Iwan Ries

Old belt flue-cured Virginia with a whisper of Perique.

BrandIwan Ries
ContentsVirginia, Perique
Where to Buy Iwan Ries
Strength
Taste
2.0
SBC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SBC (20)

Smell in the bag is of dried figs. Quite pleasant if you like that sort of thing.

Very pretty slices.

Now, this is an extremely difficult tobacco to rate, due to the radical change in character which it undergoes during the smoke.

But, before saying more, a word on how to treat this tobacco--

I've tried every kind of rubbing out and folding, and there is only one method that works for these slices: Fold the slice lengthwise, once, so that it is just as long but half as wide. Now "roll" it up like a sleeping bag. Now stuff this roll into your bowl. Nothing else works.

Also, avoid tamping throughout the smoke, as much as possible. If you must, do so extremely lightly. This tobacco is tough to keep lit, as is, and almost impossible to keep lit if you tamp much or firmly.

Finally, this tobacco must be sipped extremly gently. One good suck and it turns foul (more on this in a minute). But, if you can just barely draw it, very slowly and very slightly and very cooly, you'll be rewarded with a couple minutes of delightful flavor. The moment you smoke it like other tobaccos, though, you'll lose it and won't get it back.

Which leads me to the meat of the review:

If you do everything as described above, you will get a couple minutes of toasted marshmallow. That's right, the taste (and room note, according to my wife) is unmistakably that of a moderately toasted, golden marshmallow. I was thinking that of the taste just when my wife said that of the room note. Uncanny. Quite delightful.

However, no matter what I do, no matter what pipe I smoke it in, it turns nasty after a few minutes. And just as it turns nasty in my mouth, my wife says it turns nasty in the room. I can't explain it, and I can't get that wonderful toasted marshmallow back.

The first couple minutes are so tasty, so pleasant, that I'm almost tempted to buy this again just for those few minutes. Alas, no matter how heavenly those few minutes are, they cannot justify the terrible turn this tobacco takes for most of the smoke.