A seductive English tobacco mixture using the highest grades of leaf possible. The costly and varied oriental leaf lend their distinctive flavor to this blend, rich with smoky Cyprian Latakia, this full bodied blend finishes slightly sweet due to the addition of sugary top grade Virginias.

Notes: If you were a fan of "Turkish Black" from Ed Burak's great Connoisseur shop in NYC, give this blend a try.

BrandPark-Lane Tobacconist
Blended ByPaul Bonacquisti
ContentsLatakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Strength
Taste

One thing I love about Park Lane Tobacconist is that the moment you walk in the door, you know you are in a pipe shop. Rows and rows of bulk tobacco jars and glass cases filled with pipes, and owned by a pipe maker to boot! Turkish Mystery is a blend that was part of a group of two ounces samples of many of PLT’s house blends I purchased a little more than a year ago. I have to admit, the nose on this didn’t excite me. The cut of the tobacco is very thin ribbon, but not quite a shag cut. In order to release all the flavor of these thin ribbons, it’s important to not over-pack Turkish Mystery. As the name would imply, the star of the show is the Orientals, but there is still a good dose of Latakia here too. TM produces a large volume of smoke and burns cool, with a slightly sweet finish. The taste is medium to full and offers some complexity. I prefer this in a wider size bowl and dried some as it does come a little more moist than I prefer. IMHO, this is one of those English blends that will only improve with age. Turkish Mystery is a worthy house blend from Park Lane.

Pipe Used: mainly straight, wider bowl

Age When Smoked: one year

Purchased From: Park Lane, http://cigarsandpipes.com

babysinister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
babysinister (46)
Medium None Detected Full Very Pleasant

This has become my favorite English-type blend and yes, I've smoked many of them. It's smooth burning, easy to fill, light, etc. and remains dry in the chamber as it effortlessly burns down to a light gray ash. The flavor, however, is what gets me: full without being heavy; a mixture of tastebud-caressing citrus and virgina sweetness. More flavorful and savory than any latakia/oriental I've tried -- an unobtrusively enjoyable smoke that for me is the quintessential contemplative pipe experience for relaxing, reading, writing or just sitting alone out in the porch as the quiet dusk approaches. I usually smoke it in group 3 or 4 canadian or rhodesian.

jazzyguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jazzyguy (15)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is Nirvana! A delightful Latakia mixture which has a pleasant taste and an excellent "nose". I never had an opportunity to try Turkish black by Ed Burak but I was assured by Park Lane that it is an accurate copy. I really find this tobacco to be delicious and can't get enough of it!