A familiar old classic, this blend expertly mixes Bright Virgina and rich Burleys with contrasting flavours of Rum and Maple for aan interesting and pleasant smoke. No. 55 in bulk sales.

Notes: A more modern adaptation of the one time favorite Rum and Maple mixture of supermarket and drug store fame.

Strength
Taste
3.1
DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (89)

This seems to be about a 3 to 1 ratio of Virginia to Burley but tastes a lot more Burley forward. From the pouch it requires just a little bit of dry time and it performs extremely well. Tobacco is primarily what you taste with a hint of maple sweetness and a light dose of rum. Charring light provides a burst of sweetness that quickly fades to the background after the first few puffs. The topping creates a bit more flavor depth than I expected and I get a subtle buttery taste as well as a hint of some non-descript holiday spice. This is a really solid aromatic with good structure and tobacco centric flavor. It boasts a pleasing room note, even burn and only a tiny bit of a bite. I am pleasantly surprised by this.

Pipe Used: Cob

This is much like Sutliff's Maple Street, but there's a little difference. I get just a little more rum taste here, and I think there's more burley here, too, because I get a few notes of it that I didn't get in MS. Like it's cousin, MS, the taste here is very pleasing, and is not sickeningly sweet, nor are you overpowered by a super strong maple flavor. The taste is just at the right level for me. I like both blends, and can smoke them all time. No bite, no goop, an even and consistent burn rate, and people around you will enjoy the smell. A really good all day, every day smoke if you want it to be.

mixlunar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mixlunar (1)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

From a novice smoker (2-3 months)

I smoked a bowl of this the previous night and noticed that it was quite damp when I packed it. I decided to take a chance and lit it up. Throughout the smoke, I tasted no hint of the maple, nor the rum. I was slightly concerned that I'd been had and that this was a terrible tobacco. I let it slightly open over night to see if drying it out would help any.

I lit a bowl the next morning while checking my email and it still tasted very plain to me. About 1/4th of the way through the bowl, the maple came out, and the scent was, to me, quite incredible. I was happy enough at that point, the room note was enjoyable, and the taste was slightly maple. Then, half-way through the bowl, the rum kicked in. It was quite a shock to me because I really wasn't expected it, but it was quite good. After finishing that pipe, I was quite happy with the tobacco and hope my next smoke is just as pleasant.

This is one of Altadis's best blends. It is a more richly cased blend than the old No. 53 that has faded into history. That's okay as the Original Rum & Maple from Lane Ltd. could be a bit sharp when it was fresh.

It smells good, tastes good (especially with a cup of coffee) and is fairly well behaved. It is not top shelf Burley, so go slow, or you will bring out the bitterness. It is a cheap, and pleasurable diversion for those who like old school non black cavendish aromatics.

I will try to pick some up from time to time.

rattdogg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rattdogg (33)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I won't try to add a lot to what the other reviewers have said so I'll be brief here. This is a mild, medium sweet smoke. It doesn't require many relights due to the ribbon cut of the tobacco which makes this one a good working or fishing smoke. I found the taste to be aromatic without being overpowering. I well remember the old Rum and Maple mixture and this one is far superior in every way. A wonderful all day blend for the aromatic smoker. I will buy more.

flakey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flakey (43)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

The best aromatic I've found from Altadis. Like most aromatics this one can bite if you make it. Taste is about like the tin note , but not as strong. The rum is subtle, the maple is more up front. You will taste the tobacco also. Rum and Maple can leave a little bit of goo in the bowl -- not excessively so though. Hey, that's cake building power baby. After having been through a couple pounds or so of this, I've found the quality to be very consistant... more so than some of Altadis' other offerings. I'm always a little leary of Altadis' tobacco but this is one that I can't think of a single bad thing to say about it. If you like aromatics, maple in particular, this one is pretty alright. Good price point and seems to be of okay quality.

chetking Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chetking (54)

This is a worthy, contemporary version of the decades old drug store blend gray ghosts like myself knew as "Rum and Maple" in the traditional yellow/orange and brown box pouch and tin tub. Apparently that olden day mixture and antecedents thereof are largely reviewed on tobaccoreviews.com as R&M under the Lane Limited label. One of our fellow reviewers - BBlevins - reported 02/07/09 that Lane ceased production of R&M in July, 2008 and stocks of smoke ready leaf by that label were being deleted.

Internet ordered this version under the Tobacco Galleria flag by Altadis from the reputable smokingpipes.com (Laudisi Enterprizes) emporium out of Little River, SC. Besides excellent delivery service I can tell you this R&M version is nothing like the old Rum and Maple mixture of many years gone by - that was a bitter, hot smoking blend that left the impression of an overload of rum and maple casing: everything clashed...nothing worked.

Honestly, this is one of the finest, reasonably priced R&M admixtures I've ever smoked and probably rivals some of the upscale, mega priced varieties the average pipe fancier simply can't afford, or certainly not sustain over an extended period of time. This Galleria version emitted sweet rum and maple flavours which expertly complement each other; the burley and Virginia provide extra balance. Also detected delightfully spicey notes of raisins and cinnamin. Each bowl promises to be a continuing adventure. Happy hunting ...

colonel jpl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
colonel jpl (14)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

This tobacco is a good everyday smoke. Nothing complex a mild slightly maple and rum flavored blend. It burns clean room note is good, just go easy or get ready for a bite. Its good but I will continue my search for a really good rum and maple.

Pipe Used: peterson

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (59)

Overall, a great aromatic smoke. No bite, good flavor profile. I don't smoke a lot of aromatics so if I find one I like it serves as a nice change of pace. Well worth the price.

ho dirty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ho dirty (10)

Smokes and burns well. Smells like syrup about halfway down the bowl. A bit of bite

Bombay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bombay (6)

This is a sweet, well-cut aromatic. I would recommend a bit of drying on a fresh pouch. The maple is not overpowering and the aroma was very agreeable to those around me. There was almost no bite, and the burley added enough toasty character that you didn't need any cavendish to round out the body. Very nice for a beginner.

DirtbikesAndPipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DirtbikesAndPipes (3)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Lights and packs very well for a ribbon cut blend. The taste of the rum and maple combine very well to create a perfect harmony. I was dissappointed when my tobacco shop stopped carrying Midnight Smoke, however I think I have finally found a match for a vacant Peterson I have sitting in its case.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (138)

What a lovely light aromatic this is. Unlike Maple Street, by the same blender, R&M is more prominent in burley over the virginia. It burns cooler and the casing is more lightly applied. I add a little perique for spice and to cool it down. The fine cut can burn hot, even when smoked slowly. This is the second blend from Altadis' Tobacco Galleria line that I'm enjoying. The other is their Chocolate Supreme. This is far and away better than the original R&M and a great all day puffer, with no bite. At $25 a pound, it's a great value.

Aillaragis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aillaragis (3)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Unnoticeable

I got about 1/3 of the way through a bowl and stopped to throw away the rest of the ounce that I bought.

Room Note Professor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Room Note Professor (39)

This is NOTHING like the original Rum&Maple. The original was famous for being a "not too sweet" manly aromatic. This version is a typical sweet, gourmand American aromatic. I was so disappointed that I dumped my first bowl after just a couple of puffs. I tried again the next day -- this time approaching the blend as the sweet American aromatic that it is. I found it to be a pretty good smoke in this category! No tongue bite. The rum and maple flavours combine to create a butterscotch taste, not unlike Trout Stream. I found the blend to be mild, flavourful and a super-easy burner. The room note is reasonably pleasant: a traditional pipe aroma with a butterscotch note.

Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I am simply going to second chetking's analysis of Rum & Maple. It was a blend of the month sent to my local pipe club about six months ago and the overwhelming majority of the group felt like this was a worthy blend. Tobacco taste with a lot of something extra that made this one a special, aromatic smoke.