Mixture of Oriental, Latakia, and Red Virginia.

Blended ByCarl McCallister
Packaging1.5 oz tin.

Visit company website

Strength
Taste

halpuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
halpuff (9)

I was recently gifted a tin of Bosphorous Cruise and found it to be quite good, right up there with Balkan Saseini and the new Balkan Sobraine. I would classify this as a Balkan rather than an English because of the orientals that are obviously present. I found it to be a nice medium weight with the orientals slightly forward of the red virginia most of the time and with the latakia hovering in the background. It was very smooth and a nicely balanced blend with all three coming forward at various times throughout the bowl and somewhat comlex. It is definitely not a lat bomb with just enough to make it interesting. Burned nice and cool with a nice fine gray ash to the bottom of the bowl. It has a nice tin note and nose while smoking. Can't determine room note since I only smoke outside. Highly recommended!

Pipe Used: GBD Billiard

Age When Smoked: New tin

Purchased From: Received as a gift

Similar Blends: Balkan Saseini and the new Balkan Sobraine.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A well balanced mild to medium smooth English with every ingredient tastefully present. The Virginia is naturally sweet and the Orientals add nice spicy notes to your palate. The latakia is smokey as you would expect, but it doesn't overpower the other elements. Sutliff knows their English blends and make a number of them with different strength levels. How much you like them depends upon your proclivity for latakia. This is for those who want a decent latakia hit without being bowled over by its presence.

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (93)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

What a sleeper blend this is! At my first light of Bosphorus Cruise I knew I had tasted something very similar before. It did not take long to recognize C&D's Star of the East taste profile here, but with considerably finer, more civilized behavior.

In short this blend is remarkably conceived and is every bit a quality product as anything from McClelland or C&D and certainly anything from STG.

Very similar components to SOTE in here: Red Virginia, Latakia, and other Orientals. The proportions are slightly different as is the Orientals used themselves. The SOTE has a kiss of Izmir where BC has a very well done blend of high quality Orientals in greater quantity. SOTE has 50% Latakia, BC less, but BC has more Orientals less Red Virginia. All in all, for me, where I can only handle a single bowl of SOTE in a day due to it's heaviness and very potent nicotine content (from it's greater VA content), I can smoke BC as an all day blend without fear of a nicotine haze or hiccups.

Like SOTE BC has a tasty aftertaste and a short finish, which is good.

I cannot fault this blend in any way except finding my tin to be dry, almost needing added moisture immediately. This makes me hesitant to stock in quantity unless I open and re-jar the whole lot.

I will definitely be ordering more; reloading it right now. Well done.

Easy 4 stars.

Pipe Used: Briars - large billiards

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Similar Blends: Cornell & Diehl - 066: Star of the East.

Mild to Medium None Detected Very Mild Very Pleasant

Blind test blend #2 - 5 bowls worth. Interesting looking with kind of a reddish hue to it. Bag aroma was of some of the juiciest orientals I've ever smelled. Almost made me want to eat it. But common sense came back and I fired it up. It leaned in the direction of "balkan" with the orientals out front and the latakia next in line. Tasted like mostly red virginia for the base.

The problem with this one was the flavor didn't match the aroma's power. I liked what flavor there was but it was just too faint, too bland. I'm not sure how they were able to make it smell so potent and taste so mild. I guess I conclude that it's more of a "beginners balkan" to start someone off slowly on their way to the pleasures that genre affords. I wasn't really aware that Sutliff made latakia blends, so I leaned more towards Peter Stokkebye, but wasn't really comfortable with that guess, either. This is a perfectly serviceable mild balkan but it failed to excite me. Worth a try if you're starting out with latakia and orientals or if you simply want a very laid-back version, perhaps for early mornings. No objective faults with this one - it just didn't have enough going on for my tastes.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum

This is a very pleasant medium/mild English blend. The components work well, and the foundation is a sweet red Virginia. I don't detect any topping. The tin note is slightly sour. The orientals and the latakia are nicely balanced and are always present but never the defining flavor. The bias is on the latakia end of things.

This blend is good but not astonishingly good. There are a lot of options in the "English" category, and competition is tough. The price point here is excellent, and I would recommend it to anyone interested in this genre. I am not likely to buy more, but if I got an 8 oz tin at Christmas, I would smoke it every day until it was gone.

rekamepip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rekamepip (63)

Tin Notes: Light to medium smokey aroma an all tobacco smell Good Cut and Leaf Selection Good Moisture content

Smoking: A Mild English Style, The Orientals and Latakia tobaccos are mild The Red Viginian Leaf offers a slightly sweet taste which is good but you may get what others call a grassy hay taste i would describe it as an almost immature/ not finished taste from the viginians

All together the tobacco blend smoked well, tasted good and has a good flavor profile but at time was slightly bland

Room Note: Good for the person smoking - not so good for second hand

Overall My 5 Star Rating = 3

Pipe Used: Rock Cob, Corn Cob, Clay and Briar

Dr. G Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. G (12)

As a relatively infrequent latakia smoker, I am really quite sensitive to its presence in most blends - a nice bonus as I really like it properly woven into the fabric of a well-executed blend. Such is the case with Bosphorus Cruise. Its presence is readily apparent (to my sensitive tastes) in the tin note and on the charring light. This is really my only significant point of divergence with the excellent review by pjorge1036. The spiciness of the oriental is also forward in the blend. Half way through the bowl the sweetness of the VA starts to chime in and from there to the finish line, there is a nice menage et trois between the constituents of this well- formed blend. For an inexpensive blend, the good quality of the tobacco is apparent. The appearance of the blend in the tin is impressive in its contrast. Room note is unobtrusive but not kudos-worthy. Nic content is acceptable for my insanely high requirement. All elements are detectable throughout the last half of the bowl but no one does the heavy lifting. All in all a nice, balanced and affordable blend. Recommended

pjorge1036 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pjorge1036 (2)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

At first I found the blend to be lacking flavor and punch. For the first minute of the smoke I couldn't even feel the presence of the Latakia.

After that this started to change slowly and I started picking up some of the smokiness and even a subtle leathery flavor associated with Latakia. At this point the spicy orientals also started letting their presence be known but it wasn't until I was halfway through the bowl that the big changes came. That's when all the flavors started to concentrate and develop a little complexity.

Earthy, smoky and peppery this turned out to be a satisfying smoke although, it took a while to get there. Definitely not the best in its class but a good smoke for the price.

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (109)

A bit more Latakia and Oriental forward than Berkshire. Good components and blending, without the annoying topping. Burns smooth and cool. Once into the bowl, the Virginia sweetness comes out a bit more, helping round out the overall flavor profile. Very good blend. 3+.

Pipe Used: Willmer 35+ years old, MM

Age When Smoked: Unknown; at least 3 months.

Purchased From: CI

bluemonk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bluemonk (6)
Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I love Bosphorus Cruise. It has a unique character. It was one of my first tobaccos I bought, and just recently found a tin at a cigar shop, I unhesitatingly leapt for it. This is like gold to me, I think we should all have a tobacco like that. Upon comparing it with some Frog Mortons, they are very similar in tin aroma. But upon smoking it, they don't compare at all, they are both very different. I recommend giving Bosphorus Cruise a try. It's one thing to read reviews but it's another to try it for yourself. Something that received negative reviews might turn out to be your favorite tobacco if you just try it, and vice versa. Something that received high praise might not be that good to you. So strike me a match and let's go pipes a blazin!

Peppino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peppino (74)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Wow! Bought on a whim, I liked the packaging and it had everything I like. It lights easy and has a full flavor, it holds it's flavor through the bowl. Smokes dry with a nice gray ash, liked it so much I bought six tins to age for awhile. Excellent

berserker336 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
berserker336 (1)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Bought this from my local tinderbox on an employees recommendation. must say I am quite happy with this blend. The flavour is complex yet subtle with a leathery/peppery overtone as provided by the modest amount of latakia. seems to burn a tad on the hot side, but that may just be the way I'm packing it. Has an after-taste of walnuts and peppercorns which I find very pleasant.

NA Morrison Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NA Morrison (32)

I got a tin of this free from my favourite tobacco store and was blown away by how great it is. I am a fan of regular frog morton and found this to be on the same level. I really cant find any thing bad to say about it. Smokes very cool and has no bite and has a very great latika flavor as well definately recomend to everyone.

Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

I got a free tin of this at he Chicago Pipe Show and was genuinely and happily surprised! Upon opening the tin you get a strong scent of Latakia. This blend has an almost McClelland type smell to it. First light brings instant pleasure. The Orientals are quite prominent,followed by luscious high grade latakia and sweet virginias. I was actally shocked tht this was an Altadis product. Far superior to most bulk blends and on par with many expensive tinned blends. If you like Artisan's Blend or Tashkent but cannot readily find them this, is a good substitute. Very much recommended for the heavy English crowd.

constantsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
constantsmoker (61)

This is one of the better Altadis/Sutliffe offerings. A solid Balkan/English/whatever entry. A tasty smoke, room note that the girl friend likes and, most importantly, the Latakia makes its presence known, interplaying nicely with the Virginia and Oriental components. Indeed, a pleasant surprise that compares well to some of the more pricier blends of this type. Recommended.

Oneill1972 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Oneill1972 (2)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I've been smoking a pipe for roughly 2 years now and I've only recently started experimenting with different types of tobacco. I started with aromatics for my wife's sake but I was never satisfied with the over-all taste, especially towards the end of the bowl.

Bosphorus Cruise is the 3rd English Blend that I've tried and my favorite so far. It starts out mild but if you smoke it slowly it definitely picks up flavor. As you get towards the middle of the bowl you can definitely start tasting the Oriental and the Latakia is present throughout the smoke which gives you a nice smooth smoke.

Overall I would consider recommending this to anyone who likes a mild English Blend and this is good for beginners like me.