We can thank the Golden Age of Exploration for introducing the Old World to Perique. Perique lovers everywhere will marvel at this distinctively flavored mixture combined with Turkish, Burley, Black Cavendish, and Virginia.

Blended ByCarl McCallister

2.7
rekamepip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rekamepip (72)

Golden Age Turkish, Burley, Virginian Black Cavendish and Perique Blend

Tin Note: a somewhat stale , slightly tart or fermented aroma The tobacco leaf is beautiful / good cut and color Perfect moisture level right out of this tin

I did not detect any toppings on this blend

This is a blend for smoking - my kind of tobacco The quantity of each of the different tobaccos is balanced and tastes good together !

The tobacco burns well from start to finish and produces good amount of smoke

Room note: Personally i love it but it is not a crowd pleaser

may 5 star rating = 4 but wishing it had a touch more perique

Pipe Used: pipestone rock cob, dr g omega

This doesn't taste much like Elizabethan to me. As someone else noted, it's like Royal Yacht-light. It also reminds me of Germain's Royal Jersey with perique, though that blend is lighter on the perique than this one is. But the sweet Virginia taste is almost the same. This is lightly sweeter than RJ/wP because the light addition of unsweetened black cavendish. It burns well and even with no goop, no dottle. The perique is slightly plum and peppery, but it's a team player and not the star component. If you're looking for an all day smoke with a little sweetness and just enough spice to tickle your tongue, this is blend will give you what you need. Really more of a two and half star blend than a three, but it's better than many blends I've rated two stars.

Ethan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ethan (34)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

I tried this one on a whim and i soon found out i don't like perique forward blends, or light english types for that matter. This blend would probably be really good to me if it had about 15% latakia added to it. I threw it in my "mystery english" blend to be beefed up with some blenders until palatable.

Age When Smoked: new, just opened

Purchased From: Port Royal

Sunday Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sunday (15)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

I guess I'm not much of a Perique fan or Elizabethan fan. I tried this four or five times then added it to my stock of "in case were attacked by zombies locked in basement" stash. It will stay there

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (81)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Update: I had to update this review and downgrade my rating, unfortunately. One problem is there's too much humectant for a English style mixture. This level of pg would be ok in an aromatic, where you have to have pg to carry the casing. The other problem is..there are other Perique skewed mixtures that are more interesting to me (Bayou Night, Irish Oak, even Haddos).

I have never before given a four star rating to an Altadis blend, at least I don't think so. This is, for me, somewhere between four and five stars, so I'm going to bump it up.

As a fan of the old Elizabethan, Royal Yacht and more recently, Peterson's Irish Oak, I feel confident in putting this offering in or right near that group, although it is a bit more American in character.

One thing this is not, is a typical Va/Per.

It does not deliver a boatload of Perique like Irish Oak, but it is noticable, slightly peppery, slightly figgy tasting. It likes to be smoked slowly, not packed too tight, and it comes too moist in the tin.

The other reviewer was spot on in comparing this somewhat to Royal Yacht, although milder. The darkned tobaccos in this, are very smooth, a bit muted. There is not the depth of VA nuance that there is in the old RY or even Irish Oak. However, there is a very nice, under the radar, aromatic component of some kind, that to me tastes like burnt marshmellows. Maybe this is the unflavored black Cavendish. And there is the goodness of Perique. And this contrast provides the interest in this.

In any event, this is worth trying for Perique lovers. It does not overwhelm, is not confusing, and very pleasing. Those looking for some Virginia with their Perique won't find it here, and they should look at Navy Rolls and the many similar tasting high quality blends.

The blend works by combining the rounded, slightly sweet taste of unflavored Cavendish with the spice of Perique. Don't overlook this one, if you're a fan of English style tobaccos with Perique. Aromatic lovers will be dissapointed.

NA Morrison Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NA Morrison (32)

this was my first introduction to perique as a dominate flavor. Not a bad flavor I would personaly add a little more latkia for balance but thats just me. on it own merits it holds it own and i have purchased another tin which I will age a bit longer to see it that improves it. I wish sutliff would quit compareing there blends to oters because almost every time it cant live up to the standars others have set for it. these tobaccos are good on there own merits and compareing them to others they are smililar to really takes away how good these blends are.

From Etten Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
From Etten (4)

7-Pleasure, satisfaction; 9-Top note, slip stream aroma, sipping the embers; 8-Delivery, balance, flavor profile; 9-Blend composition, quality; 8-Pack, relight, room note. As my real first perique I enjoyed the mild peppery presence. On a tight pack got mild N note. For me I prefer over the much stronger Elizebethan (which is of course a quality blend). This is a wonderful Vapers, as advertised, just not for me. 2 1/2 Stars for now.

Pipe Used: Cob, Tsuge, Hilson

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the tin

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

I have never tried Elizabethan, so I have no basis for comparison.

This is a very pleasant blend. It is fairly mild to my palate and delivers a slightly sweet Virginia flavor with very little perique. The unflavored black cavendish keeps it from being too heavy and may contribute to the sweet. I don't taste the listed orientals, but they may contribute in a subtle way. It presents as a high quality and balanced blend.

The blend came as a narrow ribbon and I liked the moisture level. I have no reservations in recommending this one. You won't be happy with it if you are looking for an aromatic or a perique/latakia/oriental/whatever flavor bomb.

While very light on the Perique, this is a pleasant enough, slightly sweet smoke. For me, though, it just smokes a bit too much on the hot side to earn three stars, but I generally agree with Virginialover's review.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (124)

A surprisingly good Perique mixture. The tin art is beautiful, the cut is long and thin. Smell off the tin is slightly pungent and sweet, the tobacco has the right amount of moisture to be smoked right away. The flavor is perfect for a middle of the road tobacco. It burns fast and to a white ash, no pipe gurgling even if smoked fast. Interesting neutral taste with Perique breaking the status quo. The after taste is towards cigarettes but not too much. Overall a very nice mixture at a good price in the States and impossible to find in Quebec. This is my first review for a Sutliff tobacco.

tiltjlp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tiltjlp (7)

I really like the mix of Burley, Virginia, and Cavendish, but I don't taste any Perique, for some reason. While I've never had Elizabethan, I can compare Golden Age favorably with Dunhill Royal Yacht, although Golden Age is slightly milder than Royal Yacht.

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)

Sniffing this long-cut, fine ribbon blend betrays the distinctive aroma of white burley and a small amount of sweetness, both natural and added. Fruity aromas are almost absent.

The flavor follows the aroma. This is primarily a dry and earthy smoke with copious amounts of white burley along with a muted sweetness from golden virginias and natural black (burley?) cavendish. The contribution from the perique is noticeable, though secondary.

Golden Age is a satisfying and easy-going blend with a generously rugged and voluptuously sweet flavor that bears no immediately obvious resemblance to Elizabethan Mixture. This seemed best in a narrow to medium gauge chamber.