Imagine a bottle of Frangelico and a bottle of Irish Mist having a head on collision and you'll have an idea of the flavor and aroma of Nutty Irishman, though the end product has a uniqueness that goes beyond the characterization.

ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley
FlavoringAlcohol / Liquor, Irish Mist
Packagingbulk, tin
Strength
Taste

Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A good aromatic with an irish mist topping. This is a pretty good blend as aromatics go and this is what I would expect from C & D, who is known for high quality burley leaf and not using PG in their products. So for this fact alone I will give it three aromatic stars.

What is keeping me from awarding a fourth star is two fold. The first would be that I seldom looked forward to a bowl of this and used it mainly as a way for me to enjoy a smoke while putting off a pleasant room aroma. But the second, and more important reason, is my discovery of CAO's Eileen's Dream. It is a similar based blend with the same type of topping that I really enjoy. So much so, that Upon opening a tin of the latter, I gave the rest of my Nutty Irishman away. There wasn't too much left.

JimInks (1907)

I get a little toast and nut flavor from the burley, but a lot of it is covered up by the toppings. The Frangelico has an essence of hazelnut that barely notice, though the Irish creme is more obvious. I see a little black cavendish in here, but it must be unsweetened because I'm not really getting any vanilla from it. It's a little moist, and may need a slight dry time, but it burns well enough with a consistent, if fairly routine taste. Leaves a little moisture in the bowl, and requires a few relights. Has little nicotine, and won't bite or get harsh. The after taste is weak. It's pleasant enough for a work day smoke.

GMan58 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GMan58 (2)

I was pleasantly surprised by this blend. It smelled great in the can..noting nuts and sweetness. When I smoked it tho...it wasnt at all what I expected. Maybe my tastebuds are different but to me Nutty Irishman was like smoking the equivalent of a spiked holiday eggnog...and I liked it. This is going to be a brand I will smoke again.

Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I've smoked a few Hazlenut flavored tobaccos before but the extract version only. This was my first (and probably last) foray into the world of Frangelico flavored leaf. The nutty alcoholic essence (thus the name, maybe?) just didn't do anything for me or the Burley within. Kind of a downer... Oh well.

King Weed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King Weed (103)

I'm a NASPC member and work a shift on the front table at our annual show. People give us items to raffle-off and lots of them are tins of tobacco. This year, in addition to the many unopened tins we received, were four tins that were opened and half full. We winnowed them out and, at the end of the show, another member and I split them. Nutty Irishman was one that I took and smoking it has led to this review. I liked this blend as soon as I sniffed it and smoked it. The tin aroma is somewhat akin to sniffing hazelnut coffee beans, in addition to traditional tobacco aromas. Smoking this blend was an interesting experience. The tin aroma did not translate to the smoking aroma at all (that I could perceive) and the first bowl broke down into a sequence of experiences. The top fourth of the bowl was devoted completely to burning off the practically unnoticeable toppings and allowing the Virginia components to run in front of the burley. At about the third bowl mark things mutated into a wonderful smoke of burley and black Cavendish tastes that was four star material on it's own. Unfortunately, this all unraveled somewhere in the bottom third of the smoke. I can echo the sentiments of reviewer Ivycap 2010-09-11 in that I thought that this blend became tasteless, ashy and hot in the bottom third. So, smoking it puts the taste and aroma of your smoke all over the place. Still, I can recommend it - three stars.

Pipe Used: LX Ashton Old Church author

Age When Smoked: 2 yrs old

Purchased From: gifted at 2015 NASPC show

Similar Blends: a weaker (and drier) version of Cellar Reserve.

The Sunday Evening Pipe Smoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Sunday Evening Pipe Smoker (29)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Tin note: Hazelnut (C&D call it Frangelico, but what it amounts to is hazelnut in other words; that is what Frangelico tastes like. They also mention whiskey -- Irish Mist specifically -- but for whatever reason I always have trouble discerning a whiskey flavour in any blend. To me it just comes across as a slight sweetness.)

Taste: Hazelnut, hazelnut -- and, oh, did I mention hazelnut?

If I were to put this in a nutshell it would be this: If you like hazelnut flavoured coffees, chances are pretty high you are going to like this. If you don't, you probably won't like it.

It's actually a pretty good blend. I don't have many aromatics I'd consider cellaring -- Lane 1 Q and Cult Blood Red Moon have been the only two I'd consider doing that with so far (and I haven't yet) -- but this one I would and plan to do just that.

I smoked it on a cool summer evening and it was great. I could also see it being a nice autumn or winter's evening smoke. It could even be considered a Christmas smoke.

I think this one will probably become my top aromatic for when I want a change from my norm. Something about the flavour of nuts, like dark fruit, just seems to work really well with tobacco. Cult Blood Red Moon can get a bit ashy toward the bottom, but I didn't find this with Nutty Irishman. Nutty Irishman too has a more distinctive flavour than Lane 1 Q (though I think Lane 1 Q still wins the room note war) and that is more often than not what I want when I decide to pick up an aro instead of my usual picks like Old Dark Fired, Aperitif, Brown Sugar Flake, Cut Virginia Plug or Frog Morton's Cellar; i want a dessert blend at that point.

Definitely worth trying and definitely worth tossing some tins in the cellar. I doubt it will age any better mind you, but just to have some around in case it disappears off the market.

Stinkypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stinkypipe (156)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I never did like Irish Mist so when a guy in our group shared a little of this I had my doubts. Smelled like Irish Mist and nuts right out of the bag. Light up gave me plenty of that Irish Mist flavor along with some nuts. You know while I did not care that much for the overall taste it was a rather pleasing smoke. I can see if someone drinks Irish Mist they would love this blend and the nutty background is nice. To me not in my rotation but it was a nice smoke.

Pipe Used: Johs dublin

Age When Smoked: Not sure.

Chief 32 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chief 32 (3)
Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

What a treat! Upon cracking open the tin I noted the frangelico and Irish mist right off the bat. First bowl was delicious mild smoke, about half way I notice I needed to slow down just a bit. The "one who loves me" loves both frangelico and Irish Mist and therefore has given "the nod" of tin & room note approval. This, for now, has become my #2 go to blend.

Age When Smoked: 2014

Purchased From: BnB

Sybariten Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sybariten (58)

A very boring tobacco that gives off a sweet scent pre-light. As soon as it is lit the sweetness is revealed to be but a scent, not a taste. The nuttyness it's named after is nowhere to be found, it's all a dull taste of ash that is quite unpleasant. Never again.

Pipe Used: Jean Claude Bent exclusive

Similar Blends: Waking up hung over after smoking cigarettes all night..

Retreiverguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Retreiverguy (2)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Tried a 2 oz tin - before I knew it, it was gone! Good tin aroma, nice room note. Smokes cool in my briar if you let it burn slowly. If you're a fast puffer, then it can get hot and lose some of the taste. Needs to dry a little after opening about a week or so. I just bought another 2 tins - opened one today and will start using it next week.

Pipe Used: Peterson

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Similar Blends: nothing I've tried before..

schramalam77 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
schramalam77 (2)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

This is a nice mild smoke. It is slightly sweety without a sugary or overwhelming taste. The room note is pleasant and mild. It has great flavor without overdoing the flavors of each ingredient.

Pipe Used: Karl Erik freehand

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (290)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Nutty Irishman has a delicious tin aroma that's not that far off from their newest Mixture Monster Blend in that it has a Toffee, Cream aroma. Taste is the same without a bite which is extraordinary for an aromatic that is this moist and delicious smelling, Recommended for aromatic Cavendish smokers, you guys will really appreciate C&D's use of fine leaf and top shelf toppings.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Comment = Smooth, Mild, Mellow, nice Carmel Taste, a very enjoyable smoke

BradS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BradS (22)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

I read the description of this blend and wanted to like it. I love Frangelico in a brandy snifter, so thought Nutty Irishman should be a wonderful aromatic.

I bought 2oz and thought it smelled wonderful in the bag. It seemed like a cross between Frangelico (hazelnut liquor) and Bailey's Irish Creme. I loaded a bowl and at first light thought it had a chemical taste. I hoped if I smoked the bowl down, it might get better, but it did not.

I've also had experiences where a second bowl is sometimes better than the first. I filled and lit another a few days later and NOPE! It was still funky and had a chemical taste. I didn't taste hazelnut, irish mist or anything else for that matter. It was just bad, and I'm sad to say it.

I love aro's and about half of my regular rotation is comprised of them. Nutty Irishman will not be a keeper for me. I don't even plan to finish my 2 oz bag.

Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

It's a decent tasting aromatic, but make no mistake, it is very much an aromatic and not much else. Not wet or goopy. An overall decent smoke of it's genre. Worth trying a tin if you're into aromatic tobaccos.

ivycap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ivycap (63)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Beautiful tin aroma. One of the few aros that can taste as good as it smells. Has a nice sweet almond-like taste and aroma. If you've ever smelled almond scented lotion it is kind of like that. Very alluring. It does kind of muddy and become ashy toword the end of the smoke. It burns a little hot as well.