Meridian - balanced, poised and sophisticated. Cyprus Latakia is layered with fine Virginia tobaccos and small leaf orientals, then pressed, sliced and tumbled into ribbons. More savory than sweet, with classic structure, medium body, and captivating complexity, Meridian is the perfect companion for a mid-day stroll or with the afternoon tea.

Notes: Meridian is the third entry in the Old London Series. A classically styled blend that's wonderful when young, but with a good backbone for longer aging. It's a medium-full mixture, with flavors that evoke memories of some of the great Latakia blends from days gone by. Red and orange virginias are joined by a generous, but not overwhelming measure of Cyprian leaf, for a wonderfully earthy foundation. The spicy/sweet oriental tobaccos add fullness, and an exquisite aroma. Not as "big" or as full as Westminster, but similar in style. An excellent blend for a relaxing afternoon smoke, or as a delightful "amuse bouche" before dinner - Meridian was introduced in October, 2010.

BrandG. L. Pease
Blended ByGregory Pease
Blend TypeBalkan
Packaging2oz Tin, 8oz Tin
Strength
Taste

3.4

I'm no expert on GLP tobaccos and haven't nearly the experience of a lot of smokers, but this is the first one that I haven't had to spend untold numbers of hours figuring out! I've found GLP tobaccos to be the ultimate in complexity but this one's complex nature is more "quiet" and subdued.

Sort of a pressed ribbon cut, this is a beautiful mahogany color in the tin with a measured snootful of orientals present. It loads easily and burns serenely and completely. The orientals take center stage along with just the right amount of latakia. With my limited experience, I place this somewhere between Westminster and Charing Cross - not in strength but in style. But where Westminster was somewhat "confused" and murky, this one has an unusual clarity within its subdued nature. Where Charing Cross was forward and heavy in taste (wondeful taste!), Meridian is balanced and mature in its leanings. The complexity is there but it's not an in-your-face complexity like a lot of GLP blends. In other words, this can be a "set and forget" blend or it can be one for contemplation. Few tobaccos rise to both occasions as this one does, and those few tend to be at the very top of my rotation. Meridian is now one of those few.

Very enjoyable to the taste buds and quite an achievement, this blend receives my highest recommendation. Mr Pease feels this is a wonderful afternoon "aperatif"-style blend. I feel this is an all-day smoker, as it shines no matter the time of day.

MDP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MDP (36)

Tin date: January 11, 2011

Open date: October 3, 2011

Finished tin date: end of October 2011.

Cut: short, broken flakes

Color: deep chestnut with flecks of lighter oriental leaf

Tin aroma: deeply of Latakia and earth

Loading: required thorough rubbing to burn the way I prefer

Lighting: middling, takes a charring light or two

Burn: slow, even, dry; relights were common

Ash: medium-fine gray and dry

Dottle: none

Smoke: dense, gray and brown clouds in volume; luscious

Palate: happy and clean

Latakia scale: 4 (0=undetected, 10=all-dominating)

Pipe: performed acceptably in group 3-6 pipes of various chamber shapes used. Shone in pots and deep, conical bowls

Performance: almost dumb-dumb proof

The blend that wiped away my tears for that absentee, Penzance.

Think of everything wonderful about Penzance. Now, eliminate the less pleasant attributes of the same. Add availability, and you have Meridian. This is not to say this blend was created to emulate or imitate Penzance. The connection just clicks for me.

The Latakia in Meridian is no wall flower here, but no where near dominating or even the main actor. It is soft and without edge, providing flavors of forest earth, pine campfire, and faintly of morel mushrooms. Meridian is more about the oriental leaf: sweet, barely acrid, and spicy (not peppery).

The Virginias and orientals work up some kind of sweet cream undertones that reward the slow smoker. It is amazing how smooth a mixture this spicy, woodsy, and smokey can be, but Meridian delivers. Meridian is not a "sweet" blend, however. Remember: earth, dry, leather, spice, cream and smooth.

Only the softness of the Latakia and cut remind me of its sister blend, Chelsea Morning. Meridian is WAY under the radar and for no immediately apparent reason.

I tried this blend about 6 months ago and found it a little too spicy for me, as I find many of the GLP blends, so I just cellared the tin. I just retried it and found my initial light greeted by some Latakia smokiness, no Orientals. I had recently finished a pipe full of Rattray's RR, now that has Orientals and much earlier I finished some of H&H's Larry's blend , now that has Orientals. As I progressed through the bowl, I noticed some spicy heat, no sweetness ( Virginia's, really!) but maybe some creaminess and a lot of earthy tones and yes, at a slow sip Orientals but mostly bland earthiness. This is not for me, bland ,spicy smoke. Back to the cellar with this one, 1 1/2 stars, OK I'll give it a 2. ( Reminds me of C&D's "Sunday Picnic", see review)

I wish this site would set up an exchange system that I could trade my two tins to one of you 4 star pipesters!

Updated 10/16/11- I think I need to adjust my fast smoking style more so when I smoke GL Pease blends. First, this tin now has 10 1/2 months on it and it has really improved. Next, at a slow sip the spicy heat is very controlled and finally the flavor is definitely Oriental with only a light amount of Latakia. Yes, more savory, creamy, salty and complex, like smoked Provolone cheese. I have to bump this up to 4 stars and no I don't want to trade my remaining tins! I think this will age wonderful and I will keep it for my Oriental hit to my rotation.

Just a quick comparison of Pease Blends: Haddo's Delight- whiskey topped , light latakia, fruity (2), Chelsea Morning- Light latakia, fruity (4), Meridian- Medium Latakia, creamy bacon Oriental flavor (4), Lagonda-Medium Latakia- Campfire flavor, light Oriental (2), Quite Nights- Heavy Latakia- Campfire flavor with Creamy Orientals (4), Odyssey- Heavy Latakia- Campfire flavor dominates , light orientals(3).

I would say all of these are 3 & 4 star blends, the numbers (#) indicate my personal preferences when compared to "only" these 6 blends

Keac241 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Keac241 (8)

NOTE: The tin I'm smoking is about 2 years old. I will update it accordingly when/if I smoke a new tin.

This is currently my favorite English blend which I reserve for very special moments and even tho Mr. Pease himself recommends it for midday/afternoon, I prefer it at night, in quiet reflection.

Personally I think this blend just is just compatible with me chemically. It is very complex and I wouldn't really recommend it as an all-day smoke. I think 'balanced, poised and sophisticated' as stated on the tin is really the best description for it.

It burns well and no bite at all. I don't think a very deep bowl will do well with this blend unless you're someone who just likes to smoke for a long session. For me, a medium sized bowl hitting the 50 mins mark gives me the biggest satisfaction.

Medium None Detected Very Full Strong

It's been a while since I've tried a new English mixture that pulls a wow from me. GLPease's got so many English tobaccos that I tend to get confused, and when I think of one, although all are great, there are only 3 or 4 that I exactly remember what they taste like. Meridian will be among them, and today it's probably my favorite.

Katharsis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Katharsis (39)

The previous reviewer who gave it two stars is correct in saying: "if you like a little Latakia and a healthy dose of Oriental leaf that is light, a bit spicy and not too sweet, then Meridian may be something you will enjoy." I like a lot of latakia AND I like a little -- it totally depends on the mood.

This blend is terrific. I am currently trying all three of the Old London series, after having discovered how good Chelsea Morning is. This one I think I actually like more. I've only had one bowl, and so even to me this review seems premature, but I don't see my like for it changing. If it does, I will come back and edit. I find the description on the tin (up above as well) to be accurate, whereas Chelsea Morning's description was not, though that blend is still terrific.

If this quality is the norm for Pease's latakia blends, I will certainly be trying more.

ChronoB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ChronoB (3)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

My first thought upon lighting this up was "Wow, Pease has recreated Penzance!" But that would be doing Meridian a disservice. As much as I love Penzance I think it can be one dimensional. Throughout the bowl it tastes mostly like...Penzance. Considering how good Penzance is that isn't necessarily a bad thing, but sometimes you like things to change and develop a little more as you smoke.

To my tastes Meridian is certainly an orientals-forward blend (and what wonderful orientals they are). But throughout the smoke the latakia will take center stage at times, and every so often the sweetness of the virginias comes through. It ranges from spicy to toasty throughout.

Maybe this difference arises because Meridian is not a packaged as a regular flake tobacco like Penzance. That is fine with me, because I can never get Penzance to pack/light/smoke without difficulty. Meridian is sliced traditionally and tinned in a more ribbon/broken flake type of form and it is much easier to pack and keep lit.

I'm fairly sensitive to Vitamin N, so there was plenty of nicotine punch for me. Heavyweights might not have enough here, I suppose.

It looks great in the tin; a beautiful mixture of light to dark brown ribbons, with a toasty, oriental aroma. Moisture level seemed close to smoking readiness.

My only complaint is that at times it was really putting the burn on my nose and sinuses (no tongue bite, though). Perhaps I did not dry it enough, although there was very little moisture in the bowl. It smoked down to a nice, dry ash. I think it simply needs more aging time in the tin to smooth out (it was tinned this month). Regardless, I'm sure time will be very kind to this blend.

If you're one of those Pease haters I doubt this blend will change your mind, or if you're one of those Va/Per guys that seems compelled to test an oriental/latakia blend just so you can say you dislike it, please spare us. But if you like English/Balkan style blends you'll be happy with Meridian.

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I like all types of tobacco and can find good in any blend if there is something good to find. However, I admit that I am more of a viper fan these days and blends with latakia then to be towards the bottom of my like list. I smoke them and enjoy them but not often. However, this blend I found to be very enjoyable and very well done.

First off, this blend by GLPease in his Old London Series, is a rough cut flake with some ribbons running through kit and is composed of tobacco running from khaki colored up to a dark brown in color with no black or very dark coloring like most latakia blends. The tin note is a musky and rich smell similar to fresh peat. I found it a little to moist for my liking so I set it out to dry for a couple of days in the house. After refining it a I found it to be must right and easy to load in my pipe. It lights very easy and produces a very rich and flavorful smoke that is easy on the palate, does not bite, and smokes nice and slow with a fine steely colored ash all the way down, it leaves very little dottle at the bottom of the bowl and tends to smoke nice and dry. This blend focuses on the Orientals with the latakia there in the background but not dominating the flavor at all. It is not sweet but it is rich in flavor. The room note will not make enemies but it will not attract fans either, thus would have to be considered pleasant to tolerable. I found myself enjoying it very much and pretty much concentrated on smoking this tin to the bottom. I would have to say, this is one of the better blends of it's kind on the market. It is a four star blend for sure and I would highly recommend it. Even if you are not a fan of English blends I think most would find this blend enjoyable.

Pipe Used: briar, corn cob, meers

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

Extremely Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

As a huge fan of many of Greg Pease's offerings I am hesitant to 2- star Meridian, but if all I did was drool over all of his blends I'd lose what little credibility I have.

I always prep for smoking a new blend to review by drinking a glass of Orange Juice. The acidic nature of the juice is a palate refresher. I don't know, maybe I got a dud slug of OJ, but Meridian sure seemed light and airy to me. I may have gotten my Vitamin C hit fromh the juice, but I got absolutely no Vitamin N hit from Meridian. The low dose of Latakia and ramping up of the Orientals left this one with a nice, delicate flavor devoid of strength.

Bottom line; if you like a little Latakia and a healthy dose of Oriental leaf that is light, a bit spicy and not too sweet, then Meridian may be something you will enjoy.

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)

Pease Pilgrimage Reviews (a tasting journey through every GLPease blend)

Appearance: A tumbled flake in which very few flakes survived the assault. I rubbed mine out just a little bit more before stuffing. Quite dry in the tin, perfect for packing, perfect moisture level for a ready light and easy, consistent burn.

Tin Aroma: A delicious, earthy English aroma.

Flavor: “Seeeerian Latakeeee-a? We don't need no steenkin' Seeerian Latakeeee- a!”

With Meridian around, I really don't care so much about Greg's lack of Syrian leaf. By backing off on the Lat (which is just another type of Oriental leaf, right?), and amping up the delicious Orientals (which, BTW, are perfectly chosen and proportioned), we get a similar effect (at least to my taster) as we would from Syrian Latakia.

Less smoky and earthy than Quiet Nights, more complex than Chelsea Morning, more flavorful than Westminster, with an Oriental tang in my nose and soft palate, this blend certainly deserves all its accolades. Although there is much debate regarding the terms “English” vs. “Balkan,” my take has been that a Balkan blend has a predominance of Oriental leaf. According to that definition, I would classify this is a Balkan blend, and not a Latakia Bomb like Quiet Nights, at least in the first half of the bowl. The flavors are actually very complex, and quite delicious.

But one of the things I like about this blend is its chameleon character…

As the bowl progresses, the Cyprus weed does seem to move forward in the flavor. That oily Latakia taste becomes distinct but is still tamed by its blending buddies. The savory Oriental character diminishes and the Virginias end up an afterthought. A little light toastiness makes it through the richness, especially when sipping, but you gotta love Latakia if you're going to enjoy the second act.

I expect this chameleon act to subside with age. I would think the Latakia will smooth out and the Orientals and Virginias will blend and mellow, making this blend more complex and less likely to change so much during the smoke. More than most blends, I am excited to see how this one will age.

One more point…when I say that a particular blend is pipe-dependent, what I mean is it only tastes good in certain pipes. Well, Meridian does change from pipe to pipe, but it's always good. My Danske Club (Stanwell) Vario Billiard emphasizes the Orientals all the way through. It has a largish, cylindrical chamber. The above description of a strong Latakia presence near the end comes from my large-bowled Nording freehand with a tapered bowl. Experiment to see which one treats you best.

Stock up, fellow pipesters! This is another four star blend from GLP.

I have smoked the majority of Pease blends and while I enjoy some of them, I don't have any in my regular rotation...until now! The tin description is dead on in that it is a true combination of sweet and savory. Its more savory than sweet, but the underlying sweetness makes it for me. I can only imagine that as Meridian ages it will become even richer and sweeter, but there is no need to wait. I find Meridan to be somewhat complex and each flavor note is perfectly balenced. Meridain is one of those blends that after many tins you may find yourself still finding new flavor notes. The tin moisture is almost perfect. This medium English can be smoked all day. If you like a complex mixture that leads with good quality Virginias and Orientals with Latikia playing a supporting (but still there to be noticed)roll than Meridian is well worth the purchase of a few tins. Highly recommended!

PipeCat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeCat (13)
Very Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have smoked quite a few bowls of Greg's new blend, 'Meridian' and I would like to say that so far this is my favorite of the 'Old London' series. I find it simple enough to enjoy without having to think about the nuances involved with the richer 'Quiet Nights' but with more mid to low end flavor than 'Chelsea Morning.' I haven't spent enough time scrutinizing the flavors just yet, but will attempt to soon. I would recommend this blend to anyone who enjoys the other blends in this series. I would consider this to be a medium to full bodied all day English with a good dose of nicotine.

dhbillings Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dhbillings (9)

My thoughts on Meridian:

Upon opening the tin, one is greeted with the scent of a classic English mixture: plenty of leather, wood, and spice. The cut is a tumbled flake, which comes out more as a wide ribbon cut, and the appearance is an array of light tans to dark browns with a couple hints of black.

The tobacco packs easily into different-sized pipes and lights easily as well. The flavors are pretty consistent with the tin aroma: leather, woodsmoke and spice - but with more spice in the mix. The interplay between the different tobaccos (Latakia, Virginia, and Oriental) is complex, but not too complex and it allows for a smoker to enjoy this blend while busying himself with something else without missing anything. As Mr. Pease wrote, "Meridian doesn't rely on the latakia for its impact, but rather the balanced interplay between the latakia, the orientals and the virginias... it's complex, but in a gentle way." And it burns evenly without issue.

Final Verdict: Meridian is a wonderful blend with enough complexity to keep any smoker interested, but is also simple enough to enjoy when busy with other activities. Kudos, Mr. Pease.

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (109)

Good blend with good tobaccos. Latakia starts out in the front, then fades somewhat into the complexity of the various tobaccos. Never gets muddled, however, with a nice tangy sweetness when sipped, Latakia pronounced on the exhale, and, spiciness from the Orientals picked up on retrohale. Burns clean and easy. Good job! Could perhaps be even more interesting if the Cyprian were replaced with Syrian...! 3+.

Pipe Used: Kriswill

Age When Smoked: Tin date 09-NOV-2010

Purchased From: Corona Smoke Shop, Jackson, MI

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (75)

Another good medium English by GLP. Not different enough from his many other English mix's to really stand out. First class tobac though. Easy to smoke.

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (69)

Greeted by a wonderful tin aroma it was all downhill from there. Too bland and insipid for my preference. Nor does it harken to Penzance. The upside was it combusted well. I tried it in a few of my pipes which are the apex of my briar collection hoping for better things, alas no to be.

The cut on this is extremely fragile, three days in my tackle box and 2/3 rds of the tin became the finest of espresso grounds, no longer smokeable. It would be served better if left as a plug or slices. I suppose the tumbling prior to packaging does make it slightly more convenient and folks could pad the contents with cotton wool. Or leave it at home.

Frankly, most of Pease's offerings are not to my liking and there are blenders out there who I'd rather spend my time and money with (in order): Max Engel (Comptons), Hans Schürch, Carole Burns (Pipeworks & Wilke), and Russ Ouellette.

Barling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Barling (19)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Strong

This is one of my favorite smokes right before I go to bed. It has some of the character of Dunhill Nightcap without the dizziness. The Latakia plays nicely with the Virginias to deliver a satisfying smoke. Open the tin and let it sit for about 2 weeks for maximum enjoyment.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)

Too bland for me, I was hoping for an interplay between the Latakia and the orientals, for my palette it was flat. This seems like Penzance light, very Latakia forward with a weak oriental side note.

Lestrade Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lestrade (16)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

A ribbon cut blend of Balkan style and character. To my Palate, the Oriental and Virginia are lively, spicy and as per the tin description "Savory". A subtle underlying sweetness and the perfect proportion of smooth quality Latakia is ever present excelling in a supporting role of the overall rich character, body, flavor and aroma of this wonderfully balanced blend. Not to little, not to much, but just right.

Meridian is complex yet in such a relaxed manner, I enjoy it while reading a book, watching a movie, puttering in the shop. taking the dog for a walk or relaxing in my favorite chair with him asleep by my feet, as I ponder life or just watch smoke rise with a quiet mind. A superb smoke anytime of the day or night. While a winner right out of a new tin, I'm really looking forward to experiencing Meridian as it ages along with me.

fireball Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fireball (36)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Works for me as a morning pipe, in fact it's not a million miles away from EMP, but with more latakia. The roughish cut makes Meridian smoke very cool and long, and after nearly finishing this tin, my first GL pease blend, I'll certainly be buying again. Not too sweet, light and tasty, it's a very good oriental in my book. If anything, it lacks a little 'N', but as a morning smoke that's not an issue for me.

CPT/VSG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CPT/VSG (70)

I can't recall smoking through a tin of a new blend as quickly as I have with my first tin of Meridian. The broken flake takes just a touch of drying as the tin moisture was almost perfect and I found it very easy to keep lit.

A somewhat more robust blend than Chelsea Morning (which I also like very much), Meridian qualifies as an all-day smoke for me. It is predominately Oriental in profile with a side note of Latakia. I would describe it as well balanced and not over-the-top in attempted complexity. Like both of the other new offerings in the Old London series, Meridian is a hit for me and will become part of my permanent rotation.

Briar Mike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briar Mike (17)

I am sure I will change this review up as I get some more time spent with this tobacco. I was a big fan of Chelsea Morning, but only so-so on Quiet Nights. This tobacco, while similar in many ways to both, belongs in a middle ground between the two.

I want to just dive in to a summary of it and give my impressions for now, then update this once I am firmer in my opinions. The cut is very much the same as Chelsea Morning, its a slightly dense ribbon. It has a robust and rich tobacco smell in the case, very earthy and with no trace of casing agents. Its still a touch moist in case, but nothing a short drying or rubbing won't fix. It packs as well as Chelsea Morning, but if you get careless you can over pack it. It took more time than I like to get lit, but did stay lit nicely and burned well. The taste reminded me of a slightly earthier version of McClelland's 3 Oaks Syrian, or better yet, a stronger more robust Chelsea Morning. I paired it with some Gold Label Jamison, and the two complimented one another well. My wife was a fan of the room note. Overall, this is a very reasonable and solid blend, more my style then Quiet Nights. I detected a pretty strong nicotine hit to the throat, and next to no tongue bite. Might be moved to a 4 star rating after a bit longer with it.

=Update= I think a solid 3 star rating is fair for this blend. Its kinda bland to me compared to other oriental forward blends. Its just too earthy without enough spice and nuance to earn a 4 star rating from me. If you like earthy blends though, this one delivers that quality. This is a solid blend though, and I will keep it around for morning and afternoon needs. But its not heavy and contemplative enough for nighttime smoking needs. Solid 3 stars,