Stronger than Northwoods, with lots of Latakia.

BrandBoswell Pipes & Tobacco
ContentsVirginia, Black Cavendish, Latakia
Strength
Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium to Strong
None Detected, Extremely Mild, Medium
Taste
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable, Tolerable to Strong
Lawyertodd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lawyertodd (2)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Tolerable to Strong

Excellent step-up in Latakia from Boswell's Northwoods. Flavorful, not overbearing. No afterbite. Smoky aroma in pouch makes the thought of opening it one of life's "great expectations."

Grim_Puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grim_Puffer (2)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I must disagree with the previous reviewer.

Being a big fan of boswell pipes and of their northwoods english blend I asked if they had something a little less aromatic as an english offering and the guy on the phone said they had this 965 whihc was a strong english blend.

when it arrived with my pipe i loaded it up and tried it out.

Its actually less sweet but that was the only good part.

Its very mild, even go as far to say on the same side as thier mild english.

Not the strong english i was expecting at all.

I assume its just virginia and latakia but it is too mild, even more so to me than Frog Morton, for me to order again.

brogreggblues Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brogreggblues (45)
Mild to Medium None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

I love Boswell's Northwoods. It's so delicious, but could be a bit stronger for my taste. So when I recently called Boswell's and asked Dan for a stronger blend, he suggested Railroad Station 965. He said "It's got a lot of Latakia in it", so I was sold. I assume this blend's name refers to Dunhill's My Mixture 965, but I've never smoked that blend, so I can't make the comparison.

RR965 does indeed have a lot of Latakia in it, but not so much to be overpowering. It's "tangy-ier" than NW, but still smooth and easy to smoke. I can detect black cavendish along with the Lat. It's a great blend, and I have no idea why no one on TR has reviewed it before now, nor why it's not listed on Boswell's website.

If Northwoods tastes like a fresh-baked loaf of bread with a little orange peel in it, RR965 replaces the orange peel with a little Bloody Mary mix. Enjoy.