily broken apart for rubbing and loading. A vigorous rub is desired in order to ensure the plug will burn properly.

I'm generally not a fan of "lat bombs", as I find them too monodimensional and lacking in balance. This one escapes that issue, once I hit about the 1/3 bowl mark. It starts out kind of ashy tasting but once it hits the zone, the mellow Virginia and the orientals come out and play. They help to balance the smoke and provide some sweetness along with a little brightness to offset the latakia's darker character. I'm not sure the latakia percentage but I'd guess it's at plus 50%. It always rules the roost, as this is latakia-forward, backward and sideways. But it does become more subdued and balanced as the bowl progresses. Seemed fairly light on the nicotine, but definitely leaning towards full flavored. Certainly not a complex blend but not exactly a one-trick pony, either. Probably one of the finest "lat bomb" tobaccos I've tried, but again, I'm not really a fan of them. If you're looking for just latakia, look elsewhere. But if you want a light touch of basics with your condiments, give this a try.

Pipe Used: meerschaum and morta

puro66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puro66 (73)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

This is a very tasty, rich and full latakia blend with very low nicotine( that will bother some but it's a big plus for me.) If you want a big latakia blend this is the one to go for. A bit like Star of the East Flake but a tad smoother.

Don't hesitate to try.

pipelovingcalvinist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipelovingcalvinist (68)

Certainly a strong latakia blend. Full, rich, with some creaminess. This tobacco hits the spot when you are in need of a latakia fix. The only drawback I find with this blend is its lack of complexity. This isn't an everyday smoke for me, but when my taste buds are calling for some strong latakia this tobacco is sure to please.

Soli Deo gloria.

porshcigar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
porshcigar (27)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Another great blend from the Hermit Tobacco Works. Plenty of Latakia for those of us who love it. Not overwhelming. It lights well, smokes cool and evenly, and ends well. It delivers a very satisfying smoke.

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Another one excellent blend from fine serie of Captain Earle's. Burns well, gives pleasant sensation and it matches at evety time of day.

My rate: 5.0

double-comfort Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
double-comfort (1)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I normally only smoke Latakia blends, so when a new one comes along, I am always interested. I normally don't try a great number of new blends, since I have many already in my rotation. That coupled with the fact that I am not normally a fan of tinnings by Cornell & Diehl, made this tobacco a surprise. I first tried it at the 2010 Richmond show and immediately liked it. I bought the last tin that Jay & Louise had at the show. Since then I have been able to get an additional tin. I am not sure if this tobacco will be added to my normal rotation, but I am sure I will be buying more of it, it is very enjoyable.

The pressed cake is very easy to break-up, it lights easily, and burns very consistently, all the way to a nice ash.