The inspiration for this blend comes from the
haunting legend of Romania’s most notorious figure,
the infamous vampire. And how fitting it is as this
"bloody good" English-style tobacco blend teases
with a slight hint of anise to give it a one-of-a-kind spiciness. Scary how good this pipe tobacco is.

BrandTewksbury & Company
ContentsVirginia, Latakia
Strength
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full

3.7
TheWoodwose Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheWoodwose (17)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This stuff is pretty good. Hints of a tomato ketchup smell/taste while smoking (probably from the Virginias) but only here and there while smoking. The cut is more coarse than I would prefer but it still packs and lights well. It smells fairly pungent but the smoke is much more mellow. It is a bit on the mild side for an English blend but I like that for the most part.

In fact, one of my favorite things about this blend is that it doesn't destroy my tastebuds for the rest of the day like some other tobaccos do. After a couple of hours, I can barely notice that I have smoked anything at all. EMP is a pretty mild tobacco as well but that sticks with me most of the day (which is kind of good and bad I suppose).

If you are going to try an English, this is the way to go.

EDIT: I also prefer this to Hobbit's Weed. HW is more of a this-is-what-I-smoke-around-nonsmokers kind of tobacco.

UPDATE: I am downgrading this to 3 stars. There is nothing wrong with this blend, I have just found other English blends more to my liking. This one, to me, is just a bit too mild for my tastes now. Still not a bad light English though.

Pipe Used: Unique Briar pot shape

Purchased From: Tewksbury in Denver

Similar Blends: Old Dublin.

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I was intrigued by this tobacco and ordered it along with Hobbit's Weed. First I would like to say that I am not normally a Latakia smoker...at most on rare occasion. What I like about Nosferatu is that the Latakia is not over the top and good for that occasional change of pace that we all crave once and a while. I couldn't pick out the anise that previous reviewers of this blend have commented on. Barring the name, Nosferatu would serve as a good introduction to those wanting to try a Latakia blend. I anticipated this to be a cross-over blend due to the purported anise, but to my palate, this proved not to be the case. I enjoy the Latakia room note, but the reason for my non-fan Latakia status is that Lat always nips at my tongue. This, unfortunately, ruins the over-all experience I have with Latakia blends. All in all, Nosferatu is well blended, and except for the tongue nipping, a fairly well behaved blend. It's nothing spectacular, however, and I feel that it didn't live up to its hype. Although a solid 3 stars, this one will most likely age in my tobacco cellar for a long time to come.

Me Tarzan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Me Tarzan (1)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Strong

Ordered some Hobbit's Weed based on reviews and decided to throw in a bit of Nosferatu. Well the HW has been put into the cellar for all eternity and the Nosferatu has become a favorite blend. The tin note is great as any good English should be but there is something different... Upon charring, this subtle difference becomes a little more apparent. Once lit, Nosferatu burns perfectly and the amazing flavor never leaves. The anise blends perfectly with the Latakia and I would not consider this an aromatic blend. I could see the anise causing ghosting so I have dedicated a meer to this blend. The nic hit is definitely there but not overwhelming. Nosferatu reminds me of sipping absinthe, but no need to mask the flavor with any sugary casing. In fact I like Nosferatu so much I was motivated to sign up here at tobaccoreviews and make my first review. If I could personally send every pipe smoker a sample of this tobacco I would just so I could hear the reactions. Great stuff!

Ciall agus neart Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ciall agus neart (7)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Call Tewksbury company and order some of this today. This tobacco is simply incredible. I ordered some of this with the Hobbits weed and all i can say is wow. Don't get me wrong the Hobbits weed is very good in its own right but the Nosferatu simply leaves you wanting more. This is absolutely one of my new favorites.

RocketRaccoon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RocketRaccoon (2)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I paid a visit to the T&C store the other day and was surprised at the wide selection for such a small shop. I was able to try the Hobbit's Weed while in the shop but the guy at the counter gave me a small sample of Nosferatu to try (didn't bring my English pipe). I currently have a small meer dedicated to this blend and I must say it is delightful. I am a huge fan of the Latikia while it remains in balance with the Virginias and Orientals. Very mild nicotine but big on flavor. I get a very slight bite which still allows me to enjoy without destroying my palate. I am going to need a bigger sample! ;)

Pipe Used: small bowl meer

Age When Smoked: 2-3 days from purchase

Purchased From: Tewksbury & Co

Greyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Greyson (3)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I am a new pipe smoker, so I have not had a broad range to compare tobaccos to, but this is definitely one of my favourites. I have only tried two of the Tewksbury & Company blends, but I have thoroughly enjoyed them both.

Like the previous reviewer I first tried the hobbits weed, then moved on to the Nosferatu. I find them both to be superb smokes, but they have distinctly different tastes, even to my limited palate. Nosferatu doesn't smoke too hot and has a very interesting, sweet flavour - I was trying to identify what it tasted like to me (I've never really bought into the kind of flavour tasting people talk about with fine wines ect), but to me there were parts of the bowl that tasted a little of fruit, it sounds weird but the closest I can name is probably lychee. Then in other parts I could swear I got a very faint taste of aniseed.

Unfortunately the tewksbury company site has been down for as long as I've known about it, I'd love to know a bit more about whats in this blend so I can see if I'm anywhere near right. Anyhow, they have really friendly customer service on the phone, and I'd highly recommend trying Nosferatu for anyone who likes sweet / pleasant tasting blends.

throatgorge Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
throatgorge (1)
Medium to Strong Strong Very Full Very Pleasant

I have to say I really don't know much about pipe tobacco, having smoked cheap walgreens Cavendish most of my life. If finally decided to see how good pipe tobacco can be, and have been pleased with what I've found. Consequently, my ratings are probably way off, but I felt it necessary to create an account because this stuff needs a review! I chose Hobbit's Weed and Nosferatu as my intro into good pipe tobacco-- I selected Hobbit's Weed because of its high ratings and popularity. Here is why I am reviewing Nosferatu-- I have come to like it better than Hobbit's Weed. a good deal better, in fact. It is good for an evening/nighttime smoke. Hobbit's Weed I only smoke in the morning or while hiking in the mountains. Nosferatu is just really sweet and aromatic, the anise is very special and I think gives it a more contemplative effect. When I smoke a bowl of Hobbit's Weed, I am usually ready to put down my pipe. When I smoke a bowl of Nosferatu it is very hard to resist the urge to load another bowl and keep smoking, There is something deeply evocative and dreamy about this stuff. I am dying to see what more experienced pipe smokers say about this stuff... I'm really crazy about it!