Rich Barbados Rum applied to a base of Burley, Virginia, and Black Cavendish.

Blended ByCarl McCallister

3.4
beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (100)
Very Mild Very Strong Medium Pleasant

If we are to believe the historians, rum flavored tobaccos may be one of the earliest forms of pipe tobacco as the development of the Caribbean colonies, the planting of sugar cane brought from the Canaries, the horror of the “triangular trade,” the distillation of molasses into rum, and the mass production of clay pipes are all roughly coincidental: the late 16th to the mid-17th century. The men of the ships, so the story goes, would store their ropes of tobacco in used rum barrels and perhaps give them a little rum soaking both for flavor and to keep the bugs at bay.

I grabbed a couple tins of Barbados Plantation a few years ago at a pipe show. Sutliff, as the company often does, was offering tins of most of their blends as free samples. I opened the first of those tins a few weeks after the show and wasn't very impressed. What I found was a sopping wet mixture dominated by Black Cavendish with an intense, somewhat artificial rum aroma—far more intense than any other rum-spiked blend I'd ever had. Barbados Plantation was so wet that it sizzled at the match, even after judicious drying. Of all of the various permutations out there in the world of aromatic tobaccos, I'm most partial to the Christmas cake/Rum family. But I didn't make it through more than a few bowls of that first tin. I used up the remainder by blending it with some neutral Burley to create a light rum aromatic.

Tin #2 has dried out quite a bit, which is all for the good. The rum flavoring, however, has muted some, though it remains artificial. The strangest thing about this tobacco, is that it seems that the heavy dose of wet topping has sunk down to the bottom of the tin. The bottom of the tin is now crusted with black tar, like a simmering pot of black bean chili that someone forgot to stir. I've seen this kind of thing before, but in 40 year old tins, not 2 year old tins.

I've smoked a few bowls of this well-aged Barbados Plantation. It's marginally better than it was when it was fresh. But it is still not even close to the quality of something like C&D's After Hours Flake, a far superior rum-sauced Virginia. Tin #2 is destined for blending, too. It blends quite nicely. That's the only reason it merits 2 stars.

Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

The rum and vanilla flavors are the predominate tastes of this blend. The Virginia is there to tame potential harshness, because you really can't taste it. I get a few burley notes here and there. The rum is very pleasant, and if I had my choice, I'd decrease the vanilla flavor and let the rum shine through more. However, it's very flavorful, though it does require a little drying fresh out of the tin to avoid goop and make it easier to keep lit. Don't dry it out completely though or you'll risk losing some flavor. I'd give it three and half stars if I was able, but I give it four because I like it too much to give it three.

rekamepip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rekamepip (78)
Mild to Medium Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Barbados Plantation

Burley, Virginian and Black Cavendish

Tin Note: Sweet with an almost fruity aroma .... and RUM :th1:

The tobacco straight out of the tin is again, a little moist and sticky - but that is a good thing because you get a fresh dip into the flavors every time. When smoked directly out of the tin you experience the wonderful top note (topping) flavors. This blend may smoke a little on the hot side but if you slow down to much then the but the bottom of the bowl may get a little goopy.

When slightly air dried or lamp dried the topping flavors are not as pronounced and the natural tobacco flavors pull thru. Not much of the virginian flavors came to me as the black cavendish somewhat overpowered it. The burley leaf in this blend is good

Room Note: Winner !

My 5 star rating = 3.5 while i love the rum ! i thought it just needed a little more of a kick

Pipe Used: pipestone rock cob, dr g omega

TWolf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TWolf (4)
Medium Medium to Strong Very Full Very Pleasant

Okay, a brief story. 27 years ago my wife and I got married and honeymooned in Barbados. I loved the place. It was, at the time at least, covered in sugar cane and they make Mount Gay rum there. While there I developed a very strong affinity for the stuff. The resort where we stayed had the pool right off of the beach and there was, of course, a pool bar. One of the first days there I met a particular bartender, a native Bajan whose name escapes me. I couldn't decide what I wanted and he offered to make me his specialty. A frozen banana daiquiri. Don't roll your eyes, this wasn't a girlie drink made with bottled mixers and rail brand rum. Everything was fresh and it tasted amazing. I developed a standing appointment everyday just after lunch with this bartender.

I tell you this to give context to the review of this tobacco. I was intrigued by the name. Upon opening the tin I was greeted with the definite aroma of rum. Not ordinary run-of-the-mill rum, not rum flavoring but island rum. Barbados rum. Visually it was an interesting mix of light and dark ribbon cut tobacco. It was moist but not overly wet. It packed well but the initial bowl did take a bit of effort to light and keep lit. Subsequent bowls were a piece of cake due to a little drying time after the opening of the tin. I don't think I'd let it dry too much though or you may risk losing some of the flavor.

Smoking this was heaven. I have had trouble tasting some of the flavors in other aros. Not this one. I tasted everything. There is first and foremost the Bajan Rum, sweet and wonderful. Underneath that is a subtle hint of vanilla. I detected another flavor in there. It took me about half a bowl but it finally clicked. I honestly don't know if it's truly there or if my mind has been playing tricks on me but I swear, it's banana. Not overt. Not overpowering. But a hint of it. Every bowl so far has whisked me back to that poolside bar in Barbados and the amazing taste of that fresh all natural banana daiquiri.

This is great in briar and it is heaven in a cob. For some reason it was a bit flat in a meer. About the only thing negative I can say was that it did leave a bit of that burley cigarette taste on my tongue after I smoked it but that is so minor when I consider the pleasant smoke I had up to that point. If you don't like aros you're not going to like this. It is definitely an aro. And it's one of the best aros I've had.

JoeMan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JoeMan (7)
Mild Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

I am as picky as aromatic smokers come. I need for an aromatic to deliver beyond just a nice tin note...I need to smell it, taste it, and share the aroma around the room. Barbados Plantation has become a very consistent go-to aromatic for me. The flavor is simply fantastic. The rum overtone is nice and mellow, with a sweet flavorful base providing just a delightful experience...every single time. I've lost the taste for a lot of other aromatics with this one...it's THAT GOOD.

Pipe Used: Alpha, Peterson, Grabow, Butz Choquin

Purchased From: Pipes and Cigars online

The Conde Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Conde (17)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

Just the right amount of rum and vanilla without tasting too sweet or artifical. A great everyday smoke if you like aromatics. This is one fo my favorite blends.

Dr Pipeflake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr Pipeflake (8)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

Beautiful Stuff. Sweet with rum and a bit of Vanilla. My new favorite!

Joeray Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joeray (61)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

eah nothing to say accept this tobacco is good because it's aroma. Smooth, mild to medium , and mellow taste that sticks into my tongue and palate. Im not a big fans of aromatic but sometimes i smoke 1-2 bowl to make my house smells good and to please the visittor and my neighbours and entertain them with the room notes. To make a great smoke, like others Sutliff's blends, it needs to be winded for a while to get a proper moist level so is not hard to light and keep the light. Just make a good charing light and you can smoke until the bottom without need to unlight accept if you smoke an extra large bowl. The virginia is very nice, sweet and good taste, with little bit earthy from the burley and the cavendish gave a mildness taste. Almost without tongue bite so i can smoke this stuff without worried, but still i keep my drawing and puff rhytm just to make sure my pipe is keep safe. The oily layer looks nice at the chamber if you can keep the light steady and the bowl's temperature is not too hot. Is a nice aro...

Pipe Used: Johar Wooden Pipe, BC Bistro

Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

This presents as a vanilla black cavendish mixed with a burley and given a rum topping. Mine came too moist, and the first 1/4 of the bowl had a somewhat intense vanilla/rum note. This was good, but it was just a lot of good for me. It pushed the envelope.

The flavor settled down to fairly mild by mid bowl, and to my way of thinking it was a significantly better smoke. I don't have the most delicate palate in the world, but I don't think there is any Virginia in this despite the description.

This was good, and I could see smoking this again. I doubt I would stock it. I can easily see that this would be a home run for some of the pipe smokers out there.

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (127)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Rum flavor complements the decent base tobaccos. After the rum flavor fades a bit, once into the bowl, the nutty Burley makes a mild appearance. A bit of spice comes through on the retrohale. Burns clean. 2+.

Pipe Used: MM

Age When Smoked: Unknown; at least 3 months.

Purchased From: CI

Capn Jimbo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capn Jimbo (14)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Some of you may be aware of The Rum Project where we review rums, whisky and tobaccos. It is fair to say that we know our rums very well, not least the fine Barbadian style with which this blend is alleged to be flavored. Until recently one of my favorites was McB's Navy Flake. No more.

This blend supplants it, and not by just a little. The tobacco all seems to be of good quality, and blended well. Visually it seems to be black cavendish dominant, followed by burley and then virginia, but that's just a rough guess. Some have called the blend too moist, but mine was not. With minimal drying the number of relights was not at all excessive. Used a standard 3 pack in my cob, and it was off to an extremely pleasant experience.

You will read of this blend's aromatics of rum, over a touch a vanilla and one poster even mentioned a light banana. I agree. t just so happens that Bajan rums do in fact display elements of banana (as well as the classic rum profiles of leather, vanilla, medium and deeper fruits). Thus this blend's casing may well be quite authentic insofar as a gentle Barbadian rum is concerned. But don't get me wrong. In this case the aromatics in no way overwhelm, but rather are in perfect balance with the burleys and virginia in this blend. The rum is entirely authentic in this light aromatic blend.

All the elements - tobacco and aromatics - can be distinguished, although they remain in near perfect harmony and balance. No one component dominates in any way, and that is a real gift. Indeed as the bowl progresses the tobaccos strengthen and move nicely forward, yet the modest aromatics are in no way lost, just slightly less evident.

This kind of balance and development is what I believe all such blends of its kind should aspire to. Lovely light, no burn, cool, rich, smooth and balanced. And to me, completely authentic. Love it!

Pipe Used: MM cob

Purchased From: Local sale

Similar Blends: MacBaren Navy Flake.

From Etten Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
From Etten (22)

Medium ribbon-cut, moist pleasant aroma with rum note out of the tin. Easy packing and draw. All of the smoke makes for a pleasant experience, Good slip-stream, nice bowl aroma, consistent flavor profile from the unique blend. I didn't expect this mild, mellow roasty smoke after experiencing Borkum Riff 11N Rum flavored tobac, which seems to be opposite this Barbados Plantation in being a pleasant smoke. A four star and possibly in my rotation.

Pipe Used: Greek Briar