This blend combines an excellent medley of premium Red and Lemon Virginia leaf, large Burley flakes and an element of Izmir Turkish. A special ingredient is a small amount of Red Virginia Cavendish with a very light Maple flavor. This is truly a satisfying and smooth all day smoke for the Virginia lover. Tastes like a Flake in a Traditional-cut!

Blended ByTarler/Captain Bob Blend
ContentsOriental/Turkish, Virginia
FlavoringMaple
PackagingBulk, 2oz Tin, 8oz Tin
Strength
Taste
Mild, Medium, Medium to Full
3.7
tod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tod (4)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I ordered this because of the above review, and am so glad I did. This has got to be one of the best I've had from Cornell and Diehl. It has the full tobacco taste I crave with a great aroma. Not that noticable while smoking, just a hint every now and then. All the components compliment each other and make this a great blend, especially if smoked slowly. Highly recommended.

OLDTIMER Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OLDTIMER (39)

Pot o' Gold blend is another fine blend by Craig Tarler and Captain Bob. The aroma has a whiff of maple that only improves the tobacco flavor. This blend smokes dry and no tongue bite. The blend is somewhat complex and the rich flavor only improves as you go down the bowl. Right now it is only available by ordering from Cornell & Diehl. I hope tobacco shops carry this supurb blend in the near future, because I believe it is truly one of the best kept secrets in the world of tobacco.

It has been a couple of years since I've posted any C&D blend reviews and I have smoked nearly 100 tins of their various offerings in that time. So, it may be awhile before I get to all of them. Captain Bob's Pot 'O Gold is one of those "off the menu" blends that C&D offers and is accepted readily by pipe shops around the country that contract with them to provide blends that are then given "house" names. This one works because it has a little bit of that Maple Sugar taste hidden deeply in the background of the forward Orientals and Virginia. If they tinned up this stuff, I'd buy it. Flavorful and a little bit sweet, with that Maple taste that I crave. Try it with some stout burley added if you, like me, would prefer this one with a little more kick.