Stronger than Northwoods, with lots of latakia.

BrandBoswell Pipes & Tobacco
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Latakia, Virginia
Strength
Mild to Medium, Medium to Strong
Taste

3.4
Autumn joy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Autumn joy (48)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Alright Boswells railroad station is a blend that simply does not get the hype like northwoods does. Now to me this blend is better then northwoods. Railroad station is a black Cavendish, latakia and Virginia blend. The smell of this in the bag is a good woodsy earthy note. The smoke of this blend does have a bit of a sweetness to it from the Virginias and black Cavendish, but the latakia keeps it running with the smoky taste. This blend was a real surprise to me mainly because it is not discussed as much and not even really described on boswells menu. I honestly think this is their best blend period. Northwoods is good but pretty much stays at the same level the whole smoke. The railroad station has some things going on because of the Virginias added. I would highly recommend this to anyone who enjoyed northwoods or a good English blend.

Pipe Used: Straight Billiard, Rusticated Tomato

Purchased From: Boswell pipes

Lawyertodd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lawyertodd (5)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Tolerable to Strong

Excellent step-up in Latakia from Boswell's Northwoods. Flavorful, not overbearing. No afterbite. Smoky aroma in pouch makes the thought of opening it one of life's "great expectations."

brogreggblues Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brogreggblues (45)
Mild to Medium None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

I love Boswell's Northwoods. It's so delicious, but could be a bit stronger for my taste. So when I recently called Boswell's and asked Dan for a stronger blend, he suggested Railroad Station 965. He said "It's got a lot of Latakia in it", so I was sold. I assume this blend's name refers to Dunhill's My Mixture 965, but I've never smoked that blend, so I can't make the comparison.

RR965 does indeed have a lot of Latakia in it, but not so much to be overpowering. It's "tangy-ier" than NW, but still smooth and easy to smoke. I can detect black cavendish along with the Lat. It's a great blend, and I have no idea why no one on TR has reviewed it before now, nor why it's not listed on Boswell's website.

If Northwoods tastes like a fresh-baked loaf of bread with a little orange peel in it, RR965 replaces the orange peel with a little Bloody Mary mix. Enjoy.

Jallen49 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jallen49 (24)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

Very good blend, definitely recommended for english blend smokers. It's very similar to Northwoods (almost too similar), but it has a bit more latakia added, and less sweetness than Northwoods. To my taste, it's too similar to Northwoods to justify purchasing both (unless you just want to compare the two). In other words, if you want a blend significantly different than Northwoods (i.e., much stronger/more latakia), I can think of other places to go. BUT, again, for what it is, this is a great blend, like all Boswell pipe blends.

Pipe Used: Comoy's straight billiard

Similar Blends: Northwoods.

LaroldC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LaroldC (1)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Let me point out that Boswell's has at some point dropped the "965" from their labeling of this blend. That said...

My first reaction to the bag note was to instantly take another three or four deep whiffs, shake my head slowly, and smile. So rich in quality Latakia but without that typical leathery affront. The sweetness of the Virginias and Cavendish come through in perfect balance with that smoky Latakia overtone and it stays consistent throughout the bowl. It produces billowy white smoke and has a wonderful aftertaste. The ash is fine and powdery. The room note smacks lightly of incense and is quite nice.

With most English blends, even the great standards, I have found something lacking, but I find nothing missing from this English experience. It's totally satisfying to me. This is an unsung hero blend. It's pricey, but one bowlful and you will know why. Highly recommended for English fans. (Your mileage may vary.)

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman

Purchased From: J M Boswell's Handmade Pipes

Similar Blends: Boswell's Northwoods, McClelland's Frog Morton (original blend).

Stinkypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stinkypipe (156)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Very Pleasant

I just love Boswell tobaccos. J.M.and Dan are a pair of steely eyed tobacconist! I love northwoods but railroad station is just that much better. A little sweeter with more smoky flavor. I noticed another reviewer found it less flavorful than Northwoods. That guy needs to try again. Even Dan says it's more big on flavor and strength. Frankly I just can't find anything wrong with Dans blends. His aromatics may not be as flavorful as others but his English blends are without peer. His pipes I am told are also outstanding (note to self, get one). If all the tobacconist in the world were kidnapped by aliens but Dan Bosworth I would be able to smoke what I love with no problems at all. If you enjoy smoky flavor in your English blends this is a must try!!

Pipe Used: Mostly briars but also cobs

Age When Smoked: New and old

Purchased From: Boswell.com

Grim_Puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grim_Puffer (2)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I must disagree with the previous reviewer.

Being a big fan of boswell pipes and of their northwoods english blend I asked if they had something a little less aromatic as an english offering and the guy on the phone said they had this 965 whihc was a strong english blend.

when it arrived with my pipe i loaded it up and tried it out.

Its actually less sweet but that was the only good part.

Its very mild, even go as far to say on the same side as thier mild english.

Not the strong english i was expecting at all.

I assume its just virginia and latakia but it is too mild, even more so to me than Frog Morton, for me to order again.