Only top quality Virginias are the base for this truly excellent Danish mixture. A Navy Cut, with a fine and smooth taste, featuring true tobacco Virginia sweetness. A blend that is going to enchant not only the flake lover.

BrandJohn Aylesbury
Blended ByPlanta
Strength
Taste

3.8

Another nice VA flake from Aylesbury by Planta. Now I'm 2/2 with 4*. The 1 1/2"x3"x1/16" flakes have an ideal moisture content from the tin and can be packed evenly without rubout and no relights are needed after the charing light. Smoked cool without any bite or condensation to the bottom of the bowl. Even with pipe rotation and smoking only one load in each, this blend tended to dry out my mouth so I wouldn't use it as an all day smoke. However, for a treat or nice change I'd give it a try.

daveyj66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
daveyj66 (8)

I was sent a very generous sample of this fine flake and I thought it warranted a review.

The flakes where very uniform and had that lovely VA smell I have come to love. It rubbed out very easily and needed about 25 minutes to dry before I could load my pipe.

After the charring light and subsequent relight, this blend took me back 25 years ago when I first took up the pipe and was smoking Dunhill Light VA Flake. It was a mild, flavor full and smooth smoke. It did burn a bit fast and hot even though I was sipping. That keeps me from giving out 4**

I like this and I believe I will have to purchase a few tins to put in the cellar.

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (77)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

As noted, this flake is very mild, yet it does have a taste and aroma that is its own. High quality Virginias and very nice cut flakes.

This is always a pleasant change for me as I normally smoke far stronger tobaccos...G&H Dark Plug, Revor, etc..

This flake holds its own and while it may be akin to others in the market place, I believe this to be, all around, individually, an excellent smoke.

It would be a fine all day smoke as well, however it is not complex per se, and may get too singular for some.

Enjoyed in a group 4 size Caminetto straight billiard.

...a pipe is to be savored...

dk-piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dk-piper (25)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Wonderful Virginia Blend and a great allday-smoke! One of my favourite virginia-blends. Not too sweet, a little nutty flavours. Very delicious tasting tobacco.

No drying time required. Grab a flake. Fold, twist or just rub it out and light it up...enjoy...

Virginia Lovers should give it definitely a try!

Nathan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nathan (8)

This is a great flake! Tin aroma is of hay and dark chocolate. The moisture was just right in my opinion. I rubbed one flake out about seventy-five percent and then packed it in a trusted briar. Pre- light aroma was of warm toast and a hint of cream. After tamping and re-lighting the aroma was a bit stronger with an added pleasant tobacco smokiness. Taste was of good tobacco with a slight sweetness due to the Virginias. Taste and aroma stayed true from start to finish. It may bite if smoked too fast. A great tobacco for beginners and anyone looking for a good smoke!

sparky1971 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sparky1971 (1)

I am running through Virginia flakes and really love this one. I can smoke four bowls in a row and it is just a perfect smoke for me. I just stuff and light. I bought several tins for the cellar and foresee smoking a lot of this blend. Not a heavy hitter which is nice for me. For me it is the little brother of dunhill flake.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)

A real nice va flake, well up there will more famous and expensive va blends. I really like the sir William flake too, but this has a little more depth and fullness too it. Honest and quality va flake. You'll be surprised with this one if you're a va purest. Great price for a quality flake.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

So I had run out of my regular VA flakes, and no time to go to my usual source for more. The shop I happened to pass by had this blend. So I got a tin on the recommendation of the shopkeeper. Can't say I'm sorry I did.

The slices are a mix of golden and brown leaf, overall pretty dark; the tin aroma is nice and sweet with just a hint of honey that may well be my own imagination rather than a topping. From the fresh tin, the tobacco is a bit on the moist side, but I could light it up with no problems.

The taste is nice and sweet, with very little VA grassiness. I am not going to stick my neck out by comparing this blend with Sam Gawith's FVF, but the taste is closer to that blend than any other VA flake I have tasted so far. It can turn bitter if smoked too hot though.

The smoke is nice and fully sweet. Not much of a Nic kick, but accomodating anyway. Could be an all-day smoke for me.