An intermingling of Oriental, Perique, Latakia, and Black Cavendish.

Blended ByCarl McCallister
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique
Packaging1.5 oz tin

Visit company website

Strength
Taste

3.2
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend works better than you might expect. When you see there is going to be some vanilla black cavendish in a balkan with perique, it sounds like an odd combo.

The black cavendish is a very light touch, and the aromatic complements the orientals very well. Tin note is all latakia to me, but smoking is a well-balanced set of flavors. Smoking is oriental forward with a constant latakia bass note. The black cavendish supports the sweet Virginias. The perique is hard for me to identify in the flavor profile. There is a little pepper at the end of the bowl.

If you like balkans, and want to try something just a little different, this is worth getting. I like it.

corncobcolombiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
corncobcolombiano (8)
Mild Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have to admit that I didn't expect a whole lot when I bought this. It's only the second Sutliff blend I've tried, and I smoke a lot of Balkans. I tend to mostly review the blends I can give four stars to, probably because I hate giving poor ratings to blends when a lot of my reason for not liking them may be specific to me and my pallet. But to give a comparison, I USUALLY enjoy smoking this Balkan over the many of the others in my cellar (I probably have around 10 now). I'm not saying this is the highest quality tobacco of the options, or the best necessarily, but something has to be said for the blend your taste buds want you to pick up, after time and habits have formed. To me, this blend is perhaps on the quality level of Peter Stokkebye Balkan Supreme, and they are close to each other, however perhaps its the cavendish, or the specific turkish leaf, or the perique (which I don't feel I can even detect in this blend), but I prefer this blend usually. A wonderful experience with good coffee with cream-- excellent, rich, tasty (but nothing way out of the ordinary if I were to give a criticism-- just everything you can hope a good Balkan would be).

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

A medium blend English with a smokey latakia taste that is nicely contrasted by the sweet, light vanilla flavor of the black cavendish. The Orientals and perique are complimentary ingredients in a mild way. The sweet and smokey taste translates well in regard to the room note, making this an English blend that your friends won't object to. Full tasting enough to get your English fix, it can almost be an all day smoke, too. A welcome change from dry smoking, latakia heavy Balkan blends.

felipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
felipe (2)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

I bought a tin from a local tobacconist when I was in the US, before i found out I could order almost any tobacco known to man online.

I was not very experienced at the time, but i struggled to like this tobacco. I found it too greasy and somewhat 'chemical'. It's very hard to savor the components, it tastes like a latakia-flavored black cavendish. It lights easily and burns slowly, probably because chemicals keep it moist and greasy. It's not BAD, I just couldn't enjoy it, except one time i came home drunk. Absolutely disgusting if smoked in a cob.

I repeat, it's not bad, but there's so much better stuff out there that I wouldn't bother.

Pipe Used: Briars, cob

Similar Blends: McClelland Blue Mountain.

Brass Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brass (1)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

This was the first English tobacco I smoked in a number of years. But when I bought the Sutliff can, I thought I was buying a Balkan. Why not? It is named Balkan Luxury Blend. But TRC classifies it as English.

Reading the ingredients again triggers the discussion as to when is an English a Balkan. Is English the genus and the Balkan a species or do Balkans stand on their own? And what is it about pipe smoking that so encourages the obsession with classifications and categories?

Well, regarding the particulars, I liked the Sutliff Luxury blend. Even though I hadn't smoked my pipes in a few years, as a fan of finer cigars, my taste buds and senses were still attuned to fine tobaccos. The Latakia flavors were still instantly recognizable, even though I hadn't smoked the leaf in a decade or more. And the peppery perique floated in the stream, dotting the thick tasting cloud of Latkia with explanation points of brightness.

I really couldn't identify or appreciate the Virginians or orientals during the first few sessions. So, I smoked a few bowls of GLP Union Square, a straight Virginian, and some GLP Embarcadero, an Oriental/VA blend. After refamiliarizing myself with some of the base flavors, I went back for a couple of more sessions, this time packing a pot.

Now, I like to think I could detect the foundation flavors. I have to admit, the Latakia doesn't grab me like it used to. Or maybe it wasn't the Lat.

The thickness seemed to have a razor thin layer of almost cloying perfume or the ever-so-faint whiff of soap about it. Maybe the black cavendish? Or was my imagination running away after reading too much about Lakeland blends. (To be clear, I know this isn't a Lakeland)

Mouth feel/finish was good. Requires brushing twice to get rid of the after taste. No tongue bite at all. As for room notes, it was strong verging on unpleasant. I'll know for sure when the daughter-in-law brings my grand-son for a visit.

Another thing. I know pipe tobaccos are not cigars. But the pipeweed ingredients stood out sharply and distinctly compared to the tightly entwined, subtle, nuanced blend of a decent cigar. Going forward, I hope to find cigar blends as sophisticated as the better cigars. But at this stage, as I begin to explore the world of pipe blends, I'm not sure I would appreciate the perfect pipe blend - if there is such a thing.

I'm cutting this review short - ok, too late for that - but will come back and adds some notes after I have smoked a couple of dozen or more pipe blends of different styles.

As stated earlier, I think I like this but I like it sometimes better than others, in some pipe better than others. It is also quite possible I'm beginning to like VaPers and Virginians more than Lats. I really like very much SG Navy Flakes and Escudo.

On my personal scale, I give stars as follows: One Star: trash it Two stars: Smoke it - Smoke the the rest but probably won't buy any more Three stars: Buy it again Four stars: Buy and Cellar a supply

On this scale, I'm tentatively giving this two stars but I reserve the right to change my rating after I have better educated my palate.

Pax

Pipe Used: oom-pa, bull dog, EX Mr. Grog , English pot

Age When Smoked: off the shelf

Purchased From: Tysons Cigar World

Similar Blends: I don't have enough experience to say personally what this is similar to. But I understand many folks that like Balkans like Orlik Golden Slices, which I've put on my wish list.

rekamepip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rekamepip (66)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Sutliff Private Stock Balkan Luxury Blend

Oriental, Perique, Latakia, Black Cavendish

Tin Notes: The Tobacco has near perfect moisture content with good cuts of leaves without the roughage (not sticks and stems ) An Earthy tobacco aroma with a nice smokey smell and a slight whiff of piquant muskeyness

The Burn: This Tobacco Blend is easy to load and lights without any problems, burns good from start to finish. A light to medium strength of what i consider a well balanced tobacco blend. BLB is a flavorful mixture and tastes slightly different in different types of pipes. I have enjoyed this blend even though the perique is not very peppery.

If you are looking for a light to medium strength blend - then this is worth trying at least once !

My 5 Star Rating = 3.5 and 4 if it ages well

Pipe Used: pipestone, briar, meerschaum and olive wood

Purchased From: pipesandcigars

CEHansen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CEHansen (3)

The fact that the cavendish is held so much in reserve is a plus. Truly a case where less is more. I like Cavendish but often what starts out as green pastures and earth ends up as horse turds and compost for me. Fabulous tin aroma. No bite. Definitely on my desert island list.

Peppino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peppino (74)

As I watch tobacco reviews on Youtube I thought I should give one on this fine tobacco! I'm almost done with the tin and I must say that this a very nice blend. Now saying that I would say it's not very complex like the label may indicate. However it smokes very well in any size pipe it has a slight sweetness almost fruit like but not sickening fruity. The Latakia is in the background but it's there, I can't find the Orientals, or Perique but the blend still smokes great. Dry and clean and burns to a nice gray ash I say go get some!

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (78)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Well, all Altadis blends have something in common: the chemical taste of whatever humectant they use. I have tried many Altadis blends, and a few others by a different brand but still blended by Altadis. At this point, I don't think I will bother anymore.

Of the whole Altadis line up this is the most smokeable one. A good attempt at a cross over blend with a strong aromatic flavor and Latakia in the very background, almost unnoticeable.

Ubnfortunately, you cannot taste the orientals or anything else because, as it is customary with Altadis, the blend is doused with who knows what chemical they use as a preservative.

Worth the try for those who want to avoid high doses of latakia, or those who do not mind a tobacco humectant that tastes like Tinactin.

Now that MacBaren bought out Sutliff, I would like to see if they have enough sense to clean up the fungicide taste. At some point, when all the Altadis crap is gone from the shelves, I'll try again. For now, only two generous stars just because it is slighly better than the pencil shavings Altadis markets as pipe tobacco.

porshcigar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
porshcigar (27)

This is another great Sutliff blend. I love smoking this blend. I got a sample tin at the Columbus Show in August 2012, and have ordered many more tins because this is a blend that I want to smoke on a regular basis. It lights well, smokes well, and burns all the way to the end of the bowl. I find the taste to be very satisfying, deep and rich through the entire bowl.

T. Ferguson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
T. Ferguson (9)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Me again, loving the Sutliffe! Has the flavor of a mild English, with the room note of an aromatic. Passes the Ferguson test AND the Mrs Ferguson test. The Cavendish is absolutely there, believe that. He really cool thing is that you don't notice until after the smoke. Its smooth and creamy all the way to the bottom of the bowl. Burns cool and clean. This would make a great transition to English blends, in my opinion. Do your wife a favor and pick some up post haste!

Hobo Joe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hobo Joe (2)
Medium to Strong Strong Full Very Pleasant

For me from first light to bottom of bowl, a very nice taste. The aroma reminds me of Antique Stores. Not Thrift stores.

Rikowrites Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rikowrites (11)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Strong

This is a well crafted blend with no single tobacco in a dominant role. Excellent first third, steady second, and pleasant finish. I have been smoking GL Pease Abington this summer and this offering is a enjoyable change of pace. Lighter and not as complex, but still satisfying.

constantsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
constantsmoker (61)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

Altadis's Sutlifee blends seem to be all across the board in quality. This is a 2.5 Star blend. As another reviewer noted, there seems to be a slight topping of vanilla on this which, IMO, masks the Oriental and Latakia components. Faintly peppery Perique comes through on occasion. Not a bad smoke but it needs some refining.

Fellow traveler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fellow traveler (64)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

The tin description reads "Orientals, Perique, Latakia, and Black". It is mostly black mixture with the soft tin note of mild vanilla. I could not detect the orientals or latakia. The perique is far in the background but the overall flavor is pleasant. The black cavendish seems to be unsweetened but hints of vanilla. Towards the end of the bowl the perique lets your tongue know it was there with a slight peppery tingle. As with most of the blends I have tried from Altadis it is pleasant, friendly and will not offend. Worh a try.

rocketflem Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rocketflem (5)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

This is a great one. My tobacconist recently got this brand in, and I've started working my way through the blends. This one has enough latakia and perique to give it the punch, but not so much that it's going to put other people off. My only complaint is the tin. I'm not into the plastic, coffee can lid. Picky I know, but I like my tins to be made of tin.