A familiar old classic, this blend expertly mixes bright Virgina and rich burleys with contrasting flavors of Rum and Maple for an interesting and pleasant smoke.

Notes: A more modern adaptation of the one time favorite Rum and Maple mixture of supermarket and drug store fame.

Blended ByCarl McAllister
FlavoringMaple, Rum
Strength
Taste

3.1

This is much like Sutliff's Maple Street, but there's a little difference. I get just a little more rum taste here than maple, and I think there's more burley here, too, because I get a few more notes of it that I didn't get in MS. Like it's cousin, MS, the taste here is very pleasing, and is not sickeningly sweet, nor are you overpowered by a super strong maple flavor. Not much nicotine. No bite, no goop, an even and consistent burn rate, and people around you will enjoy the smell. Leaves just a little moisture in the bowl. Has a very pleasant after taste and room note. An easy going all day smoke.

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (178)

This seems to be about a 3 to 1 ratio of Virginia to Burley but tastes a lot more Burley forward. From the pouch it requires just a little bit of dry time and it performs extremely well. Tobacco is primarily what you taste with a hint of maple sweetness and a light dose of rum. Charring light provides a burst of sweetness that quickly fades to the background after the first few puffs. The topping creates a bit more flavor depth than I expected and I get a subtle buttery taste as well as a hint of some non-descript holiday spice. This is a really solid aromatic with good structure and tobacco centric flavor. It boasts a pleasing room note, even burn and only a tiny bit of a bite. I am pleasantly surprised by this.

Pipe Used: Cob

mixlunar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mixlunar (1)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

From a novice smoker (2-3 months)

I smoked a bowl of this the previous night and noticed that it was quite damp when I packed it. I decided to take a chance and lit it up. Throughout the smoke, I tasted no hint of the maple, nor the rum. I was slightly concerned that I'd been had and that this was a terrible tobacco. I let it slightly open over night to see if drying it out would help any.

I lit a bowl the next morning while checking my email and it still tasted very plain to me. About 1/4th of the way through the bowl, the maple came out, and the scent was, to me, quite incredible. I was happy enough at that point, the room note was enjoyable, and the taste was slightly maple. Then, half-way through the bowl, the rum kicked in. It was quite a shock to me because I really wasn't expected it, but it was quite good. After finishing that pipe, I was quite happy with the tobacco and hope my next smoke is just as pleasant.

This is one of Altadis's best blends. It is a more richly cased blend than the old No. 53 that has faded into history. That's okay as the Original Rum & Maple from Lane Ltd. could be a bit sharp when it was fresh.

It smells good, tastes good (especially with a cup of coffee) and is fairly well behaved. It is not top shelf Burley, so go slow, or you will bring out the bitterness. It is a cheap, and pleasurable diversion for those who like old school non black cavendish aromatics.

I will try to pick some up from time to time.

rattdogg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rattdogg (33)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I won't try to add a lot to what the other reviewers have said so I'll be brief here. This is a mild, medium sweet smoke. It doesn't require many relights due to the ribbon cut of the tobacco which makes this one a good working or fishing smoke. I found the taste to be aromatic without being overpowering. I well remember the old Rum and Maple mixture and this one is far superior in every way. A wonderful all day blend for the aromatic smoker. I will buy more.

flakey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flakey (43)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

The best aromatic I've found from Altadis. Like most aromatics this one can bite if you make it. Taste is about like the tin note , but not as strong. The rum is subtle, the maple is more up front. You will taste the tobacco also. Rum and Maple can leave a little bit of goo in the bowl -- not excessively so though. Hey, that's cake building power baby. After having been through a couple pounds or so of this, I've found the quality to be very consistant... more so than some of Altadis' other offerings. I'm always a little leary of Altadis' tobacco but this is one that I can't think of a single bad thing to say about it. If you like aromatics, maple in particular, this one is pretty alright. Good price point and seems to be of okay quality.

Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I am simply going to second chetking's analysis of Rum & Maple. It was a blend of the month sent to my local pipe club about six months ago and the overwhelming majority of the group felt like this was a worthy blend. Tobacco taste with a lot of something extra that made this one a special, aromatic smoke.

chetking Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chetking (54)

This is a worthy, contemporary version of the decades old drug store blend gray ghosts like myself knew as "Rum and Maple" in the traditional yellow/orange and brown box pouch and tin tub. Apparently that olden day mixture and antecedents thereof are largely reviewed on tobaccoreviews.com as R&M under the Lane Limited label. One of our fellow reviewers - BBlevins - reported 02/07/09 that Lane ceased production of R&M in July, 2008 and stocks of smoke ready leaf by that label were being deleted.

Internet ordered this version under the Tobacco Galleria flag by Altadis from the reputable smokingpipes.com (Laudisi Enterprizes) emporium out of Little River, SC. Besides excellent delivery service I can tell you this R&M version is nothing like the old Rum and Maple mixture of many years gone by - that was a bitter, hot smoking blend that left the impression of an overload of rum and maple casing: everything clashed...nothing worked.

Honestly, this is one of the finest, reasonably priced R&M admixtures I've ever smoked and probably rivals some of the upscale, mega priced varieties the average pipe fancier simply can't afford, or certainly not sustain over an extended period of time. This Galleria version emitted sweet rum and maple flavours which expertly complement each other; the burley and Virginia provide extra balance. Also detected delightfully spicey notes of raisins and cinnamin. Each bowl promises to be a continuing adventure. Happy hunting ...

Bifkinator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bifkinator (10)
Very Mild Very Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I'm a lover of all things maple flavored and being September I knew I had to start stocking up on my fall tobaccos. Fall is a season for aromatics for me such as autumn evening, mixture monster, and bagpipers dream but this year I'm craving maple so I bought this along with C&D maple cavendish and black gold maple for something new. As soon as they came in I knew I had to pack a bowl and try one out. I've never had a Sutliff tobacco so I decided to try this one first.

I bought this tobacco in bulk so it came in a bag not a tin. I picked up maple cavendish first and gave the outside of the bag a smell and then picked this one up and the smell was considerably stronger on this one. I transferred it to a jar and then gave it a smell. I get, obviously, maple and a lot of it. But it surprised me that this tobacco is a little more complex than what I expected. It has notes of maple, fresh caramel, slight rum/fermented smell (but not a strong one), roasted pecans, faint fig, and subtle apple. It smells GREAT! Huge plus to it.

Now the only thing I have to say thats negative about this tobacco is that its really moist. Like really moist. And a lot of it is coming from the flavoring. I like my tobaccos moist so it's not a big deal to me but I think a lot of people would want to dry this one out. Handling this stuff is kind of a mess. I got the flavoring all over my hands and it left my fingers a little sticky, not crazy sticky but for handling a tobacco pretty sticky. So its got a lot of flavoring on it. Other than that, it's a really light color and packs really easily (I think the moisture helps here).

In the pipe it's a little tricky when lighting but will start up fine. It lit up a little unevenly for me at first but after a few puffs with the lighter I fixed it easily. Definitely give this one a pre-light char to help it out a bit. It has absolutely no bite! Like none! I really love that about this tobacco. It puts off a fair amount of smoke and the room note is delicious! So smoke it around your friends! The smoke is also really tasty! I get maple, a little grass, caramel, subtle apple, and pancakes. In all honesty it tastes like a big pile of pancakes with syrup on top. It's fantastic if thats what you're looking for. A sweet smoke but really delicious.

For me, I love this tobacco! It's exactly what I was looking for. I highly recommend if your a fan of maple flavors. If you're looking for something with a subtle flavoring, this is NOT the tobacco to get because it is very strong in flavoring. But if you're and aromatic smoker and want something sweet and warming for the fall or winter, go with this! You will not regret it!

Pipe Used: GBD bent bulldog 549

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (283)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

These Tobacco Galleria blends are actually pretty tasty with Rum and Maple actually smelling and tasting like the name suggests. I have a couple of bowls left in my pouch which was surprisingly not crispy after a couple of years... Burley and Virginia in a thin ribbon cut with no Black Cavendish makes this blend burn a little hotter and must be smoked gently to keep the heat down and the flavor from disappearing. Not overly topped or moist, the rum provides some spice and the maple topping gives this a warm comforting room note, a good all day blend since it doesn't overwhelm in any way and is priced right. I do however much prefer Autumn Evening and C&D's Black and Gold Maple but those are two very different blends component wise (and higher priced) with maple toppings but this is a 3 star maple blend and one I would keep a pouch of in the car.

Purchased From: Free pouch from Altadis

I don't get a lot of natural tobacco flavor. A little nutty note from the Burley is about all. In spite of that it taste very good and I find it to be an enjoyable smoke. The rum and maple combo is sweet and delicious. It burns very well and a little quick so you'll want to use some caution not to overdo it. A nice change of pace blend for me.

Mild to medium in body, taste and flavoring.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman, Mark Twain, Patriot

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

manxman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manxman (46)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

No bite. Did not find any rum flavor. Bystanders tell me that it smells pleasantly of a camp fire. Nothing to convince me to purchase it again.

Pipe Used: briar

Purchased From: local shop

Similar Blends: Mapleton.

colonel jpl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
colonel jpl (20)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

This tobacco is a good everyday smoke. Nothing complex a mild slightly maple and rum flavored blend. It burns clean room note is good, just go easy or get ready for a bite. Its good but I will continue my search for a really good rum and maple.

Pipe Used: peterson

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (87)

Overall, a great aromatic smoke. No bite, good flavor profile. I don't smoke a lot of aromatics so if I find one I like it serves as a nice change of pace. Well worth the price.

ho dirty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ho dirty (10)

Smokes and burns well. Smells like syrup about halfway down the bowl. A bit of bite

Bombay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bombay (6)

This is a sweet, well-cut aromatic. I would recommend a bit of drying on a fresh pouch. The maple is not overpowering and the aroma was very agreeable to those around me. There was almost no bite, and the burley added enough toasty character that you didn't need any cavendish to round out the body. Very nice for a beginner.

DirtbikesAndPipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DirtbikesAndPipes (4)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Lights and packs very well for a ribbon cut blend. The taste of the rum and maple combine very well to create a perfect harmony. I was dissappointed when my tobacco shop stopped carrying Midnight Smoke, however I think I have finally found a match for a vacant Peterson I have sitting in its case.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (167)

What a lovely light aromatic this is. Unlike Maple Street, by the same blender, R&M is more prominent in burley over the virginia. It burns cooler and the casing is more lightly applied. I add a little perique for spice and to cool it down. The fine cut can burn hot, even when smoked slowly. This is the second blend from Altadis' Tobacco Galleria line that I'm enjoying. The other is their Chocolate Supreme. This is far and away better than the original R&M and a great all day puffer, with no bite. At $25 a pound, it's a great value.

Aillaragis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aillaragis (3)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Unnoticeable

I got about 1/3 of the way through a bowl and stopped to throw away the rest of the ounce that I bought.

Room Note Professor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Room Note Professor (44)

This is NOTHING like the original Rum&Maple. The original was famous for being a "not too sweet" manly aromatic. This version is a typical sweet, gourmand American aromatic. I was so disappointed that I dumped my first bowl after just a couple of puffs. I tried again the next day -- this time approaching the blend as the sweet American aromatic that it is. I found it to be a pretty good smoke in this category! No tongue bite. The rum and maple flavours combine to create a butterscotch taste, not unlike Trout Stream. I found the blend to be mild, flavourful and a super-easy burner. The room note is reasonably pleasant: a traditional pipe aroma with a butterscotch note.